Back from Florida Part II

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a few from the Fairchild Tropical Garden in Coral Gables. They have a tram tour throughout the garden and a new cafe which has windows on their butterfly conservatory. They raise tropical non-native butterflies in it and have an outdoor butterfly garden for the native species.
Martha
Fairchild started out as a garden to house a large collection of palms and cycads. The orchid is an example of the orchids brought into Fairchild in the past year as the Florida Orchid Society moved their state headquarters to Fairchild. The licuala palm is in the Fairchild logo and then, of course, the magnificent Ponytail Palm {remember, NOT a palm, folks, but a member of the Agavaceae} that makes me want to take my 4 foot baby down there to get "grow big" lessons.

Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart Thumbnail by gardenmart
Thomaston, CT

Love that purple orchid.....I'm not that familiar with the east coast of FL, but the gardens look wonderful.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Fairchild is really nifty. It began life as a repository for a millionaire's collection of palms and cycads. The gardens have expanded, serve as a home for the Florida Orchid Society, help preserve endangered palms from places like the Bahamas and Cuba and provide examples of many native Florida Plants. It's a fun place. Oh, and they have a giant stinky plant too!
Martha

Thomaston, CT

Always a nice addition....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.