Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: What's for dinner? (Part 42)

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 224, Views: 1,678
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9430437

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296426/ and we're still cooking after all these months. Around here, we're almost ready to welcome spring, but winter hasn't left for good, so there's still time for hearty soups and stews, and stick-to-your rib meals. So what's cooking at your house?

Thumbnail by Terry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 24, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9430462

I had deep fried catfish for dinner and tried a new recipe for crab hushpuppies . They were lite and tender but will jack up the flavor next time .

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2013
3:50 AM

Post #9430624

I resurrected some shad from the freezer and baked it in the oven with strips of bacon. It's almost time for shad again and I still had some left over from last year because my friend got me more than I asked for. Along with the shad we had oven-fried potato wedges and sauteéd kale with garlic. It was all very good!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2013
4:26 AM

Post #9430637

Thanks for the new thread Terry. I'm off for Phila and then Connecticut to buy plants.
Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2013
4:57 AM

Post #9430655

I meant to post before now that the fried rabbit was quite good. Not very much meat because I only bought a small one, just in case I didn't like the taste. I took photos of cutting it up, and after cooking... but I've misplaced the gizmo to download them to my computer.

Tam, isn't CT a long way to go to buy plants?

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2013
5:04 AM

Post #9430662

Yes but at this time of year there are no places closer to get rock garden plants that are close to bloom. We go to one of the premier wholesalers and they let us pick out the plants that look the best. Folks also try to force things - I've got a bunch of bulbs & plants in my greenhouse but its very difficult to get time it for peak during the show week. I have no where near enough for the exhibit - not enough room even if I had the skills & conditions to do this properly.

Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9430665

Ahhh! Plants for the exhibit. I was thinking plants for home...
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

February 25, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9430741

Thanks for the new thread.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9430981

You're very welcome :-)
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9431105

Yes, thanks, Terry.

The plantains seemed unnecessary with the hearty black beans, rice and salad last night so they got saved for tonight. We will have yellow squash, zucchini, mushroom, onion and two cheese burritos. I'm going to bake the burritos after cooking the veggies and make a big salad and saute the plantains.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9431238

Mm mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm we have lamb chops for tonight. Maybe a rice medley and fresh asparagus. If there's a chop left there could be curry tomorrow.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9433463

Lat night we had jerk chicken, brown rice and cabbage/carrots/onions in chicken stock last night. I'll be using the leftover chicken to make jerk burritos tonight. SO has a meeting leaving me on my own for dinner.

I've meant to post this for a while as passed on by DD. The reference to curry powder is because I make spice batches for her whenever we get together. She swears by this recipe...

"This dish is really, really fabulous. Unique and hearty, and SUPER EASY. Great comfort food and I think you and dad would love it. DEFINITELY something to try before the cold days fade."

NIGERIAN BAKED BEANS

Ingredients:

1/4 cup canola or peanut oil
2 tblspns curry powder (Mom's curry powder ; ) )
4ish cloves garlic (I just take a hearty scoop from my pre-blended container...)
1 medium onion (or thereabouts)
1 quart beans (I've used red beans and garbanzo beans, although the original recipe calls for "white beans". I think any bean of choice would work just fine.)
1 quart tomatoes
Lots of black pepper
Salt to taste
2 tblspns peanut butter

Preheat your oven to 325 and then heat a dutch oven or similar dish on the stove-top. Add oil. Add onions and saute until wilted. Add garlic and curry powder and cook for about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and then beans. Take a bit of cooking liquid and mix it in a cup or small bowl with your peanut butter to loosen it. Add peanut butter to the beans/tomatoes, etc. Add plenty of black pepper and salt to taste. Stir well.

Place dish in oven and bake uncovered for 2 hours

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9433505

That does sound good. Tell her hello from me :-)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9433511

Last night we had gator. Well, not literally, but figuratively. And it was wonderful. (Yes, we drove to Knoxville to watch a basketball game, then drove home afterwards. There's a high price to be paid for being a hard-core fan and living 200 miles from your team.)

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9433589

My ADD DD is still here. She off to the beach today and will spend the night there and come back tomorrow afternoon. After 2 days, she has me bushed. She made chicken tortillas last night. YUMMY.

TTL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9433640

Well,
After hearing all the reports on the Mediterranean Diet and heart disease, I decided to go with it.

Dinner last night was a poached steel bass filet, and a spinach salad with blue cheese in a whole wheat pita pocket. Was hoping to add the pomegranate arils, but, they were kept a tad too long...

Breakfast this morning was an egg and spinach omelet with fresh green onions and lo-cal WW cheese in a whole wheat pita pocket...

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9433720

I just did that with arils too, these were already seeded so it was a good buy with my coupon doubled (!) and I used some but then the remainder stayed too long at the ball. Sigh. I hate it when I do that.

I'm thinking Mediterranian tonight too, have some nice fresh asparagus and a rotisserie chicken that was on sale. What it becomes is yet to be determined.

Reading a food report, says about half of the olive oil you buy isn't really olive oil. How to tell? Put some in a small vial, put it in the frig, if it solidifies, it's olive oil. If it stays fluid...it's not. Could be half and half too I suppose. I'm going to try it. The last I bought was from Trader Joe's, imported EVOO from Italy. I will be disappointed if it's not pure.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9433795

I was on a 8-hour ferry ride once, going from Turkey to the island of Greece. Got into a broken English/Greek conversation with a young couple heading home. Their family owned olive groves for years, and the discussion turned (of course) to "what's the best olive oil".

They said that the processed EVOO that we eat in American has filtered out all the taste the Greeks treasure. It is not the crystal clear, see-your-reflection-in-it olive oil that is prized there. It is the murky, cloudy, liquid gold pressed from the olives the first or second time only.

Go figure...can't even find cloudy olive oil here...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9433863

The EVOO I use always has a slightly cloudy look, and a good bite. It gets a residue built up on the bottom quickly. I just stuck some in the fridge to chill and test like Meezers suggested.

I use other cheaper (but still imported) olive oils to cook (and I'm out of them)... this one I use as a finishing oil. It's too expensive otherwise.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 4:30 PM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9433866

Linda, I have no idea what these people were telling you. First cold press oil or EVOO is the most murky. Olive oil gets more clear (and cheaper and less flavorful) after subsequent presses. Second press oil is best for cooking because more solids have been removed along with the stronger flavor. This means it has a higher heat tolerance. So the best cold pressed EVOO you can afford for salads and to top dishes and the second press that is labeled 100%pure olive oil (but not extra virgin) for general cooking.

The equipment used to press oil is called an expeller. If the temperature is controlled to keep the expeller cool while the oil is being pressed the oil is said to be cold pressed. The reason for cooling is the heat caused by friction on the expeller damages the flavor of fine olive oil. Most domestic and cheaper shelf brands of olive oil are not cold pressed even on the first press.You get what you pay for. European countries have laws regarding the quantity of olives they can use from other countries and still designate the oil from their country. Both Italy and Greece use olives from Spain. Spain has very fine olive oil, in fact my favorite, but that's not the point. There is no truth in advertising here. The same goes for many wines where grapes are shuffled from country to country and the country of denomination is only partly disclosed.

Terry, I'll pass it along.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9433926

"It is the murky, cloudy, liquid gold pressed from the olives the first or second time only...(that is prized there)"

That's what I said, yes? No?

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9433962

Yes, that's what you said. Speaking of pressing... My DGF (who passed away when I was a baby) used to make his own wine, and told my father the first pressing of grapes was for family, the second pressing for friends, and the third ...well, not too desirable, so anybody could have it.. I have no idea if this is in fact true, or just revisionist family history.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9434119

We do a first pressing and then a second. The second wine isn't aged but is drunk sooner; the first wine ends up in an oak barrel for a year or more. The second wine can be decent but it's not what you'd want to serve to guests, usually, if you took pride in your winemaking.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9434778

Linda, I misunderstood your post. But still, I don't understand why they would think Americans only use or prefer clear olive oil.

We are having grilled fillet mignon, stir fried veggies and brown rice.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9434822

Not a problem, Laurel.

I guess it might be because you only see crystal clear bottles of Olive Oil on the store shelves, unless you're shopping at a specialty store, or fine dining store?

