Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

African Violets and Gesneriads: Fantasy

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 4, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9428838

I was reading a bit ago that the Fantasy on the flowers tends to be unstable when starting new plants from leaf cuttings - I am wondering if any of you have found that to be true.

I have some leaves I am trying to start - the mother plant isn't looking as good as I would like her to look and I am hoping not to lose the Fantasy in the cuttings.

Thoughts?

TIA
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9428848

I have found that to be true. I have also noticed that my first blooms don't show near if any fantasy but as they "mature" more fantasy shows up. I have also noticed that some blooms do show more fantasy markings and others little or none on the same plant. My Summer Carnival is a good example. Some are plain but others show random colored specks in the bloom. I am sure it has to do with the genes of the hybrid you have. Most of mine show better under cooler rather than warmer growing conditions. Not sure if this helps you or not because everyone's growing conditons are a little different.

Good luck with your Momma and future babies ::))

Connie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9428899

Connie

One can only hope - it is good to know that as the plant matures, the Fantasy is more apt to return. I am hoping to regenerate this plant as I love the Fantasy on the blooms. I don't know the name of this one - it was unmarked in the nursery where I bought it.

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9428923

Hey, names don't matter when you love the plant and blooms (grin)

Connie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9429438

Connie -that is true. The only problem is by not knowing the name, I cannot replace the plant if I lose it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America