Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: OVRG#197 Spring around the corner???

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 155, Views: 1,587
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 15, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9419592

We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287581/

Well, yesterday started off really well and ended pretty crummy.

Got over to the farm and put the sheep out. Some of them are so near lambing that they need a wide load sign. Put the two pots of salsa on the wood stove in the basement to start cooking while I worked on some of the last of the apples. Cleaned some house and made one batch of apple blueberry jam before I ran out of jelly jars. Got the salsa in the jars and DH came in saying that one of the cows appeared to be having trouble and he had a call in to the vet. Well, long story short, the vet was there for almost 4 hours working on the cow. The calf was dead and had apparently been so for a while and they had to extract it piece by piece. DH said it probably weighed over 200 pounds. Poor Kate came to the house before they were done, green around the gills and said she was never going to be a vet, doctor or nurse, said she didn't want supper, grabbed her stuff ahd went home. The cow was still alive when we left the farm last night but I haven't gotten a report from this morning. Like I said in the previous thread, when the vet gets an emergency call from us, he knows it's going to be a bad one. I suspect whatever she brings on the market when she gets better will probably pay for this vet bill.

Anyway, up to then it was a pretty good day.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2013 7:32 AM
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9419637

Sorry about the cow and calf Janet, but those things do happen, and all farmers know there are losses to absorb. Sounds like you had a pretty productive day up till that time.

I just did some laundry and ran some errands. DH is in Indiana hunting, so it was very quiet around here.

Today I am having lunch with our retired ministers wife, so am looking forward to that, as we always have a good time.

Need to head to the shower and wash yesterday away, and get moving.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9419986

Good afternoon everyone.
It's been snowing here..off n on. First it gets white..then it melts off...then it happens all over again. Melting is good. Tonight is supposed to get super cold again.
Ready for Spring...yessss..more than ready!
I did my shopping yesterday because of the weather report of snow...so just kinda being lazy today.
I made heart cookies for valentines day...and gave to the kids...big and little kids. I made a double batch..and still have some to frost..guess I should go do that.
Sorry about your kitty Pat. Mine is getting up there too..and we can tell she has really slowed down this winter...and seems to get cold very easily too.
Just like me!
Janet...I think that would do it for me also..on the medical field...yuk. Didn't think I had a weak stomach..but that made me think different.
Ok..I best get busy here!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 15, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9420501

Not too sure what I got done today other than two batches of salsa. I've been putting them on the wood stove in the basement and they cook pretty well down there. Since we're burning the wood anyway, I might as well save a little electricity. Went to town and of course spent a bunch of money. Picked up some more jam jars. I think this summer we're going in with another market vendor and going to Arkansas to buy a few pallets of jars. They're supposed to be fairly cheap if you buy that many and the way I'm going I could easily use a pallet.

The cow is still alive. She hasn't gotten up yet but she's eating and drinking so that's good. Hopefully tomorrow.

I was going to make my MIL coconut candy for Valentine's Day. I guess it'll be a late Valentine's Day present instead as I still haven't gotten it done. They've told her she can come home Wed. so reckon I'd better have it done by then.

I think it's time to head to bed. I'm starting to see the inside of my eyelids.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9424606

I WANT SSSPPPPRRRRINNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9424804

Pat, so do I. The wind blew so hard today, and it was blowing nothing but COLD air. I am so ready.

Today I took Mr. B to the nursing home with me, and he was a hit with the residents. They have a resident JRT named Chrissy, and Mr. B met her, I think it was love at first sight. Chrissy followed us everywhere we went, so the residents got two dog visits today. They say Chrissy lays at the nurse's station most of the time, but she sure was lively today!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9425069

Oh, boy, romance is in the air at the nursing home!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 20, 2013
4:18 AM

Post #9425171

Yes, that wind was cold yesterday. Sure dried out the ground from the rain the night before.

We managed to get some garden plowed before it started raining. At least that's a start towards getting things moving around here.
I'm still making salsa. Been doing two batches a day. Since we've got one of those big Fischer stoves in my MIL's basement I start the pots on it. You'd be amazed how good it cooks big pots. You just have to give it time. Cooks without much worry about scorching. I'm making a dent in that freezer of tomatoes.

I'm going to look at two hoop houses today in Louisville. Supposedly they are 10X80. A little more narrow than I would like but I could possibly put them side by side and make it a 20 X 80 which would be quite nice. Now we'll have to see just how cheaply I could get them. We'd have to take them down so that's an additional problem of course.

Bonnie, I imagine that folks will start to look forward to your visits. My MIL is coming home from Cardinal Hill today. She's done remarkably well in her therapy and is busting to get out of there. They're a good bunch but home is always better.

Better get on with the day. Later all!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9425211

Today is grocery day. Need to get started but had to check in here first.

Janet, I hope you are able to negotiate a good price on the hoop houses, and darn it, hire some help if needed to get them dismantled and then set up again at your place. Seems our DH's can do everything else, but, no ain't gonna go there and ruin my day.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 20, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9426051

I am heading into 4 days of continuing education. I will go to seminars in the mornings, and work nights on Thurs and Fri, and just seminars all day Saturday and Sunday. Sadly, no time for much else till that's over.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9426074

Celene wishing you good learning at your seminar. Wow, must be intense, but guess they have to have you cram to get everything in.

Janet, let's plan lunch. Next week, I am free the 25th, 27th or March 1, that is Monday, Wednesday or Friday, either Frankfort or Shelbyville. Just let me know.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2013
9:40 PM

Post #9426231

Good Lord, Celene, is there that much vital continuing education, or is it "just" a licensing requirement? It could be worse, I guess-- you could be teaching in a public school!

It is freezing in here tonight. DS stopped by to tinker with my puter before he goes off to London again. He leaves Saturday for a 2 week trip. Maybe he'll be there long enough to get some sightseeing done this time.
Pat
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2013
9:46 PM

Post #9426233

DS did send me this picture of me & my lovely late kitty.

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 21, 2013
3:05 AM

Post #9426313

I love continuing ed, this year they have exotic pet behavior classes, they've never had that before. You only NEED 8 hours every 2 years, but I generally take 75-100 per year.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9427545

Have y'all decided on a spring RU date yet? I might try to visit.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9429892

Hey Darius!

We decided a few years back the Spring RU Date is set on Saturday, Memorial Day Weekend.
So May 25, 2013...
REALLY hope you can come!!!!
We've missed you!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 24, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9430348

I put in to NOT be on call. Woo hoo!

My brain is tired. I feel better now that I had a home-cooked meal, though.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9430356

Celene did you cook it or does your DH cook and treat you when you are away like that?

Janet, yahoo, are you home?

Darius, here is hoping that I will be able to make the RU this year. I had just gotten out of the hospital with pneumonia the day before the RU last year.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 24, 2013
7:12 PM

Post #9430431

My husband can't cook. If he tries, he has the "giant implement syndrome". He will use the largest spoons, bowls, pots and pans possible. If he scrambles two eggs, he uses a three gallon mixing bowl and a griddle that covers two burners. lol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2013
3:58 AM

Post #9430629

I won't really know until almost the last minute if I can come to the RU or not. Our Virginia RU is 2 weeks before yours, plus I have an appointment in mid-May with a cardiosurgeon to talk about surgery for the aneurysm they found in early February.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9430805