I'd have to go there to see a cloudy bottle of Olive oil...LOL!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9434858

Come to think of it there are mostly items I ignore on the grocery shelves. We have reached an age and stage where we can eat simply, cheaply and best. The car is on autopilot when it comes to traveling around the city to acquire our staples. I rarely go in to a grocery store. Maybe every three or four months. But most of the time our bounteous supply of international and farmer's markets are enough to sustain us with quality foods. Then there is all the food we grow in our kitchen garden.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9434903

I think there are labeling requirements on olive oil and EVOO must be first-press. That doesn't mean all olives - or olive oils - are created equal when it comes to taste, but speaking personally, I've never bought olive oil that's anywhere near crystal clear. Shrug. I'm whipping up a quick bite for tonight, then packing. We're headed to Memphis tomorrow night for the weekend.I hope we don't have to drive in a snowstorm, but if we do, we will :-)

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9434930

I'm back from the Phila Flower Show - exhibit is done! Whew! Now I can focus on regular life again. I got a little convection/toaster oven so should be able to enjoy roasted veggies and such while the kitchen remodel is underway.

Here's a link to my photo album from today (in case you are curious).

https://picasaweb.google.com/117157150311464330345/2013_02_28?authkey=Gv1sRgCOywhprHh63xBw&feat=email

Tam

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9434937

What fun to see your display, Tammy. It looks great. I've never been to the Philadelphia Flower Show even though we're less than an hour away; I just don't like crowds. So it was nice to get a peek at it through your photos.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9435028

I love the tool booth!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2013
3:33 AM

Post #9435163

Booth looks great, Tam!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9435182

My dear sweet hubby built that and he is getting great feedback from members of the rock garden society & all the people who walked by it while we were setting up. I'll pass along the kind words.
Tam
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9435474

Hey Tam, he built my dream tardus! It is gorgeous. Why isn't he doing the kitchen?

I have a pot of veggie soup going and soaked garbanzos overnight to grind and make falafel. I'll make an Israeli salad and stuff pitas with the falafel, salad and top with my Greek yogurt.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9435512

Kids are coming over for dinner so I'm going to feed them some shad.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9435534

I tried Meezer's tip on chilling EVOO to see if it's been adulterated or not. (I refrigerated the samples for 48 hours.) All three say First Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive oil.

Thumbnail by darius   Thumbnail by darius         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9435557

The olive oil cold test is bogus. Really with so many different varieties how can the results be the same? http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-basics/olive-oil-fridge-test/32830

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9435563

Actually, that article only says it's not a 100% foolproof test.

However, it happens to be the best one available to me since I have yet to see a list of olive oils that have been tested for purity.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9435651

Here is more information on the topic. http://www.oliveoilsource.com/page/freezing-olive-oil I don't doubt that some oils are cut but also don't think refrigerating olive oil is an accurate test of purity. I've brought home oils from Spain and Italy where I've seen the product pressed and bottled and it does not necessarily coagulate.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9435657

Tonight we are having Blackened Salmon with a Blue Cheese Cream Sauce, a large salad, peach tea (unsweetened), and fresh blueberries with Greek yogurt for dessert.

Blackened Salmon with Blue Cheese Cream Sauce
Ingredients
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, for frying
4 (6-ounce) portions skinless and boneless salmon fillets

Blue Cheese Sauce:
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine the Italian seasoning, black pepper, paprika, salt, and cayenne. Season each piece of fish with the rub.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the butter and oil. Once the butter has melted, add the fish and cook about 2 minutes per side.

Transfer the whole pan to the oven and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes.

For the sauce:
Place the white wine into a medium saucepan and reduce by half. Add the heavy cream and allow to reduce. Add the blue cheese and whisk until smooth. Serve on top of the salmon.
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9435701

Yum yum...printing this out for a future meal. We're heading out to dinner tonight to a local Greek Restaurant.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9435702

Oh, how I miss Greek food. Nothing like that here...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9435711

And, I have a whole container of Bleu Cheese in the fridge!

Thanks for the recipe!!!

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9435717

I didn't know whether I would like the cream sause with the salmon, but the cream cools the spice, and it was outstanding. I made my own little batch of Italian seasoning, since I didn't have any premade in my spice cabinet. Very good!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9435813

Heaven... I'm in heaven... I made some sweet potato fries in a toaster oven I picked up. It worked pretty well. Plus some freezer-dive left over lentil-squash stew.

Laurel - the Tardis is a blue police box! So many people are making that mistake with the telephone booth. And why he isn't doing the kitchen? It took him 6mo to make that phone booth. He put in stone steps to the house, 1 step a year. And 11yrs to do the new porch railing. He does amazing work but is not exactly quick. :-)

Tam

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9435920

Happy tail that sounds like a dish my husband would love. Thanks for sharing.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
6:04 AM

Post #9436294

I'm back from my second group of company. This time it was my DD and DSIL. We had a great time cooking.

Tonight I have to freezer dive for supper. Have no idea what to make. Glad to see you all here and kicking.

TTL ~ ~ ~ ~

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9436323

I need to use up more of the winter squash I have stored in the pantry, so I think I'll make a squash custard for a dessert. Have to freezer-dive for supper ingredients, though.

Tam, I made your tomato soup cake (with added raisins) for my neighbor. They loved it!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9436735

Thanks for the feedback on the recipe Darius!

I just had squash lentil stew last night. Its a great meatless option if you're in the mood for vegetarian Darius.

Tam

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9436778

Oh, am I full!!! Made baby lamb chops, mashed sweet potatoes, and broccoli and of course served with mint jelly. My DH is beaming. Probably one of his favorites.

Off to see the news.

~ ~ ~ ~

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9436792

I made the mistake of being hungry and away from home... so, fast food. I've had better hospital food!
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9436804

Homemade Potato Salad, Pickled Beets, BBQ Pork Sandwiches, Oatmeal cookies for dessert.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9436824

I made salmon patties w/roasted brussel sprouts. (Sorry Darius! I actually had to have a grapefruit before heading to the grocery store. Too easy to be weak when you are hungry).

Tam

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9436862

Big pan of lasagna, my DGS is here and is what we call a "good eater".
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9437406

Happytail, the salmon dinner sounds terrific. Of course i love anything smothered in stinky cheese.

We've had a busy weekend so far. I spent yesterday setting up heat mats and seed starting paraphernalia as well as planting out plug trays. We are about to go out to lunch at a very cool in town restaurant, Takorea. http://mytakorea.com/ It's a fusion Mex/Korean eatery. We have a date to go to the High Museum after lunch to see the Frida and Diego exhibit at the High Museum of Art. http://www.high.org/programs/programs/promotion-landing/fd-3-off-promo.aspx?gclid=CNb3nI354LUCFQwFnQodA38ANQ Then we'll rush home, feed the dogs and it's off to our annual volunteer appreciation dinner for Second Helpings. I hear it's a Med. theme. Fun day with good food ahead. Definitely don't expect the worst party ever (a la Beiber). lol

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9437702

Fortunately there was chili in the freezer or we would starve tonight. LOL I have a left over hamburg which I will add to that, don't waste, and have a salad to boot. Then, satan get away from me, top the salad with Feta cheese. (Sure add those calories)

Laural, my DD named her rescued Chiwawa, (LOL) after Frieda because she was so impressed with the movie. He wasn't a bad artist either. That was a sad movie for me.

I applaud you for helping Second Helpings. That helped me so much when I was the chef at our soup kitchen.

