Feeding birds safflower seed

Mount Juliet, TN(Zone 6b)

I have a question that I would appreciate any information on. I prefer mesh type feeders because they keep away aggressive junk birds like sparrows and starlings. I use safflower seed because the squirrels do not like it. But I have not been able to find a mesh type feeder that works. The seeds fall out through the larger sunflower seed size. Does anyone know of feeders specifically for the safflower seed? Any feeder that has a perch invites the sparrows and they are really aggressive about keeping other birds away, I have even seen them do this occasionally with my mesh feeders. Thank you for any help

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

HI, I just typed in safflower bird feeds and the computer brought up an info page with one posting of several types..showing only safflower use. I hope this helps..as it gets $$$ and messy feeding the entire bird community!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I bought a flat tray feeder at Lowe's that has a grid you can put in it or leave out. It kekeps the squirrels from feeding at it.
I think it was about $19. and it works well. The little guys just sit down in it and eat like crazy. Doves also use it.
Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.