Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Pests and Diseases: Fava Bean pest, may be aphids?

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 12, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cbnovice
Novato, CA

February 15, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9419958

I found what I think may be aphids on several of my fava bean plants yesterday. There are a LOT of them, but so far only on the very tops of the plants and only on about 1/3 of them. Anything I can do to save them? Get some ladybugs?

Thumbnail by cbnovice   Thumbnail by cbnovice
Click an image for an enlarged view.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 15, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9420051

Lady beetles will do the job for you if they find the plants. If there are no Lady beetles, you might try hosing them off with the garden hose first, spraying with a combo of liquid dish soap and water, if the hosing doesn't work. I'm not sure they are aphids though so maybe we'll get more info from other members.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9420102

No to worry. I also did have some of those blacks bugs.
I just sprayed with the hose first and after with soap and water just like witrsna suggested.
My solution is to plant a lot of Fava Beans to sacrifice a few of the plants ...
Good luck !
cbnovice
Novato, CA

February 15, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9420517

Thank you both for your responses. I tried the hose yesterday with little effect. So today I tried the soap and water. Thank you so much for your input!!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9420677

I suggest you post this picture on the VEGETABLE FORUM. There are a lot of DG members there and they always have a great answer.
Good luck

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 16, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9420859

You might also want to post on the Insect Identification forum to see if someone can identify for sure what your bugs are. This might lead you to some information about how to get rid of them. Good luck!
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9421444

Did the soap and water work?

Ladybugs are an over rated purchase at best, and worthless in most cases.

You would have needed to get the ladybug population up and running well ahead of the aphid explosion, so that the ladybugs would have started taking care of the first few aphids that showed up.

Look into a way to get the ladybugs to live in your garden year round (they do- I live less than 50 miles from you).
When the first aphids show up on my plants I already see ladybug larvae working their way through them. By not spraying (except one part of one tree that overhangs the driveway) I am encouraging a healthy population of aphid predators and parasites so the aphid population does not get out of hand.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 16, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9421483

Gee, i don't know Diana about the lady beetles. Some months ago i had a large Aristolochia that was covered with aphids and i didn't want to even use soapy water because caterpillars were eating on the vine...then i noticed some lady beetle larva and subsequently some lady beetles and between the larva and adult beetles, they cleaned up that vine within a month so that i could not find one little aphid. It was truly miraculous. I once read that an adult lady beetle will eat 4000 aphids in a lifetime. Multiply that by lots of lady beetles and the results are kind of extraordinary. It has been my experience that the lady beetles will converge where the food source is and when that food source is taken care of, they move on to a new food source. Of course the ladyb's need a friendly and welcoming environment free of insectides and such. Maybe i have just been lucky? But i've never experienced the ladybs to be in any way worthless.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9421670

These are lady bugs babies ... just in case you kill them thinking they are bad ones !

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 17, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9421821

Those are super photos of the babes drthor...but of course, there are many ladyb larva that look very different from this. I was amazed to discover how different some larva are after some internet searches which i found truly instructive and i feel more confident now that i am not causing damage to anything that has come to help out in the garden. I discovered that both lady beetles and their larva come in so many various designs and patterns. There was a new (to me) ladyb in the garden this year, very small, gray with two black spots and the cutest little yellow flounce at the rear and adorable little yellow legs. Actually there were quite a few of them and they cleaned up those aphids nicely.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 17, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9422083

Hi cbnovice, i just returned from the insect id forum and found this:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9422004

Does it look like this might be what is paying so much attention to your Fava Beans?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9429618

cbnovice
are you planting the FAVA BEANS at the correct time for your zone?
I am asking because I just remembered that my first year of vegetable garden, when I really didn't know what I was doing ... I did plant some beans in the spring and they were attached by the same kind of insect.
I did plant again the same bean in the fall and I solved the problem.
Just an idea ...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9430197

When the plant is on the ground at the wrong time it will get stressed and that is when the insect do attach.
Let me know if this could also be a possibility. I love Fava Beans.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America