Good morning everyone!
Well the sun is shining brightly here...and warming up slowly. It was 35 degrees when I walked into the kitchen this morning...much better than it has been!
I have been having computer problems..well..actually..modem problems. I hope to get it worked out today though. Very annoying!
All is well at my house..other than that.
Have to do some running around today..bank..license bureau...dr...etc. Just those little things that need to be done now and then!
Hope you all have a wonderful day out there.
~~~~~~wavin to you ALL!!!!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9433851

Celene, I had to giggle at description of hubby's cooking habits. Was it Rita WIlson who said that men will cook if there is danger involved? As in fire, barbecue, deep fried anything... I think giant implement syndrome would be a cinch compared to "set the porch on fire" type. How was your CE? Did you learn anything too good not to share? I know zip about exotic pet behavior. I'm not even that good with routine pet behavior, actually.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do the RU this spring. I got too tired to do the cemetery run last year, and I'm feeling the need to get that done this year. It's pitiful to not be able to be functional for 2 days in a row!
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2013
6:43 PM

Post #9434108

Pat, oh, boo hoo. Can't you make a vacation of it, and maybe spend the night in a hotel, and take your time with the cemetery? Just think we could meet your cute little pooch!

I am hoping to be able to come this year, as I plan to be healthy and not in the hospital, or just getting out.

Had to take my older DS to the cardiologist in Louisville this afternoon, and I was so very lucky to get caught in afternoon rush hour. I needed about 3 nerve pills when I got home. If I had had them with me, I would have taken them while I was sitting in traffic.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 28, 2013
1:25 AM

Post #9434241

Continuing Ed was great. I think the most profound thing that I learned was the effects of generalized anxiety and stress on dogs and cats, and how we don't give that enough consideration when we could help these animals.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9434763

Hey, everybody! Wish me luck and patience. Older DS and I are going shopping for a new area rug for the living room.

Celene, tell me more... our little pooch has been peeing inside-- a lot-- and I'm wondering if she has a bladder infection or doesn't want to get her paws wet going outside.

Bonnie, Part of going on the holiday weekend is the pleasure of taking some flowers to the graves. My maternal grandparents were avid gardeners-- we had something like 50 rosebushes when we all lived together, plus veggies and bulbs pretty much anything else you can think of. So I usually go around the yard and pick anything that's blooming, put it in a bucket, load up the van with empty vases, and we arrange them there at the cemetery. It doesn't sound like much, but once I'm tired, I'm just done for. I'll talk to Susan and see if she's wqilling to drive and we'll see. I love seeing everyone and I've gotten some great swaps, but I only have x amount of energy.

Janet, how is that cow doing? And your MIL? And you, too!

Lou, are you lurking? How are you doing?
Pat

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 28, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9435022

The only way to tell is to have a urinalysis done. My dog has been known to hold it until she's ready to explode to avoid going outside. Good thing she's a tough ole pit bull. *eyeroll* The pansiest dog I have EVER owned.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 1, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9435215

Bonnie, I owe you a phone call and a lunch date. Seems like when there was enough time to talk it is either too early in the morning or too late at night to bother someone or where I am is too noisy to hear someone over the phone.

Things have been a little bit busy. The cow died which wasn't surprising with what she went through. Then we got a call at 3:30 one morning from DD at the farm that an ewe had prolapsed and we needed to get over there. She'd prolapsed the vagina so we had the vet out to sew her up. By the next day we clipped the stitches because we thought she was in labor. Then the neighbor put a prolapse paddle on her. We went on for a day or so and they then determined that the lamb was dead and we gave her some stuff to try to help her abort the lamb. Long story short, she didn't abort and she died. I know if this ever happens again that as soon as it's determined that the lamb is dead we're not waiting for her to pass it on her own. I think she died because of septicemia, or however it's spelled. DD was afraid to go in after the lamb since the poor ewe had already been through so much but if we'd gone in there after it I don't think it would have been any worse. Anyway, new lesson learned.

Then, we went to Louisville and bought 2 hoop houses that have to be dismantled and moved to the farm. Of course they're in worse shape than I thought and I imagine I gave too much money for them given the rust but what's done is done. Have spent two days this week tearing them down and still aren't done. They wanted them out by today but that isn't happening and they'll just have to wait until we get them done. Yesterday was spent feeding hay all morning. The mud out there is like walking in quicksand. By noon I was exhausted and thrilled that he said we weren't going to work on the hoop houses. But when I get them home and up I should have two 15X75 ft high tunnels. HOORAY for that!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 2, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9436734

It pays to be friendly with the cashier at the garden store. They had four or five packets of bulbs that had label damage. They sold them to me for $1 each. So...I have a bag of Atom gladiolus, Aaron caladiums, some kinda pink canna with bronze foliage, and Lucifer crocosmias. SCORE!!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9436928

Celene, wow what a score. I bought some "I don't know whats" in a bag, no label, but it is a bulb, and it was $1.00. Of course, until I identify it, don't know where to plant it! It has 5 bulbs in the package!

Janet, wow, you have really been hard at work. Don't worry about the call, I know how busy you are, but we do need to get together for lunch before we forget what each other looks like!

DGD and I went to town this morning. She wanted to get her eyebrows waxed so we did that, went to the library and got a movie that she wanted me to see, then had breakfast at DQ in town. The weather was so nasty snowing, blowing and down right frigid. I had said I wanted to go to Sam's but changed my mind. We came home and watched the movie and then later while I was cooking supper, she wanted to make a stained glass cancer ribbon, and she worked on that until just a bit ago. She also repaired 3 necklaces for me. They had lost clasps and she had the patience to put them back together for me.

So Pat, did you find the area rug? Anything new usually requires some pictures, hint hint!

Marcy, hope that you are enduring the weather without too much pain.

Spring isn't as far away as it has been, so let's all cheer up and really get into cheering for it to get here quickly!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 2, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9436953

Baker's Acres opened today, and I stopped by for a look. That means it's spring :)
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2013
3:08 AM

Post #9437115

I think we've decided on a rug, Bonnie, but it won't be in for another couple of weeks. It won't be anything exciting... We will be replacing one black wool shag area rug with a charcoal grey polyester shag rug, slightly larger than the wool one. DS is fond of modern furniture and we now have a grey couch, and dark grey granite hearth, and I said that we need toast the walls the whitest white we can stand, because otherwise we might as well be living in a slate mine! I got myself a small area rug for my bedroom and its bright blue and cream.

I've gotten tickets for War Horse when it comes to Cincinnati at the end of the month. I saw a tv show on how they stage it, with 3 actors operating this incredible leather and wooden horse, and I just have to see it in person. Susan will go see it with me. We went to see a movie called Side Effects last weekend and it was much better than I expected. It's one of those where you think you have it figured out, but the plot keeps twisting and turning. Very clever.

Janet, I'm so sorry about your cow and then the ewe, too. What can I say...birthing is hazardous no matter what your species! Good news about getting the hoop houses, tho, or at least it will be when they're up and functioning.

Back to birthing for a minute. Did anyone watch Call the Midwife on public tv? It was on Masterpiece Theater for a while, about some nurse midwives who worked in the East End of London in the 1950's. it was really, really delightful. It's based on books by a real nurse midwife, and the books are pretty interesting, too. Another thumbs up from me, as I apparently have nothing to do but read books and watch TV and go to plays and movies!!!
Pat
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2013
3:12 AM

Post #9437116

Google "War Horse broadway images" and you'll need why I'm so fascinated with the stage version.
Pat
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 3, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9437163

UGH! Where is spring. Last year I had garden in the ground a week and a half by now and was planting my onions by the 8th of March! I don't think that's gonna happen this year. I do have some lettuce, spinach and Swiss chard up and going in the little greenhouse. Need to plant some more.

It's snowing right now and DH hinted at going to Fern Creek to work on the hoop house. I want to but I don't. They're feeding right now so maybe he'll change his mind.

Haven't seen any of those movies. DD said she had War Horse from Netflix so maybe I can see if before she sends it back. Just got too much that I need to be doing that I can't seem to make happen.

dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9437766

Hi to all of you! I've been lurking and staying up with everyone's posts. We got a new grandbaby, a boy named Zeke, on 19th of Dec. We went to Texas right after Christmas and wallered the baby til after New Years and then we went to Florida for two months. It was the first time Dave and I have been away for that long. We really enjoyed the time. Our next door neighbors bought a second house in an over 55 community and we were fortunate enough to be able to rent one of the homes close to theirs. My daughter came and watered my many indoor plants and they survived better than I thought they would. I hate this cold weather, but I realize that I will appreciate Spring more when it does arrive. Last March was so very warm and nice and I got the gardens cleaned up and everything was really starting to grow early. I don't think we are going to be that lucky this year. LOL I've been thinking so much about Sue and praying that this one year anniversary will pass with Sue remebering only the good and that what is too painful to remember, she will simply choose to forget.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all at the round up . Pat I hope you work out a way of making the cemetery run and the round up too. Has anyone heard from Michelle ? I hope things are going okay with them.

I have to start doing the taxes now.UGH! I usually have it done by the end of Jan. but the post office was miserable about forwarding our mail, and I still am missing some forms that I know I should have received by now.

Everyone have a good week and try to stay warm. Lurker Lou
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9437788

I don't know how to get the picture of Zeke turned right side up. Sorry!

Thumbnail by dispatcher1   Thumbnail by dispatcher1         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9437952

