Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: can you sex these chooks?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 17, Views: 161
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 12, 2013
9:16 PM

Post #9417302

I was told all these chickens are girls but i know nothing about chickens and always thought only the roosters get that red bit on there face but girls get it to dont they? some of these dont have it (pic 2 & 4)and some do (pic 1, 3 & 5), are they still all girls?

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 12, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9417311

these 1 & 2 im pretty sure are girls. not sure about 3 and 4 pics. Last pic is my rooster, well the only one i bought as a rooster. Im confused!

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

February 12, 2013
9:32 PM

Post #9417312

do i have to worm them or vaccinate them? what else? thanks!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 13, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9417478

Several of them seem to be Silkies, or part - the ones with black skin. I am not good at sexing them. Their hair-do tends to be more swept back if they are roosters and more over the eyes if hens. On the others, look for pointy saddle feathers which roosters but not hens have. From the pictures, I think they could all be hens.

I do not vaccinate or routinely deworm any of mine.

The main thing chickens need from their owners is solid protection from predators at night.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
10:22 PM

Post #9426243

I agree with Porkpal. You will know soon enough however because roosters will crow and soon after that they begin showing off to the girls.

We don't vaccinate our chickens either. We do deworm them once a year though.

Make sure they have a source of calcium such as crushed oyster shells or crushed egg shells.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

March 18, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9454025

Whats everyone think about the sex of these chooks now. I think these ones are roosters. The have the red bit and alot of my others dont have that? even though i have a few full grown girls that are a different breed and they do have it(see photo 4 the black hen in the background). They also have 2 toes at the back of there foot(see in 1st photo) and the ones im sure are the girls dont have this? these ones have a sticking up tail and the girl ones dont?
That 2nd photo im sure ive heard it crow but i cant be sure, it looks least like a rooster out of them all. It could have been another one that crowed though.
Any help would be appreciated as i'll have to try to give the boys away or else kill them.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2013 9:15 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy   

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 18, 2013
9:22 PM

Post #9454255

#2 is the only one that looks like a rooster to me: larger wattles and longer tail feathers. None of them have the classic rooster saddle feathers. What breed are they? Dorkings all have an extra toe.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

March 19, 2013
2:30 AM

Post #9454354

Thanks! Hopefully it is the only rooster then. all i know is that there silkie x, someone did say they look like silkie x bantum but im not completely sure. I looked up Dorking and ill have to check them out but maybe they are silkie x Dorking. Only some have the 5 toes so some much have through back to silkie and some not.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2013 5:34 AM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 19, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9454476

Their Silkie heritage may also confuse their feathering, so I may not be very helpful.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

March 22, 2013
3:08 AM

Post #9457791

porkpal- your right this one is a rooster, it crowed this morning for the 1st time. Hopefully none of the others do.
2. This is the one i bought as a rooster, he hasnt crowed yet, hopefully he doesnt and his a girl. hehe! He does look like a rooster though but they all do to me. I only want one rooster.

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy         

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 22, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9457888

#2 is very colorful for a hen...

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

March 22, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9458348

0www so i have 2 roosters, as long as no more are then.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

April 16, 2013
2:52 PM

Post #9486352

the 4 of those chickens in my post 9454025 are roosters. Dam! what are the chances that i buy 9 chooks and 5 are roosters. Im only left with 4 chickens. not fair. Last time i buy unknown sex chickens. I did have a feeling these looked like roosters with that red bit on there face while the others didnt have it yet.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2013 5:53 PM
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9487156

Bummer!!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2013
2:57 PM

Post #9602675

If you got 4 hens out of 9 straight run, that's not bad from my experience. I suspect they pull out the pullets and sell the rest as "straight run".

I had a batch of 7 chicks this winter and 5 were roos.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 17, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9602715

Hey, I once bought 6 Jersey Giant pullets and got 4 Minorca hens and 2 Minorca roosters! - and two of the pullets flew over the fence and fed themselves to the dogs before I realized they were not (non-flying) Jersey Giants.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

July 17, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9602738

nah. i bought mine from a back yard breeder and she was positive they were all hens but as they got older they started to crow. hehe! i didnt pay much so i just got rid of them.
I bought a chook, it flew out so i caught it and clipped its wing and it can still fly so i clipped its other wing. weird!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2013
10:03 PM

Post #9603098

These araucana babies can jump several feet high even at two weeks old. That was new for me, as silkies can't fly and can't jump very high. Araucanas are FAST too, like little quail. No way could I catch them!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America