Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Has anyone had success overcoming bean beetles?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
carberyfields
Lebanon, CT

February 24, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9429873

Last year (2012) my vegetable garden was hard hit by what is called around here the Mexican Bean Beetle. It seems to like squash but will eat almost anything as far as I can tell. I would like to get the upper hand before the season starts. Anyone have successful experience with this pest? Last year it was my morning ritual to go pick off any I could find and drop them in soapy water. I also remove any leaves that I found eggs on but they continued all year :-( Thanks for your help

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9431087

Start looking early in the season and kill both adult and eggs as soon as you see them. Unfortunately, if you live in an area where there are many other gardeners, you may have a constant battle on your hands. Turn over leaves and squish the bright yellow eggs, you don't need to remove the leaves.

When I lived in Tennessee, I could not keep up with the Mexican Bean beetles, but here there are few, if any, other gardeners, so last year I saw one female and her clutch of eggs. Once I dispatched them, I saw no more.

Here are some photos for those of you who are not familiar with this pest. They look very similar to lady beetles, but are copper-colored as opposed to redish.

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/veg/bean/mexican_bean_beetle.htm
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9438709

UGH! I hate those beetles and their dumb poky looking larvae! They were on everything in my garden last year, green and wax beans, squash, gourds,limas, I think I even found eggs on okra!
I don't use any chemicals, but once I recognized the eggs I squashed them and tried to keep up with scooting the larvae and adults in a soapy water cup. After about 7-10 days, it was a manageable job, and i found very few, nor did i see much damage. Now, the eggs i saw were kind of coppery and metallic rather than yellow. However it is the same pest. Hopefully this year I will be on the lookout so the initial damage can be avoided. It seemed that overnight they turned my beautiful green leaves to brown lacey skeletons.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9439519

Quoting:It seemed that overnight they turned my beautiful green leaves to brown lacey skeletons.

Yes, they'll do that. When the've devoured all the leaves, they start on the beans!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America