Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: who in northern states USA has started gardening?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 76, Views: 673
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9431605

ya..im anxious..LOL..jealous as all &($%&*# of u all in
southern states that have got things going already..
here in utah..were still getting snow (we need it) and nite temps
are mid 20sF.. so not alot of planting out..yet..
so thought id ask when anyone in northern states has got anything
going and when..
me: ive started 4 big flats of lettuce inside..they are up now..
if we do get nice weather this weekend..im putting a cold frame together
and when nite temps are in mid 30sF i'll plant them in it..
getting all my planting supplies..potting soil,starting pots,checking lights
for my tomatoes.. i'll probably start tomato seeds late march..
i started them one yr beginning of march..and they were WAY to big
by may..LOL
so.. what are u all doing????

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9432062

I never stop vegetable gardening here in Dallas.

Right now in my raised beds outside I am growing: lettuce, swiss chard, onion, garlic, carrots and broccoli and trying to keep alive tomato transplants (these are the only ones under a protected cover).

Herbs growing around the garden for my cooking: rosemary, sage, thyme, chive, parsley and cilantro.

Growing inside under lights: cucumbers, zucchini, okra, peppers and eggplants.

How long is your vegetable growing season in Provo?

How do you select your tomatoes and pepper plants?
Do you look for a variety that will develop fruits faster?
grits74571
Talihina, OK

February 26, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9432198

Kinda Like drthor I never really stop growing but this winter has really put a crimp in my activities I planted some glads on sunday and today we are getting some freezing rain..Only thing going pretty good are the Collards Spring is coming LOL
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9432261

I'm South of Chicago. I always have herbs and now my dwarf citrus trees in the house. In the last month or so I have also started lettuces mixes, peppers, tomatoes, cauliflower, and broccoli! Everything is up, and now it is snowing and icey out! Come on Spring! I would like to fill my gardens with peas in the next month or so, so they'll be nearly done by the time I need the room for other things. I am attempting 3 seasons of gardening this year to get the most food possible out of my 2 veggie gardens! It's definately gonna be a challenge being this far North, but worth a try!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9432316

There's something going on most of the year here -- either going in, harvest, coming out or sitting dormant in the winter to be harvested fresh when needed -- but our gardening break in the South is when it's a 110F swamp outside. Nothing sets fruit and no one wants to be outside except the bugs eating your plants.

Tropicalnut777, if you don't have it already, you may like "Four Season Harvest" from Eliot Coleman. He covers all kinds of season extension methods.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9432748

thanks nicole..i have a couple of colemans books.but not that one..
i'll check it out..
good to see what u all are up to around the country..
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9432967

Since when did TX and Oklahoma become part of the northern USA? Lol
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9432990

lol..love hearing from everyone..
hope some northerners chime in... hint..hint...:)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9433024

Well, considering the crazy weather. Maybe there isn't much difference
grits74571
Talihina, OK

February 26, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9433087

Hey now it was a blizzard out in western Okie and Amarillo was shut down and it was cold here this morning with 35į and wind/rain

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9433126

Nebraska here, a little further north than those Okie's and 'Horns who have been chiming in. You wouldn't know it though, with the lack of snow we've had this year :( The weather channel's self-named winter storm Q was supposed to be our Snowpocalypse, it ended up being a Snowpiddle...

We'll start seeing the first green outdoors in March, end of April is our last frost date. Then first frost by mid October, and all exposed growing outdoors is done by December.

Right now I've got red onion, leeks and shallots from seed started, and some starts of spinach started under lights indoors. Almost time to start some flowers (snapdragons, vinca, coleus), cole crops, herbs and peppers. Beginning of April I'll start tomatoes, other flowers (zinnia marigold). End of April/early May I'll start cucumbers and melons.

