Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: STARTING OUR SPRING FLOWER SEEDS, Pt. 1

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 34, Views: 278
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9419969

Let's start a discussion about the kinds of flower seeds we can go ahead and start now, or plan on starting later!

Hugs!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9419975

Centurea Daylily , wallflowers , A few started

CATGRASS 1
Clematis cuttings 2
CENTUREA CORNFLOWER 3

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9420035

Is it too early for me to start marigolds and nasturtium seeds in my zone?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9420041

Depends on sun, room, General temperature,How large you want them when planting them out,, I know marigolds like it hot with some watering.
It is snowing again here , think those are early there? lol
Some of those there will be blooming in pots before they get to the garden , it will make the early BF's happy though..

I saw a Mourning Cloak during Feb. a couple of times , not this year though , the one I saw was feeding on a Hyacinth..
Bf's and bees show up before the last frost date , so to keep a few hanging around or telling others where the food is , a few early pots of flowers are worth a try...
I will try starting a few zinnia and such in a month or so , they grow really fast, and are much later bloomers here.. Truly I should wait until at least May...
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9420213

I found Marigold seedlings growing between the roses(self seeded from last year). I dug them up and moved them to the cold frame. We got a hard freeze and I was gone so I lost about half of them. But I have found more and I moved them into the cold frame .Sunday morning the low is suppose to get back down to 26 deg. F. but at least I will be here to cover the cold frame so they should be OK. It appears that with seveal days of warm weather the seeds sprout, but then when we get a freeze all the seedlings die unless they are protected. So I took that as an indication that it was time to plant Marigolds indoors.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9420418

Linda, NOW is the time for nasturtiums as they die during our heat.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9421376

THANKS!!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9421415

A GIANT CORNFLOWER ;moving along '#3 above before now today after .

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9421474

Nola- I'll explain about sowing seeds for poppies and hollyhocks.

Poppy seeds should be surface sown in the fall/winter anywhere Oklahoma and South. Poppies don't like the heat and I've had the best luck with Corn Poppies. But as soon as it gets hot they are gone. Most wildflower seeds should be sown in the fall/winter in the south. In the north you can sow them in the fall or early spring.

I try to sow hollyhocks in the fall so I get flowers in the spring otherwise you will probably have to wait until next spring for flowers.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9421792

I guessed that some of it was going in too late - I just got a New Orleans Gardening book published in the 90's, and she said to shift everything you want to direct sow about two months earlier than you think. Makes sense - we're in a bit of a cold snap now, but it's supposed to be in the 70's the rest of the week.

Ah, well, if they don't grow this year, the birds and bugs and dogs don't eat them, or if they don't wash away, maybe I'll see them next year! :)

Now I'm glad I spent the extra money on a few ready-to-bloom poppies.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9422040

What kind of poppies did you sow or plant?

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9422882

California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica) and one called American Legion.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9423215

Ok, they are pretty I'm just not sure if you sowed them too late. I guess we'll see. Lol They may come up next year. It also depends on the weather.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9423332

I'm sure I sowed them too late - it was a bit of a sporadic flower-seeding time at our new house!

Are there any faster-growing flowers you'd recommend? I've seeded a few times with Zinnia, Cosmos, Nasturtium, and a few others...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9423467

To be honest I'm not sure, I'm not very familiar with your location. Zinnas, cosmos, sunflowers are all good for warm climates but they can't take a freeze. I plant these all later bc we will get at least one more freeze and these do well in the heat.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9423838

I re-started some meadow rue today , inspected all the dead stuff outside , Ditchlily sprouts , and Penstemon are all that look alive "out there"

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
10:23 PM

Post #9423891

[quote="1lisac"]To be honest I'm not sure, I'm not very familiar with your location. Zinnas, cosmos, sunflowers are all good for warm climates but they can't take a freeze. I plant these all later bc we will get at least one more freeze and these do well in the heat.[/quote]

Appreciated! I don't think it's frosted at all in the past two winters, so while I won't day we're out of the woods yet, it doesn't seem likely. More likely is that the seedlings will get washed away or flattened by rain!

Thank you for all the good advice and for listening! Y'all rock!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9424285

I'm learning a LOT about what I can plant over here. I desperately want a color other than green in my veggie garden this year! I'm going for edible landscaping.

I actually have a formal landscaping plan in hand, and just need to start working on getting the "bones" in place, and starting the flowers. I can't wait to have my own flats of marigolds, and zinnias, and cosmos, and geraniums. I bought this gorgeous tangerine-colored geranium last season at the Houston Garden Center. It stayed outside all winter in a tangerine-colored bucket. Well, it has come back stouter than it was when I bought it! Now, I need to learn how to propagate more from this plant!

Ya'll keep talking, hear?

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9424341

Saw my first fuschia poking its head up, three promising buds on my roses, and sowed in some balsam that I'd been sprouting. Sweet peas I planted months ago are clambering every which way, and the butterflies are having a field day in the asclepias that made it through the hurricane. Chilean glory flower is blooming already, too, even though it's just a foot tall.

And a quince - my very favorite flower, I even have a tattoo of quince across my shoulder/upper arm, is growing back after I was SURE it was a goner.

I hope this garden doesn't end up looking TOO weird...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2013
10:23 AM

Post #9424393

juhur...what's your giant cornflower?

