Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: unidentified evergreen in Houston

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 2, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
curlyfly15
Houston, TX

February 17, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9421951

It has the shape of a red oak, is a single trunk, evergreen - a beautiful apple green. the leaves are super soft, the tree did not have any berries, fruit, or acorns. I have been trying to identify the tree for sometime now, i am desperate to know!

Thumbnail by curlyfly15   Thumbnail by curlyfly15   Thumbnail by curlyfly15   Thumbnail by curlyfly15
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9422010

Don't know my Houston area woody plants all that well, but I'll take a crack at it.

If this tree is indeed an oak, it could very well be something similar to a Willow Oak (Quercus phellos) that has this shape leaf. I don't see any bristle tips on the foliage closeup shot, so it doesn't fit Willow Oak. Live Oak (Quercus virginiana) has this shape leaf, and is evergreen. There are several other White Oak group species (no bristle tips on foliage) that have this foliage morphology.

Try to take another stem from this plant, and lay it down to photo the stems, buds, leaf attachments etc. under good lighting and focus. Oaks have very distinct arrangement of buds and foliage, and more/better images can help separate this from other species that your plant might be.
nel5397
Groveland, FL

February 17, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9422022

looks like a laurel oak.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America