Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

another ID

Spring, TX

This is a vine and looks like poison ivy but I am not sure. We have several plants similar to P I but are something else. I guess the red in the leaf is a winter color. See what you think,.

Thumbnail by OldWrangler Thumbnail by OldWrangler
Spring, TX

Reading info about this type of leaf it seems that it might be a pepper vine or poison ivy. But then it could be something entirely different. I can't see a difference between the pepper and the ivy. And I think both have red leaves in winter.

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

Looks like PI to me, but there's that box elder thing that is so close. Are there any berries?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

If I recall correctly, poison ivy has alternate leafing, which would rule out for this plant. IF i recall correctly. Other point is that the size difference between the paired leaflets and the one at the tip, does not look right for poison ivy, to me. But bear in mind, mine grows a thousand + miles away.

Spring, TX

Just a side note to Sallyg. I am wondering where or what is "Castle Anne Arundel"?
I grew up in Anne Arundel County. From Severna Park to a place on the Magothy River. I went to Annapolis High (class of 1956). I've been away a long time but don't recall every hearing about Castle.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Wrangler- it is a joke location... sorry for any confusion or angst. I have worked and lived in this county 20 some years now, Severna Park is a very nice area. Annapolis area has grown huge in the last couple decades.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Again, shy with the images of the whole plant!

Providing only pieces of a plant out of context can lead to misinterpretations of what is seen. Those images look to me like part of the compound foliage of a plant. There is no way to tell whether the plant has opposite or alternate arrangement of foliage, nor what the vine's stem looks like.

Given this information and no more, I'd guess that this plant could be Ampelopsis arborea - Pepper Vine.

Spring, TX

Viburnum, I think you are right that it is indeed Pepper Plant. Locally it seems to be more prevailent than Poison Ivy. Seems that the 2 smaller leaflets with a large center leaf are probably the determining characteristic. I'm gonna call it Pepper unless someone has a reason why it isn't or unless a rash breaks out. Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.