Lou, even upside down he is a cute little fella. Almost looks months old instead of a newborn. Good to hear from you, I was beginning to think that maybe you were sick. I know the only sickness here is sick of winter and ready for spring. They were talking on the news last night that it was the anniversary of the horrible tornado in Indiana last year. They said it was over 80 degrees, and I do remember it being so unseasonably warm for that time of year. Unless things turn around overnight, then I don't think we have to rush to get our shorts and sleeveless tops out anytime soon!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9438465

The second upside down photo is of him at 10 wks. old. He was a little fella at birth, but it looks like he is filling out now. I don't know how to turn the pic up right, sorry. I need a resident geek and I don't have one anymore. LOL Lou
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2013
11:41 AM

Post #9438525

Hey everyone.
Just tryin to keep warm here! I am like everyone else...soooo ready for Spring!!
The modem went out on my puter...I thought! Called the phone company..and they sent me a new one...then..more probs!
Kept getting booted off...after much investigation...on MY part...not theirs...I decided the new modem is bad! I also found out my old one will work...as long as I don't let it get hot...meaning...I don't leave my puter on all day now. I still have to call the phone co and let them know the new one isnt right. Just hate all the explaining, etc that involves.
Supposed to get another big snowstorm here tomorrow..grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
Sooo..gonna hop in the car..and get to the library while I can.
Stay warm!!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9438624

Marcy, sounds like you may have a defective fan in your modem. Take the tower apart and clean it really good, and that should take care of the problem. Embarrasing, I know to see how dirty they get, but it is an easy fix.

Lou, you are right the baby is growing fast. Hope that it slows down and you don't have a giant on your hands.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9439296

Happy Birthday Lou the lurker. Hope you celebrate your special day in whatever way you want!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9439531

Thanks!~ I'm doing absolutley nothing, so it is a good day. It's raining, which is better than snowing, and I have an afghan and a good book I'm reading. Warm and cozy ! All is good with my day!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 5, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9439551

I am off to work. I have a clicker class tonight and ONE person wants to come in tonight and not reschedule. C'mon...5" of snow? Why? Because they think it's FANTASTIC that they'll get an extra class, because I'll do class #1 again next week. The joke: After you initially pay for the class, you can repeat it as many times as you want for free. Without getting snowed in at the vet clinic. hahahaha
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9439724

Lou, Happy Birthday! You're lookin good and so is the rest of the crowd in your pictures. (If you have Windows, I think I can probably talk you thru re-orienting the photo. D-Mail me if you want to try.) I'll tell Chelle about the RU. I am not sure if they have internet at the moment.

Janet, the movie of War Horse is not so great. (It uses real horses.) The stage play is wild because it uses all sorts of puppets for animals. Some are like push toys for kids-- like a goose in one scene. And others are horses that are operated by two or three different actors (2 underneath the leather and bamboo framework and one that operates that head & eyes & mouth). The wierd thing is that you can clearly see the actors who are playing the horse, but after a little while, you just forget they're there. In other words, they seem more real that the real horses in the war horse movie. The human actors ride them, fall off of them, etc. It's set in World War I when millions of horses died, along with millions of troops and of civilians, because Kaiser WIlhelm didn't stop listening to Bismarck, the Tsar was an autocratic loner who had no idea how to govern, and now I'll stop raving.

However, if you're going to watch a movie, I'd watch Argo. Can't go wrong with that one.

Waiting on the snow. I may run out and get my shingles vaccine shot before I forget it again.

Josh called from the British Museum to crow about having seen the Rosetta Stone. I don't think he reads hieroglyphics (spelling?) but he said it was impressive.

Pat
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9440563

Hey all.
Bonnie, I have no tower...my computer is one of those all in one jobbies. I LOVE it! But yeah...thats what is wrong with the modem. My son said take a flashlight and peer into the slots on it...and you can see if the fan is moving. It's not. Good news is, my other son gave me his modem that he no longer needs...and its the same as mine!
Before I forget...Happy belated birthday Lou!!! I hope it was a good day for you!
Oh...and Celene, that Atom glad that you got? Did you know that is an heirloom variety..and it is very hardy? I have had them for some yrs now in my garden. They always come back and even multiply slowly. That is..if it is the same one...mine is red with white edges...smaller flowers than most gladiolas..did i spell that right?? Anyway..you might google it, and see what you find?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 6, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9440639

That is the same one, good to know it's hardy for you. I had it planned for right against a south wall, that is my "bumped up to zone 6 at least" bed.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9440904

Mine sits right out in the open...in a low spot even. I think maybe they multiply by seed...and thats why they are slow.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 6, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9441218

If you had to guesstimate how many years to flower, what would you say? The green ones that I have multiply by offsets.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9442658

mmmmm...If you are talking about bulbs...I think the first year? If..seeds...probably 2-3 yrs. I'm not positive they multiply by seed...but they seem to come up kind of far away from the original to be bulblets. They arent way far ...but still?
Green ones?? Did you mean you have green ones that are hardy too?
Good morning everyone..got carried away here about glads.
We have bright sunshine this morning..woohooo! That alone, is enough to make a person feel better!
It is supposed to warm up more this afternoon..and then tomorrow...ohh wow...in 50s!!! I cant wait!!!
This weather almost makes it pleasant to go to the grocery today...LOL!!! I just hate loading groceries in the car in the rain or snow!
I hope you all have a wonderful day out there..whatever u do!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 8, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9442734

The green ones are hardy for me, they grow through some artemisias and do fine, but they are sited right on a sunny south wall. Looks great with artemisias and salvias.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9442748

Good morning, sunny and bright outside. I got up at 4:30 and have spent the time inbetween now and then studying and preparing a sermon for this Sunday. Good and quiet. DH is gone to Indiana for the day, so the only noise I had was the running refrigerator and the ticking clock!

Marcy, I hate to go to the grocery anytime. Wish I had a personal shopper who would do that for me, and just bring them home and I would put them away. I get so disgusted about how many times you have to handle an item from the shelf to your pantry.

I need to balance my checkbook and some other paper chores. Should keep me busy until it is time to take a much needed nap!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 8, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9442763

Did the horrible grocery chore yesterday. Kroger and Wal-Mart. Enough to make you scream.

I'm starting to feel like that Hee-Haw song, gloom, dispair and agony on end. Last night the heater in my little greenhouse broke and the tomatoes froze AGAIN. First time we blew a breaker because we didn't plug into the right plug. I have a few of my seed left over and will be ordering more today. At this rate I won't have tomatoes until first frost! Also got an ewe that's not feeling well. She lost both her lambs and I don't think she's passed her afterbirth. We've loaded her up with Combiotic and some oxytocin to see if that will get the job done. I can't wait to see what's next. At least the sun's shining this morning.

Speaking of glads, I never lift mine. Just plant them deep. Of course I'm further south than everybody but Bonnie and that probably matters a lot but who knows.

Better get back to baking . Need to resow those tomatoes and find another heater.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9444752

thought i would share some photo's of the garden .

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9444788

I love the decorations!! Really like the placque! Lou
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9444796

Sue, love your memory garden. I see that every holiday will bring something special.

Happy Birthday Ric. Hope you celebrate in whatever fashion you desire. Have a good day.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 10, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9444918

Yes,the plaque is really nice.

Happy Birthday to Ric too. It's always nice when you stop in here for a visit.

I'm trying to work on some of the tax figures today and not having much luck. I just don't want to be inside. The rest of the crew went to the hill farm to try to fix some fence to move cows up there. They came back last night saying that the neighbor leased the hunting rights for his farm to someone who put up an automated deer feeder within 50 ft of our line fence and the deer have absolutely demolished the fence between the two properties. He put the feeder there because they go onto our property to graze since it's the only cleared property in the area. We'd planned to put cattle out there in the next few weeks so we wouldn't run out of hay but the deer have grazed the area so I suspect we'll be hauling hay out there to them because the grass won't be able to keep up. DS said he counted 25 deer out there last night.

Bonnie, I hope your sermon went well. Since MIL has been home I haven't been able to make church because someone needs to be around the house and my SIL doesn't normally get out here until later on Sunday. Can't blame her for that as she's been doing 95% of MIL's care. It's the least I can do.

Better get back to tax figures. I need to at least have something to show for today when hubbie gets home!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9446739

Good morning! Well..its back to cold again today...and snow flurries. As long as they stay flurries...ok.
Janet...on the glads...how deep is deep?? I could try the south side of my house?
Ric..happy birthday ...again...lol!!
Celene...tell me more about those green glads plz? Do they have a name? Or just your everyday ordinary glad? Would you believe...I've never grown glads..other than the Atom? I would like to...but just thought they would be something else i had to dig in the fall i guess. I carried white glads in my wedding bouquet. For those of you who would know...Knollwood nursery in Beavercreek did my bouquet...almost 53 yrs ago...They were just starting out...a very small place...and how they have grown!!!! They have a very thriving business now!
A little nostalgia...lol! Lordy...I sound like an "old person"!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahaa...!
Ok...time to get movin here...things to do...! Have a wonderful day everyone!!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 12, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9446780

I have no clue about the green glads. I bought them at Anderson's, they're no special variety.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2013
