Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Daylilies: Seed Pods

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 18, Views: 161
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9430915

Every year I set a lot of seeds & have several dozen pods but when I go out to pick them most are gone, I can't find them on the ground but I have Rodents around that more than likely took them,(Maybe 2 legged ones). I don't know if I could put plastic bags on then so they won't fall off or if SOMEONE has a better idea on how I could keep my seeds from disapering. Does birds like them, I just want to save them. Some of these seeds sell for $40.to $50 for 5 seeds. Mostley Toothey ones..
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9431063

Do you have any deer around. Deer and I believe rabbits will eat them.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9431585

I know people who do put plastic bags around the seed pods to catch the seeds if the pod opens before harvesting it. Keeps from loosing the seeds. Dont know if it would work for rodents tho.

I just am having a witch of a time keeping the squirrels from digging around my seedlings and eating the roots. So far its a loosing battle for me. It doesnt kill the seedling, but it cant speed up bloom either.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9436057

I've heard of people using women's hose (nylons) cut into squares, then put over pod and secured with rubber band or a twist tie. Lets in air, light etc, but won't let seeds fall out. If it's birds, they might be able to peck through it, so might try a fabric store for something similar but more substantial.

Are you waiting until the pods actually split open to harvest? I have better luck watching for slight browning on the pod, then gently squeezing the pod. When there is a bit of "give" to it, and I can see a slight little gap between the "seam" of the sections of the pod, I'll harvest it. With some practice, you'll be able to feel the slightly spongy texture the pod gets when the seeds are black and ready.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9436276

I was wrong, I dont think it was plastic bags, now that you have triggered my memory, I think it was the cut up nylons they used.
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9436290

New to daylilies, but could those seeds really be worth that much, $40-$50 dollars for 5 seeds, just exposed like that? Just asking for my own information, not really questioning the previous post. I would certainly check them more often and harvest them earlier.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2013 8:05 AM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2013
6:17 AM

Post #9436309

Since I have also paid that much for seeds from time to time, I will say no, they are not worth it. What your paying for is the genetics to make a new and better plant. The seeds that go for that much are usually seeds from intros from that same year. In your/my mind, you dont want to pay 175$ for the plants, so you pay 50$ for 5 seeds. Its never worked out for me like that tho. I would for sure not buy any more expensive seeds without having a full blown greenhouse to grow them in.
Ive seen people get into bidding wars, loose their minds and let there ego take control and pay alot more than that for seeds. If it looks to me like someone is just bidding to be the highest bidder, I just wait and come back when the item is going to close and maybe try again. One thing about seeds and plants, there are always more and more and more. People act like they only have one chance at alot of this stuff. A big mistake. When I pay more than I should for seeds, its a time thing, I want them planted in August so I get bloom the next spring and dont have to wait a whole nother year till the next spring. Since seeds are not harvested till late june early july at the soonest, I will fight for some of those early seeds. Seeds get much cheaper around october when the lily auctions is flooded with them.

If you start buying and bidding on the Lily auction, make the closed auction link your best friend It shows what the plant or seed cross you are bidding on sold for in the last couple months,
Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9436359

Nylons are a very good idea, I could put the nylons a little farther down on the scapes & make sure the pods stay on the scapes. Thank you very much for the Infromation.
Jerry.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 10, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9444812

I know this is a daylily forum but wanted to show what I did with iris pods while having surgery. Will work for DL pods also.

I cut up cheap knee high nylons I had and used a twisty to secure. Never lost a pod. I get deer once in a while and that was my concern. Plastic isn't a good idea since it prevents airflow and builds up heat.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2013 11:05 AM

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2013
10:48 PM

Post #9445395

Blomma, that is the technique I was talking about earlier in this thread. I've never done it myself, but I hear it works great!
Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9447201

I am going to the dollar store & pick up some nylons & maybe I could use bread ties to to tie them.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9447237

Get knee highs, they will have the closed end to put over pod, and twist ties will work. Now that Im thinking about it tho, how do you not loose the seeds when you take the twist tie off.

Blooma...how do you get the seeds out without them going all over the ground.

Im sure there is a way to make it work, like i said before, Ive heard of others using them.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 12, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9447274

Gardenglory
Simple! Once the pod is large enough to begin to split, just cut the stem off the plant just under the pod and bring it in the house to open.

I should have mentioned in my post above that you can cut the knee highs in half and the one with both ends open just use wire twisties to close it up.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9447284

I thought about doing that, but so many times there are many pods on the stem. OOOO but there will always be the little branch stem that the pod connects to. You can just nip it there.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9447767

Roseman2, look for these ties at the dollar store. More bang for the buck! Pun intended! LOL!

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 13, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9447863

Mike, I have them and they work great, but bread ties work and are free when you buy bread.

Just a thought!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9447878

Mike, I use those for my tomatoes too.

I started thinking, its been awhile since we got bread with ties. They have the plastic squares with the little notch out of it to put the bread bag in.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 13, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9448396

You can get the twisties when you buy a box of 1 gal plastic bags, or freezer bag, the non ziplock kind.
Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9448537

You can also buy wire plant markers from the lily auction for $25.00 for 12 hundred, I use them for pollen tags & I forgot about them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America