Off and onward to start the heating...

~~~~

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9437706

I made a pot of beef stock today. Its cooling - I'll defat and make a big thick beef veggie & bean soup. That will freeze for meals when the kitchen is completely gone. Tonight I think we'll have omelets. I've got some spinach to use up and have onion, mushrooms & red peppers to go with it. I love omelets stacked high with veggies!

Laurel - you sure did pack a lot in today! I managed to do my taxes & the beef stock and not much more today. It felt good to take a day off.

Happy - Chili sounds good!

Tam

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9438866

Kids were coming over for dinner, so I put some chicken in the crockpot with artichokes, cream of portobello mushroom soup, lemon juice, porcini, garlic, rosemary, and creamy garlic sauce, plus some chicken broth. Served it with risotto and peas. Very good and very tender.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9438877

Beef Vegetable soup from a leftover roast, loaded with anything that was in the crisper, potato bin, pasta shelf, freezer, and a loaf of home made bread.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9438897

Tuscan White Bean Soup

6 ounces pancetta, 1 inch thick sliced cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound dried white beans (navy beans are my choice)
1 large onion, halved pole to pole and 1 small onion diced medium
4 medium unpeeled garlic cloves, plus 3 medium garlic cloves minced
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for serving
1 large sprig of fresh rosemary
Balsamic vinegar for serving

Cook pancetta over medium heat in a large Dutch oven until golden, 8-10 minutes. Add 12 cups of water, beans, halved onion, unpeeled garlic cloves bay leaf, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to boil over medium heat. Cover pot partially, reduce heat to low and simmer until beans are almost tender, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Remove beans from heat, let stand another 30 minutes. Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid (you should have about 5 cups, if not, add more water). Discard pancetta, onion, garlic and bay leaf. Spread beans on an even layer on a baking sheet and let cool.

While beans cool, heat oil in the now empty Dutch oven over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, 5-6 minutes. Stir in minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add cooled beans and cooking liquid, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a simmer. Submerge rosemary sprig in liquid, cover and let stand 15 minutes off heat. Discard rosemary sprig and season to taste with salt and pepper. (Here is where I put some of the beans in the blender and pulse. Add back to large pot.) Ladle soup into individual bowls, drizzle each bowl with about a teaspoon of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I usually serve a good, rustic bread with this, and may even put the bread in the bottom of the bowl before I pour in the soup.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9438908

Must have been a soup night. I finished the beef veggie & bean soup and service w/a store bought loaf of bread.
(GG - that chicken dish sounds fab!)

Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9438973

happytail, you had what I had, except I cut down on the garlic and it was STILL too garlicky.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
4:07 AM

Post #9439232

Tam, it was good and smelled fantastic cooking! I only had an 8 oz. can of artichoke hearts instead of a 12 oz. frozen package, and it would have been good with the larger amount, but this was still tasty.

Happytail, the bean soup sounds wonderful. How did you prep the beans before cooking them? And what's the point of spreading them out and cooling them before adding them back to the soup?

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9439280

No prep, that's what I like about this recipe. I spread them out to remove all the pancetta, onion and garlic, but also to free us the Dutch oven to sauté the chopped onion and garlic. I only have one pot large enough, so I have to put them somewhere, and a cookie sheet seemed to work out.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2013
5:39 AM

Post #9439293

Was under the impression that if you put salt in the beans, they will stay hard and never soften no matter how long you cook them. It happened to me.
You don't soak your beans overnight?

I'm nosy this am.

Hap

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9439311

I learned that about salt a long time ago, keeps the outer skin from allowing moisture to absorb. I think if you cook them long enough they will soften but it adds hours to the process.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9439333

Nancy, you didn't ask me, but here's my take on soaking: I always soak my legumes (plus fresh nuts to freeze, and grains) overnight, with a tablespoon or two of an acid like lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to help cut the phytates. Then I rinse them several times before adding fresh water and cooking, and only add salt after they have cooked until somewhat soft.

(Phytic acid, called phytate in its salt form, is an anti-nutrient. Phytic acid is the main phosphorus store of many plants, as well as an energy store, and it’s a source of cations and myoinositol (a cell wall precursor). Unfortunately, phytates aren’t digestible by non-ruminants (read: non-cud-chewers) because we lack the enzyme phytase to break them down. Phytates actually bind to magnesium, calcium, zinc and iron in our intestines and take them OUT of our bodies.)
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9439362

I pressure cook beans in my Fagor 8 Quart Pressure Cooker. I add salt, diced ham, beans, and water. They turn out fabulous. In fact I always make a couple of big batches and put several servings in the freezer.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9439367

But then if salt is bad, which I found out the 'hard' way, how can pancetta be put in with the raw beans?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 5, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9439457

I cook mine in a pressure cooker , have for 40 years . They are ready for the table in one hour from turning the fire on to setting the pot under cold , running water to take the pressure off . All seasoning goes in the pot to start with . Not supposed to use pepper because it interferes with the vent hole .
2 lbs pintos , a lot of smoked ham or hock , two pkgs taco seasoning (Wal mart brand only ) Big onion , chopped , Grated jalapeno ,(easier if frozen )1/2 cup of molasses , or brown sugar , packed ,salt .When it's cooked , I taste to be sure the seasoning is right , more molasses or salt .People are always surprised at the flavor and ask for the recipe . May not be healthy , but it isn't bland like a lot of beans . Plenty to freeze .

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9439483

Been cooking & eating beans half my life in New Orleans. Always added salt while we cooked them. Sometimes we soaked them overnight to speed up the cooking process, sometimes we didn't and let them simmer most of the day.

Now, I just throw the beans and seasoning in the crock pot, cover the beans with enough liquid to give me some juice, and go to bed. I medium dice what amounts to 1-1/2 to 2 handsful of onions, same amount of bell peppers, 2-3 stalks of celery, about 1 to 1-1/2 tsp. of fresh chopped garlic, 1/2 to 1 tsp. fine ground black pepper, 1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper, salt to taste. And, yes -- it's spicy -- it's supposed to be, LOL!

When I check in the morning, I remove half of the juice, which will be a little thin. Then, I use the back of a large metal spoon to SMASH some of the soft beans against the side of the crock. Not all of them -- but, enough to thicken my liquid. I actually love the juice more than the beans, so I like lots of juice in my pot...just play with how much of the beans you smash, and how much liquid you use, to get it to the consistency you like...

Serve over a bed of STEAMED white rice, with fried plantains, or, (better yet), fried BANANAS with Sauce on the side, and pass the Louisiana Hot Sauce, please...

Think I'll put on a pot tonight...

FRIED BANANAS WITH Sauce (Don't know anyone else who does this, but my Mom made it, and it was a SUPER special treat when she did).

►Select a bunch of bananas that are more yellowish green than ripe yellow. But not all green...
►Heat a cast iron skillet or heavy-bottomed pan with vegetable oil that just comes up almost to the tops of the slices
►Peel and slice the bananas on the diagonal into 1/2" slices
►Dredge the slices in some All-Purpose flour
►Fry all the slices on medium heat until they're nicely browned on both sides
►Remove slices to a paper-towel covered plate to drain

Now, pour off as much of the oil as you can from the skillet, RESERVING the flour sludge at the bottom. Use a paper towel to soak up as much of the remaining oil as you can, if you need to.

►Now, you're going to make a Roux.
Add an equal part of flour & some of the drained off oil to the sludge, and begin stirring to make a dark brown roux. Keep it moving, and don't let it burn. When your roux is the right color, carefully stir in some water until the roux thins a bit. Add a couple pats of butter, some cinnamon, some sugar, 2 drops of vanilla, and cook the Roux down until it is a nice not-too-thin sauce consistency. Adjust the sugar to your taste. It's supposed to be just a little sweet, but not sweet, sweet. The bananas will speak for themselves...

Put the bananas into a Pyrex or Corning ware dish, and strain the sauce through a fine sieve over the fried bananas. Serve immediately, with a nice plate of red beans and rice, or a plate of Spaghetti and meatballs.

Enjoy. And, don't eat all those bananas at once...

P.S. If you let the roux cool too long, it will turn into a thick glob...

Linda

This message was edited Mar 5, 2013 10:38 AM

This message was edited Mar 5, 2013 10:45 AM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9439517

We had a wonderful day at the museum and evening out on Sunday. Dinner was poached salmon dressed with something like a tapanade, tabbouleh, a green salad, baba ganoush, pita and trays of Persian accompaniments such as walnuts, mint and hunks of feta. There were assorted pastries and fruits that I ignored.

Last night we had a big salad topped with one poached chicken breast and homemade croutons. I had two very yellow plantains. One got sauteed in butter 'til browned. Rounded the meal out with zucchini fritters dipped in homemade ricotta. The ricotta was an accident after overheating milk for yogurt. It never stopped making whey until I had cheese. :)

There's is double batch of masa dough set to become tortillas tonight and a brisket and onions in homemade BBQ sauce in the crockpot. Decided to punt the beans as part of the filling and go lighter with a mix of sauteed squashes, broccoli and peppers.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 5, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9439564

I'll try those bananas , Linda .

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9439667

I was hoping someone would! Should'a known it would be you!

Hugs!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9439672

Tonight we're having something I bet you have never heard of because they are only sold around Rochester, NY.

They are:...White Hot Dogs...

