Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Tree just popped up

Simi Valley, CA

This tree just grew. Obviously some little bird landed this one in my lap but I'm not sure of what it is. Anyone know?

Thumbnail by Lovemanyplants Thumbnail by Lovemanyplants
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Show us more of the plant - stems, branches, whole plant.

Just the leaf alone leads me to guess Morus alba - Asian Mulberry. This species will notoriously be distributed by birds to sprout just about anywhere - including laps.

Simi Valley, CA

There isn't much of the plant because it just sprouted this year but here are the pics.

Thumbnail by Lovemanyplants Thumbnail by Lovemanyplants Thumbnail by Lovemanyplants Thumbnail by Lovemanyplants

That's the pestiferous Asian/White Mulberry - Morus alba.

Simi Valley, CA

Had someone at a nursery tell me that it was something else but didn't write it down and can't remember. Any other ideas? Wish it were Asian Mullberry. Love the fruit!! Thanks.

If not a Mulberry of some sort, then I'm not able to help further.

It looks like a woody plant that has at least a year's growth. There's a main stem, and several side branches - one of which has the new leaves you have shown. That looks like a couple or three season's worth of growing - but since you are in mild CA, maybe that happens in one year.

Did this plant sprout in the pot shown? Or was it transplanted into it from somewhere else?

Simi Valley, CA

The plant sprouted in the pot and has only been around maybe 8 months. Someone else said possible maple or sycamore. I'm still hoping you're right!:)

Definitely not Maple - Acer sp. have opposite arrangement of foliage, and that plant is alternately arranged.

I don't see anything remotely like the dormant buds of Sycamore in those images, and the leaves really don't match Platanus sp. either.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

This is kind of a long shot but could it be Humulus lupulus 'Aureus' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1153/

With that stiff woody stem?

I think those are chlorotic leaves - not necessarily variegated...

Simi Valley, CA

Not a climber. More of a tree. And a tall stick of one too. Still hoping on the Mullberry. Had one in my old house but it was a black one and it was amazing. Soo sad to leave it. They cut it down!:(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.