Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Questions about leftover live onions

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9423001

I grew and froze so many onions last year, that I have enough to last through next spring!

There are some onions in the garden that must have been so small they were missed when I pulled the crop last summer. They are sprouting! What will these onions do? Will they grow into larger bulbs? Will they set seed? If they set seed, is it worth saving the seed? Should I just pull them up and compost them?

Also - I have some onions that I never got around to chopping and freezing. Some of them are sprouting, even though they are sitting on a table under a covered porch. What should I do with them (other than eating them)?

All these are "Candy" - I think Candy is a hybrid.

Lots of questions, but I know yŠll have answers.

Thanks in advance :)
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9423078

If you like "green" onions (scallions) you have a nice early crop.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9423219

Let em grow. if they sprout- plant em. I dont think I would save seeds tho. fresh is good and can be chopped in breakfast eggs, etc.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9423663

Honeybee the Onion Lady! HaHaHa!

It sounds like you just have a big ole' mess of onions!

Just having fun with you girl... It sounds great to me. Onions are one of my favorite things next to Garlic.

After having a restaurant in New Orleans for years, my first thought was carmelized onions. A little EVOO (extra virgin Olive Oil as Rachel Raye calls it) in a pan and stir-frying them is incredible and they condense into no space and can be refroze for future use in sauces. Great by themselves over meats and chicken and great on sandwiches!

I think all Alliums are great in a garden along with annuals and perennials too. The flower heads are great popping up here and there...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9423770

I agree with plant em, Even if they get tough setting seed you can still "cook em in" That is what I do with mine when they get "hot" in the summer ..

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9424106

Honeybee,

Onions are biennial, so both the missed onions or planting last year's bulbs will go to seed. They should be fine for green onion though. There are probably recipes for the onion flower heads, too. Maybe batter and fry the onion flowers and serve with battered and fried squash blossoms. Or, just cut the scapes before they open and used Kiel green onions.

David
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9424222

so much to learn, some great info here but all i can think of is carmelized onions! yum

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9424267

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Hubby and I eat a LOT of onions - keeps us "regular" if you know what I mean (LOL)

As to the ones already growing in the garden, perhaps I'll leave them and see what happens.

I didn't know onion flowers were edible. Bees, especially the tiny native bees, love onion flowers.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9424814

If nothing else the flowers are pretty.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9424894

There are always onions growing wherever I live, in several stages of ages... they share spaces well with other plants if I dont use them up.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America