Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daylilies: ID please

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 7, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9426859

I have this NOID in my garden collection and I have had several people tell me it is Cleo.
However the AHS says Cleo is orange with an eye. Obviously incorrect. So that only leaves Miss Jessie?
Does anyone Know what it is? I suspect it is an older varriety and I have had it myself for 7 or 8 years. It gets rather tall, has thin scapes and blooms alot, but does not rebloom. I think it is fragrant, but I can't remember right off.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 21, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9426874

My sons 'Cleo' looks 100% identical to you photo, with the nice tall scapes and faint midribs. He recieved his from Robin Calderon at Earlybird Daylilies in Kansas which is not far from your regional area where I understand quite alot of Cleo plants have been blooming for many decades especially Kansas. I believe the AHS registration to be an error as Miss Jessie is more purply lavender, more of a Early bloomer and is supposed to have stockier shorter scapes although still fairly tall at 42". my son's Cleo was 48" the first year it bloomed and second year a couples scapes tended to lean over as yours appear too. I think you agree with me that your pic is Cleo too as you have a neat Cleo font on your pic in the lower right corner :-) Cleo is Awesome! Also, Cleo does have a faint fragrance which is stronger in the evenings for some reason.

Thumbnail by themikesmom

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9426895

Cleo (Hayward, 1938)
height 48", season MLa, Evergreen, Diploid, ORL2-S-P: Orange red light polychrome with spot or eyezone.

I don't consider it to be anywhere even faintly orange by any stretch of the imagination, and there is no eye? It has color on the petals, but not really an eye? Maybe some darker shading of the same color toward the throat side of the petals, but is it enough to say it's an eye, I guess in 1938 it was a splendid eye for that time?

I'm not sure if mine in EV or not, but I do not think that is a factor to use when IDing, because I have noticed that many EV go dormant for me. Your photo looks like mine.
So how is Miss Jessie different?

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 21, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9426909

yeah i know I saw that ahs description too, check out what i typed on the Cleo PlantFiles page a few weeks back, i was wondering if that is an error as like you state, their is no orange on either of our Cleo plants and i pointed out the supposed similarities and disimilarities to Miss Jessie, too me photos of Miss Jessie appear more purply than pink like ours and again Miss Jessie is only supposed to get 42'' and be an EM bloomer not a Mid bloomer, but then again maybe its the sun intensity making it look more purple and it is the same color. im beginning to wonder how many Cleo plants are Miss Jessie's or sold as such and vice versus and if the Ahs registration as orange is correct or incorrect. no one may ever know except Hayward. Im content with the plants Robin sold to my son from Mr. Reinke as Cleo though :-)
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2013
4:57 AM

Post #9427569

Could be Miss Jessie. Cleo and Miss Jessie often get mistaken a lot. There was a discussion on here last year about these two plants constantly being misidentified. Here is what I thought was Cleo and was told it is Miss Jessie.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2013 8:36 AM
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2013
5:37 AM

Post #9427588

Miss Jessie

Thumbnail by hemlady

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 22, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9427663

heres the links for both Cleo and Miss Jessie for easy reference/ viewing with this thread :-)
'Cleo' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/10955/ 'Miss Jessie' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/17138/

2 pics of what we have as Cleo in my sons garden 2011

Thumbnail by themikesmom   Thumbnail by themikesmom         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9427858

Good comparison. Miss Jessie has more lavender tones and Cleo has more red tones.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America