Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Please help identify this plant.

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 29, Views: 271
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daisydai
Johannesburg
South Africa

February 17, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9422041

I think it is some type of tree orchid

Thumbnail by daisydai
Click the image for an enlarged view.

vngarden
Seattle, WA

February 17, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9422089

Could be some sort of epiphytic orchid. I am not sure if you were content with my response but that is my guess.
Rlalique
Bristol
United Kingdom

February 17, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9422097

That root system looks like Eremurus? But the flower?
daisydai
Johannesburg
South Africa

February 17, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9422123

The photograph was taken in the Kafue National Park in Zambia. I am not sure that it is a type of epiphytic orchid?
vngarden
Seattle, WA

February 17, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9422128

What part of that made you think it is some kind of tree orchid? Do you have any photos that can show some other angles or dimensions?

The root system looks like an orchid-type but not sure about the flowers.
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

February 17, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9422169

There are many, many species of leafless orchids in the world; but without some very clear and detailed photos of the flower, I do not think you will get an ID. Knowing what part of the world it was found in, it is likely to be a sp. in the Angraecum group. Maybe a posting in the orchid forum would get you farther.
daisydai
Johannesburg
South Africa

February 17, 2013
11:37 PM

Post #9422579

Here are a few more pics. The owner of the lodge where we were staying said it was a spider orchid however, the flowers do not look like spider orchid flowers.

Thumbnail by daisydai   Thumbnail by daisydai   Thumbnail by daisydai   Thumbnail by daisydai   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
6:35 AM

Post #9422828

It resembles Microcoelia stolzii a leafless epiphytic orchid a member of Aerangidinae family

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/microcoelia/Interesting

28188015@N05':'28188015@N05'))/3531695270" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripslashes((strlen('28188015')>0?'28188015@N05':'28188015@N05'))/3531695270

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9423375

It does resemble Microcoelia stolzii. I think you're right moon.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9423529

You know my fun with pictures Growin, but I have a friend that grows a number of the leafless species and that happens to be one I have seen bloom and it looks really close.
SuziQ4u
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2013
9:22 PM

Post #9428549

I came up with the same: http://www.orchidworks2.com/460108/species/

You can also contact Betty Lee of the Orchid Society in Jamaica. She is a consistent prize winning grower and an old family friend. She should be able to give you a definite ID.
SuziQ4u
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2013
9:49 PM

Post #9428562

It is currently the 100th photo within the provided link (13th row, 1st photo).

PS. My cat knocked over my favorite orchid last night, right after I finally managed to get it to bloom again, and broke the planting pot. She broke off two of three blooms. I swept all up and replanted it in a new planting pot, and darned if she did not get right back up there and do it a second time, the little shedevil.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9428743

Good thing kitties have 9 lives, SuziQ...cuz they surely seem to know what to do to lose them...GRIN
SuziQ4u
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
2:03 AM

Post #9430596

Once I figure out where the orchid section is located, I might just post her photo in the pest section, but I'll do it here in the event such does not exist. Next trial pesticide might be a mixture of one part water and one part urine from my other female cat (they hate each other), sprayed directly onto the miniature she-devil. Meanwhile, I am growing rather fond of this particular orchid we are supposed to be identifying within this thread, simply because it is rather unique.

Thumbnail by SuziQ4u
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9430677

The leafless orchids are kinda cool...I tell my cats all the time it is fortunate that they are pretty...else they would be on wanted posters...grin
SuziQ4u
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9431094

I think I like the leafless, because it reminds me of this Spanish Moss invasion I am currently fighting; it is more of a pest than the she-devil. I probably would not mind it as much, if when it continually crept its starters into the gardens, it produced flowers of its own. I like these photos where it has attached to the trees in such a natural manner.

As for the she-devil, no worries, she along my other were rescues (something else I frequently do). They are spoiled beyond rotten, and that is probably half our problem here. Speaking of such, I just rescued three pilgrim geese. They are listed as critically rare and are on the conservation list. I am looking for someone who wishes to breed them in order to increase their numbers, so if anyone knows of a loving home for such, just let me know; they are excellent garden weeders. They are extremely docile and socialized, due to having been hand raised by children at a high school (which then dumped them at a county park with lake of all things...the gander did not make it past the uneducated vet, sadly). Attached are two photos of one of the princesses, and I hope you do not mind we have inadvertently hijacked your thread, Daisy (perhaps you will think of it as added spice). :)

Thumbnail by SuziQ4u   Thumbnail by SuziQ4u         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9431102

Check out this link for the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy. They may be able to help you locate a good home for them. I think the pilgrim goose is a lovely bird.

http://albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/pilgrim.html
vngarden
Seattle, WA

February 25, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9431550

SuziQ4U, what camera do you use for your photography? Do you post or upload your photos to Flcker?