They are hot dogs that are white, amazing, but not braunschwager or anything else. To me they are a delicacy and will serve them a chili sauce on rolls. Yummyyyyyyy

To go with them a must is mustard and Doritas. My mouth is watering.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9439684

White Hot Dogs...okie, dokie...

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9439697

gymgirl, Not at the stage that I need to be committed as yet. Close, but no cigar. They are real!!!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 5, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9439779

Know about white brats, but not hot dogs - sound intriging, tho.

GG - will miss dinner tonight - LOL - got a beer/food pairing event to attend.
Pruned the grapefruit tree today - harvested over #130 - took 11 bags to Second Harvest. Should have a huge crop next winter, too.
All broccoli in flower and the honey bees are quite happy - thanks for the plants - got 7 harvests before letting them go. Califlower did not do as well this winter - a couple of meals, tho. Cabbage FINALLY!! made some heads - 2 down, and one more to harvest.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9439817

Thank you so much, Bubba, for taking the fruit to the Second Harvest. I was the chef at a soup kitchen here and it would bother me to no end to drive down streets, see the beautiful oranges and grapefruit going to waste when I could have used to daily.

Thanks.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9439823

Hey, Bubba!
I've got a freezer full of broccoli, a couple cauliflowers. I have a flat of broccoli seedlings under lights, LOL. Also, got a flat of cabbage seedlings that have been outside for 3 weeks. Gonna push the envelope and try to bring them to maturity with some skillful use of hoop covers against heat and the cabbage moth!

I'll let you know how I make out, if I don't see you before then!

Hugs!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9439882

Bubba, I've been enjoying Texas pink grapefruits for months. Every time they go on sale another bag goes in the downstairs fridge. Like Happy said, thank you for sharing your food. As part of an organization I get to hear the numbers. What I learned at our dinner party on Sunday was that our little group continues to grow and now brings food to over eight hundred people a day. Every bit counts. Donations of fresh produce, fruit and vegetables, is especially coveted by food pantries.

I just faked a boozy trifle/tiramisu/tipsy cake (a mix of all those thoughts) with apricot brandy. It's for a dinner party we are attending on Friday night. Best if it sits a few days. I used pound cake instead of sponge with lots of brandy, thus the tipsy direction. The homemade pot cheese which is somewhere between mascarpone and ricotta with added cream cheese, vanilla, sugar and fresh mint made it in there; thus the tiramisu slant. Fresh apples sauteed in butter with cinnamon and big dollops of homemade strawberry jam for the trifle fruit. Did I mention vanilla custard? Shoved a quart and a half between four layers. SO offered to clean up and is spoon licking and moaning. Must be okay. After squeezing out each ingredient there is danger of overflow. Hope it sets up nice and firm. For sure it won't be in my lap on the way there.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9439969

Ooo that sounds good Laurel!

I think I'm in a bit of a rut. I made a big pot of cabbage, onion, ground beef & roasted tomato sauce. I'll freeze most of it for dinners when we have no cooking facilities but the microwave & toaster oven. Was really good. I seem to be making the same few 6-8 dishes all the time. (I bet I'll be back into cooking new stuff when the new kitchen is in. Finalizing tile selection for floor & backsplash and select granite slabs this weekend. Then its on to lighting.)

Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9439995

Simple supper of 2 lamb chops med. rare, steamed spinach, and half a baked potato.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9440017

white franks - aka weisswurst made with veal, Am I thinking in the right direction????

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
5:08 AM

Post #9440406

Yesterday was rainy and we had a smattering of snow covering the deck after dark, so I made a big pot of homemade chicken noodle soup. Tonight is most likely a lasagna night. If I get a chance, I may mix up some pizza dough and stick it in the fridge for another night this week. The kids have stopped hinting, and were down-and-out begging for homemade pizza while we were all in the kitchen last night :-) Warm weather is coming, I hear.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 6, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9440432

We got 4" of snow last night, no snowpocalypse as the news indicated we might. I made veggie shepherd's pie, it's a cold-weather comfort food. Is vegetarian shepherd's pie really gardener's pie?

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9440560

What's in the veggie shepherds pie Leslie? Just skipping hte meat & adding beans perhaps?

I think we're going to do omelets again. I can't believe how many eggs we're getting. Its somewhere around 6-8/day. No way to keep up but they are so good, we enjoy having them often!

Tam

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9440589

No Helene, the are pork and are really called White Hots. Really.

Hap

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9440607

that is so interesting. Am in awe what I learn here. One knows so much and knows so little

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9440615

They are only sold just around Rochester, so if you weren't from there you would never know. What goes good with them is a 'chocolate chill'. That's another Rochester treat. It's chocolate milk in a 8 oz container. The container is no biggie, it's the nickname it has in Rochester. AND...I bet none of the kids today know what a chocolate chill is; just us old peeps.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 6, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9440634

I admit, the veggie shepherd's pie is a "clean out the veg drawer" kind of thing. This one has onions, celery, mushrooms, carrots, lentils, green beans and a little corn, with a cheddar/chive/potato topping.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
9:01 AM

Post #9440678

I am learning SO MUCH about what to do with that "veggie drawer!"

Thanks!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 6, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9440702

Happy , I had visions of an anemic weenie . Giggle .We drank chocolate cokes in high school . It was made at the fountain , not bottled . I'm thirsty for one now , just thinking about them .
G G , I do the plantains , but never tried the roux sauce . I need to go with you and spend a week at your momma's house .
Bubba, I just finished up G G's broccoli and pulled up the plants . The bees came around and got into my new lime tree and did their thing . Have at least two limes this year .I have one cabbage left and a cauliflower the size of a golf ball . Will just leave it for my kid to harvest .I have four oranges on a new tree .
Laurel , vanilla custard ? Yum .
Tammy , I freeze my extra eggs when I can get a bunch at a big discount . My friend used to bring me eight to twelve dozen every three weeks or so . All yard eggs from her big hens . If you haven't tried freezing them , it's EASY .Break six in a bowl , stir gently , add two tablespoons water . Pour into freezer bag , lay on it's side and get all the air out . Stack flat and freeze . Good for scrambled , or for cooking .
Had vegetable soup with cornbread last night . D H decided at the last minute he wanted corn on cob too . He ate three cobs .
Tonight ? Probably sandwiches .
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 6, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9440704

You are supposed to be at work G G . LOL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9440736

Not when you're posting tips on how to FREEZE eggs!!!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9440750

Does anybody have a iMac????? I'm about ready to scream.

Took a px of the White Hot Dogs and can't get them on DG. Help.

Not so Happy, Hap

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9440755

I'm trying

This message was edited Mar 6, 2013 1:54 PM

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9440758

I deed it, I deed it! Do I get a lollipop now?

Thumbnail by Happy_1

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9440879

As a counterpoint to the white dogs, I grew up with bright red dogs. And although I have never seen the Der Viener Schlinger with my own two eyes, I hear it really does exist and is used to push said red dogs into the stands for Nebraska football games. This conversation is going nowhere good, I can tell :-)

Thumbnail by Terry   Thumbnail by Terry         

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9440897

Oh, the veggie pot pie sounds good. Maybe it's a planter's pie?

Hap, I had never heard of white hots so I looked them up. Some background and Zweigles is mentioned here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hot

Have a few pics of the tirifle. Or is it a trisu? You can see the green specks of mint in the cream.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel         

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9440902

Oh goodness, Terry, a viener schlinger?

Here is the tortilla factory in progress and the resulting dinner. I made thirty two tortillas, some of which will become baked chips. They are stacked on two plates to keep them from getting too heavy and sticking together. The remaining brisket from last night will have beans added and we will provision on stuffed baked potatoes and salad.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2013 3:26 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9440932

Yes, a Viener Schlinger. The heartland offers up much in the way of corn and wheat, but little in the way of entertainment.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9441015

lolol!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9441022

I'll check w/my DH, native to Lincoln, NE. :-)
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 7, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9441626

Went to the Houston Rodeo (grounds only - not the rodeo) on seniors Wednesday. Found and tried the deep fried Red Velvet Cake. The even put a drizzle of choc on top - pretty good. There was a vendor (Big Bubba's Bad BBQ from Paso Robles,CA) that had some outstanding k-bobs, too.
Visited several of our favorite commercial vendors, but did not add to DW's turqoise collection this year.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 7, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9441639

Here are some pix of the garden vegetable flowers w/bees in first and second pictures, and the grapefruit tree after pruning (left a few fruit for us - lol).

Thumbnail by Bubba_MoCity   Thumbnail by Bubba_MoCity   Thumbnail by Bubba_MoCity   Thumbnail by Bubba_MoCity   

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9441716

The greens look beautiful, Bubba.

I am off shortly to the botanical garden and will probably be there 'til late tonight. The vendors start arriving from all over the country with thousands of plants in tow. I help the ones who are friends set up their displays. The show opens tomorrow. A big benefit of helping with set up is first crack at the best plant before the show is officially open. I usually come home with a number of gift plants too.

