Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Time to Transplant Tomatoes

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 10, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9427682

Here in Texas, I will be transplanting my tomatoes out into the garden today. I know the temperatures will be 44 at night, but I plan to cover them during the night. The daytime temperatures are 70 . Some will think this is a little early, but I have to start them asap because of the early 90's we get in May. What do you think Gymgirl?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 22, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9427701

A good cover for early transplanted tomatoes is a gallon milk jug. Cut the bottom off the jug, leave the cap off.
Just set it over the plant, put a little soil around to hold it in place. When the plant comes out the top, remove. It will add earliness also.
Bernie

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9428246

behillman
my tomatoes have been in the ground since February 16th.
So far so good. They are inside a hoop house and the last two nights I covered with blankets.
Good luck to you.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

February 23, 2013
8:54 PM

Post #9429467

I planted all my tomatoes out in the garden on Feb. 3 last year. Just wrapped the cages with visqueen. They did great but I think that was the exception not the rule.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2013
9:37 PM

Post #9429480

Jim, what zone are you in?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
9:41 PM

Post #9434209

Bee,
Mine were in last Saturday. Planted some for my neighbor across the street last Sunday (my seedlings). Last year, she grew fantastic tomatoes (again, my seedlings), and she never covers the tomatoes unless temps are going down into freezing temps for more than just a couple hours.

I watched a local landscaper on TV this morning. He said that they encourage the Houston growers to get their tomatoes in between mid-Jan and mid-Frbruary, or they run the risk of not getting tomatoes to mature before our heat wave sets in.

I knew I wasn't crazy -- and, neither are you!

Go for it. Just have your frost contingencies in place!

Linda
Jim41
Delhi, LA

March 1, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9435595

I think I'm in 8a. Right up in the north eash corner of the state.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9435635

Is there a sign that you're tomatoes give you when they have hardened off sufficiently and are ready to be planted out? I have had mine outside during different weather conditions but only for three or four hours and not on consecutive days. Does that matter?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9435697

hrp50,
I also didn't leave my tomatoes out all night before planting, because it was too cold.
I will suggest you keep protecting them at nigth after planting outside. I have been covering the hoop house with blankets (the moving blanket kind) every night since I transplanted out. The nights in DFW have been pretty cold, but the days are just sunny and wonderful.
My tomatoes are really looking good.
We have two more nights to worry ...
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9435749

Hrp50: My tomatoes had been outside for about a week, out on the Patio, & brought in at night. They were about 6" high, & lots of leaves, & healthy looking & strong. Thats when I decided it was time to set them out into the garden. Of course, I covered them with milk jugs. They are doing fine.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9435857

It was 26* when I took my son to school this am so that means about 24 in the areas that aren't protected. I'm surprised it's so cold this late in the year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America