Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Daylilies: Fliechal Black Daylily

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 19, Views: 232
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 21, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9426897

Fleichal Black also known as Fleichal's Black Seedling is an unregistered truely black awesome diploid ufo daylily my son recieved a couple years back as an extra from Bob Selman at Blueridge Daylilies in Asheville, and gave too me as I love the darker color daylilies like Nosferatu, Velvet Ribbons etc. It get 36 inches + tall and 6inch blooms. It is my absolute favorite and Bob still has it available for sale. its been around since like 2004 and its a shame its not yet registered. Just think of the masterpieces it could create if crossed with a really tall 50" plus spider. Its beautiful though just as it is! in my opinion one of the best black ufo's ever created!

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 21, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9426926

a few more shots

Thumbnail by themikesmom   Thumbnail by themikesmom   Thumbnail by themikesmom   Thumbnail by themikesmom   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9426998

i like it !!!! Does it clump like most or only a few blooms on three or four fans ?

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 21, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9427067

we got one really nice huge double fan and in just 2 years they fans have quadroopled in size but it doesnt really multiply much or bush out in terms of making more clumps or fans yet, we have not dug it up to divide it yet but i would imagine the root balls have really multiplied. its incredibly healthy and high bud count, it buds and blooms for a really long time from like mid season through very late season! it has stayed green and glowing through the whole winter and I dont even think its an semi-evergreen or evergreen variety, it might be semi- evergreen, although all of the plants we have ever gotten from BlueRidge are of magical super health and size, i think it has something to do with altitude and magic of the Blue Ridge mountains and the cold winters and love Bob pours into them making them really hardy :-) Juhur7 you should get it you will love it!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9429427

Boy, it sure does look like the diploid AFRICA. I would have sworn they were the same.

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 24, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9429668

wow, your right they are basically identical in appearance and height, Africas petals seem a tiny bit wider and shorter and the throat just a fraction more orange versus fleichal more of a gold throat. another really kool black daylily ive seen is 'Jupiter Lighthouse' from Warrel 2002. not tall enough though for my tastes fleichal black is perfect for me.

Africa
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/7304/

Fleichal black
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail-asp?id=191589&n=quotFLEICHAL-BLACKquot-Seedling-DF-L45-Fleichal-DAYLILY

Jupiter Lighthouse
http://www.daylilytrader.com/id418.htm

This message was edited Feb 24, 2013 11:03 AM

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 24, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9429673

oops. for some reason you cant access blooming auction links by individual page you have to go to thebloomingauction.com and look it up or do google search for fleichal black. i tried. the other links worked :-)
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9429685

I live near Dottie Warrell, and have seen Jupiter Lighthouse. It is dark, but it has wider petals than Africa. And, much better plant/scape/bud count.

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 24, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9429717

it looks awesome, i just saw the 28'' height description and usallly like 34'' plus plants but theirs always room for exceptions , although that would probably be greedy of me since i already have a nice black one. Nosferatu which is more of a red black is only 26'' tall and im quite fond of it.

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 24, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9429726

also have SHUFFLE THE DECK from Shooter. Its pretty Dark and a nice Spider Form and 52"+. not a true black though like Fleichal, Africa, Jupiters Lighthouse.

Thumbnail by themikesmom   Thumbnail by themikesmom         

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 24, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9429846

2 more NOSFERATU

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 24, 2013
10:23 AM

Post #9429853

CHIEF FOUR FINGERS is pretty dark

Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

February 24, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9430386

Our darkest is DAKAR followed by KATHY MCCARTNEY, a spider.

Thumbnail by Casshigh   Thumbnail by Casshigh         

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 25, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9431466

BLACK PRINCE 1942 Russel

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 25, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9431479

DARK STAR 1952 CONNEL

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 25, 2013
3:19 PM

Post #9431484

STAR OVER OZ from Herrington

karen13771
Toledo, OH

February 25, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9431508

My two sons have Fleichal Black and really like it. One of them let me know this week that he had seen it offered on Blueridge site. So I immediately ordered it. Then the next day I noticed this posting. I have read it with much interest. I can't wait to get it. I also have Star Over Oz and really like that one. I was looking at Shuffle the Deck since I can't order just one plant from Bob Selman. I appreciate you starting this thread themikesmom . Karen

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 25, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9431540

Wow..thanks Karen. it makes me feel good that someone else likes it as much as we do, my son actually recieved it as an extra from Bob, Bob's extras are always usually just as good as what you order and in this case this extra my son recieved from him turned out to be even better :-) Also thanks Casshigh for adding those beautiful pics of DAKAR and KATHY MCCARTNEY, I think I like KATHY MCCaARTNEY the best as im impartial to the spiders. DAKAR reminds me of another one my son got from the Shooters called PURPLE AVENGER thats really kool. pic below

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9432432

juhur7 wrote: i like it !!!! Does it clump like most or only a few blooms on three or four fans ?

I'm not sure what your question is. Daylilies will continuously grow so that the plant is larger and larger. I think what you are referring to is the bud count. That would be the number of buds per scape. There can be more than one scape in a season on one fan. Each fan can produce scapes. So the number of blooms depends on how many fans there are, and how high of a bud count the plant is able to produce. I suppose the rate of growth and bud count for a particular variety is based not only on light/soil/water ect, but also on genetics.

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

February 26, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9432513

Yes Frillylily that is all true, but i am just happy that juhur7 and everyone has taken interest in my thread. thank-you everybody, if anyone has anymore more dark daylilies of anykind :tets, diploids, spiders, ufos, anykind you would like to share, or comments or questions please post them on here if you get time. :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America