As soon as the snow melts and the soil can be worked out will go the spinach. End of March, peas lettuce and radish,

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
8:52 PM

Post #9433151

Does PNW count as north? I have Sugar Lace peas in, but no sprouts yet. Indoors I have peppers & tomatoes, lettuce & cabbage & pak choi all sprouted. And some delphiniums & columbine from my seeds I saved.
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

February 26, 2013
11:42 PM

Post #9433212

Tomatoes, Peppers and Eggplant are all up in my greenhouse in trays. I have my trays on shelving, with rope lights under the trays. Then I have a portable greenhouse cover over that. I have started transplanting a few in to larger pots, but those are also under cover at night while sitting on the greenhouse beds.

I use grow lights early morning and evening to be sure they are getting enough light, and they seem to be doing pretty well. I cannot set them out until mid to late May.

When I do, they go into a homemade wall of water...5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out, and then a gallon of water with lid set down inside and the tomato plant planted in the dirt in the center. I usually set tomato plants down at least half the stem below the soil line. the water jugs will warm during the day, and give off heat at night. If it looks like it will drop below 27 degrees or so, then I will cover the 5 gallon pails with row cover. By the time the tomatoes are above the pail, I am pretty much past the risk of frost.
I live at 2200 feet, east slope of the Cascades so last frost mid-June and first mid September. However if I cover stuff, often then we will not have another frost till October. In this way, I get 100-120 growing days.

I will start onion, celery and lettuce seeds for transplanting in another 3 weeks, to set out early May. Also broccoli and cauli. Here if we plant peas the first of April, middle of April or Memorial Day Weekend, they all ripen about the 4th of July. so I plant those when I get around to it.

This year, I tried fall plantings of onions, leeks, potatoes, and garlic(always plant it in the fall), and while I don't know about the potatoes, the rest are up and looking good. We do get frozen ground for a month or more, but I mulched it well. But I am uncertain about the potatoes/
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 27, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9433354

I'll be starting some things near the end of March here in N.Y. Can't wait!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9433779

Wow, Nancy you have a short growing season. What zone are you in?
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9434047

lettuce is doing great ..its inside..but all 4 trays are covered with
little sprouts..:)
were suppose to..we'll see..get some nice weather starting tomorrow..
days low 50sF nites high 30sF.. if it happens..im putting up a cold
frame..yea !!!
i found some big 6" coco coir pots (like peat pots) ..im going to start my
cucs and summer squash in them.. i find the less transplant shock i give
cucs and summer squash ..they seem to just take when i plant them out in
the garden..
i have my heat pads,lights all check out..and mylar film for when i start my
tomatoes.. yea !!!! LOL im really sad arent i..LOL :)
great to see what u all are up to ...
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9434171

Started flowers and eggplant seeds in the last couple of weeks. Also have greens and carrots growing outside undercover.
Lettuceman
Dayton, WA

February 28, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9434599

I start gardening every year on January 1 by starting several hundred lettuce seedlings indoors under lights. At the proper time around Groundhog's Day, I begin transplanting them out to the greenhouse.
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

March 1, 2013
10:43 PM

Post #9436175

my zone was recently changed by the extension service, so I am 5 or 6, don;t actually recall. Just have a frost sensitive nose, lol

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 2, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9436445

I think I'd qualify as a 'northern' gardener, at 7,665 feet, lol. I brought in some of the soil from a bed in the greenhouse, after sifting straw, lumps, etc. out of it. I put it in the roaster and sterilized it to get some plants started inside in cups. I need to get some more of the blue cups from Family Dollar or Alco, as they're deeper than the little pots I used last year. Especially for corn, the roots will run out the bottom so fast... I am in the process of building an indoor greenhouse around two sides of the south-facing living room of my house. The room is large, and I think the lattice walls will help give it a garden ambience. There are large 9' wide windows on the east and south walls, but will only gardenize the south one, and the other wall is open to the kitchen. I plan to do some hydroponics in here, to have fresh veggies close by for cooking. The green house has been occupied by a big black kitty that enjoys sunning in there, but there's a lot of work, yet to do out there. I'll start planting tomatoes in the sterilized soil, and will rinse the roots to transplant some to the hydroponic pots. I sure want to get a head start on the corn, as I started it way too late last year. I did have good results from transplanting corn, so it CAN be done. The key is getting pots to start them in that are deep and big enough to last until mid-June planting time, here. Yeah, I'm really getting anxious for Spring!! The 14,000' peaks on the east and north sides of this valley, as well as the San Juans west and south have snow on them and may until June or so. Still quite a bit of snow in the yard, too, but the ice has almost all thawed and fallen from the roof. The avocado trees I moved into the house, and the pineapple plant (I started from one I ate from the grocery store) are going crazy! That gives me hope. :)

