-
AuthorContent
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9431613

Please join us for a cornucopia of tropical plants and gardens!

We came from here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292473/

Monstera deliciosa 'Marmarata'
This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 8:08 PM

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 8:10 PM

Thumbnail by homer1958
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9431833

Thanks for starting a fresh thread, Drew. The old one had gone really stale!

I have not much new around here except for some new orchids opening - have not yet summoned the energy to dismember my Colo. Blue Hawaii. Think I'll leave it on "hold" until after this next cold front goes away.

Phaius tankervillae aka Nun's orchids, a cute little Oncidium and one that's called "Lava Burst". Even though the flowers are small they are intensely colored red with yellow markings inside, just like, well . . . lava! Last ones are, guess what?? Petunias. From the sublime to the ridiculous?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
3:44 AM

Post #9431966

Ridiculous is good... Why do today, what you can put off till tomorrow is what I say.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 26, 2013
4:39 AM

Post #9431985

Hello everyone,
We are getting hammered with rain...since Friday we have gotten over 5 inches...the roads are so bad the school buses were getting stuck yesterday, so we have a 'rain day'. They cancelled school for today and I'm sure tomorrow too, because it is still raining! Our pond has come up about 2 ft. All the rain out of my yard runs down into it and its really filling up.

How about you Drew...is it coming up that far?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 26, 2013
4:45 AM

Post #9431990

Here's the pond...

and outside my bedroom window (that I haven't landscaped yet)

I've had to pump out the pool twice already because it was close to overflowing.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9432098

It's ok, Paula. Once it stops raining it's gonna freeze, so you'll go from Waterworld to Iceworld . . . our sympathies. Hope the new greenhouse is up? What's the pretty little tree with pink buds down there next to the lake?

I am dragging out all the frost covers again, too. Suffering a broken rib right now, so it's going to be a literal pain to cover everything this weekend. It's looking very stormy and threatening out my window right now, too.

My latest scores from Costco - huge Cymbidiums for $22! At the shows these sell for over $40. The bigger one has 3 spikes just starting to open.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9432111

We were away for a few days and came home to 3" in the rain gauge from Saturday's storm. This morning there is 5" of fresh rain in the gauge and 8" in 4 days is more than my soggy soil can handle, everything is flooded here. It is 70 already but as soon as this rain passes the temp will drop rapidly. Sadly, it will fry the azaleas and camellias and any fruit blossoms but maybe it will take out some bugs too.

Has anyone heard from Debra? Her area is really getting hit with snow and wind.

My Medinilla bud is getting bigger and pinker, I can't wait to see the flowers.

We crossed posted, Ouch on the rib Elaine. Feel better soon.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 9:52 AM
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 26, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9432119

Very Nice Elaine!!

I feel your pain Alice. Everything is blooming here too! But so far the lowest it is supposed to be is 33, so unless that changes maybe things will be ok. Surprisingly, the sun just came out, but they are saying more rain this afternoon when the cold front comes through. Yuck!!

Alice, Debra (joeswife) has been posting on another forum. She's good, but her sister is having a rough time.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9432276

We've had an inch and a half.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 26, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9432540

Over 6 in. here, But thank the Lord the sun is out!! Beautiful day, but very soggy with puddles everywhere!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9432639

Sun finally came out here too and then the wind started so the puddles are drying quickly. Sunday and Monday nights still look mean temperature wise but the forecast keeps improving so maybe they won't be so bad.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 26, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9432905

Aww Alice, its supposed to be 29...25..27 over the weekend here. I'm so upset! Going tomorrow to Lowes to find some frost cloths.
I have over 200 little babies in the GH and 150 more on the way. I have GONE CRAZY!! Can't help myself, but when you can get 150 pentas for $12.00...can't beat it! I normally pay $2.98 for pentas in a 4 in. pot.

Soooo...if you would like some red pentas, torenia, zinnias, lamium, red halo vinca...I got them...LOL!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
3:08 AM

Post #9433272

You got a DEAL girl! Can't wait to see the pictures of that mass of color you will have this summer.

The wind has died down so I will be putting the frost cloth out again this morning.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 27, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9434010

Hoyas are really starting to put on a show.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 27, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9434013

a few more

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066      

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 27, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9434015

Here are my new babies...I have most of them potted up.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 2, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9436978

Where is everyone???

I had a great day today...went to a plant show on Amelia Island, FL. Got some great plants...I'll post pictures tomorrow, but the biggest find was at Lowes. I went in to check their clearance and the only thing I decided to buy was a macho fern for $4.99. I went to the front to check out and the lady said"that'll be 81 cents" Excuse Me???
Yes...81 cents for a 3 gallon macho fern. She said that all plants in the clearance was 75 cents. Whoa! better go check that out again!! So on the second trip I got several more things, two of which were bonsai plants, regular $55 for 75 cents. I was shocked! So I went on to the plant show and sale, then on the way back decided to make one more loop through Lowes. I left again with a bunch of plants...some of which was a 3 gal. jatropha, 3 gal. crossandra, 3 fancy containers of the round spike sanseveria, angelonia, lantana, snapdragons, 2 orchids, cosmos, and several others. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Very fun day!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
7:53 PM

Post #9437003

Paula, your plant habit is totally out of control! Way to go, though. Rocking bargains.

