AuthorContent

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9420778

I have the Echinopsis Hybrid 'Flying Saucer', and several other Trichocereus type cactus. I have been unable to get them to bloom. I am going to set them outside (under the porch) early to see if the cold will encourage them to bloom. I was wondering how much cold can they take and for how long?
Thanks, Gary

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9421005

My various Echinopsis were undamaged this winter, and we were briefly below 20F.
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9421100

Hi Gary,

I have several Echinopsis/Trichocereus cacti (a combination of hybrids and true species) that just came through a 5 day spell of low to mid twenties during the night just fine without any measures to protect them - but it did warm up significantly during the day. I had another not survive, this was a hybrid, but I think the large amount of rain we got right after the freeze might have had something to do with that.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a good cold spell during the winter months is supposed to help them bloom, but cannot remember where.

I guess, from my limited experience I would be inclined to be extra careful with the hybrids, and worry less about any true species that you can establish the hardiness for.

My luck with getting blooms on the different Echinopsis/Trichocereus cacti has been mixed, some have bloomed immediately from when they are little tiny balls while others have grown and grown, and despite bloom stimulating fertilizer have refused to bloom. One interesting experience I have had is with a batch of pups from E. eyriesii a couple of years ago, I had two pots full of them one I left near the house under the patio awning - but still with good sun exposure, while the order got put in the middle of the yard - those in the yard have already bloomed (and impressively so), while those near the house - which remains pretty warm even on the very cold nights - have not yet. Aside from maybe a couple of hours of sun a day more for those in the middle of the yard, all other conditions including water and fertilizer have been the same.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9421280

Thanks. I the past, I have watered them at least once while inside. This year they have not been watered. Hopefully this and putting them out early will get them to bloom. I have the Echinopsis Los Angeles, which looks like the E. eriesii, that blooms on and off all summer long. I put some of them in the yard this year and they bloomed a lot more than the ones on the porch. I usuallly just use rain water, but am going to use fertilizer this year. What type fertilizer deo you use?
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9421371

All my plants went through their worst freeze ever, not the coldest necesarily, but the longest, every night from 25 degrees to 28 degrees for around 8-10 nights. And this little red flowered beauty is defying all cold weather by putting out flower buds now. There are three buds. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9421401

For regular fertilizing of cacti and succulents I use something called cactus juice or the miracle grow fertilizer specifically for cacti and succulents. Following some of the others on the forums here I have tried the rose and bloom stimulator varieties of liquid miracle grow to see if that would help get some of the Echinopsi to bloom. Not sure if I can say based on my experience so far that those have helped, but since others swear by it, I will keep using it in the spring in place of the regular stuff for those that I am trying to induce blooms in.

I have a couple of the E. Los Angeles in pots, which came through the cold just fine. The hybrid that died came without a name from the box store I bought it at, but had flowers with orange petals and a deep red heart (see attached - the color of the heart might not be quite as vivid as reality). I got a whole bunch of named hybrids over the fall, most of them pretty small, they are in pots and were just fine during the cold spell, but none of them have started on their flowers yet, like xuling's.

Cheers.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9421457

What a lovely color, I hope that it blooms again. I find the Miracle Grow fertilizer for C/S too expensiove and too time consuming counting out thousands of drops. I use "Cactus Juice" but am not convinced that it does anything. ja ja ja.
Xuling

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9422413

I'm going to wait at least another week, because the temps are going to drop to around 20F a couple days this week. Thanks for the tip on the fertilizer. I have been using tomato fertilizer half strength (a tip from other DG'ers). I'll try to find some cactus juice.

Thanks again, Gary
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9422485

I believe that I found the Cactus Juice at Home Depot. X

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9541829

I couldn't find the cactus juice, so I bought the Schults cactus fertilizer. I put the plants out at the end of February. They are now in full sun and the E. apricot glow is forming buds. I think I may have started watering them too soon. I'm going to wait a little longer next year. The plant in the first picture (center ) is the E. apricot glow. The second picture shows the E "Los Angeles". Most of them have buds.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9541835

I posted the wrong picture (first one). Here it is.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus

mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9542045

Very nice! A lot of my Echinopsi got buds, but except for Los Angeles, Fluffy Ruffles, eyriesii and oxygona they did not get flowers and this weekend we might hit 110F (definitely 108F) so I think the healthy flowering window for Echinopsis is closing here. As usual crazy hot weather caught up on me before I got many of my gardening plans finished... but at 108F and above working in the yard is not much fun at all.

I am not sure but I think you can get Cactus Juice from amazon, but I am sure the stuff you got is fine. The other thing that I have done that has seemingly helped a lot of my Mammillarias and some other cacti in the same hanging baskets flower is use the miracle grow cactus soil that has slow release fertilizer in it. I mix that with some sand and pumice and when I repot stuff use that as the new soil. Now Mammillarias seem to flower here without much problem, but the ones in the hanging baskets with the fertilizer containing soil did a lot better than a bunch that are just in the ground that only got one shot of liquid fertilizer a few months back.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9542187

The Schults fertilizer seems to be working well on my Mammillarias. They are blooming very well. And a lot of my other cacti are setting buds. I do mix the fertilizer with rain water, so that probably helps, too. Last year we had a very hot summer. Two weeks of 100F and above. Very unusual for our part of the country. My plants didn't do very well. This has been a mild spring and everything is looking pretty good. Thanks for the tip on the cactus juice. I may order some.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus

mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9542344

Blooming Mammillarias are so pretty... I think it very much is what your plants are used to if they never get a lot of 100+ then when they do get it they probably do not like it. Here we have been hovering between 95-100 for more or less the complete month of May and this weekend we are going way above that. I have a bunch of shade cloth already deployed, especially on plants that are in front of a west facing wall that get late afternoon low angle sun. They are fine with the mid day sun, but the low angle sun during the hottest part of the day seems to really get to them. Some 50% shade cloth to protect that side seems to work well though.
A whole bunch of the potted plants will go under the porch or a shade structure this weekend for the rest of the summer.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America