Thumbnail by Solace
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kathy4836
Indiana, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9436574

I have a couple types of green peppers and tomatoes started under grow lights. It's probably too early, but this is the first year using grow lights and I figured it couldn't hurt! Three kinds of green papers and four kinds of tomatoes. It's been snowing here off and on, but none to little on the ground. Ground is still frozen. I was thinking of putting black plastic on the raised beds to get them to warm up. I thought I'd read somewhere that you should do that if you want to plant earlier. We're also thinking about getting old windows and making a small greenhouse. Temperatures are going up to 60 by next weekend, supposedly, and I hope to get onions, garlic and peas planted in a couple of weeks.

Gracye
Warrenton, VA

March 2, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9436819

Kathy, I'm with ya! I started veggie and flower seeds this past Sunday, live in Northern Virginia, and hubby was out this week digging up our vegetable garden. Last frost date here is April 15th, and most seed directions say to start indoors 4 - 8 weeks before the last frost date, so we're right on time. Oh yeah, I figured it all out, and like you, this is my first year doing the fancy thing with seeds!
By the way, most are up already and VERY dark green! What a joy to see them come up, even seeing the difference between morning and evening, oh I LOVE gardening.

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9437832

Started peppers (2 bells, 2 non-bells, 1 jalapeno variety) today. Tomatoes will wait 2-3 more weeks as they grow a lot faster for me than peppers do.
Will start hardening off spinach plants this week, as soon as I see outdoor bulbs coming up they will be planted out (under plastic for at least the first week).
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9437838

I keep my grow lights on all year around. After our fall harvest, I bring in some plants to overwinter (rosemary/lemongrass/bay). I start some herbs for use during the winter (basil/thyme/cilantro). In January, I start early veggies (Ieeks/onions) and plants that have a long germination or growing period (rosemary, lisianthus, lavender). I just love having herbs year round.

Will be starting rest of the annuals/herbs/veggies in a week or two for planting out in Mid-May. Can't wait :)
Seedfork
Enterprise, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9437853

mom2goldens,
Does that mean you leave them on 24 hrs. , just wondering or if you have them on a timer. I have heard some people say 16 hrs. at most, and others say 24 hrs. works just fine.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 3, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9437855

16 hours is optimum.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9437856

I have a couple of tomato plants growing , some berry plants , some Borage , a few leaf lettuce , My leeks and Garlic grow year round in the garden outdoors .
I have a couple of annual flowers started and wrong time perennial , I hope for better weather this year . last year was a nightmare..
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9437901

Seedfork: I use timers to do 16 hours on/8 hours off. Thank goodness for timers!!!

Juhur: I'm with you on wishing for a better growing season this year. Last year, using drip irrigation saved my container plants, and overall my garden plants did OK. But, I lost a huge spruce tree to disease (I'm sure the drought helped) and a few shrubs also. I hate losing trees--especially beautiful, mature trees. All I can do now is hope everything else didn't get too compromised and will do OK this year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9437914

Prickly Pear Cactus and Gaillardia!!!! :-)

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9438268

I will be planting my tomatoes on Wed, put them on a heat mat then transfer to the greenhouse when they pop up. Peppers, too. I managed to over winter 3 peppers in the greenhouse and 3 eggplants. This was a first so we will see where that goes. I plant my tomatoes out the 2nd week of May, on or about, and will see the first fruit in Aug. sometime, depending on how warm the summer is. We do have mild summers here.
Best news of all...I will not have to worry about deer getting into the garden any more. My dear sweet husband has two more tall posts to go and then we will buy the deer fencing.
mraider3
Helena, MT

March 5, 2013
12:43 AM

Post #9439182

Well Dave we had a heat wave last week and I went fishing for the first time this year. When I got back it was in the 50's so I dug out several packets of onion seed and got busy. I use the COSTCO plastic mushroom containers to start my onion seed which will probably be transplanted in about ten weeks. Hoping to find some other seed to transplant I called my favorite local nursery and they told me it would be another four weeks before they got their seed potatoes and vegetable seed in. I guess if you want to plant any seed indoors you just have to stick with ordering your seed through the catalogs or on line. I have been having some issues with those companies which want to charge anywhere from 25% to 50% for shipping even small packets of seed. I have decided to look into trading seed here in DG next season which means a concerted effort at saving heirloom seeds this year.

