Please ID

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm considering using some ground cover in my beds this year to help me control the weeds. Someone gave this to me last year, and she has just about an endless supply. She wants me to take it all. She said it's called Vinca (vine or ground cover). Now, I know Vinca, the flower, and the leaves do look alike, but I found nothing in our plant files about this little thing.

I planted two like this under an oak tree, almost all shaded. Hardly watered it at all, and look how healthy it is. The lady said it grows in shade or sun, and I did see it in both at her place.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thumbnail by sybram
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Vinca has little blue flowers and the solid type grows a bit thicker than the variegated one... It is vinca minor?major? And a form I think of honeysuckle. Let me see if I can find real Latin name...

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok, not honeysuckle. periwinkle. it is in plantfiles- vinca minor.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Well Kitt, the only thing I know as vinca is also called periwinkle, and it gets about 12 inches high. I've seen it with blue or white flowers. But this plant is very small and compact, but sends out runners, I think.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

hahaha, we were writing at the same time, it seems. Thanks for your id. I've read all about it now, and I think it might be just what I'm looking for.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I grew that one in Wichita Falls under my pecans by the porch- had to keep removing baby pecan trees i had missed. It does send out runners- every joint can root, but it behaves itself really well.

Talihina, OK

Definately Periwinkle I love it DW hates it LOL it can be quite invasive but it does so slowly so much so that you don't realize it is a problem until it claims one of your rose beds as it's very own I have had the same strain of it for 40 years ,,Moved it everywhere I ever lived ,,Shhh, DW does not know that we have it here

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Periwinkles to me were always single stemmed plants with white/pink combo flowers, have always grown those since I was 10- Then i inherited a vine one- and sweet william, I like em.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I just learned on the plant ID forum that vinca major, (rose periwinkle) has been moved to Catharanthus rosea. What sybram has I think is vinca minor.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Naturrally they would go and change the name. Thanx tho for the update.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks all. Appreciate your help.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/101011/ This the one?

Talihina, OK

Mine is blooming right even thru all the cold/ snow/ice

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, Sheila, I think that one is the Vinca Major. My two little plants still look so healthy, but they are under an oak tree in very little filtered sun. They are not blooming, but I'm just excited that they are still alive with such minimal care. I talked to the lady that gave it to me, and I'll be going over to dig some soon. hahaha, she says hers is all blooming and so pretty that she's gotten sort of attached to it, but there's still some I can have. We'll see.

Fort Worth, TX

it will grow to match the water supply, send runners to trip you, and I don't like it. what I plant in deep shade are red salvia, hardy oxalis, snowflakes, and I use either pine needles or a mulch. At the moment my blueberry plants are also under my pine tree, will see how they do there this year.

Snakes near ponds love the stuff, which is my number one reason for not liking it. I also am not fond of english ivy for similar reasons, too much cover for mother nature's snakes and rodents.

Without a sprinkler system it is well behaved, but in one year with the addition of sprinklers it took over an entire backyard in the shade of oaks. I've never actually seen it bloom, but I usually see it in shade.

Talihina, OK

Mine seems to bloom in shade or sun the spot I have it in is so shady I could never get anything to grow tho mainly because the ground is full of tree roots from the cursed Sweet Gum Trees

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

I've been wanting to find something for my yard. I have the worst luck trying to grow grass. wondering if this would thrive in sandy soil too. my only real concern is giving snakes a place to roam free (we are in the middle of the woods).

thoughts?

Talihina, OK

I really should send a pic of my periwinkle to Cajun so she could see where it is growing This is a corner of my yard that only sees the sun in winter ..But it is pouring rain so not going out there for a pic,if I can find one it will be a before pic sorry only ones I found were very old when the wishing well was in another corner

i'd love to see. anyone see any reason why that would be a bad idea for me? i really do NOT like running up on snakes, but if this grows away from my flower beds, i should be ok.

grits... i just now saw you have the same passion i have for those dadgum SWEET GUMS! grrrrrrr!! i'm so sick of those balls everywhere. hate them!! i have so many in one area, you have to be careful so you don't roll your ankle... it's like walking on marbles!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I used to deliver a newsletter on my block and one yard always left the sweetgum balls out in the grass and there was a slope I had to walk down. Yep, on my hiney a time or two until I remembered to watch for the tree and walk careful.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Gypsi, are you sure you're not talking about the vinca major instead of the minor?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Hmmm plantfiles may have a glitch. its on both of the minor major tabs

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah, the one I originally asked for ID on is minor. Austin, Maddy and I went over to the lady's house to get some more, and the place she asked us to dig was full of the stuff--"major," that is. We all knew it didn't look like what I got the first time, but I figured it was just bigger and vinier because it was in full sun, while the other had been in shade. hmmmm, I came to my senses a day or two later and realized what I had. I think I'll fix some hanging baskets with this stuff--then go back and get the kind I want to use for ground cover.

I hardly think you could be talking about vinca minor, because the two little patches I planted last August or so haven't spread at all, but they do look healthy. I gave them almost zero care. Just watered them a couple of times.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Attagirl. :)

Talihina, OK

remember what I said earlier it does not seem aggressive until you realize it has slowly krept into a bed and claimed it for it's own

Talihina, OK

this little bit has been in place 4 years

Thumbnail by grits74571 Thumbnail by grits74571 Thumbnail by grits74571 Thumbnail by grits74571
Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, Grits, but don't you think your's is the vinca "major?"

Talihina, OK

No I don't think it is unless there have been many changes made to the names of these plants because I bought it as Vinca minor many years ago...I know a lady that has some that looks just like mine only hers is a lot smaller plant

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine is on the porch. The rest under a sweetgum tree with liriope. Grateful plant.

Thumbnail by kittriana
Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Yeah, Kitt, did yours ever look the siize of my original pic?

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

According to google, the differences between major and minor are the size of the blossom and where the flower occurs on the stem. For Vinca Major the flowers are 1-2 inches across and for Minor they are half that size. Also on the Major the flowers occur at the ends of the stems and on minor they occur in the leaf axils. Foliage same, flowers same color,etc. Both can be invasive.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I took tiny cuttings. They thrive in shade, neglect and over attention. Grow to fill available space. They do grow up and out instead of traving underground thouh, so trimming reduces the walking ability.

Talihina, OK

The flowers on mine are definitely at the leaf axis and until I moved these to this spot the blooms were much smaller

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

ok, where is the bloom on this one well, guess I need a better pic

Thumbnail by kittriana
Talihina, OK

This has been very interesting for the past 3 weeks someone has brought to our garden class some periwinkle there have been a few variances in size but the foliage and the flowers colors and shape remain pretty much the same and I keep hearing the same story that it was never around these parts untill the past 3 or 4 years

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I lived in Wichita Falls in the mid 70's and had the one like yours Grits. It may be that no one looked at it. Good way to miss plants.

Love the variegated vinca!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

careful- i know where Splendora, Cleveland and the San Jacinto 'creek' are. You could wind up with some VERY easily...chenille plant does well in shade too

Thumbnail by kittriana

LOL I bet you do! just down the road a piece!
we may have to work up some sort of trade and meet somewhere ;-)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

next time i hit Tx I will try. But no trades. am plant poor honestly. you are goin too RU in Hempstead? or too far?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images