1:40 PM

Post #9447159

Well it was nursing home day today and when I finished there, went to Louisville, checked out the new store Ross is the name. Sort of reminds me of TJ Maxx, then on to Sam's. Got home about 2:00 and there was another dog fight, so DH is out fixing a kennel for one of the offenders. Had a doozy of a fight this morning too. New dog, and they are trying to establish Alpha status, but it was bad enough we don't want to see any more of the fighting.

Seems there is no problem except when I come into the picture, guess jealousy plays a role in it too.

Celene any tips on what to do after the forced separation for a few days?

Janet looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 12, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9447527

I would be happy to help you with it, but it's pretty long and complex. Should we start a different discussion, or move it to dmail?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9447542

The new dog, Johnjohn is only here temporarily. He will return to the farm when the house is renovated and the DN moves in. So we are guessing about 6 weeks or so. Do you think it necessary to do anything since it is going to be a short term stay?

We plan to keep them apart, and the one who stays in the kennel today will be rotated and the other in the kennel the next day.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 13, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9447755

I think environmental management for such a short period is a good idea. I would also suggest Comfort Zone or DAP (they're the same thing) collars. Can you get Anxitane, it's an OTC herbal supplement? That could help as well.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9448027

Thanks Celene, I will look for the products. Apart there is no problem, together is like waiting for an explosion.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9452095

Good morning everyone...Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!!
Have my corned beef, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage in the slow cooker. Hope it gets done in time for supper...lol!
I had my gkids overnight...they are still in bed! That's because they stayed up half the night!
I hope you all have a wonderful day!!!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 17, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9452104

I am going to pull out my corned beef as well, and have rumbledethump and Irish soda bread.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9452817

Vegetarian Corned Beef?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9452863

I have no clue what Celene is cooking, never heard of rumbledethump. May have to google that for a definition!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 17, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9452879

It is sauteed cabbage and leeks, mixed with mashed potato, smooshed into a casserole and topped with cheddar cheese. Bake until the cheese gets melty and the top is lightly browned. I like it a lot better than boiled potatoes, cabbage and carrots, which I loathe.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9452887

Thanks celene, google had already helped me find the definition! I think I could go for that.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 18, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9453235

I don't think there is vegetarian corned beef, I had a zucchini patty. For today only, it's a zucchini "Paddy".
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9454836

Ohhh Celene..I've made rumbledethump before...it is very good!!
My corned beef was good too! We even had leftovers last night! It's not something I could eat every day..but it was good!
Well the weatherman says two more weeks of cold weather here...grrrrrrrr! I am soooo sick of it!!
I NEED to get outside and work!!!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9455243

Today here looked pretty, but very chilly. We had brilliant sunshine but with a breeze that was brisk. They are talking our next 7 days at least below normal temps. Well all I can say, I am sick of winter, but sping isn't as far away as it has been.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9456900

I woke up to snow covered ground again!!!! YUK!!!
Not a lot..but just enough to make things white again.
Had to go buy a new washer n dryer last night...that I hadnt planned for!
Had our repairman come for the dryer yesterday, and by the time he told us what all needed repaired on it...we decided it was time to get a new one instead. Since both the washer and dryer were 18 yrs old...we decided to get both and get it overwith. Hopefully, this will be the last new ones we ever have to buy.
I had heard about the new top loaders; my sister in law has one...and doesnt like it. Repair guy said DONT...also. What I didnt know was most now do not have an agitator in them. They flip the clothes around by paddles that move the tub around different directions.
There are some that still are making them with the agitators, but all are beginning to phase them out. Geez..why don't they ask the women who use them?????? Anyway..to make a long story short, I bought a Maytag WITH an agitator. My old set were Maytag, and even though Whirlpool bought them out, according to our repair guy, they still use Maytag parts in them. In other words, he cant repair a Maytag with Whirlpool parts.
I loved my Maytag...so decided to stick with them.
Now the challenge is to clean where they set before they are delivered on Saturday morning!!! My utililty room is super small! Like about 4x5!
Both will have to be moved out to clean. And that means disconnecting hoses and vents. I am hoping they will give me the chance to do it , when they take the old ones out. I'll have to be quick for sure!!!!
Wish me luck!!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9456947

Marcy, don't worry about the dust behind them. I am sure that they see much worse than yours. We all are embarrased by it, but hey, I have had repairmen tell me that compared to other places, mine is squeaky clean. One told me about roaches, and rats in the house. Yuk, I think I would rather live in a barn.

It snowed here early this morning, just enough to let me know that it ain't spring yet!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9456975

Marcy, I'm so glad you didn't opt for the front loader washer. When mine went out, they were 20 yrs old and were maytag. We don't have a maytag dealer locally anymore, so I went with whirlpool. Dave wanted me to get the very best, bless his heart. We got the set with pedestal drawers under them. Front loader for large loads( even though there's just the two of us). We have hated them since we got them! The delivery men leveled them and anchored them to the floor when they installed them. The anchors tore out of the floor about the second time I used them. There is no way of balancing a heavy load. Gravity sorta puts all the clothes together in a heap and they vibrate and sound like a plane taking off in my utility room. We called and asked about getting them anchored better and their reply was, no, that's the best we can do. Everyone complains about the vibrations. The washer seems to wash the clothes okay, but sound is horrendous!

And , yes, I had to really hurry to clean under and behind the old ones while they were uncrating the new ones. It really made me feel like a slacker at housekeeping, but then again, I do fit that profile.LOL

I'm so ready to get out and work in the garden. LaST Saturday morning I worked and cleaned up a couple of spots and it was good medicine for my mental health. I do get depressed in winter , I think from lack of vitamin D Sunshine. The tablets just aren't the same .

Stay warm everyone,. It was a whopping 13 degrees this morning and snowing. UGH!

Lurker Lou
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9457455

Hey folks! Yeah, Lou, I ended up with the front loading washer & dryer on the pedestals, and it does sound like a tornado and an earthquake have hit at the same time when the thing spins.I do like some things about them, and I'm trying to talk my sister into taking them off the pedestals. I think that contributes a lot to the house shaking. Kind of like parking an elephant in a treetop and then seeing what happens when the wind blows.
Marcy, I bet if you make some mouth watering snack, you can get the delivery guys to wait up for 10 minutes while you clean up the laundry room. Not one of those things where you can slide the furniture around to clean it.
The weather lady informed us today that last year on this date we had a record high of 83, just 50 degrees warmer than today! Yikes. I picked the wrong year to get a pool.
Pat

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 21, 2013
5:25 PM

Post #9457467

Grilling veg for baked veggie chimichangas with black beans and quinoa pilaf and a salad.

Oh, and I wrote a brain-damagingly long article on pet poisoning today, lol.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2013 8:19 PM
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2013
6:08 AM

Post #9457901

Hi, ORVers, It's been a while but I've been lurking--Missed you all! Hope your gardens are waking up and you are readying for a beautiful springtime.

Cute little grand baby, Lou! And lucky you to spend two months in Florida.

Robyn (Ric's Robyn) has been over for the past couple of days to help with winter clean up in the garden and to uncover the leafy mulch from our buried purple crocus and 'February Gold' daffs all in bloom now. A few of the bulbs escaped the squirrels, rabbits and voles and it's so nice to have color out there on these grey grey days. Robyn has been a blessing and has done wonders for our garden--as for me I've been very lazy gardenwise.

But Robyn got me going on garden ideas and I had to check in here to see what's going on and if anyone has started seeds, etc. etc. I stopped at Home Depot and bought radish, parsley, lettuce--I have big ideas--now let's watch and see how much we get done!?

I saw that Lou and Marcy bought washers & Dryers and we did too. I was totally confounded by all the choices and prices (OMG!) and it was hard to choose. We finally bought Maytag top loading on sale at Home Depot in a nice bronze color. (We just couldn't bite on the modern front loaders price tags.) They are actually working pretty well and the washer uses just a small amount of water and is plenty big for us. As for cleaning underneath, I won't even go into that! We have had them for a few months and so far they have been working very well. I can't believe how efficient they are compared to my 11 year old Whirlpool set.

Loved the pics of Taynors' garden--especially the St. Patrick's Day effects. Very festive.

I look forward to seeing everyone at Round Up. Is it Memorial Day weekend?

hugs, J.
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9458863

Hello Everybody, I'm new here on Daves. I was reading about the round up and would love to come. I'm 41 and married with a seven year old son. I live between Cincinnati and Dayton. I am somewhat of a novice as I have only been growing flowers since 2009. I have grown to love daylilies and many others. I have learned so much from the great people on this forum. I would love to meet some local gardeners. The lady who got me into gardening passed away in 2011. I have been on my own ever since. My husband and son are not really into flowers.( i'm working on my son and hope to some day give him the flower bug someday)
Would love to join your Round up and meet alot of you!
Hope everbody has a great day!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9458873

Hi taylordaylily. I am a Kentuckian, but gardening has no boundaries as I am sure you are learning here at Daves.

Don't know if a thread has been put up about the Roundup, but there will be several where you sign up, indicate what type of food you will bring to the potluck meal, and then another to list the plants you have to swap, and who has something that you are interested in.

I have lots of daylilies and would be happy to share if you have any particular ones you are interested in.

