Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

February 16, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9421228

A trip into the local woods yielded several plants I can't ID. Please help. I'll load pic on 2 here and another post will have another one. The first 2 are of a local tree It is maybe 25' tall with weeping limbs. Been in bloom about a week if this is a flower. No leaves yet.

Second seems to be like a shrub. Branch was about 6' off the ground. It was in the middle of a stand of bamboo.

Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9421390

Too bad you don't offer pics of the whole plant for either one.

The third and fourth images represent an Ulmus sp. (Elm).
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

February 16, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9421453

Hi Viburnum.

Thanks but I am not sure about the elm. This plant was a shrub with severa; branches coming from the base. Also these leaves are really big for an elm. Most of the elms around here are winged elms and this doesn't show any part of a wing.

The first one is a large tree with all the branches hanging down like a willow. It looks unique with nothing but these buds on it . This some kind of native tree because they are everywhere and couldn't be planted back in heavy woods. The tree has a rfeal whispy look.
vngarden
Seattle, WA

February 16, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9421480

3rd, 4th represent Alnus incana?

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2013
1:03 AM

Post #9421558

Ditto to an elm for ##3-4

Resin

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9421845

The single leaf shown has the trademark oblique leaf base for an elm. I don't know what elms reside in Spring, TX - but I bet there are more than a few in addition to Winged Elm. Also - young plants can exhibit morphologies that differ from mature plants that you are used to identifying. This extends to leaves, stems, and overall habit.

On the same plant, the leaf formed from a dormant bud can often differ markedly from a leaf form on new growth extensions in summer months. Take a look yourself, as this season progresses. The new summer leaves are often much larger, and can vary tremendously in lobing, etc. on plants like Morus. On the 125+ varieties of viburnums I grow, I can consistently observe these differences from spring emergence of leaves to summer stem growth of new leaves.

Another circumstance in which you will see much larger leaves than normal is when the leaves grow in a low-light situation - such as one might find in a stand of bamboo, where an elm seed could easily blow to and germinate where it lands in such a shady spot. Here, a plant will put its energy into fewer leaves, but will form more leaf surface per leaf in order to efficiently capture any light that reaches it.

This plant could easily have several stems if it had been broken or bitten off, and since resprouted.

Again - all these points are based on experience with plants I can see, touch, and live with. I'm not in TX with you to discuss. Providing as much information as is available - such as images of the WHOLE plants - really helps those who can only assist from afar.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

February 17, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9421944

Hang tight y'all, soon as the wife gets home we will go take more pics and see if it helps

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9422015

Thank you for your efforts - we get anxious on cold Sunday afternoons when the ID string runs out...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9422043

...ditto !
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

February 17, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9422328

OK now, On the first pics ( 3 ) here is the tree that this bud came from. Maybe it will help. Looks almost like a Smoke tree but it is something else and they are everywhere in my area...not planted just random in the woods and in people's yards.

One the second set, it is starting to look more Elmy or more Elm-like. Here is a picture of the leaves at about 12' on a slender trunk. No branches and just the leaves at the tips. Just long straight trees. The lighter colored leaves in the middle of the pic. nThe leaves are alternate.

Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler

OldWrangler
Spring, TX

February 18, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9423845

Here is a tree that I ran with an Elm. Everybody could identify the Elm but no one offered a guess on this one. So I am gonna send just the best pics on this tree for ID. Someone must know what it is. In my local area, north of Houston, there are many trees of this kind so it is bound to be a native. Sure would like to find out what it is.

Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler

OldWrangler
Spring, TX

February 19, 2013
9:49 PM

Post #9425087

bump

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9425899

That second set of posted images are the same as previous ones, right? If possible, you should add more new images - not recycle what is available to be seen already. More information = better ability to determine what you have.

If no more information will be provided - and going only on what you've stated and shown thus far - I'm going with my original gut feeling that this is an elm species (Ulmus sp.).

**Elm is a common tree species.
**It can grow just about anywhere the seeds land as windblown entities from native trees.
**Elms are very early season blooming and seed-setting trees.
**Elms have an arching vase-shaped habit.
**Elms have seeds that could look like your images just as they've been pollinated but are not yet mature.

All this adds up to why I say: take more pics! The seeds should be more mature by now (close to a week later), and will look more like a seed that is recognizable. Take pictures of the trunks/bark, and any other parts of the plant not currently illustrated.

The wispy characteristic (to me) is due to the lightness and density of all those seeds along the cascading branches, which stands out during this phase of that plant's life. The rest of the year - if it is an elm, as I believe - this tree is pretty much just green background noise to all the rest of the plant life around your community.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America