Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: What kind of spider is this?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 23, 2013
12:26 AM

Post #9428582

This is a photo of a spider, golden brown in color, that I found attached to a web hanging from a tree. If I hadn't seen it with a flashlight, I would have walked into it. I was about 2 feet away when I took this photo. Any help will be appreciated!! Thank you!!

Thumbnail by Fleur_2011
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

February 23, 2013
3:49 AM

Post #9428615

Harmless orb weaver; maybe a Neoscona sp. - http://www4.samford.edu/schools/artsci/biology/zoology/invert07/pages/52.htm

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9433603

Wow, that's a scary looking hairy spider! Do you have tarantulas where you are? We think we spotted one running across the road yesterday. It might have been something else as it was moving kinda fast for a tarantula but it was black, could have been a rodent of some kind.
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2013
11:23 PM

Post #9437087

Hey there Flapdoodle! ~~ Many thanks for the identification on this spider! I appreciate it much. I clicked onto the link that you supplied and lo & behold ~ it's the same spider that I posted the picture of. Now I can go back onto my photo and put the correct name. The link shows the name of "Neoscona Crucifera" as the official name.

@ Domehomedee ~~ No, this wasn't a Tarantula, although I have seen tarantulas more up in the mountains than down in a city location. Tarantulas are much bigger than this spider is. He just looks big because I was close to him when I took the picture. When I posted it to my Facebook page, my daughter asked me why I didn't "smash" it b/4 I took the picture. She doesn't like bugs or insects of any kind!

Thanks again Flapdoodle!! :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America