I plan on getting started with my raised beds here in a couple of weeks. Preparing the beds is a good distraction from the winter doldrums. Another activity is outdoor vermicomposting and gathering composting materials. Gardening for me isn't just about seed planting even thought I can hardly wait to get that started. Growing healthy fertilizer is as much about gardening as planting seeds.

I did my 15 second scan of the latest DG newsletter and found an article which caught my attention by a Mr. Rodman on upcoming FDA legislation regarding pathogens and composting of animal manures for gardening. I am waiting to see if there is any feedback on this article.I checked several different forums thinking someone might comment on what Mr. Rodman had to say, but apparently the veggie people don't bother to check the newsletter.

fordpickup
Clinton, IN

March 5, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9439876

Does building a hydroponic system count as working in the garden? Fred
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9439877

What seeds might you be looking for?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9440022

mraider, where does one find the DG newsletter? I haven't been able to locate it-
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9440031

I read the article but I didn't see anything about FDA legislation. I did see a couple gardening myths that have been passed along but can't be proven in the lab.

Jo it comes in the newsletter you get every Monday. Or on the homepage on the right side, at least on my computer it does not sure if everybody's is the same. Mr. Rodman has done a series of these articles, they are very interesting and good food for thought but I didn't see anything about legislation.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9440073

I forget where I read about the FSMA, and where I posted a comment.
"Food Safety and Modernization Act"

FSMA
http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/FSMA/ucm334552.htm

I thought it was cute that the authors of the bill thought that "modernizing food" would sound like a plus.

Viewed one way, the proposed rules for using manure on food crops was a reasonable response to all the food poisoning from lettuce cases a few years ago (except I would guess they were caused b y farm workers plotzing in the fields, and restaurant workers not washing their hands). How bad is it if the FDA suggests you compost the manure before spreading it on lettuce and shipping lat5er that day?

But they also wanted tests don e to prove the coliform count was lows enough in your compost heap before you spread it. Then I imagined a market grower (or myself) trying to prove to an inspector that the way we've grown for years or centuries is responsible. Probably after the legislation, it will require filled-out forms with weekly tests from certified laboratories - something no small-scale organic grower is going to be able to afford or evade.

Large agri-business, yes, I'm sure they can afford or evade such rules.

Gee, who benefits?
Who has lobbyists?
Who goes out of business?
Monsanto or small-scale organic growers who market locally?

If I were in the Tea Party, I would start ranting about UN inspectors sequestering my compost heap, but I'm not quite that far along yet. No, I rant against big business using the government to put small businesses out of business.

I'm not at all sure if FSMA is really motivated by that, or just typical modern paranoia that wants to believe we'll alol live fore4ver if we just pass enough laws to makes us "safe".

When i asked my Senator to vote against it, she was all in favor of food being "safe" and "modern".

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 5, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9440083

fordpickup wrote:
Does building a hydroponic system count as working in the garden? Fred

I sure hope so, lol.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9440093

morgan..fishing..jealous as ever man..
lettuce is doing good..
cold frame is up..i'll check the temp in there this next week
and see how temps are early in morning..if they are in 40sF i'll
start lettuce out there too.. mmm fresh salad greens..yea !!!
other day i just walked around homedepot.. checkin out what i could
use for various pots,garden stuff..
i have all my seeds for this season..
also going to try cover crop of buckwheat
i grew vetch one yr..it was ok..
i bought some online..only to check at local feed store..they
carry it..and alot cheaper..LOL i never learn..:)
kicked a few peat bales..at homedepot..they were froze solid..LOL
i think i will get a few..and bring inside so they can thaw..for my potting
mix..
was high 40sF today..suppose to hit 50ish F tomorrow.. would be nice !!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9440101

here's these little indoor plants , not much ,but only?
Still have a couple of tomato plants barely under a foot tall in the other room (sunlight matters and no room)
These are some Borage,Tomato, Huckleberry, etc //. I am wondering what new vegetable etc is myself so there is no need to ask ,only browse on.. lol