Been busy here starting seeds, got many, many babies and repotting has begun.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9424505

WWK.. those are Centaurea Americana , They resemble a big blue aster in bloom (others say a big thistle )
About a dozen of them growing ..

I see your seedlings are still looking great !!! All the new shades of green are nice and hopeful this time of year!!

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9424961

Save me some seed for next year, pretty please...lol. Will trade them for something I have...I've kinda been collecting in the Centaureas and love to find different ones. I have C. montana (#1), C. m. Ametyst in Snow (#4), C. phygria Purple (#2), C. phygria Yellow (#5), C. machrocephala (#3), C. cyans mix, C. cyans Black Ball... the last two are annual. Interested in any let me know...or maybe something else?

If I remember correctly C. Americana is about 36" and an annual, is it one of those that are fragrant?

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2013
8:56 PM

Post #9425043

C.cyans is suppose to be an annual, it is a three year perennial any way , that was the age of mine when it got dug out.
Short lived 3 to 5 year perennial many of the C.cyans are...Blue boy was the one I had..

Hopefully my seed saving efforts will be better this coming season. .C .americana, C scabiosa, Ccyanus "black ball" are three I know I have ,the second are just now in germination , will see shortly...

The older one called giant cornflower , I lost the seeds to due to concerns and had grown since the 70's was ,I have no idea about the fragrance of these...There is a large blooming lost variety in these plants..

This message was edited Feb 20, 2013 1:02 AM
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9440638

[quote="Gymgirl"]Is it too early for me to start marigolds and nasturtium seeds in my zone?[/quote]

Linda,
I'm assuming you direct-sow your nasturtium-correct? I was wondering if I should try to start inside this year. Last year I direct sowed and never had any blooms. How warm should it be if I decide to do outside again? I may have waited too long last year.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9440675

Peggy,
I've never done nasturtiums before! This would be my first time. I believe I read somewhere they don't like to be transplanted (root disturbance), so direct sowing would be the way to go.

I've waited too long to sow the Nasturtium seeds. It'll be too hot for them, now.

But, I'll be sowing the Marigold seeds indoors under fluorescent lights in my own flats. Should be ready for hardening off and transplanting into the garden by about mid-April. Looking forward to having a BUNCH of color in my edible landscaped yard this season!
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2013
9:52 AM

Post #9440754

Well Linda, you will have to do Nasturiums sometime. They are absolutely gorgeous! So delicate and cheery! I did them in a pot with lettuce one year and they were beautiful. I saw some done with burgundy and green lettuce in a container in a magazine the other day...breath-taking. The year I did them w/the lettuce, I found transplants. Last year was the first year I tried them from seed-no luck. My daughter put a seed packet in my Christmas stocking, so I have to try them again!
Good idea on the mixing in of the flowers w/your veggies. I should do that too. Same daughter is graduating from college in May and we're having an open house. Hopefully I can get everything looking good by then, but that's a tall order from the shape of my yard right now!
Thanks for responding!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9441021

Peggy,
Look into whether that seed coat needs to be nicked. I think I remember that was part of the process, too. Could be why you didn't get germination. I think you can run it across a nail file or emery board.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9441659

[quote="Gymgirl"]Peggy,
Look into whether that seed coat needs to be nicked. I think I remember that was part of the process, too. Could be why you didn't get germination. I think you can run it across a nail file or emery board.[/quote]

Linda, thanks for the tips. . .you are so helpful. I actually did get germination, just no blooms to speak of. . .maybe one, best I remember. Even the foliage wasn't all that. Could have been the spot was too shaded. I got the seed from Burpee-haven't had real good results with their seed so far.
I was thinking about it later-did you say you're doing marigolds in an edible garden? I didn't realize they were edible, or are you just incorporating flowers into your edible gardens-?? I know nasturiums are edible. What other flowers are you doing?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9441722

Peggy,
Just incorporating flowers into the edible gardens. Marigolds add color to all the veggie greenery, and serve as a trap for some bugs that will go to them first, instead of the veggies!

I have a whole edible landscape garden plan that was drawn up about 2 years ago. Moving slowly on putting things in. Eventually, there'll be many types of ferns, caladiums, begonias, azaleas, existing crepe myrtles & sago palms, nasturtiums and daylilies, amongst which many, many veggies will be grown!

Linda
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9442608

Linda-How fun!! I will be looking for pictures of your ongoing project! Thanks again for the advice! Happy gardening!!
HAPPY SPRING TO ALL!!!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9443369

GG- watch out for Spider Mites, they love marigolds and hey are the bain of my garden.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2013
8:30 PM

Post #9444396

Lisa,
I've got an aphid infestation in a raised bed. I sprayed Neem Oil. Is there something more I should do? I need to get that bed ready for some seedlings...

Thanks!

Linda
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9444411

Neem oil is a great product but I'm not sure about aphids. I'll dmail you tomorrow. My answer isn't politically correct so I don't want to start a debate. Terrible to say, but that's what it's come to.

I think drthor said she planted her tomatoes in the same spot where she had aphids on some other crop..I don't know if they caused a problem or not.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2013
10:32 PM

Post #9444435

Thanks, Lisa!

We can talk offline tomorrow.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9444745

GG-I was going to dmail you about using another insecticide on your raised bed but to be honest I'm not familiar with the Aphid's life cycle. I don't know if they over winter in the dirt or what. I'm sure somebody else could give you a better answer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America