Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Mystery continuouly flowering cactus

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cheerfulsower
Billerica, MA

February 12, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9417209

I was given the pictured plant as a cutting from a colleague who also received it as a gift, but without a name. It is a spectacular specimen about a foot and a half high with a long woody stem (pictured). From the moment it started flowering a couple of years ago, it has not stopped--winter or summer (also pictured).

It thrives in a sun-bathed, south-facing window and enjoys twice-weekly waterings.

Identification would be appreciated!

Thumbnail by cheerfulsower   Thumbnail by cheerfulsower
Click an image for an enlarged view.

vngarden
Seattle, WA

February 12, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9417229

Euphorbia milii? It does flower profusely.
cheerfulsower
Billerica, MA

February 13, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9418238

Your identification is convincing, vngarden. Common names include Crown of Thorns, Christ Plant and Christ Thorn.
After searching further, I remain unsure whether it is Euphorbia milii var. splendens or var. imperatae. It is not clear to me if the leaf shape is variable or the slightly inset tip on my plant is indicative of one variety or another. More photos of var. imperatae show a similar leaf, but occasionally some images come up under the (possibly) more common var. spendens.
I will mark this as solved, but if anyone can distinguish the variety, the refinement would be appreciated.
SuziQ4u
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
1:43 AM

Post #9430593

I have this plant within my grandmother's garden. It is very old, approximately 40 years. It flowers a vibrant color of red, and I do not recall ever seeing new blooms in a lighter shade or varying color, as within your photo. It stands approximately 3 to 3.5 feet tall, and it spreads above ground in a peculiar fashion (perhaps due to being in a white marble rock garden). It is not currently in bloom, but I expect it to be soon. I have one or two photos of it in bloom and will post them for comparison, once I can locate them (I am a photographer, so it will be like finding a needle in a haystack...I took it long ago).

Edit: I just walked out there and noticed blooms, but I do think it was dormant for a while, due to the irrigation system being in need of repair and our prolonged drought. It has an extremely heated southern exposure for approximately half the day, and usually receives watering every day with our typical afternoon showers, simply not this past year.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 5:34 AM
SuziQ4u
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9431869

Cheerful, these may not help you much. They were taken with a beach trashed Xsi, and I was attempting to focus upon the flowers themselves. I will take some better ones for you this week, ensuring I detail the leaves and entire plant, posting them later in the week. I am curious as to their difference.

Thumbnail by SuziQ4u   Thumbnail by SuziQ4u   Thumbnail by SuziQ4u   Thumbnail by SuziQ4u   Thumbnail by SuziQ4u
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America