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mraider3
Helena, MT

March 6, 2013
1:34 AM

Post #9440306

Jo, that's interesting. I thought all DG members received the weekly newsletter on their personal net address. I seldom find anything of interest and only spend a few seconds scanning this newsletter, but the most recent one had an article by a Mr. Rodman on upcoming FDA regulations concerning pathogens in composted manures. There is some discussion now going on in the Soil and Composting forum as well as a link to the article. I check on this link and post it here.
mraider3
Helena, MT

March 6, 2013
1:35 AM

Post #9440307

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4098/

This message was edited Mar 6, 2013 2:36 AM
mraider3
Helena, MT

March 6, 2013
1:44 AM

Post #9440309

Ya Dave, my first fish for 2013 was the largest trout I have ever caught. A brown which I returned. However the next day I brought home two very nice rainbow trout which will in part become part of my Montana Jack pumpkin patch this year. I find it interesting how well some winter squash and pumpkins grow in our short cool season here. I can't grow a decent melon or acorn squash no mater what I try, but my pumpkins have always done well. You can practically see them grow.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9440571

Thanks for the link, mraider.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9440788

Found on a window at my rcvr this morn an couldn't resist. Am in Spokane and will be heading down to Kennewick tonite. Weather is not too bad! Looks like he is saying ' did i hear digging in the garden help needed?' I think right now the weather predictions are worse than the weather actually is...

Thumbnail by kittriana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9441069

How cute, Kittriana! What a ham!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9441354

That was is a good article I thought mraider was referring to the one that came out on March 4th but this one is from Feb 27th. You can also find the articles listed under one of the categories at the top of the page.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9441449

juhur7, those plants look wonderful to me!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2013
9:28 PM

Post #9441474

Solace I agree with you about the smiling bear dog from kittriana , I laughed when I saw that , the weather is another story

My plants keep me relaxed and hoping
From this morning outside

#1 My snow capped blooming stump plant
#2 my four stemmed ice table plant
In the foreground are the button ice stick &stem plants I was thinking those might go well with your winter blooming circle leaved watering can stemmed plant... Will it ever end (winter)

Thank you for noticing the seedlings and commenting...

This message was edited Mar 7, 2013 1:30 AM

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2013
9:43 PM

Post #9441477

LOL. Did you ever think of being a stand up comedian, juhur? Oh the visualization on those!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2013
2:12 AM

Post #9441514

They look to be performing splendidly juhur! Cold weather stuff I am not too fond of, but those are good.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2013
3:25 AM

Post #9441535

ROFL:-) Thank you,, you just have to keep them cool and give them plenty of water and they really show
They are as hardy as hickory and as durable as aluminium if you do !!!

Solace no , only my efforts at cheer and your imagination ,could sure make one!!lol :-)
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9447412

ahhh.. its starting to feel like spring here..utah.. yea !!
checked cold frame.. early morning temps are hitting mid 40sF
so..i planted early lettuce/mesclun...
i got all my dry fertilizers..
actually mowed the lawns the other day..
boy did i get looks from neighbours..LOL
they stare at me anyways.. lol :)
finally spring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9451234

I started my first seedlings today...broccoli and cauliflower.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9452936

indy..most excellent...
i think i'll be starting my tomato seeds next week..
ya never know if its going to be a late spring/early summer
or what..
we gardeners are gamblers..:) not such a bad kind of
gambling i guess... :)
my lettuce is going great..
its outside now..
and started some early mix lettuce in cold frame..checked today..
and its up..
yea !!!

