Simi Valley, CA

Can't figure out what this tree is. Can anyone help with this?

Thumbnail by Lovemanyplants Thumbnail by Lovemanyplants
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Do you have any additional images, like closeups of stems/branches showing the leaf attachment?

That palmate compound foliage (especially if it is oppositely arranged along the stem) looks like a Buckeye, possibly Aesculus californica.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to California Buckeye Aesculus californica

Resin

Simi Valley, CA

I posted pictures of what the trunk of the tree looks like also. Please let me know if you need any further. The new leaves start redish and turn green.the bark is a bumpy brown/greyish. It has not flowered yet but most of my plants are like that because of the freeze. I believe the fruit last fall was cream colored.

Thumbnail by Lovemanyplants Thumbnail by Lovemanyplants Thumbnail by Lovemanyplants Thumbnail by Lovemanyplants
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hmmm . . . big 'Ooops!' - it has alternate leaves, so NOT California Buckeye after all. Not sure what it is now!

Resin

Simi Valley, CA

Got feedback from a nursery that told me that it was a White Sapote. Cream colored feuit and the bark matches exactly. So, if they are right, that means that it is not a poisonous plant but instead an edible plant. Anyone agree?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That looks like it fits with Casimiroa edulis.

Photos that show the key ID parts of a plant (leaf arrangement, buds, flowers, fruit) and all the gross (larger) features make all the difference in reducing the time in determining identity.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.