Keep watching here, and join in the conversations, it is a great way to get to know the Ohio Valley folks.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 23, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9458876

The roundups are great fun! My non-gardening husband even has fun.
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9459066

Hello defoecat,
Thank you so much I will watch for the thread.
I have many daylilies as well, maybe will have each others wants and trade.
I have had some luck with my son. I grow milkweed and we bring some caterpillars in and save them from my many other garden friends that may eat them. We have raised over fifty and only lost one. We release after wings dry well.
I showed him some daylilies with names with shark's tooth and Crocodile eyes. It Might work out when he's older.

Thank You again for yoour help and kindness.
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9459088

Hello celene, Did you have to beg you husband to go? My husband was dragged to Oakes Dalily Festival one year.
He complained the whole time. I couldn't even walk the garden for him dragging me to the car. He did let me get my free one at least. I don't mind to come alone or with my son.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 23, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9459293

My husband likes to go, he's far more social than I am. He's one of those guys who can talk to anyone, anywhere, any time.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9459374

Don't think we've started thinking about Round up yet, but we will have to, soon!

Welcome Taylordaylily! I am your neighbor to the north. Franklin. Always good to hear of newbies!

Happy belated birthday Taylor!

This message was edited Mar 23, 2013 6:34 PM
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9459435

Just got a call and JOHNJOHN HAS BEEN FOUND. Now all we need to do is plan a trip to go pick him up. Praise the Lord for answered prayer.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 23, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9459622

Whew, took a while to read all the posts. You all have been busy!

Washing machines. I had a Maytag for 25 or more years and loved it to death. That sucker could wash clothes like nobody's business. Got another top loader, heavy duty because we get clothes really DIRTY here and it's the biggest piece of junk I've had in quite some time. I don't think it could get clean clothes dirty. The work clothes look horrible. Thank goodness they're just going back to the barn to get dirty again.

Welcome Taylordaylily. I'm Janet and I'm not too far from Bonnie, Defoecat. I've got a few daylilies too. I'm rather proud of myself, so far I don't have any new ones coming in this year. Maybe I can keep it that way but Curt Hanson's new catalog came this past week and that's never good.

One of the Louisville markets started back today and it was a fantastic day. Kate outdid herself. Which was good because the Lexington market was less than stellar. On well, time to get back in the harness.

Seeding more tomatoes and peppers. Somehow mine froze again the other day. Disgusted is what I was. Try to get a jump on things and you just get further behind., I do have some lettuces coming up to transplant as well as some spinach and Swiss chard. The onions are sitting in the shop still cooling their heels until the ground dries out.

I think it's time for bed. 4:30 was early enough this morning and I've spent the evening wrestling an ewe that didn't want to take her lambs.

Janet
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9461446

Hey everyone!!
Well...I managed to get Dave to help move the dryer out...clear out of that little room even! That was a big help. I was able to then move the washer forward enough to clean both under it and where the dryer had been. Everything was filthy..shhhh...dont tell anyone. I found out that room is 6' x 5 1/2 '...so a little larger than i first said...hahahaa...big difference huh!!
Anyway..i was able to run the vaccum there...scrub the floor and walls..so everything was very clean for the delivery guys! We did all this the night before! Isn't it amazing what you can do when you HAVE to????
Let me explain a bit: My kitchen and utility room floors are wood...poplar, and unfinished. We had squares of carpet, turned upsidedown under the legs of each appliance so they would easily move.
Buttttt...in this small space..there is also a sink and a toilet. So it's very tight in there. But thanks to those carpet squares, he was able to take the dryer clear to the back door. That gave me just enough room to work in there and get it all cleaned.
So far..I like the new set...still learning to use it. It's quite different that the old ones were..in the way it operates. It has a sensor on the washer..as to how long it washes the clothes...depends on how dirty they are...arent computers great??
I was used to setting the minutes on my other one. There are no minute settings on this one...so that is kinda weird. And it is sooo quiet!
I think i am gonna like it!
Hi Taylordaylily...nice to meet you! I am Marcy...and I live NW of Dayton..originally from Bellbrook though. The roundups are so much fun..you will love it!
Sorry I wont get to come this year if its Memorial day weekend though. My sister in law is moving to New York City. She is selling out her farm in SW Ohio...and moving to be with her son and grandson. My brother passed away a little over a yr ago. Anyway...she wants us all to get together one last time before she moves away. We may never get the chance to see her again...who knows?
Ok..here's a pic of my new appliances. Not fancy.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9461696

Have fun with your new work horses. They look just like ours. They work great!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9461903

Marcy, glad that you had the opportunity to clean good before the new ones were delivered. Appliances are so much different than they used to be, but probably for the better.

We have had snow on and off all day. Not much on the ground, but the wind kicked up about 6:00 and it is really chilly out there.

My grandad used to say that potatoes need to be planted on Good Friday, but it doesn't look like that will happen this year.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 26, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9462404

All the trucks and cars are covered with snow. At six when I went to the barn this morning the gravel on the drive was covered but the roads were clear.

Last ewe has lambed. There's one that I don't think is bred. I think she was too young. She'll get one more chance this coming spring. I'm hoping she'll settle bacause she is a nice friendly little ewe and basically her stomach leads the herd anywhere.

Isn't it funny how much dirt collects under stuff that you don't want to move very often? But any time that big stuff is pulled out I try to make darned sure that it's clean before it goes back.

Used to be around here that St. Patrick's day was when you wanted to plant potatoes. I'm afraid if they'd been in the ground and not hilled up pretty good they'd have froze this year. As it is, the ground is so cold that I'm afraid they'd have rotted. Same with the peas. I guess I'll just be waiting until things are ready. At least the fellow that has grown my broccoli and cabbage hasn't been after me to come get my plants. I figure that with the lack of sun his plants haven't been growing fast either. One of these days the sun will shine and the ground will dry out.

I usually fix Easter dinner. I think this year I'm going to try to convince my parents to let me come down there and cook it so they don't have to try to get into my house. It's on an incline which is super wet and slick right now and there's no way they can safely get to the step and through the door.

Better get moving. I'm almost done with the taxes and DH wants them done today. No matter that he hasn't finished his part...
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9462500

Hi Everybody, Had a crazy weekend! The TV in the family room went out Friday. We found out shopping around on line that our printer was broke as well. The printer was a lot easier on the budget at least. On the bright side now we have the flat screen my husband wanted.
Hi Janet nice to meet (blog) with you. I have bought enough for a few of us this year. I have more than 65 coming. I have never ordered that many in one year. I'm trying to get my 7 year old son into flowers. He likes to check on and feed the spiders in my garden. We live in the country and have a lot of nature around us.
I have had enough of this cold and snow. I have a lot of holes to get ready. My son will help with the digging in the dirt. He adds to the fun anyway.
I had better get going have a few things to so before I pick up my son from school. Hope everybody has a blessed day and can keep warm.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 26, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9463255

Just froze 6 pints of old-school tomato sauce with beef for spaghetti. My husband is so sad, he loves that sauce but ate Rally's for lunch and it shockingly made him queasy. That is such an easy dinner, I just leave the container on the counter to thaw, and DH can come home and cook some pasta and have dinner. Or a sandwich, if you cook it down a little bit--I guess that makes them "Sloppy Guiseppis."
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9463296

Celene that sounds really good. I did an inventory about 2 weeks ago of all my canned goods, and I thought I only had about 4 pints of the roasted tomato sauce left. But no, found another box of it, so am good until the tomatoes come in this summer.

Surprisingly, I will not have to do much canning this year. Thought I was about out of green beans, but have several jars of them too.

I am hoping that when April gets here that the weather wills start warming up, and that I can get out and get some things started.

Janet, do you think that you all are going to be doing sheep all the time now? How is the meat going at market? Or have you slaughtered one and tried it? I have never eaten lamb, so have no experinece at all. I do notice in the grocery that it seems to be very expensive. Want to try lunch maybe the first week of April? I know if the weather is good, we both will probably be busy, but I do want to enjoy a lunch before things get so crazy busy.

Pat, you are pretty quiet. Have you lost your mind with all the snow that we have been having? Hope you and DS and the dog are doing well.

Taylordaylily, wow 65 new DL's to plant this spring. You probably don't need anything that I have. I haven't bought any this year, but do need to dig and divide lots of the others. Hope your DS gets interested in gardening and helps you out lots this spring/summer.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9463616

Hello from Lexington, KY! I just figured out what region I'm in and would love to be included in the forum. I've been a DG member for awhile. Do both veggies and flowers-annuals and perrenials. Have worked full-time for a company with "Ideal" in the name for over 11 yrs-bookkeeper-hence my user name. I'm far from ideal most of the time! I'm wondering if anyone has jumped the gun and planted anything outside yet. I planted a bunch of potatoes a couple of Saturdays ago when it was 67 degrees outside. The next night it went down to 16!!! I had a several replies to my posts about it saying they're probably fine. I'd like to plant lettuce, but I'm scared to. Has anyone else planted anything outside?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9463635

Hi Idealpeggy, not planted anything outside here yet. I am about 40 miles from Lexington, about half way inbetween Louisville and Lexington. Good to see you dropping by, and hope that you will become a regular poster here.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9463651

