AuthorContent

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2013
8:46 PM

Post #9426209

Here's a few from the Fairchild Tropical Garden in Coral Gables. They have a tram tour throughout the garden and a new cafe which has windows on their butterfly conservatory. They raise tropical non-native butterflies in it and have an outdoor butterfly garden for the native species.
Martha
Fairchild started out as a garden to house a large collection of palms and cycads. The orchid is an example of the orchids brought into Fairchild in the past year as the Florida Orchid Society moved their state headquarters to Fairchild. The licuala palm is in the Fairchild logo and then, of course, the magnificent Ponytail Palm {remember, NOT a palm, folks, but a member of the Agavaceae} that makes me want to take my 4 foot baby down there to get "grow big" lessons.

Thumbnail by gardenmart   Thumbnail by gardenmart   Thumbnail by gardenmart   Thumbnail by gardenmart   Thumbnail by gardenmart
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

February 22, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9428023

Love that purple orchid...I'm not that familiar with the east coast of FL, but the gardens look wonderful.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9428198

Fairchild is really nifty. It began life as a repository for a millionaire's collection of palms and cycads. The gardens have expanded, serve as a home for the Florida Orchid Society, help preserve endangered palms from places like the Bahamas and Cuba and provide examples of many native Florida Plants. It's a fun place. Oh, and they have a giant stinky plant too!
Martha

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

February 23, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9428666

Always a nice addition...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Northeast Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Glad you're better Dave Anitabryk2 209 May 19, 2007 12:03 AM
Cortaderia selloana (Pampas grass) as annual zone5girl 4 Jun 16, 2007 3:41 AM
Mammoth Elephant Ear Janecline 18 May 16, 2007 2:52 PM
Hi. I would like to join your Forum - if it is OK. AYankeeCat 42 Dec 9, 2007 5:56 PM
Rosemary hardiness in CT? jjpm74 26 May 19, 2007 10:16 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America