Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: another ID

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

February 16, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9421231

This is a vine and looks like poison ivy but I am not sure. We have several plants similar to P I but are something else. I guess the red in the leaf is a winter color. See what you think,.

Thumbnail by OldWrangler   Thumbnail by OldWrangler
Click an image for an enlarged view.

OldWrangler
Spring, TX

February 16, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9421454

Reading info about this type of leaf it seems that it might be a pepper vine or poison ivy. But then it could be something entirely different. I can't see a difference between the pepper and the ivy. And I think both have red leaves in winter.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9421814

Looks like PI to me, but there's that box elder thing that is so close. Are there any berries?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9421828

If I recall correctly, poison ivy has alternate leafing, which would rule out for this plant. IF i recall correctly. Other point is that the size difference between the paired leaflets and the one at the tip, does not look right for poison ivy, to me. But bear in mind, mine grows a thousand + miles away.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

February 17, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9421943

Just a side note to Sallyg. I am wondering where or what is "Castle Anne Arundel"?
I grew up in Anne Arundel County. From Severna Park to a place on the Magothy River. I went to Annapolis High (class of 1956). I've been away a long time but don't recall every hearing about Castle.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9421965

Wrangler- it is a joke location... sorry for any confusion or angst. I have worked and lived in this county 20 some years now, Severna Park is a very nice area. Annapolis area has grown huge in the last couple decades.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9421986

Again, shy with the images of the whole plant!

Providing only pieces of a plant out of context can lead to misinterpretations of what is seen. Those images look to me like part of the compound foliage of a plant. There is no way to tell whether the plant has opposite or alternate arrangement of foliage, nor what the vine's stem looks like.

Given this information and no more, I'd guess that this plant could be Ampelopsis arborea - Pepper Vine.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

February 18, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9422930

Viburnum, I think you are right that it is indeed Pepper Plant. Locally it seems to be more prevailent than Poison Ivy. Seems that the 2 smaller leaflets with a large center leaf are probably the determining characteristic. I'm gonna call it Pepper unless someone has a reason why it isn't or unless a rash breaks out. Thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America