SOLVED: unidentified evergreen in Houston

Houston, TX

It has the shape of a red oak, is a single trunk, evergreen - a beautiful apple green. the leaves are super soft, the tree did not have any berries, fruit, or acorns. I have been trying to identify the tree for sometime now, i am desperate to know!

Thumbnail by curlyfly15 Thumbnail by curlyfly15 Thumbnail by curlyfly15 Thumbnail by curlyfly15
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Don't know my Houston area woody plants all that well, but I'll take a crack at it.

If this tree is indeed an oak, it could very well be something similar to a Willow Oak (Quercus phellos) that has this shape leaf. I don't see any bristle tips on the foliage closeup shot, so it doesn't fit Willow Oak. Live Oak (Quercus virginiana) has this shape leaf, and is evergreen. There are several other White Oak group species (no bristle tips on foliage) that have this foliage morphology.

Try to take another stem from this plant, and lay it down to photo the stems, buds, leaf attachments etc. under good lighting and focus. Oaks have very distinct arrangement of buds and foliage, and more/better images can help separate this from other species that your plant might be.

Groveland, FL

looks like a laurel oak.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.