We will be eating chili, cornbread and salad for dinner at the garden provided by the catering service. Tomorrow is the dinner party for vendors and board members in the home of a member. Another fun weekend ahead. We'll probably go out with vendor friends on Saturday evening.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9441724

Bubba,
Still can't believe you get all those grapefruits off that little bitty tree! How's the orange tree doing next door?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 7, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9442230

How old is your grapefruit tree , Bubba ? Mine is about 9 and had grapefruit when I got it . It had one last year and it fell off .I have a Meyer lemon that might have fruit this year . It had one three years ago but the blooms don't stick . I can't find the graft and think they are all below ground . Need to do some serious pruning , but afraid I'll cut the grafted limbs off .

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9442312

I so love grapefruit!

I had a simple grilled cheese for dinner. I have not had one since sometime in 2009. Finished the dinner with an orange and some popcorn. Not the lowest calorie/healthiest of meals but its not like its a regular thing. :-)

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 7, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9442316

I love grilled cheese. Serious comfort food for me.

So, I found a brand of vegetarian sausage that I like. What do you serve with sausages that isn't potatoes? I don't love potatoes or cooked cabbage. I was thinking maybe lima beans and something else?

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9442351

Make mashed "potatoes" out of lima beans. Mash them up, just like you would a potato, and they are great!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9442397

I too love grilled cheese. And lima beans. Didn't have either for dinner, though :-)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2013
9:24 PM

Post #9442460

I like lima beans, too!

And, now that ya'll have mentioned it, I haven't had them in a whole year!

Limas and sausage...hmmm...

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2013
2:10 AM

Post #9442547

We had spaghetti and meat balls. I make a huge batch of sauce and plenty of balls and freeze. Yummy.

Tonight is panini night.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9442642

Celene, have you tried subbing cauliflower for potatoes? (Au gratin, mashed, etc.) Personally, I like the traditional combo of sausage, sauerkraut and potatoes...but it's not for everyone :-)
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 8, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9442682

For the curious minds--- Grapefruit tree is about 5 or 6 years old - was a Christmas present from Bubba's primary owner - about 3 feet tall. It did not flower the first year in the ground, and had only a handful of fruit the following year, then last year it TOOK OFF. I think we harvested nealy 100 fruit. This year, I could tell there was going to be a huge crop - every limb had over a dozen flowers - I was hoping that all of them did not produce fruit, and my wish was granted - still probably harvested over 300 fruit.

I pruned all the downward pointing limbs and the highest limbs, too. I do not want to use a ladder to harvest.

Neighbor (2 doors away) orange trees produced a large crop again, but I was not willing to get shreded again harvesting them.

Next door neighbor has 2 different tangerine type trees - one is super producer, easy to peel, but MANY seeds and hard to eat. The second is a Brown Satsuma, and probably the sweetest I have ever had. They did not live in the house for a couple of years, but came by weekly, so I helped myself to a few - well - one of the daughters returned home, so I only got a couple of them this year.

Since I know what the tree is, I will buy and plant a couple on our son's property (actually will be the Christmas present I promised his wife). Plan to do this on Sunday - tried to do it last Sunday, but ran out of daylight before we could get back to the nursery.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9442727

I was also thinking cauliflower to go with the sausage. Though I would personally go with fried cabbage & onion w/some tomato sauce as an accompaniment.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 8, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9442730

Tomatoes and cabbage are a combo I want to like, but I just don't. I think roasted cauliflower or kale and lima beans would be good. I've never mashed lima beans, but it sounds good. Hmm...thanks for the inspiration. The only sausage dish I know well is Italian style with peppers and onions.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9442746

Next year, I volunteer to pick the oranges and get shredded, if you call me...

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9443205

Tonight we had grilled shrimp and swordfish tacos, with homemade salsa made from roasted red onions and Cubanella peppers. They were hot, but not terribly so, but my hands are burning from cutting them up. Also, slaw with avocados and an orange/cumin dressing. The recipes came from "Let the Flames Begin" by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby. All of their cookbooks are wonderful, and I've never had a bad meal out of any of them!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9443668

happytail, I was tempted by the avocados at the grocers' yesterday, but passed. I haven't had a good one in several years; they all seem to rot, not ripen, and it doesn't matter if they are Calif. or FL. avocados.

Ham steak w/pan-browned pineapple, steamed spinach, and a pan of roasted sweet potatoes and cinnamon apples for tonight. My sis has been home all week with an injured hand so I thought I'd make enough supper for two. I might even make a winter squash custard for dessert...

Supposed to be nearly 60º here today!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 9, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9443797

The grapefruit is a Ruby Red and always has blooms , fertilized and petted . No fruit .
Went to oyster buyer last night , bought a quart of raw oysters , and a pint of shrimp salad . We brought all home and pigged out . The oysters were from Copano Bay , just across the highway and had lots of salt flavor . Must have been four dozen in there , fat .I have enough left to make oyster stew tonight .

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9443808

My DH is taking his adorable wife(HEHEHE) out to dinner with friends who birthday it is. Going to a fancy-smancy place so will have to put on my Sunday-go-meetin'-clothes. Then try to get my DH to shave all his face and not just parts. UGH, he's worse than a 2 yo at times. Hoping to have enough leftovers for tomorrow.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9444187

Have fun Happy!

I made us some baked cod w/pesto from the freezer & pan roasted brussel sprouts.

Tomorrow we go into Phila to see the last day of the flower show and then tear down the exhibit after it closes. I'm thinking we'll have dinner at the Reading Terminal Market.

Tam
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9444194

Tam, I think our shows are more in sync this year. We tear down tomorrow. I have already let my DG orchid friends know how I fared with the American Orchid Society judges. I entered eight orchids and won six ribbons. Two were Best In Class, out of genus groups, so I was also awarded rosettes and glass art trophies. What do us old toots say? Woot woot!

Sliders for dinner with chipotle mayo, home slaw and a saute of the many veggies hanging out in the fridge.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9444241

And this old one says Woo Hoo! Congratulations Laurel. We got a special award for trough design but didn't get the over all ribbon. :-(

Tam
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 9, 2013
5:15 PM

Post #9444246

Oyster stew for Johnny from the leftover , fresh oysters . I had spaghetti squash with sauce and baked garlic pita chips . No room for salad . Sure was good .

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9444283

I made my merguez sausage and couscous dish for us and two other couples tonight. None of them delve into that sort of cookery and I wasn't sure they would like it, but they all really enjoyed it which was gratifying! Here it is in the serving bowl; one of our friends insisted I take a photo! True merguez sausage is stuffed into a casing, but this recipe tastes very much like the ones we had in France this fall, so it's nice to know that it's pretty authentic.

Thumbnail by greenhouse_gal

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 10, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9444538

I made my veggie sausage with lima beans and slaw-the kind with vinegar and olive oil, no mayo. I was way happier with that than potatoes! I also made that magic cake recipe that's floating all over Pinterest, the one that turns into part custard, part cake. It was okay, but needs nudging to be really good. The recipe calls for confectioner's sugar, I'm thinking that regular old granulated sugar might help the texture of the custard, it was a little pasty.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9445167

Tonight was a popcorn night. But I've warned my family there is fried chicken in their immediate future. I haven't fried chicken in eons, but I am hungry for some, so we shall have it :-)

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 11, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9445634

Just made dinner for tonight...grilled calamari with lemon and garlic, grilled asparagus, and orzo with garlic, spinach, and parmesan. And a green salad.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9445771

I'll be right there, Celene.

Tam probably knows the feel of post-show exhaustion. I've got it. Will lay low today to recoup and spend quality kitchen time. Helping to breakdown the exhibit hall and clean up after the show has left me tired and sore. Tylenol and Netflix will get me through the day. There's a pork shoulder in the fridge that needs breaking down. A portion is due to become spicy sausage since the last go-round was mild Italian. Something from that butt should become dinner.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9446019

Laurel - I am so with you! We are done (except for emptying my car)! Last night we got home around 10 or 10:30pm and left this morning a little after 8:30am. I may actually take a nap next. lol

OK - I have some leftover cod. Cooked. Ideas?

Tam
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9446043

Yankee fish cakes which starts with cooked cod or haddock.

I got the sausage made and froze all but one half pound. After browning the remaining sausage with onions and peppers, there's a tomato sauce going that was canned with a small amount of beef last year. The addition of sausage will round it out. I'll make a salad and probably use penne rigatoni (skinny penne) with the sauce.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9446085

Fish cakes it is. Did some googling and that seems to be the best use.

that sauce sounds good Laurel!
Tam
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9446134

Tam, we do these as sliders and make a chipotle mayo with homemade pickle relish thrown in. A store bought relish would work just fine. If you are not happy with your recipe I'll send you mine.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9446153