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 17, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9452957

Sounds great tropicalnut and indy. I started my first ones in solo cups last weekend and most of them are up, now. Corn, several types of tomatoes, lettuce, romano and kentucky wonder beans, peas... I only have one four-foot flourescent grow lamp, and it's getting mighty crowded on that dresser thingy. It's just a dresser in one of the studios holding old equipment (in my tv days, we called that the 'morgue') and had nothing to hang the light from. I put two cement blocks standing on end on top of the dresser ends, and put the light (which is mounted on a 2x4) with the ends of the board running through the top hole to bring the light close to the plants. I can raise it to the top of the brick when the plants get taller. They all seem to be loving their new lit kingdom. The temp in there is about 87, but they're all thriving.

Edit: Oh, and I draped a space blanket over the top, so the plants on the perimeter not under the light could also get some light from the reflection. I have to raise it on one side during the day, though, due to the warmth.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2013 8:43 PM
ice_worm
Palmer, AK
(Zone 2a)

March 18, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9453548

I started some celery (just a little because I don't really need celery), trailing lobelia, and coleus on March 14th. A few of the coleus have already sprouted. It's still 2+ months before I can garden outdoors (or in the greenhouse, for that matter), but at least I have a few things growing to tide me over. Oh--I also started my tuberous begonias. They are in the garage under grow lights. I am also scrounging the neighborhood to gather fruit and vegetable scraps to make bokashi. And I have two worm bins and an electric composter going in the garage. I am SO ready for Spring!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9453735

Ice- I bet you are ready for spring. You live in such a beautiful state. Where is Palmer?
ice_worm
Palmer, AK
(Zone 2a)

March 18, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9453869

Hi Lisa...Palmer is about 35 miles North of Anchorage. I'm in a little micro-zone...a little bit colder than my immediate neighbors. In fact, my roof is the only one in the neighborhood that still has snow on it. I just came in from the greenhouse. It is 40 degrees in there--but the bags of soil are still frozen solid.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9454012

My tomato seeds are up and waving at me. I planted pepper seeds today. They should actually go with or before tomatoes, but they are a new to me seed and I just got them. Also planted a new to me romaine lettuce. Tomorrow I will add spinach to the line-up. Isn't spring always wonderful? So full of youth, energy and a brand new start. Love it. All of these in the greenhouse, of course.
lusciousleaves
West of Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9459259

Count me in! I winter sowed 22 containers of cool season veggies last week. Then temps plummeted. Tomorrow, we get snow. I thought March was supposed to go out like a lamb?
fordpickup
Clinton, IN

March 23, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9459503

4 to 9 inches of white stuff by mon. afternoon or so they say . What a wonderful first week of spring. Have to shovel snow to plant the garden. Fred

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9459525

Hi ya Fred Yeah but the onions and garlic are reaonably happy ,,, Now if I could only turn myself into an onion or garlic plant )
Incredible isn't it?
fordpickup
Clinton, IN

March 23, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9459533

It was a beautiful day today, 52 degrees very light wind. Worked out most of the afternoon. Realy out of shape, too many afternoon naps I guess. Fred
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9459631

Jeez..it's warmer in Alaska...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9459926

I hear rumors the state of Ohio is going after Punxatawny Phil with malice aforethought...wet snow in this storm named Virgil...
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9460258

1lisac, Yes, when it is warm in Alaska, you can about count on it being cold down this way. I would call it the rule of ' there is so much heat to go around' and when elsewhere has it, you may not have it.
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9460352

it was pretty nice yesterday. I got all my peas in, just ahead of the snow lol. This weather is really putting a damper on my plan to try 3 season gardening this year. A venture that I am well aware would be difficult to pull off in my zone anyway. I'm sticking to the plan anyway, even though I am already starting a couple of weeks to late... ugh!
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9460395

Started another flat of seeds today (up to 9 flats now). At least planting seeds gives me hope that spring is not TOO far away. As long as we get decent temps by the time I need to start potting all of these seedlings up!!! Starting to sleet right now, and it looks like the snow is not too far behind. 6-9" predicted--is that REALLY necessary????!!!!
kathy4836
Indiana, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9460712

I live about 30 miles away from Punxsutawney Phil's hideout! People around here are ready to head up there with torches and pitchforks! We're expecting 6-8" tomorrow. Blech! I was hoping to get some onions, garlic and sugar peas in by this weekend, but everything is still frozen around here!

