AuthorContent

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2013
10:32 PM

Post #9430552

My daughter and son-in-law are taking a bee keeping class. They plan on keeping the bees on our property, which is plenty large enough for a few hives. I have volunteered to provide the flowers, being the gardener. I'd like to do a mixed flower garden but I know some flowers make better honey than others so maybe I should be thinking along the lines of planting a crop in one of our pastures. Any thoughts on plants / crops to put in for the bees?
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9437502

As a general guide, most of the pasture legumes make pretty good honey. Many are perennial, needing to be seeded just once for several years production. Will you be keeping livestock in the pasture? You will probably want to customize a blend for the animals, simply including whichever legumes are appropriate. Alfalfa makes an almost mint-like honey, many clovers and vetches are good for honey, but not all are OK for livestock. Some plants will tolerate grazing and still produce enough flowers for the bees, as long as the pasture is not over grazed; hungry animals can denude an area until there is nothing growing.
Pollen sources are important, too, even if you are not going to harvest the pollen. The bees need it as a protein source. Many plants in the daisy family are rich in pollen.

As a general rule, honeybees have small tongues, so cannot reach deep tubular flowers. Research flowers, and if it says hummingbirds or butterflies like it, then it might not be the best for honeybees.
Honeybees see blues and into the ultraviolet quite well. This does not rule out red, orange or yellow flowers, though. Many clovers have yellow flowers, and bees visit them quite willingly.

Will it be irrigated pasture? Are there erosion control problems? You might consult with a hydroseeding operation, or a seed wholesaler to get the right blend in a bulk quantity.

There is an odd little legume that grows as a weed in some pastures. Our bees made a really mild honey from it, though it was deep red in color. The plant is one of the Lotus, probably Lotus corniculatus. Grows fairly flat with yellow flowers in a cluster that stands up above the plant.

If you want to establish the pasture as a year round nectar and pollen source, then research which flowers bloom at what time, and is it moisture dependent (back to: Will you be irrigating the pasture?) Many flowers will bloom for a much longer time if they are irrigated. In our warmer zones bees can fly all year round. This can be good or bad. In the winter it is often warm enough for them to fly but not as many flowers in bloom, so they eat more honey than they bring in while searching. If your area is like that you might focus on winter blooming flowers in the pasture.
On the other hand, many areas of CA are so dry from about July through October that very few plants are in bloom then. If that is what it is like in your area, and you can irrigate the pasture, then you might best spend your money and time concentrating on late summer flowers.

Will you be mowing or harvesting the pasture for hay? This can create a dearth of nectar until the plants regrow. Are there alternate sources such as a hedgerow or ditch row where the bees can find enough to eat in between crops?

Remember that honeybees can very willingly fly a quarter mile for food, and can range up to a couple of miles. Look into your surrounding area and see what sources are already available, then customize the pasture to compliment what is already available.
Honeybees need water, but tend not to drink from sources that are too near the hives. If you can arrange a reliable water supply on the opposite side of the pasture to where you keep the hives that can stop the bees from being a nuisance to the neighbors. A stock trough with some floating wood works pretty well.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
9:40 PM

Post #9438012

That gives me a lot to think about.
We don't have livestock so that's not an issue. I have two areas that could be planted in "bee" plants, both have a spigot in range. I have one of the Nelson traveler sprinklers I can use, especially in summer. We're in the country, lots of live oak and scrub in that quarter mile radius so not a lot of help there, although there are blooming natives on the scrub side of the canyon. My daughter said she has a list of good "bee" plants so I think I'll just start looking them up so I can make a good decision on what to plant. Clover may be the best bet, although since it is strictly for the bees I might be able to do something more interesting, like 3 different color flowering plants. You drive by the pasture on your way to the house so pretty would be a plus.
Thanks for the "water" idea, I have a little stock tank pond in my backyard and on hot days there are lots of bees. I think I'll put another one in away from the house so it doesn't get too exciting, especially if I want to have a barbeque, LOL.
Thanks for all the info.
Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

August 2, 2013
7:28 PM

Post #9619833

Check this out:

This bee is disporting herself on an everblooming cultivar of southhern magnolia.

Thumbnail by Reynardine   Thumbnail by Reynardine         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9638376

i didnt think bees would go to corn tassels.. but..when my 1st planting of corn
went into pollen open on the tasssels..wow..there were 1000s of bees hitting there
:) i was pleased..they did nothing for the corn but..i was happy the bees used some of the
pollen.. 2nd planting will get there in about 2 weeks.. will be interesting to see if
bees show up then too...
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2013
10:55 PM

Post #9639708

Oh, yes, bees will indeed take some pollen from an open, easy to reach source like corn.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9687836

Oak tree in Huntsville, Tx zone 8a is covered in honeybees working hard..in October.

Thumbnail by kittriana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2013
11:35 AM

Post #9689610

Bees will collect certain plant waxes and will seal their hives with it. When the bees use it it is called Propolis. The base material is commonly produced by plants that are protecting their buds through the winter. I think it is most easily seen on Poplar trees. Ever notice how deep brown and waxy the buds can look at times? Many other plants produce it, too.
Reynardine
Lake Helen, FL

October 20, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9690252

In fact, many varieties of corn produce a honeyed smell from their tassels, and I suspect that when the bees stamp their little feet all over them, they shake loose pollen, some to blow on the wind and some to fall on the silks below.

Bidens leucanthemum, the white Spanish needle, was once shunned in Florida as a weed. Now, you can even buy seeds, because it is such a good pollen source for bees.

Thumbnail by Reynardine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Ajali
Lostwithiel
United Kingdom

December 8, 2013
3:54 AM

Post #9723703

http://themelissagarden.com/plants.html

And

http://www.helpabee.org/best-bee-plants-for-california.html

These two websites look like they ave some information.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9724185

Thanks Ajali, their is some info here.
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2014
4:41 PM

Post #9876545

I'm very interested in learning whether the honey produced form the pollen from the flowers of theTecoma stans is poisonous, or not, because my neighbor has a LOT of bees (which get their water at several of my birdbaths). I read this thread to see if anyone had said one way or another, but no one has, yet.

This is what I read:

"Honey bees are attracted to it, but-unlike most flowering plants-the *honey produced from* Yellow Trumpetbush's nectar/pollen is POISONOUS." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecoma_stans

"Yellow trumpet bush (Tecoma stans) ... is poisonous, yet bees are attracted to it. The bees are not killed by Tecoma stans, but *the honey that comes from it IS poisonous.* [Although] animals can ... eat yellow trumpet bush (Tecoma stans) and it does not harm them."
http://patwelsh.com/wpmu/blog/garden-q-a/is-cape-honeysuckle...

Does anyone know for sure whether honey made from Tecoma stans pollen is safe to eat, or is actually poisonous like I've read . . . ? It is important for anyone concerned about the quality of the honey resulting from their flowers to know for sure!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America