Thank you defoecat! Glad to be part of y'all! I post more than I should actually, but I have a very boring job most days! Shame on me, but it's that or stare at the 4 walls. I'm going NUTS right now not being able to get outside. I've got my whole mud room full of seedlings-tomatoes, peppers, strawberries and herbs-and getting ready to pot-up. Bill Meck (Channel 18-do you know of him?) said we're going to have at LEAST 15 more days of this awful weather. But if you know him, he tends to exaggerate. I sure hope he's wrong!! I want Spring-NOW!!!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9463772

Hi Peggy, welcome. Still too cold for us here in the Dayton area to be planting outside. Then again, I wouldn't be planting anything now anyway!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 27, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9463811

Welcome Peggy, be glad to have you here.

Bons, I have a skin doctor appt in Lexington on the third. Reckon we could meet in Frankfort around noon? One of these days it's going to dry out around here and all you know what is going to break out. Lexington Home and Garden show is next week and then two markets start in earnest the weekend of the 13th.

Potatoes aren't in the ground yet but there's probably 200 pounds sitting in the basement. Half of them need to be cut and the rest are some left over from last year that I'll probably plant whole. I've got some flats of lettuce, spinach and swiss chard in the little greenhouse to plant outside when it finally dries out. Lettuce and Swiss chard can't take super cold temps but and take light frosts. If your lettuce comes up and it's calling for extremely cold you can take some remay out and cover it. That should offer 3-6 degrees of protection depending on how much the wind's blowing.

Went out this morning and there was a dead heifer in the barn. Appears that she'd laid down to calve and got her back down a little 4 inch dip in the barn and couldn't get back up and bloated. DH didn't look close as it was dark in the barn and just figured that we lost the cow and calf but when he went up to get the cow for the dead animal truck to pick it up he found an untagged calf in with the rest of the calves. We think the other cows must have licked it off by the way it looked. I don't know if one of them also let it nurse or not. He's in the basement now and polished off a half gallon of colostrum and is ready for a nap. At least not all was lost.

Better get moving if I'm going to get anything accomplished today. I'd like to move some sheep fence and get the ewes with lambs a little more room to run during the day,.

idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9463840

Thanks for the welcomes girls! Kydaylilylady, I would love to meet you for lunch, but as I say, I work full-time. I can't even get together in Lex. for lunch 'cause I only get 1/2 hr. :( It must be so much fun to farm and all. You make me SO jealous. I would have a hard time with the livestock/death issue though. If I had animals, I would have them all named. When I retire, if I ever get to, I would love to have some chickens and a goat. My hubby says "no" on the goat, but I think the little miniature ones are so cute. A cow would be the ultimate, but I don't think I would get by with that in my backyard :)) Good luck with the new baby calf!! Aw.w.w!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9463848

Janet, checked by calendar, and the 3rd is fine. So we will plan on it, cause I know when it dries up and the weather warms up you will be zooming by at 100 mph! Chinese place okay by you? If so 12:00 noon it is on the 3rd.

Just back from the grocery, took the Amish woman with me so that she could get groceries, and she is super nice. First time I had met her, but DH met the whole family last weekend.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9463891

Taylor and Ideal...I drop by this forum occasionally because I know some of these folks even though I do not live in the general geographic area. However, it's always fun to see new people join in, so here's a hearty welcome!
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9463941

Darius, thank you! Where DO you live, if you don't mind my asking? My oldest daughter lives in Sevierville-not sure how "Southern" you are. And please call me Peggy!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9463952

Peggy, I'm probably about 2.5-3 hours north of Sevierville if you follow along I-81. Sevierville is lovely country; I'm a bit in the more rugged mountain area, about 40 miles north of the TN/VA line.

Being "Southern" is a loose term in my family. I grew up all over everyplace south of the Mason-Dixon line, with various and sundry relatives. Somehow I missed living in KY although I've driven through, and often stayed with friends there after I became an adult.

I started learning to make cheese a couple of years ago, and have marked a few artisan cheese-making places in KY I want to visit, health and money permitting.
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9464244

Hello Everybody, Welcome Peggy! I'm new to Dave's and this forum. I have not planted anything outside yet. I 'm ready whenever mother nature warms up.

Defoecat, Yes I went crazy, I found the daylily auction after I had already ordered from Oakes. I love Oakes I order from them every year. I also drag my family to Corryton to their festival in June when I can. I love to go to their daylily festival. It's always in June and always a good time. They give a free daylily to every guest and have many at sale prices. I love to walk around their garden and build my wish list. However, this year I have already spent to much on my garden and will not be going this year. I found some great deals on the lily auction and had a lot of fun. My DH will help out for a birthday gift. My birthday is in April so I ask for help in the garden in place of gifts. This year I may have to ask a few other family members to help out. I have never bought so many plants at one time. Maybe I will have some daylilies to share with you in a year or so.

Janet, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your cow. What a blessing that the calf made it. I would love to have farm animals. We live in the country, just do not have the land. We have just under a acre. We have two dogs and a lot of wildlife.
I better get going. God bless to all and have a great day.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9464409

That daylily auction site can be deadly, so watch out. Hadn't thought of asking for a day's labor for my birthday, maybe I will try that this year!
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9464957

I started learning to make cheese a couple of years ago, and have marked a few artisan cheese-making places in KY I want to visit, health and money permitting.[/quote]

I would be interested in those! Have you read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver? She's an author from Ky.-really funny & entertaining. My daughter had to read it for her freshman year at Transy. There's a chapter in there about cheese making. It sounds fairly easy. . .is that correct? I would love to get into that at some point. That's where I got the idea about raising chickens too :)
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9464968

Hi Taylordaylily, welcome to you too, looks like we're both newbies! A daylily auction-hoe cool is that! My husband is a Realtor/Auctioneer.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9464986

Peggy, Barbara Kingsolver and her husband live about 25 miles from me. He owns Harvest Table, a locavore restaurant. http://www.meadowviewfarmersguild.com/HarvestTable.html. They are both pretty active in the local food movement.

Making cheese is pretty easy, but getting good milk is not. The best aged cheese comes from raw milk that still has all the natural enzymes, and of course the gov't doesn't allow the sale of it in most places. I make a bit of fresh soft cheese like cream cheese, feta, mozzarella, ricotta, and a few semi-hard (cheddar-like) that are ready to eat in 30-60 days, mostly from pasteurized milk or fresh goat milk.

I have a harder time with aged cheese because it's hard to control the humidity in my rudimentary cheese cave, which is an old fridge in the root cellar.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 29, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9465631

Peggy, I'd be vary cautious of ever being envious of a farmer. It looks pretty warm and fuzzy in the pictures when the sun is shining on the little black calves stretched out sunning themselves in the field but it isn't very pretty when you have one in the chute, holding him down while you're castrating him or trying to shove the vagina back in an ewe that's trying to prolapse in 15 degree weather. . Going to farmer's market in clean clothes with a smile on your face doesn't reflect the 6 days you spent before in 95 degree weather picking, planting, hoeing, sweating, cursing and mumbling while the sweat runs in your eyes and your underwear is sopping wet from sweat. Or it hasn't rained in a month and you're dragging wet soaker hoses all through 2 acres of garden praying that that little cloud that's building in the west doesn't swing to the north and go around you. Don't get me wrong; most of the time I enjoy every bit of it but most folks only see the pretty side of farming and not the dark side.

You can easily spend a couple thousand dollars on the Lily Auction if you let yourself. So far this year I've only bid on 3 and fortunately I didn't get them. Right now money is tight and I should have never bid on them in the first place. What I need more is some dry weather. So far the onions seem to be holding their own in the shop. The tops look a little rough but the roots still appear to be fine. I think I'm going to go ahead and no-till them in the slabbed ground if I can't get it worked sometime this week. Kate's on spring break so maybe we can get both boxes in the ground and be that much further ahead. If I think about how far behind I am all I do is get in a bad mood so I might as well forget it and get moving.

Darius, I really wish I could get a cow. Almost bought a senior yearling back last fall but wasn't sure she was bred and wasn't going to drop $1200 unless she was preg checked. She was bred but when I checked on the production records on the dam I decided she wasn't worth the money and besides, though I might not have a problem keeping her milked during the week the weekends with leaving out for market at 6:00 and no one being able to milk her that would pose a very serious problem and I know my SIL, though she is a wonderful woman, is NOT going to milk her for me two mornings a week.

Better get going. Got to finish the baking, get to town for groceries and get what kale there is at my parents picked and ready for tomorrow.

Later everyone~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9465645

When Janet your schedule has already made me tired. I cleaned and did laundry yesterday and was in bed at 9:30pm last night. On top of that my back was killing me, so it was a 3 pain pill day for me.
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9465714

Hello Everybody,
Kydaylilylady, You sound like a very busy and strong woman. You remind me of my Aunt , she has a pig farm and is always trying to get by. It's a hard life to be a farmer, and in this time it's even harder. I wish you luck with your farm this year. Stay strong and keep your chin up no matter how heavy it may get.
You are all right about the Lily auction. I have learned my lesson. I found some great deals and now I am going to stay away.
My son is on Spring break starting today. I am hoping that we can get outside today. I have things I still need to get cut back. I leave alot of my garden stand in the winter for wildlife. I only clean up my Iris and peony in the fall.

Peggy & Darius, How great is that you both make cheese. I love cheese, had never thought about trying to make it. Maybe someday I will have to give it a try. Was it hard when you first started? Hope you don't mind my asking.

Well I better get going I have to get my house cleaned. I have family coming in for Easter. I love to have everybody together. I hope everybody has a blessed Easter!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9466922

If anyone is really interested in making cheese, here are a couple of excellent links:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/
