Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: pruning roses

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 5, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GingerGaia
West Monroe, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9418070

I'm in zone 8 north louisiana and for over 25 yrs I cut back my roses starting on presidents day. Thenthis year after a 4 yr house bound illness I'm finally physically able to get back into myrose garden. YEAH!!! Now I read in louisiana gardener that you should have your roses cut back by Valentimes day. I've been working at it, but no way. We are talking 100 roses with no care for 4 yrs. I spent 4 hrs today battling a mix of baby blanket roses and throny brambles. My sweet Penny ( mini dachsund) got so tangled she begged to come in. Only got thru 2! That brings the count up to 37 in 2 wks.( lots of rain) So did theychange when to prune due to globel warming or what? My town got changed from 8a to 8 b.anyone else chane when they prune?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 13, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9418123

I actually don't prune my roses at all, but I don't think it is that critical when you do it except for once-bloomers which should be cut back only after they bloom each year. The garden gurus in Houston say Valentines day too.
txaggiegal
Belton, TX

February 14, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9418704

I have been convinced for years that the idea of prunning on Valentine's Day is somehow tied to marketing! Too much depends on the kind of rose...

As usual, Porkpal...you give good advice. I have and raise more than 150 different rose species and prune none on Valentine's Day...I usually prune the Old Garden Roses in the fall and the perpetual bloomers when I want to bring cut flowers into the house -- usually the winter!...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9418897

GingerGaia
in the past two years I have been pruning my roses earlier in January.
I had no choice, because the bulbs and perennials I planted around the roses are popping out and blooming at least one month earlier in the past two years.
I have seen no difference on how my roses are performing.
GingerGaia
West Monroe, LA
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2013
10:30 PM

Post #9419531

THANKS everyone. I'm just doing as many as I can every dry day we have. I spent today prunimg out dead growth on minis and transplantimg them to new homes. Do to physical li,mitations I'm taking out beds at the end of my 200' driveway. Am also reverting large beds im center of back yard to grass. My son has helped me with digging up and movimg large roses after I trim them. It has been so hard to stick to pruning task when so much else needs doing as well. But as my son says " Mom, the garden isn't going any where we will get it done."
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

April 13, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9482827

Here in Virginia, a good time to prune is when the Forsythia bloom. But I got that itchy pruning finger, and had at 'em a month before. I have Heritage roses. They are sending out growth just beautifully! Sure wish I could stash some climbers in amongst them..but there is NO ROOM.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America