Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cacti and Succulents: Lowes today

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 23, Views: 277
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 19, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9424717

I have these on my mail order list from miles to go nursery. Now, I found 4 at Lowes for $2.98 each. Not sure how they will do but I hope they flower this summer.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Ravens444
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9424909

Great find!
Crista
Gilbert, AZ

February 19, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9424919

It's interesting with Lowes - you never know what you'll find!
Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

February 19, 2013
8:49 PM

Post #9425033

Frithia's should be kept dry in winter and use rainwater, like acidity. Also do not water heavily when night time temps go higher than 68F. I mist mine at night and water once a week in summer. They do have lovely little flowers - great find.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9425283

From the green on top of the soil, it looks like someone at Lowe's has been watering (I hope not too much!!!)
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9425328

That is a great find! And I agree with NancySLAZ, It does look like it's been extremely well watered. I think I'd repot the little guy. Post again when it does flower. Would love to see it!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 20, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9425697

I also bought two Delosperma sutherlandi. How do you think they would fair in the heat and sun here? I was thinking of putting them into the edge of the cacti bed but not sure it would give enough afternoon shade.
C
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9425993

From what I've seen, the full sun would probably not be a problem…But what is your heat zone?
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 21, 2013
2:54 AM

Post #9426310

I wasn't sure. When I looked it up it says 9.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9428860

I've planted these outside in my garden for the last four years. They have done extremely well for me (zone 6b). Last year was the worst they have done. We had two weeks of 100+ temps and very little rain. They looked so bad that I didn't even dig them up last year. I even had one little plant that survived most of the winter until it dropped down to about 10 deg in mid January. I'm really surprised how well they do here. I have bought mine from Lowes each year, also.
Gary

Thumbnail by smashedcactus

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 23, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9428978

Gary the plant I bought is not baby toes or Fenestraria. They are Frithia, which are of course a different genus with lovely pinkish blooms. I do see baby toes at Lowe's each year too. I currently have two plants that I got there 2 years ago. I keep mine alive under lights in winter and then move the pots outside in part shade and they have done OK so far.
C

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9430328

Wow! They look so much alike. I will have to try some of them if I can find any.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9435346

Our Lowe's here got a shipment in this week of a wide variety of lovely succulents...Frithias, sedums, graptopetalums, escheverias, aloes, euphorbias, lithops and more...and all of them under $5. Some were in tiny 4 paks...what bliss. I traded a fancy anniversary dinner for a flat of pretties...DH was pleased...he didn't have to dress up grin
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9435351

Happy Anniversary, moon! Sounds to me like a good trade! :-))

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9435367

Thanks Tim. I was ecstatic...my husband said get one for each year...when I picked up my jaw, I started combing through and wound up with 41 different plants and cultivars...I think he forgot how long we have been married GRIN. The most amazing thing to me was that every single plant was labeled with botanic name and cultivar...what a rarity for a big box store.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9435568

Wow! You've got me beat by 11years! It's becoming a rarity to see marriages last that long now a days. Congrats! My goodness, I hope you've got plenty of room for all your new additions. It's a surprise to find labels at all sometimes at these stores…Much less some that are detailed. Hmmm….I think I may have to take a trip to our Lowe's this weekend! :-)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9435817

Yeah, I think we have the marriage thing fairly well mastered... We have both learned to "walk away"...GRIN

All of the plants are from Altman Plants in Vista, California. It was a pleasure to pick up each pot and see something beside "Succulent plant, full sun"

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 1, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9435845

Thats were all the spring succulants at HD and Lowe's come from in spring. Not too bad if you get them early but they are often in poor shape from over watering and lack of light. I would also tell you that not all of them are always properly IDed.
C

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9435858

Thanks for the heads up. These were all in very good shape...said they just got the shipment in... lucky me...grin I am researching care/growing requirements for each plant species/cv so I should be able to catch any errors hopefully.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

March 16, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9451742

I got one too Cheryl from the Gun Barrel City Lowe's.

Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 20, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9455864

Mine are looking poorly. I repotted but they have lost a lot of leaves. I do see new leaves forming in the center. How much water do they need during their summer growth?
Little_things
Port Elizabeth
South Africa
(Zone 10a)

March 20, 2013
10:23 AM

Post #9455886

dry in winter - summer growers - once a week, depending on soil and how quick it dries. I have a routine of 1 deep watering followed by 1 shallow watering the next week and evening (dusk) mist every or second day, to cool pots. Mist should dry within 1 hour or so. Works for me.
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 20, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9455944

Love these little guys! I was confused so looked up Fenestraria and Frithia in DG Plant Files. They call them both Baby Toes and the toes sure look the same, except the Frithia has pink flowers and the Fenestraria has white to yellow flowers. Ran has killed two of the Fenestraria in pots so far with but the third is holding it's own. Maybe I'll put it in the ground after reading the DG PF comments.

Frithia - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/137657/
Fenestraria - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/61900/

TheMoonHowl - what a great idea! My husband isn't fond of eating out and since we've been together 32 years I could get a nice haul each year. Wonder if mail order would count?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9455982

Hey Annie, go for it. My husband gets a kick out of some of the succulents...especially the lithops/mimicry plants, so he likes to "look too". Whether on-line or in store shouldn't matter...after all, a vacuum cleaner, ordered on line or bought in store, is still not the wisest anniversary gift...but succulents work well. Moon

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America