We don't typically have relish. I think I'll just jazz up my salmon patty recipe a bit w/ the chipolte mayo sans relish. Thanks for the idea!
Tam

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9446310

Grilled chicken and sausage, with peaches, red onions, red peppers, and balsamic vinegar, with black olives, all mixed up in a big bowl. Wonderful!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 11, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9446393

I use sweet pickle relish in a lot of dishes . Bought some shrimp salad a few days ago and after adding a Tbs sweet relish , was as good as I make at home .
Had a simple dinner (Snack ) of budin and garlic pita chips . Sleepy time now .

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9446447

We had homemade chicken cordon bleu, a broccoli casserole and garlicky new potatoes. And I added a heaping helping of ruby red grapefruit slices to my plate...just because I like 'em, and it weirds out my kids to see me eat them. Shrug. Tomorrow night is shaping up for enchiladas...Taco Tuesday can morph into anything-Mexican-Tuesday if the cook is so inclined.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2013
3:56 AM

Post #9446602

I'm in Greensboro, NC where I stayed overnight with DG friends since I had appts both yesterday and again today at Wake Forest Hospital. I picked up a slab of coho salmon we broiled for supper last night. Very fresh, and very tasty!

I'll stop by the Whole Foods in Winston-Salem before I leave for home this afternoon, hope to find cross-cut veal shanks for osso buco. We are forecast to have some snow at home tonight and tomorrow and that sounds good to me.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9446655

Salmon sounds good, Darius. And I hope your medical appointments went well!

We had the leftover merguez sausage and couscous with the kids last night. Maybe something simple like a pork roast and baked sweet potatoes for tonight. I may also roast some brussels sprouts that we got at Trader Joe's on Sunday; we went to Sur la Table for a cooking class and after that we stopped at TJ's, which is only a couple of blocks away. A real foodie treat all around!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9447351

Change in plans for dinner since the kids didn't come over. I made corned beef without nitrates that I bought at Trader Joe's on Sunday, with cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and some frozen turnips from the freezer. Nice meal for a rainy night.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9447383

We had omelets with kale, onion, mushroom, garlic & red pepper.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 13, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9447885

Must have been on the same wavelength, Greenhouse_gal - we did a corned beef diner, too.

Used the last cabbage and some cilantro from the garden along with a green bell and jalapeno pepper, red potatoes, onion, celery, and carrots. Wonderful.

DW suggested using veggie stock, but added bock beer and some of the jalapeno wine to cover the meat. All done in a crockpot.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 13, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9447919

Been talking to G G girl Bubba about the 7th . Touch base with her and remember we're pulling a trailer and have pets in the van .
Went for seafood for Johnny yesterday . He had fried oysters and I had cole slaw with hush puppies . (9.50 for mine ) and the slaw was tough . Cabbage should be much finer grated instead of chopped . Don't care for wine vinegar in mine either . My hush puppies are a bit better too , so will cook those dishes at home . I ate one of his oysters and mine are as good . I'm getting picky about seafood .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9447956

Darius, I buy whole shanks and SO cuts them with a hack saw. Especially around Passover, which is coming up in a few weeks, there are shanks galore in the towns with Jewish populations and the whole shanks are much more reasonable than the cut ones.

Last night was meatless with mac 'n cheese a saute of broccoli and cauliflower with sage brown butter and zucchini fritters with chipotle mayonnaise. Squash was ninety nine cents a pound last week at Publix. SO bought out the store. We'll probably have pulled pork tacos and a black bean and corn salad tonight.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 13, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9447963

Pork chops tonight . Anything else is a mystery at this point

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9447972

I'm about ready for some corned beef too. I know it's the traditional fare for the upcoming St. Paddy's Day, but those traditions don't mean much to me. I'd like to see if I can find a grass-fed brisket locally and corn my own.

I didn't get to go by WF to look for veal shanks; my appointments ran long and I wanted to be home before dark. (I don't see well enough to drive after dark unless it's absolutely necessary.) Laurel, I never thought about buying whole shanks and cutting my own. I'll have to see if I can find some within a hundred miles.

Health-wise: my red blood cell, hemoglobin, hematocrit and platelet counts are all still below normal (although a bit better than a month ago except for platelets, which have dropped). Also low are calcium, potassium, magnesium and Vitamin D. It took the lab 3 "sticks" the first day to draw blood, and 2 more yesterday for some additional blood work. I think my tiny, rolling veins are tired of being punctured so much!

The doctors don't yet have a handle on why I'm not absorbing nutrients better... I eat a well-balanced diet, far better than most people (excepting y'all who post here).

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9448001

Darius,
Please look at this simple osso buco recipe, and tell me if it's an OK one. I've never made it before, and it sure sounds delicious!

Thanks!

Linda

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/traditional-osso-buco/

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9448025

Linda, I'm sure Laurel can give you a better idea. I've only made it a couple of times, and that was years ago.

Wiki says this: There are two types of ossobuco: a modern version that has tomatoes and the original version which does not. The older version, ossobuco in bianco, is flavored with cinnamon, bay leaf and gremolata. The modern and more popular recipe includes tomatoes, carrots, celery and onions. Gremolata is optional. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossobuco

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9448029

Darius, you eat such a healthy diet that it's puzzling that your bloodwork keeps coming up with problems! I hope they can figure it out soon so you feel better. Have you tried a holistic doctor to see if he or she has any ideas?

We're going to go hear a friend talk about local archeology tonight, so we may grab dinner out first. Just came in from helping DH load some huge logs into his Ford tractor bucket so he could drop them into the Pony's trailer and bring them up to the barn for splitting. I'm tired and that's all I did!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9448061

Leslie, seeing a holistic doctor is on my list IF I can find a good one within a decent driving distance. Right now I'm relying on the lab work from Wake Forest as long as medicare pays a large portion of it.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9448081

I've read that we don't absorb nutrients as well as we getting older but that doesn't sound normal Darius. I know you are a big researcher so probably you have hunted for explanations. An obvious one is an auto-immune issue in your intestines, (crohn's disease or colitis e.g.) or a lactose intolerance but you'd know it if something like that was the issue!

I may just have lentils & rice for dinner, with roasted brussel sprouts as a side. I feel like comfort food tonight for some reason.

Tam
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 13, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9448089

That's funny , Tammy , comfort food in the south is Biscuits and sausage gravy . Lol to me .

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9448101

Biscuits w/sausage gravy doesn't sound comfortable for my stomach. lol.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9448159

Darius and Linda, I suspect the original version has Arab roots from the seasonings which continued on with the Venetian spice traders. To me it is strange that the dish has a compilation of southern ingredients but originates in northern Italy (Milan) home of everything loaded with butter, cream and cheese. I'll check my history books to see if there's information. The gremolata as a finish is imperative. Grate the lemon with a microplane, not a box grater or mince it until it's almost a paste. Make sure the liquid is reduced and somewhat thickened at the end. Linda, I'd say double the garlic add one teaspoon of dried thyme or several sprigs of fresh thyme and add one chopped celery stalk to the recipe. Replace the butter with olive oil. I like a dry Pinot for the wine component but note the dish is served with a red. San Marzano tomatoes will give best flavor. When you remove the osso buco to a plate take care that the meat and marrow stay intact. You def want to eat that marrow! If your spoon is too big use an ice tea spoon. It's traditional to serve osso buco with risotto. I think served with creamy cheese grits is even better.

Sally, you are the worsest! :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9448161

Tam, you are right... I DO a lot of food and health research, and I think this is probably related to my compromised immune system. I just have to figure out "how", and what steps to help it improve.

Just had a call from the local farm who may have veal shanks. She'll check and call me back in a bit.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9448317

Laurel,
Thanks for the tips! I think I can make this, soon as I find my hacksaw!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9448328

I don't believe I've ever had Osso Buco. It sure looks good from the recipe & discussion!

I had just enough lentils for one batch of lentils & rice and got a phone call right after starting them to boil. By the time I got off the phone, the water had boiled off and they were about to burn. 2min more & I'd be on plan B! I also had just enough onion to make them. But the onions are carmelized and everything is together for the final cooking. And the brussel sprouts are in the little toaster oven I got.

I'm so hungry!

Tam

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9448410

Tam, it's beyond good. Osso buco used to be a budget dinner around here. Now it's a special occasion dinner. Remember when flank steak was cheap and skirt steak cheaper? What happened? Years ago I got a Farberware turbo-convection oven to get us through a remodeling. It was set up on saw horses for eighteen months (don't ask). Wish I had the induction burners back then. I got by with the otherwise useless electric woks and skillets gifted at my wedding shower and stored in the attic. Funny addendum...

