Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Cutting back peonies

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Linz7979
Cleveland Heights, OH

February 18, 2013
5:46 AM

Post #9422749

I forgot to cut back my peony in the fall. It is now drooping over to the ground. Should I just leave it and see what happens in the spring or should I cut it back now (February)? I live near Cleveland where it is quite cold in the winter and snows a lot. Thanks for any advice you can give.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 18, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9422897

You can cut them back now, they're sleeping. Corrections welcomed!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 18, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9423070

Hi Linz, I never cut back my Peony's till early spring as I use the dying / dead foliage to give the large Tuber some protection from cold or frost as the dead stuff lays over it.
If end of summer the foliage is damaged (deer running through the garden) so If I have to cut back end of summer, I throw a good 2-3 inch compost over the tuber area BUT not covering the crown as I dont want rot to set in the still green stem area.

Now when you cut back your dried out stems (they sometimes just tug away from the tuber) but if more than a tug is required, I'd cut it as you dont want to damage the tuber. At this time I also gently hand fork around the inch or so top soil, then I add a handful of chicken pellets or other multi purpose plant feed to this top dressing and leave this on the top soil or fork it into the soil, but be careful NOT to damage the large spread out tuber as these plant tubers are or should be JUST under the soil where it can enjoy being baked in the sunshine, the top dressing will give some moisture retention to the soil and also well needed feed as these plants are greedy feeders and like a good drink to give out lovely lush foliage and those beautiful large flowers.

Good luck. Weenel.
Linz7979
Cleveland Heights, OH

February 21, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9427338

Thank you!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 22, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9427872

Very welcome and good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America