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9464257

I'm sorry you are getting such horrid weather in the Midwest and East. It's hard to work up too much sympathy, though, 'cause we here in the west had that last March Big Time!! Everyone gets their turn in the box, I guess . Hang in... April is on it's way.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9464445

it is SPRING !! lol
mid to upper 60sF here..wow.. the birds are singing,bees are
buzzin,ok ok..enough..LOL
i dont know if i got tired of winter this yr..or what..but i am so glad its
feeling like spring !!!
actually mowed the lawn the other day..yea..my neighbours think
im nuts..:)
checked the sprinklers, lettuce is up..and yep..i planted my
tomato seeds yesterday..
to soon to start anything else i want to plant..but..hey.. winter feels
like its moving on..
im sure we'll get snow again..but the ground is warm..so it'll melt
fast..
YEA !!!!!!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9464925

There was a photo this morning showing cutting grass lat year at this time and the snow the same day this year , 7 to 17 degrees below normal here this year , Makes it difficult . When to do what ,,,???

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9465361

patience...juhur, AFTER mid April for you on tender stuff unless you get those walls of water things. May be a good year to go into buckets as wet as you are shaping up to be...
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9465413

I started tomatoes and peppers today. My broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and a few lettuce seedlings are growing nicely. I take them outdoors every day that I can.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9465460

I am on a borrowed computer tonight , mine is gone .. Yes but I planted a few lettuces , some daylily roots , and a daffodill bulb that had been in the fridge a while , 48 TODAY and sunny . tomorrow nicer if it is maybe a little grafting practice .. OH yes and leave us not forget , I dug a hole also , by golly here !! the critters aren't the only diggers around here!!
Who's impatient??? lol
20 SOME TOMATO PLANTS, huckleberry plants , over two dozen flower plants , three cherry trees , blackberry in germination ... nobody around here ,is that impatient that I know of ... OH YES ,AND SOME HERB PLANTS ALSO !!!LOL

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9465875

Second consecutive 60 plus degree day in a row, had another one earlier this month then the temps plummeted. But supposed to stay that high now for the next couple of days.
Inside, got tomatoes started but not up yet. Peppers, cabbage, and broccoli are ready to transplant into individual pots. Already did that to the kohlrabi. Outside, got spinach and lettuce starts under plastic tunnel, and onion, leek, and shallot seed starts hardening off.
Also need to transplant flowers (snapdragons, coleus, vinca). Salvia already done. And start zinnia and marigold seeds.
Crocuses blooming where there was snow 3 days ago. Narcissus buds and anemone shoots coming up.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9465971

BTW, for people who watch the weather closely, here is a collection of some links.

The simpler sites are easier to follow, but the Weather Underground has LOTS of data.

hard copy:

Links related to weather: Forecasts, History archives, and Climate Zones

http://www.weather.com/outdoors/agriculture/growing-degree-days/98204:4
Degree Day Calculator by Zip Code

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Everett, Washington
Weather Underground!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/fitness/monthly/98204?month=0
The Weather Channel 30-Day Weather

http://www.weather.com/activities/homeandgarden/garden/index.html
The Weather Channel Garden Tips

Climate Zones:

http://www.sunset.com/garden/climate-zones/climate-zones-intro-us-map-00400000036421/
Sunset Climate Zones

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/InteractiveMap.aspx
USDA Hardiness Zones (average winter lows)

Koppen Climate Classification System

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Köppen_climate_classification
Koppen Climate System in Wikipedia

http://people.eng.unimelb.edu.au/mpeel/koppen.html
Koppen Climate System

http://www.hydrol-earth-syst-sci.net/11/1633/2007/hess-11-1633-2007-supplement.zip
Download Maps

[HYPERLINK@]
Many Koppen Maps

http://koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at/data/KoeppenGeiger.UScounty.txt
Koppen Zones by County

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America