Miami has smaller space kitchens than elsewhere and Mom was a serious gadget collector. She had a large kitchen by Miami standards but soon ran out of space. She loved to sew and would make these creative covers for every appliance on the counters. She was otherwise a very hip lady but the upholstered kitchenware used to really get me going. I'll give her her due; they were designer fabrics. At some point I started calling the myriad of small appliance covers her "Kitchen Koozies". She got so carried away she was upholstering appliances stored in cabinets; knife koozies, BBQ skewer koozies, chafer koozies, etc.. She's been gone for some time now but the last time I went to Miami I brought home her fancy stainless electric wok with its custom upholstered cover. SO dared ask what the mysterious object was behind the upholstered curtain. I explained it was a wok. He then asked about the upholstered cover and why I would want a wok with a weird cover. I told him though we couldn't do the Mashed Potatoes with it we could do the Wokoozie! Photos available by request.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9448448

check out ...Hazan italien cook book author for her Oso bucco. sublime and I am not into comfort food. She lives on Longboat Key Fl.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9448480

Now how could I not ask to see the photos! lol Laurel - a friend gave us a little gas single burner and we've got the toaster oven & microwave. And slow cooker & a big roaster I used for the TG turkey so I could do sides in the oven. So lots of appliances to help us get by... but alas, none of them have fancy upholstery.

I'll have to add osso buco to my bucket list! Will try it in the new kitchen.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9448505

Helene, I have several of her books going back to the eighties. She's a great teacher. I managed to get the one here as a first edition.

Tam, you asked for the Wokoozie. Here goes. Note the fine applique, slotted handle and knob detail.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 14, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9448774

Marcella Hazan helped me learn to cook--my mother was a terrible cook! Her recipes are just like what I'd expect to eat from my relatives who can cook, who were born in Italy. I've always wanted to make osso bucco, but no one in my family likes it. DH probably would, he likes everything.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9448789

Terrific wokoozie Laurel! Love the cover. I can imagine a kitchen full of so lovingly covered gadgets & appliances!

Tam
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9448977

Today is Pi day! http://www.piday.org/ Get it? 3/14. I've made a quiche for dinner. It's also turnip time. We are on our way to Maypop to crank up the tiller and start the Spring garden (remind self to bring extra Tylenol and Aleve).

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9449025

wonderful collections in your house of books and gadets I am sure.

She lives here on LBkey . when she had her apt. built here she copied her kitchen in Vermont.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9449053

Good Luck tilling, Laurel. It's still far too wet to break ground in any fashion here.

Your wok koozie is cute, glad you reclaimed it at least for the memory of your mother, if nothing else.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9449104

Love the wokoozie. What's not to like? We're still pretty cold and wet here, but warmer weather is coming, says the calendar. I'm thinking pulled pork for dinner, if not tonight then tomorrow night. SEC games have begun in Nashville, so we will be in the throes of basketball tournament-time for a while.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9449202

Tonight is Prime Rib night! Our local Harris Teeter grocery store fixes a huge batch of prime rib every Thursday night, and for $9.99, you get a slab of prime rib (excellently seasoned and perfectly done), a scoop of roasted red potatoes, and a scoop of vegetables (it varies weekly) along with horseradish sauce, and we have been picking this up every Thursday night since they started, about a year ago! So no cooking on Thursdays, and very few dishes! Yea!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 14, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9449270

Steamed summer sausage and cabbage out of the garden .Sauce of horseradish , brown sugar , brown mustard . Salad and garlic croutons

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9449431

Water.
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9449435

It got up in the upper 50's here today, so worked outside much of the day, and some in my greenhouse.

Will have a simple dish of ham and beans, and for dessert angel food cake with strawberries from last years garden on top. yummy
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 14, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9449477

Lima beans or butterbeans or white northern beans ? Any and all , YUM

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9449504

Someone fasting tonight?

Scrambled eggs & baked sweet potato fries. No - not a composed dinner. Just grazing I guess.
Tam
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 14, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9449579

Gonna get skinny G G !
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9450648

Darius, the advantage to being on a south facing mountainside is lots of solar warmth and great drainage. The disadvantage is gardening on narrow and steep steps.

I'm making a version of that 80's casserole, "Mexican lasagna". There were so many tortillas left from my making them last week. Those and the failed yogurt cum ricotta = need for a creative solution. I made a crockpot full of garden and other beans today and am getting ready to pull canned tomatoes from the shelf to sauce cut up beef tips. I'll use part of the beans, meat and tomatoes to construct the casserole. There are grilled onions to add as well. The rest of the beans and meat will get added to the pulled pork stock/base and a myriad of veggies added for a soup.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9450705

I'm meeting my veal person tomorrow at the first day of the 2013 farmer's market in Abingdon, 30 miles south of me. She will have veal shanks, and hopefully some lamb brisket, although those are very small cuts.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9450753

I pulled a serving of chili from the freezer. This afternoon I made a batch of stove top chocolate pudding. I can't find my fold of recipes so this was a new one - very good. Really rich and chocolatey and not overly sweet. So pudding for dessert.

Tam
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 15, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9450789

No ones hungry tonight .

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9450827

I made a roasted dinner - pork shoulder, sweet potatoes, and brussels sprouts and beets with a fig balsamic vinegar glaze. Very simple but good. The kids were supposed to come over but DS had to work late, so I was left with all that food. I called up friends and they came over to help us eat it all, and brought a blueberry bundt cake for dessert. I'm glad I have friends who don't stand on ceremony, but can sometimes come over at 6 when I call them at 4!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2013
4:55 AM

Post #9451028

GG, I wish I had friends like that.

Had my turkey paninies for supper. Put some extra hot cheese in mine and it was just right. Tonight chili is on the menu.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9451035

We know a few couples who are like that. Sometimes when they call us at the last minute we have to say no, and vice versa, but that's the risk you take. I'm just glad that no one gets offended when I do that; we sure don't!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9451610

I hit a home run tonight. Vegetable Curry from a recent Fine Cooking issue. Added a red pepper & fresh lime juice. Definitely gonna make it more often!

Tam
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9451668

The veggie garden is going in. Been working out there all day. I threw leftover meat and beans in the crockpot, added a bunch of vegetables and am making rice. It's a one dish dinner stewp.

Leslie, don't get me started about the logistics of making plans with friends. It usually requires multiple phone calls, emails and scheduling adjustments. Dinner might become brunch or meeting at a restaurant. People are certainly busy these days.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9451708

And here it snowed. As I was sowing more peppers and my tomatoes. :-)
Tam

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9451872

Today was gorgeous...I spent a little time weeding and a lot of time spring cleaning.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 16, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9451920

I spent the day at ATT in Corpus Christi buying a new cell phone . While watering yesterday , I leaned over to pull a weed and dropped my phone in the big coffee mug I carry around . The one before it fell in the toilet . Wasn't but a week old . LOL
Ate out at Chinese Buffet in Corpus . Early dinner .
Tomorrow , grilled chicken and salad .

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9451925

LOL!!

Only because I went into the toilet behind mine when it fell in! Caught it before it hit the bottom.

I had over three years of garden photos on the microchip. Retrieved it, dried it out, saved the pics. Phone was fried.

And, no, I had NOT used it...

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2013
2:12 AM

Post #9451986

I had some chili frozen and pulled that out yesterday. Now mind you, this was the last and we had it 2 other times. Now tonight, my DH says he didn't like is and barely ate.. Don't make this again!!!! MEN!!!!

Tonight will be a crap-shoot. Don't have a clue. Going to the store, maybe I will get some inspiration there.

BBL

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 17, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9452138

Shockingly, corned beef with rumbledethump and Irish soda bread.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9452235

I made a cassoulet for tonight for friends who are coming over. My version is quite an undertaking. I got all the meats out of the freezer Friday so they'd thaw - a whole duck, three lamb shanks, some Toulouse sausage that I'd made myself without casing, and some pork bits and pieces - and then browned them yesterday morning with carrots and onions, except for the duck, which I put in the oven and roasted. Once they were browned I added tomato purée, thyme from the garden, a bay leaf, and lots of garlic, and covered it all with chicken broth. Then I simmered everything for a few hours until the meat was falling off the bones, took it off the stove to cool, took the duck out to cool, and later removed the bones and cut the meat up.

THEN I started layering the cassoulet with beans and meat, and bread crumbs with garlic powder on top of it all, and stuck it in the oven. You have to keep pushing down the bread crumb crust and adding more liquid and bread crumbs as you cook it. Once it was cooked (two or three hours) I put it out on the porch to think about its sins overnight.

After my Herculean efforts regarding the cassoulet, for dinner last night I made spaghetti with a white crab sauce, starting with a Béchamel and adding sherry, garlic,Thai fish sauce, broccoli, and finally the shelled crab. It was actually very good. We had leftover cake from our friend's offering the night before and I asked DH if he'd do the dessert dishes so I could go collapse. The kitchen had required quite a cleaning, post-cassoulet-assembly, plus there was breakfast and lunch to make, and there were still some bits to wipe down after dinner, and then there's always the eggs to clean and put away. So I appreciated the help.

