Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cacti and Succulents: Echinopsis subdenudata

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 7, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

February 17, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9421825

Echinopsis subdenudata flowering every second week since December.

Thumbnail by Little_things
Click the image for an enlarged view.

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 17, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9422518

what a fabulous little plant. what zones does it do well in? Xuling
Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

February 18, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9422735

Talking about 25F, briefly in my ref. book. Had it in Bloem when it got to around that, but this was always covered with others in frost cloth, anyway, Z9 + would be a guess.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9423139

I grow it here in Phoenix zone 9 A/B and it blooms great in May and June. Here it is last May 2nd. Once it gets real hot (like 105 degrees), it is not happy and the blooms don't open.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9423602

Thanks LT and N for the zone info. I cover everything up for frost, but the extended freeze we had has really hit lots of plants. I have so many spaces in the cactus beds along with the newly built cactus bed that I don't think that my budget will allow me to buy enough plants to fill all the spaces. Oh, what to do????? :) Xuling
Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

February 18, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9423744

I tend to look toward multipliers and ground covers - Aeoniums multiply quickly, love A. 'kiwi' for instance, started with six plants, my whole garden has grouping now. Then something like budget mini-sculpture or similar to fill. I do not know, but I am opening up an huge area right now, which will be filled by aloes, crassulaceae, mesembs, rocks...all seed grown and collected from the local surrounds.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

February 18, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9423843

Aeoniums are the ultimate multiplier. Last summer one of the Aeoniums in the park was whacked by somebody and all the heads were strewn on the ground. So I carefully picked up the remains and rooted every last piece. Last month I installed five new plants where the original used to be. There are four more about the same size ready to go in. And the biggest head (which I'm keeping as a container plant) has already started making a couple of branches. It's awesome. Where there was one plant, there are now ten (all in full sun, btw). A gift of opportunity, as it were. A few observations from that little experiment: shorter stems root and grow faster, multiheaded cuts branch sooner, fall is the time to do it.

Be sure to keep us posted on your huge new area, LT.
Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

February 19, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9424406

Yeah will do.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America