http://www.cheesemaking.com/

and here's an easy recipe... although NOT a real cheese as we think of them, it's fabulous and a good place to start learning.

HOMEMADE CRÈME FRAICHE
http://www.ediblecommunities.com/louisville/november-december-2011/homemade-creme-fraiche.htm

Crème fraiche is sheer ambrosia, as far as I am concerned. It should be in every cook’s refrigerator all the time — it has more body and flavor than “regular” cream. It thickens sauces without curdling, and a little goes a long way! You can make quick fabulous sauce by mixing in some minced fresh herbs and a spoonful of fresh lemon juice or zest, great over fish or chicken. Or serve it with fresh fruit or on cake, or whip and slightly sweeten it to use in frostings or to top your pumpkin pie.

You can buy crème fraiche at some stores, but making your own with cream and buttermilk gives you a product that cannot be beat at any price. Once you make it, it holds in the refrigerator for weeks.

2 cups fresh heavy cream, NOT ultra-pasteurized
4 tablespoons buttermilk

Stir the cream and buttermilk in a medium saucepan over low heat and gently heat to warm, about 85°F. No warmer, or you kill the bacteria that you need to make the crème, so use a thermometer; it gets to 85 faster than you think it will.

Pour the warm crème into a clean jar or bowl and cover with a clean towel. Let it sit on the counter for 24 hours. Holds in the fridge for weeks. Makes 2 cups.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 31, 2013
6:08 AM

Post #9467427

I love creme fraiche more than I should :)

I know this should be in a RU thread, but we don't have one yet and I'm weeding. Does anyone want Egyptian walking onions? I will probably have a couple or three pots of them that I have to dig out.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9467563

I do, I do! But... I cannot make the RU this year. sob.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9468597

Darius, how cool that you are within driving distance of the Kingsolver's restaurant!!! Do you go sometimes? Also, thanks for posting that recipe. That sounds heavenly-but fattening!
Janet, thanks for the advice. I'm sure farming is not glamorous-very hard work, I'm sure! My grandparents had a farm when I was growing up-in Illinois-but I only got to go a couple times/yr. Grandpa had cows, pigs and chickens. He let me help him milk the cows-some of the happiest memories of my life.
Anyone-what is the RU?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9469184

It is a real life meeting in a picnic type setting. We gather for a potluck lunch, and a plant swap and to just talk and catch up from year to year. A great way to get to know folks.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9469618

Hi huggs everyone!!
Sorry I havent been here for a bit. Got caught up in every day life i guess!
Hi Peggy..nice to meet you. I'm Marcy from NW of Dayton..near the Indiana border.
And Taylor welcome to you too. Nice to meet you both!
Starting to love my new washer/dryer...lol...well..as much as you can love appliances!
Joyce...good to see you post too!
And Darius too!
Nothing new here...just waiting on the weather to break. The "man" says cold today..and then we start the warm up...hope he is right!!!! Like the rest of you...I am sooo ready!
Ok...be back soon...lunchtime!!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9469652

Just back from the nursing home, had a really good visit there with folks. DH called me on the way home and wanted me to stop by Southern States to get some onions and peas, and some cabbage and broccoli, probably tomorrow will be planting some garden. Whoopee, hope that the weather holds and it doesn't get cold again. Today is to be in the upper 50's so spring finally made it's arrival.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9469728

Thanks for the welcome Marcy! I'm glad I found you all. Everyone is so friendly & nice!
I'm thinkin' maybe RU stands for Round-Up-?? Where do you usually have it? Sounds fun!
It's still pretty danged cold here, but at least it quit that infernal raining, snowing, blowing crap. Just to be sunny is nice. We've sure gotten cheated out of our Spring so far, but just heard it's supposed to get in the 70's next week!!! I'm planting some lettuce, that's for sure! May have to end up covering it, but I'm planting some lettuce!!!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 2, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9469743

Ok Bonnie, I think I need to bail on our dinner date tomorrow. I think ground is going to work maybe this afternoon and if it does seeds are going to start flying everywhere. I told DH to get the fertilizer for the onions and also pick up some for the asparagus and blackberries. I might even run up there this afternoon and fertilize those and get that out of the way. I got 50 pounds of potato seed cut yesterday and have another 50 to go. I imagine my cabbage is ready to go. The guy hasn't called me yet but I can't see how it's not. I probably need to drop him a line.

Got the home and garden show this weekend. Thursday through Sunday. That sort of screws up the routine because it makes for late nights getting home but since we need the cash I think we'll darned well be there.

Marcy, glad the washer and dryer are working right. Nothing worse than getting something new and not liking it after you've used it a while.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9469755

Janet, do you have a booth at the show? We're going Friday afternoon. I would love to come by and meet you!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2013
10:33 AM

Post #9469765

Janet, that is fine. I hear the sound of the tractor running as I sit here and type. We may just have to do a night time meeting! Seems that is all that happens when the weather gets nice, planting and gardening. Good luck with your schedule, and we will maybe have a rainy day soon that we can plan to meet. Would have to be spur of the moment, but I can do that.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 3, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9471199

Well, peas, carrots, beets, lettuce, and spinach are in the ground. If anything bothers to come up there's going to be a lot of stuff. Those rows are tobacco patch long. If possible I'll plant some of the onions before we leave for the Home and Garden show tomorrow. I'm hoping that we can maybe use the water wheel sitter to plant the potatoes. If we could I'd be one happy camper. Tired is what I am. Going to measure out some of the breads to bake tomorrow morning and heading to bed. I don't think there'll be any problems sleeping...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9471215

Janet, we got some garden planted today too. After that, DH spent the rest of the day plowing, or tilling neighbors gardens. Not a cent earned, but he does it for friends.

Went to the grocery today and took the Amish girl with me. Seems like when I have someone along, I do better time wise, so am not minding this arrangement at all.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 4, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9471425

I bet you spend less because you're not dawdling. That's how it would be if it were me.

I have a crack on the corner of my little finger that is killing me when I hit the shift key. Surely a major problem. Those cracks on the fingers can sure get sore especially if they're fairly new and you go play in the dirt.

E-mailed the fellow that's growing my cabbage. I'm getting closer to being ready for it. Hope to get the onions planted today before we leave for Lexington.

Gotta go!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9471465

Janet hope today is a great day for you guys. I am hoping that I can get out and get some things done outside, like put down the preen, should have done that weeks ago, but it is still needed.

Off to play in the dirt.
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2013
5:46 AM

Post #9471472

Hi Everybody,
Have been busy with my son home on Spring break. Today we are going to Dayton to the National Museum of the Air Force.
Hello and welcome to you Marcy. I am south of Dayton.
It was so nice outside yesterday. Was able to get some work in the garden done. I hope to get out in the garden when we get back from Dayton. I have a lot to cut back still. I leave a lot of my garden stand in winter for wildlife. Makes it easier in the fall. Not so much in the spring.
Well I better get going we need to head out for Dayton. Everybody have a great day and may the sun shine on you and your gardens.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9473925

Hey, folks, I'm checking in again. i've spent thhe last 10 days with an infected tooth root. Not a good way to celebrate spring! Root canal on Monday.
Welcome to taylordaylily and idealpeggy. My name is Pat and I live on the west side of Cincinnati. I grew up n Middletown and have lived or worked or gone to school in Spingfield, Mechanicsburg, Dayton in Ohio, and Portland maine and Rochester NY. I like to do genealogy and that takes me sometimes to eastern KY and Highland and Pike counties in Ohio.
Taylor, whereabouts are you in Hamilton? And peggy, what side of Lexington are you on?
I've been living with the noise of the Gamble house being destroyed this week. So far, the barn and a small caretaker's cottage are still there. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the property now. It's something like 14 acres, so I'm thinking maybe condos at some point.
I went to see War Horse this week with DS. It was really brilliant and really intense. I think you could sum up the plot with the idea that war is not good for anyone, man or beast.
That's about it for the exciting news from Westwood. Guess I'll get back to the taxes.
Pat
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9474777

Hello Goshsmom, I live up the road from Sevenmile. My son is in Edgewood schools.
Sorry to hear about your root canal. My DH just had to have one 2 weeks a go. Hope you feel better soon.
I worked in my garden most of the weekend. I'm just now getting most of it cut back.
I have to get back outside before it rains and get my Preen down. Have a good day!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9474950

oh, sure, I know where that is. My ex-hubby used to live in Trenton, and several of his younger brothers live in and around there. Nice country. Well, it used to be country! Now it's definitely suburban, at least in Trenton.
It must be spring, because my cat Bruiser has started leaving me gifts on the back porch. A couple headless mice so far, but I bet I'll find a chipmunk or bunny within a week. Bruiser loves to hunt.

I was making grea strides withnfinding all the receipts i need for my taxes, but now I'm stuck because I cant find my 1099's! I'm turning everything inside out and upside down, and they're still missing. A few prayers would be much appreciated!
Pat
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9475090

Hmmmm. I tried to upload some pictures of my daffodils and my computer is sulking because it got "updated" to IE 10. So thanks to Microsoft's update, my computer cannot upload pictures. Good grief!
Pat
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9475111

Pat, I had the very same thing happen when the "automatic" update was installed. The grandkids from Texas in the bluebonnet fields that I get every year and dearly love, wouldn't save to anything or anywhere. I used the restore to prev. update that I found in the control panel. and restored to the previous IE update. now I can upload photos again. Maybe you can fine the restore feature on your computer. Maybe that will fix the problem. Lurker Lou
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9475258

Lou, Pat, don't you just love the new and improved anything? Seems like it only brings problems that you never had before.

Pat, I am thinking I need to adopt a herd of cats to take care of the little ground squirrels that we have. I don't know what they are finding so attractive here, but I am getting tired of them. Sure hope the 1099's turn up so that you can finish your taxes. Wow, the deadline is just around the corner.