Today I'm probably going to make a one-crust raspberry pie with crème fraîche topping for dessert, and that will be that. Now to tackle the Sunday NY Times!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9452259

Oh I enjoyed both your posts Celene & GG!

I have enough left over curry for several days. I may just freeze some of it too.
Tam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9452263

Much like Celene, I'm cooking the traditional corned beef but with cabbage, carrots and potatoes (rather than her rumbledethumps, although those sound easy and interesting) in the crock pot. I had to resort to a store-bought corned beef, though. sigh.

Leslie, the cassoulet sounds yummy, as does the spaghetti in the white crab sauce.

Digger, I went looking for a new cell phone yesterday too, plus a new cordless phone for the house, but didn't actually buy anything since both work okay and decisions are hard to make. I just need phones that can accept good earbuds since my hearing is going downhill fast. Having more volume on the telephone, or the TV, just means louder garble. The new shaped Apple Earpods seem to deliver good clarity for the price. I just wish they were soft plastic so they'd be more comfortable.

I don't know what to do about the sound from the TV. I have an expensive TV headphone set I bought for my mother before she died, but they feel heavy, cumbersome and restrictive to me.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9452270

Darius - we keep the closed captions on all the time. I love seeing what's being said even though I can hear quite well. My mother, who was deaf before her cochlear implant a couple years ago, still uses them on her TV.

I didn't know rumpledethump was a real thing. It sure sounds like comfort food!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9452383

I use subtitles when I'm watching a British film, because otherwise sometimes I can't figure out what they're saying!

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 17, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9452409

GG, I felt the same way about my Irish ex. I think that it took me five or six years to figure out what the heck he was saying, and that's about when I really, really stopped liking him. lol
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9452414

Gosh, all the food sounds great to me. I'm in from the garden for a leftover soup lunch. It's a little overcast outside but the temperature is perfect. Washed a load this morning. It's now fluttering on the line. Honeybees are all over the wildflowers. I've got most of the seed for the Spring garden. Some of my stash, like chard and collards, is old. If there is no germination when we come back I'll over seed.

Defrosted a lasagna for two for tonight, will make a salad and have two fennel bulbs to roast.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9452542

I'm making reservations tonight. hehe

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9452544

Sally did you ever post the recipes for crab hushpuppies? If so, I missed it.

Laurel, I'm SO anxious to start gardening... but wishing you the BEST garden this year~

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9452763

WE went for Chinese and I have enough for the next 3 weeks of dinners...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9452819

Thanks so much Darius. The weather these last days has been gardener's gift. We've had a second honeymoon in the garden (or maybe forty second honeymoon) here at Maypop. I've got everything done except beets. They can wait 'til next week. It's about to get cooler and rain. Perfecto! I can do some last minute clean up and then we are back to Atlanta for several days. The turn around schedule starts to pick up now otherwise the wildlife thinks I'm making dinner for them.

Happy, how do you end up with Chinese food leftovers? What do you eat for breakfast and lunch the next day?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9452890

Laurel, this place gives so much I don't make a dent in it. They offer soup, egg roll and/or 2 chicken wings, fried rice, main course, and sherbert for dessert with a fortune cookie. I only manage the wings and make a small dent in the main course. My DH eats the soup, and egg roll and part of his main course with low mein.

Tomorrow, as usual, we will bagels with lox, capers, onions and coffee. YUM! As for lunch, we pass because we eat a late breakfast.

Hap

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 17, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9452961

The Chinese place that we like is the same way. I can easily get four meals from one order of Singapore noodles or tofu curry.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 18, 2013
10:49 PM

Post #9454321

Darius , I'll post it again with a bit of a change . For my taste , the original recipe is a bit bland , but very lite and airy. It's late so will do tomorrow .
Gym G , I only went in to wash my hands . Bent over to pick up my pencil and plop , it went into the toilet .
Johnny went to bed at 7:00 tonight . Didn't feel good and I can understand , he painted the back of my son's mobile home and the sun got hot . He hasn't ever done that , gone to bed early , in 21 years . I checked on him later , said he just didn't feel good . At our age , need to keep on top of things .
No dinner tonight , I had a cold cut sandwich.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9454435

Digger - I hope Johnny feels better today! Funny you saying "no dinner tonight, I had a cold cut sandwich". That WAS my dinner for years and years.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 19, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9454555

Should have said "No cooking tonight "
He went fishing this morning .

This message was edited Mar 19, 2013 8:57 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9454703

So, he must be feeling better, huh? Good to hear.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9455008

MEN!!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9455046

AMEN! Or is it A MAN!

We had madras lentils, grilled eggplant and basmati rice for dinner last night. Tonight we are having grilled chicken wings and a kitchen sink salad.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9455140

We're still working on leftovers. I made a pasta with pesto left over from a dish I used it with last week.
Tam

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 19, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9455311

I am going to make zucchini parmesan tomorrow morning, with marinara, a side of pasta, and grilled asparagus.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9455646

Lucky me, I think. We going out to dinner, or should I say early breakfast with my DH's DD and new SIL. They just got married. But we aren't going to be picked up until 7PM and then have a half hour drive to the restaurant. That means 8-8:30 before we eat. Not my cup of tea. I'm livid. They know we eat early and go to bed early. They are on vacation, so they don't have to eat late because of work . I want to strangle someone!!! Maybe I can get sick between now and then. LOL Think of me when you're going to bed!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9455746

I had a couple of the "faux crab cakes" I made with zucchini last summer. I have to admit they were quite tasty, and much better than when I first made them. Now I wish I had made and frozen more of them when my zukes were plentiful. Just a little squeeze of fresh lemon and they can easily pass for crab cakes (must be the Old Bay)... although NOT real backfin crabcakes with large chunks of crab.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9455755

Ok, so how'd you make these ''faux crab cakes"?

And how do you save zukes? I'm about to try to grow my very first zucchinis this season and, hopefully, I'll get as many as I truly want (but, not so many that folks are running away when they see me...). Someone told me they don't freeze very well cause they get mushy...

Thanks!

Linda

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9455772

I've grated and then steamed the zuc's and froze them for cooked dishes. Seems to work pretty well. I found a good recipe for zuccini pizza (crust). I'm sure you can find it on line when the time comes - one of the variants comes from Moosewood.

Tam

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9455799

Thanks, Tammy!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9455820

Moosewood usually had good recipes. I grate zucchini to freeze for things like zucchini bread but I usually don't blanch it. I probably would if it was store-bought.

Zucchini Faux-Crab Cakes
http://nancyvienneau.com/blog/recipes/those-curious-zucchini-faux-crab-cakes/

2 cups coarsely grated Zucchini
Salt
1 cup Bread Crumbs (I used a baguette)
1 Egg
2 Green Onions, thinly sliced–use entire scallion
¼ cup small diced Sweet Red Bell Pepper
1 ½ teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise (or plain yogurt, which is what I used)
Juice of ½ Lemon
a pinch or 2 Red Pepper flakes

vegetable oil, for frying with a smidge of butter

Place grated zucchini in a colander; sprinkle lightly with salt, allow to stand for 30 minutes draining. Squeeze to remove additional liquid – zucchini should be fairly dry. Place zucchini, bread crumbs, with all the other ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.

Form into 8 patties the size of crab cakes.

Heat a small amount of oil and butter in a skillet, and cook patties on both sides, browning well. Drain on paper towel.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9455831

THANKS, Darius!

That sounds delicious! Can't wait to make them. I'll give a report when I do.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9455858

I'm going to try this too, Darius. Thanks.

#2 Son has the day off and is dropping by for lunch. That will mean a catch all dinner. I am canning three quarts of leftover roasted chicken thighs in broth fortified with bouillon. Never tried this before but am hoping the on the bone, roasted flavor and double strength broth will make a good chili, soup or rice ingredient.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9458362

We are having grilled salmon on top of a salad. I got some lavash and am going to use two with veggies and cheese in the middle to make something like a giant quesadilla. I've been getting the house and kitchen ready for Passover which begins Monday night. We have deferred invitations once again and will have our sedar at Maypop. Got the chicken soup made, the lamb shanks purchased, a giant fresh horseradish root and a whole case of matzo (five boxes).

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 22, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9458533

I am testing Andrew Zimmern's latke recipe. Half the potato is cooked and riced, half is raw and grated.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 22, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9458546

While my son takes out a fishing party , I'll be putting together a shrimp salad , fresh shucked raw oysters and frying up the balance of two quarts . May have to go to the oyster shack and purchase another qt . We'll pig out with a dinner salad on the side .All this tomorrow .

This message was edited Mar 22, 2013 8:59 PM

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9458900

It seems I am a lax (virtual) dinner hostess - I let these threads get way too long.

Here's the new one: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1303798/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America