Just curious.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9431556

I agree VNGarden...She does have some nice pics here.
SuziQ4u
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9431639

Thank you for posting the link to the conservancy, Moon, as well as the compliment. Eric is the new director there (quite wonderful too), and he is highly familiar with my find. Jeanette as well, and she is a truly amazing photographer herself. I contacted them close to a month ago for proper identification. They realize I am looking to keep the birds here in Florida, and hopefully close to me; quite a bond I have developed with that particular princess. She is a sweetheart, loves to follow me around and roost at my feet. I am very particular about what I want for them.

Those photos were taken with the Canon XTi, utilizing the 300mm. No, I do not currently utilize any of the social networking for my photos; I can barely figure out how to operate my new Samsung Galaxy III (old school here and fairly anti-internet, but maybe one day). I do publish them in various magazines and such at times.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9432010

I fully understand the attachment. I hope you find them a happy home where you can visit them. DG and a couple other sites are about as social as I get...grin I think the conservancy is a wonderful venture...should have realized it isn't a "secret" GRIN
SuziQ4u
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9432978

Thanks, me too! Have been hard at work on it today, finally contacting the CEO of our Florida Farm Bureau; he is to get back with me when he gets in tomorrow. Then, I discover my little half-brother lives upon a 1000 acre farm (his aunt and uncles, I had no idea he had moved there). I learned they have geese, and recently lost three (isn't that odd) to a sneaky bobcat (night surveillance camera discovery). His aunt wants three more geese! Five safe traps have been set to no avail, the she-devil is wise. I will not let them go there, until it is caught. Hopefully this works!

DG is interesting (no facespace or the like for me). I planted myself in this section, but did discover the photo contest last night, and it contains many nice photos! I also contacted one of our county's top master gardeners, making arrangements for him to visit, and so I do not need to upload anymore photos of my own in such terrible shape, which is great, because it is embarrassing, lol...(we did finally get some rain this week, though)!

Daisy, I sent an email to Jackie down in Jamaica, but she has changed her email address. Usually I just fly down there and knock on the door shouting, "I have arrived!" I wanted you to know I tried.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9433318

We have had more than our fair share of rain since January...almost 2 feet...and our norm is about 10 inches...hopefully it will control the lubber population...grin Good luck on your quest for a home for the geese.
SuziQ4u
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9433958

Thanks. A new area on the farm has been created for the she-devil which hopefully it will find more enticing once captured, and a quest for a guardian dog for the geese has already started.

Last time I was in LA was for disaster relief during Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. That was enough water to last me for a lifetime (and my last storm work), so I'll be happy once my irrigation system is functioning properly.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9434002

That was enough water to last us all a lifetime. Sounds like things are in the works for a safe home for the geese.
SuziQ4u
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9434007

No doubt there; I worked them for a decade, and both of those were doozies; although we did have a tropical storm after that which produced catastrophic flooding (sat on top of us forever before meandering off)...edit: historical levels.

This is what I am now searching for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdLfmFAZ6Ag

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 7:05 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9434019

I have lived in La most of my life, and always in the south/south central part of the state. Due to my parents involvement, we saw a lot of scary stuff and did a lot of cleaning up over the years starting with Betsy in 1965 when I was 14.

When my kids were young they had a pair of ducks, Beijing and Peking...my shepherd Border collie mix thought they were her's. She herded them and "talked" to them and would bark furiously at anyone or anything that came into the yard... She was heart broken when they moved to the family farm...so much so that we had to get her a kitten and it started all over.grin
SuziQ4u
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9434182

For the record, this thread is totally cracking me up, LOL. Daisy must have the patience of Job!

Moon, you are two years older than I, and we had a family farm as well, only we did not live upon it. Although I am a native Floridian, I only lived here during the summers, eastern Tennessee the rest of the time during youth (mostly Atlanta and Jamaica after that). Our farm was 12 miles from our house in the suburbs (show horses, cattle and a few chickens). I once hand-raised a rooster at home and took it to the farm much later. A bobcat finally killed it, but it lasted longer than any of the wild ones down there (would even attack people upon my command). A friend of mine currently has a border collie, and it is such a sweet, extremely intelligent dog. It quickly climbs a tree upon command and has a fit if it is left upon the shore when the owner and I go out on old school trick skis (stand ups)...it loves to ride (I have hundreds of photos). Perhaps it is my old Irish blood, but I love this video, and based upon what you wrote figure you will as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6kL0uTlhpw&feature=endscreen&NR=1

SuziQ4u
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9434195

oopps, I meant to type that you are approximately twelve years older...turning the big 50 later this year.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9434295

Thanks...made my Scots-Irish heart happy...grin. Border Collies are delightful dogs, so eager to please. I am a La transplant by way of So Illinois. I am not sure if Daisy has even returned, she only started here in January. That happens in this forum quite often.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America