The WL said we would have rain today, and so far it hasn't materialized. I am betting that we will get some tonight, and did I go out and put the Preen down this afternoon, nooooo, so kicking myself in advance for that one.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 8, 2013
3:02 AM

Post #9475514

No rain yesterday here, either. Supposed to rain all week, though.

The job of my new Invisalign trays is to de-rotate three teeth and straighten one of my front teeth left to right. t's not painful, it's just noticeable, unless I try to chew or bite into something. It wakes me up if I move in my sleep, so I was forced to read garden design books all night, now I have a new list of must-have plants. hahahaha
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 8, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9475613

Well, that post I started just blinked into oblivion.

Was at the home and garden show in Lexington from Thursday evening to Sunday at 6 o'clock. Means you don't get a lot done at home but it was a good show. DH got some ground disked and slabbed yesterday before we left. As soon as I finish baking here this morning I think the onion are going to start going in the ground. I'll Treflan them before this rain comes in hopefully. Greenhouse said my cabbage and broccoli was ready. I wish DH had the water
wheel setter ready so I could use that to plant those and the potatoes but since he hasn't even picked it up I'm not holding my breath.

Met Peggy at the show. Too bad you don't get longer lunch hours. I think you, me and Bonnie would have a good time. Bons, if this rain pans out maybe this week? How much notice do you need?

Better get going. Still have to feed the bottle baby and sheep and put them out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ to all!
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9475752

Well, it was a really good weekend. Home Show Fri. nite-met Janet-so nice to get to meet you in person! I would ask for a longer lunch if you all could come to Lex. some time! Glad you all had a good show! It was pretty nice this year,we enjoyed it.
Saturday DH & I picked up wood for a new raised bed. Have to treat it with some natural preservative before we construct it. . .can't wait. This will be my first decent sized veggie garden. I'm running out of room for all my seedlings! I gardened most of Saturday-happy as a clam!
Goshmom, thanks for the welcome. You & I have a lot in common. My daughter's significant-other, or as she calls him, her "partner" lives in No. Ky. I too, am into genealogy, though I try to stay away from it when I have other things going because it's SO addictive. I lose all track of time. I'm pretty sure my gr.gr.grandparents lived in Highland Co. Ohio (is that Chillicothe?) when they were first married. He was a stagecoach driver. Any Scotts or Coons in your family tree?
We live on the SE side of Lex.-just off Richmond Rd.
We saw War Horse a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still trying to recover! How intense was that?!
Did you find your 1099's? If not, you could probably just ask for a copy (ies). Most companies wouldn't mind to do that for you. I'm a bookkeeper, so I know a little something about it. So nice to "meet" you!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9475838

Janet, I don't need much notice, but strike Thursday from this week, as I have plans for that day. Otherwise, it looks good from there on in. Hope you get some things accomplished. We just had some folks come and give an estimate on a new roof, so I am seeing $$ signs in front of my eyes.

I am trying to finish some laundry and other little chores then I am ready to go out and play in the dirt. DH just tilled a strip of ground, so don't know what he wants to plant, but I am rarin to go help!

Peggy that would be nice if we could meet for lunch. Janet is a sweetie, isn't she? Just wish she wasn't so busy that we could go to lunch more often.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9475977

Bonnie, yes, she sure is. . .can't believe all she does. Wears me out to just think about it! I asked her if there was anything she DIDN'T do, and she said she wasn't too good @ sewing-lol!
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9475982

Hello Everybody!
Goshsmom, Hope you found you 1099's. I put in a prayer for you. Oh, and can I borrow your cat for the summer. My garden has many bunny's and chipmunks. Those darn things eat everything in the spring. I have tried every thing on the market. The chipmunk will even sit on my raised bed and taunt me while he eats my plants. The bunny's just eat any lily I try to plant. I think the chipmunk may help them out on this one as well. My neighbor has a cat they let roam, however he only seems to eat my birds I feed and garden for. What can you do?

Glad the garden show went good. It's a shame it was on a nice weekend. That's how it seems to go for me all the time.
Hope every body has a great day. I'm going back out before the rain starts again.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9476407

I found the 1099's. Hurrah! And thanks for the prayers. I got the root canal over with this AM, so i'm feeling a lot perkier.
So Celene, what's on your new list must have plants, lol? How frigghtful that you were forced to read garden design books all night!
Lou, I may try the restore feature at some point. I am spending less and less time at the desktop and more on the ipad.
Peggy, Chillicothe is in Ross county, but it's sitting really close to both the Highland and Pike county lines. Send me any names you want me to look up and I'll be happy to see if I can find anything. And I knew what was going to happen in War Horse, while dear sis who accompanied me did not. She was practically shellshocked by the end, which is sort of how I felt when I saw Life of Pi. I guess it's nice to know that I can still be surprised at a story's twists and turns. The staging is still the most brilliant stage stuff I've seen since Les Mis.
Pat

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9476419

I read this thread often 'cause I like y'all, but it's getting long and slow to load. Time for a new thread?
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9477203

Goshmom, Oh No! I can see it coming. . .I'm going to get back into genealogy! That's very sweet of you. I shouldn't, but I will double-check- I'm pretty sure I found my gr.gr. grandparents & family in a Highland Co.census. I'll have to look to see what year(s). Best I remember there was a stagecoach station in Chillicothe (any info on that would be MOST appreciated), and like I said, he was reportedly a stagecoach driver. THANKS!! :)

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 9, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9477399

My new must-haves: Tall agastache, Dalea purpurea, a new hardy hibiscus--Midnight something, it has dark foliage, Ann Folkard geraniums, Buddleia Evil Ways, hmm...I know there are more.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9477508

Pat and Peggy... you may suck me back in to genealogy again! I had ancestors in Chillicothe in the early 1800's (McNamer) and most left for Iowa around 1840. I've always wanted to visit Ross Co. and do some research.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2013
12:20 PM

Post #9477678

Thank goodness for text messages My Son in law teaches at Cyfair campus of Lone star College. All phone lines are busy but text got thru and he is safe and heading home. Whew!!! The students said they wished they had been able to carry on campus and could have stopped the attacker early on.
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9478045

Celene, Do you have any Agastache? I have "Blue Fortune" and "Black Addler". I love Hyssop and the hummers do as well. Your list sounds fun so far. You have good taste.

Pat, Glad you found your 1099's. We have camped at Pike Lake State Park before. They had something with trains a few years ago. Our son was into trains at that time. Wish I could go back to those days. It was a nice small lake and nice park.

Hope everyone is doing well and God Bless you all!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9478135

Lou, tell me what is going on in Texas. I missed the news tonight. Sounds like another shooting. Glad that your folks are safe. Pretty scary stuff for you I am sure.

I don't know if anything will come up, but DH took out a small tree, and asked if I wanted him to till up a flower bed where it had been. Sure, says I, so gathered some seeds and went out and threw them down, raked them in and watered. All kinds of annuals and perennials, so am hoping that something will come up and thrive in that place. I had delphenium, lupine, poppy calendula echinecea, mondara, you get the idea just seeds and they are in the ground!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 9, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9478149

I have the agastache with blue flowers and yellow foliage, can't remember the name. I've WSed some pink agastache, we'll see if that continues to be an annual for me here ;)
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9478534

Bonnie , a student went on a slashing spree thru the halls and cut people with a exacto type blade. Thankfully, only one of the victims is critical. Mental health issue again, I think. Seems the attacker is deaf and usually carried a stuffed animal around campus. The other students said if they had been allowed to carry on campus, he would have only hurt one person. A lot of Texans carry guns all the time, but the campus has some underage adolescents taking classes, so it is a no carry zone.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9478537

I read that in this mornings paper. So sad that people aren't diagnosed and just left to deal with life on their own and not have any medical help.

Today is grocery day, so am off in just a few, hoping that I can get home early enough to get some things done before the rains move in tonight and tomorrow.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9478539

It's spring time in Texas, and it is yearly ritual for families to take pictures of the family in the fields of bluebonnets. These are my precious grandkids!

Thumbnail by dispatcher1

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9478542

Precious!
taylordaylily
Hamilton, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9478587

Dispatcher1, Those are some cute kids. The flowers are pretty as well.
Glad your family is safe.

Celene, I have that as well I think it is Golden Jubilee not positive. It tends to be a biannual for me. It reseeds it's self well so I always have it. The others seem more hardy and they so not reseed on me.

Bonnie, Do you have luck with lupines in your area? I have never been able to grow them from seed. Good luck with your new bed! Thank you for reminding me to get my preen down. I had been busy and forgot about it. We have a lot of Maple trees around here and it can be a nightmare if I forget. I hope your able to get yours down before the rain.

Hope everyone has a blessed day!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 10, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9478612

Love the bluebonnet photos
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9478737

Darius, it's easy to do (get back into genealogy)! My ancestors in that area were Scotts. You, Pat & I will have to meet up sometime and research together!
I too love the bluebonnet/children photos!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9478777

I'm closing this thread so we can start a new and faster loading one. So new folks, click on the link below and we'll continue all our discussions there. Post something, even "marking my place" so that you'll be notified when there are new posts added to the discussion.

Please go here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1306771/

pat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THREAD CLOSED~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This message was edited Apr 10, 2013 11:02 AM

This message was edited Apr 10, 2013 11:54 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America