Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: Can I Move My Rose?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 7, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9431539

hello. i have a hybrid tea rose (Touch of Class) growing in a spot that's getting crowded and hard to manage. it has been in that spot for probably 2 1/2 years now, but it isn't doing so well. is it safe to move it? if so, how can i move it safely?

thanks! :)
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

February 27, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9433989

Well, I, for one, can tell you to MOVE IT. I live in VIrginia and honestly, last Spring I kinda ripped out some one-year planted Heirloom roses without allot of fuss and they are magnificent. Sometimes, the tendency is to forget how strong their survival instinct is. I am not saying that you should be as casual as I was, only that your observations about the rose not thriving is an honest one, and it is telling you to move it.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9434189

okay, thank you. so, how careful should i be? i don't know how picky roses are with their roots. should i transplant it with the entire rootball just the way it is?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 28, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9434298

The more nearly intact you can keep the rootball the better. It will be easier to handle if you prune the top back some first. The most important thing will be to keep it well watered for the first year after transplant.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9434355

I've moved many roses. As above, try to get the entire root ball and put down a tarp or have a wagon handy to tranfer easily. Trim the canes back so the roots don't have to strugle so much to keep everything alive. Good luck!
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
2:14 PM

Post #9435693

ok, thank you all! i will hopefully get this done Saturday or Sunday - not sure what's planned yet - and then let you all know how it's doing.
Gabi65
Newcastle(NSW)
Australia
(Zone 10a)

March 13, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9448500

Seaweed tea (Seasol or other) is good to keep it healthy. I know you don't fertilize bare rooted roses when you first plant, you wait till they show green. Is it the same for a transplant?

If you lose the soil off the roots while moving, don't panic, it's Spring, you're in Florida, no worries; just make a little hill to sit the base on and spread the roots gently down the slope, as you would a bare rooted plant. Gently remove any extra long or damaged threads.

I am also about to transplant a couple of roses, Seduction and Sunlit. They have not been doing well either, I suspect the climbers behind have sucked up all the goodness and poisoned the soil and made it "rose-sick" for them. I really don't want to transplant the same unhealthy soil with them - will it matter? I have not been fertilizing regularly, so I suspect I am the cause of this problem occurring.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2013
10:49 AM

Post #9449115

No, I often hose off the soil when I transplant. Moist roots make for happy transplanted roots. I often also give the roots a bit of a haircut. Seems to stimulate them a bit.

I use seaweed extract or a variation thereof at times, too. My dogs don't notice it. They think fish emulsion is the next best thing to used kitty litter to roll in. That doesn't bode well for my plants, my rugs, or my nose. LOL! Darned dogs =).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America