Now get busy and find a crew to help you plant all that stuff out.

I have the pinwheel jasmine smelling up the whole yard, and nun's orchids in full bloom. But HooBoy! is it ever cold and windy tonight!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
3:35 AM

Post #9437119

39 here this morning but since it was originally forecast to be 20 I am not complaining. The wind is bad though and it does feel like it is a lot colder. Taking the dog out to get the newspaper was like going to Siberia.

Paula, I am blown away by your bargains, I love Macho fern. Be sure to give that one lots of room so it can spread, once it get established it will make a huge, 20' clump.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2013
4:01 AM

Post #9437123

Alice, it's 39 here, too. It's supposed to be 54 tomorrow night, then it's downhill from there for the next 4 days, then back up into the 50's at night - yikes - do I dare uncover my plants?!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9437522

I am not going to tempt fate. I am sure our temps stayed up because I did go out and cover up, if I hadn't surely everything would be toast. LOL

I have a 30' length of white frost cloth covering a begonia bed. There is a Yaupon holly that shades that bed and the frost cloth goes under and around it. The yaupon was full of berries (well fermented) and the Cedar Waxwings are here this week feasting on those berries and getting drunk then doing what birds do after they eat. You would not believe the mess they have made of the frost cloth. I will not be able to save it, it is too disgusting and I'll barely be able to fold it up to get it to the dump. Yuck.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9437535

Oh, Alice - hose it off or leave it out in the rain - don't toss it!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2013
2:56 PM

Post #9437735

I'm with Paula. You wouldn't want to waste all that wonderful "bird fertilizer" would you? Rinse it off onto the begonias!

We are supposed to have our coldest night tonight. I've been tempting fate, and have not covered anything the last two nights except the orchids. But if the wind dies down and the sky clears up, it will be a lot colder tonight. I will be out there at 10pm in my ski clothes putting up frost cloth and filling hot water jugs! Let's hope it's the last time.

Nice red Cymbidium called Kenny Wine coming into bloom. They don't mind the cold, which is nice

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9437784

Do you all get cedar waxwings down there? They come in flocks of hundreds and get drunk on the fermented holly berries, They fly into trees or windows or whatever is in their way. They make a terrible mess of cars and walks. The neatest part is that they completely strip one tree at a time, then they move on to a neighboring tree. Probably by mid week they will be gone onto wherever they go next.

The poky medinilla bud is driving me crazy.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia         

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9437787

Beautiful birds Alice!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9437841

At least your Medinilla has buds - mine doesn't have anything remotely like a bud!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 3, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9437867

Alice, why is the leaf so dark on the medinilla? Is it the lighting?

I am SOOOO excited, I finallly won the bid on a RED medinilla on ebay. This is the third time I've tried and I won it...it also has a bud on it, so I can;t wait for it to get here. Better be in good condition!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
4:25 AM

Post #9438080

It must be the lighting Paula and it is hanging down over a begonia leaf, that may be what you are seeing. Great luck on the red medinilla, I have never seen one. My bud is unusually pale but I suspect that is because it is indoors and does not get the bright light it needs. It is the darn 3M film on the windows.

37 here this morning, whew, we dodged another bullet.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 4, 2013
4:47 AM

Post #9438090

Hey Alice,
It is freezing here!! We have ice! I was not prepared for this..the last I saw was low of 35. These weather people just can't get it right anymore. So now I'm going to have some major damage on some things. I don't think all my amaryllis are going to bloom this year. They were all just starting to come up and now this! Had I known it would be this cold, I would have covered them. Arrgh!

I have never seen the red medinilla in person either, but the pictures are gorgeous! I hope I won't be disappointed! And I hope I don't kill it!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 4, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9438589

Here are just a few my of new babies I found this weekend:

varigated crinun

-

This message was edited Mar 4, 2013 3:45 PM

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 4, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9438594

oops clicked wrong button
1 - sting ray
2 - my 75 cents bonsai
3 - medinilla magnifica
4 - pink justicia
5 - 3 new begonias

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 4, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9438599

and a few bromeliads

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9438745

They all look good!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 4, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9438916

Hey Kay,
How cold did it get your way? Its supposed to be cold here again tonight, then warm up a little.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2013
4:52 AM

Post #9439252

It was in the upper thirties Monday morning - in the 60's this morning. No damage - had all the tender stuff covered with blankets.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2013
8:51 PM

Post #9440232

I didn't cover anything tonight, and all the 'chids stayed outside, too. Yay! Back to schlepping and covering tomorrow, though, maybe.

Hey, anybody know where I could get several cheap plastic watering cans that are small enough for kindergarten kids to handle? I am helping out at the local elementary school garden, and the big 2gal. ones are too big for the little kids to handle, even when we only fill them up about 1/3 full. I've seen tiny toy ones that barely hold a cupful of water, and I've seen some that are ghastly expensive. Who the heck pays $42 for a watering can??

What we need is one (actually 5 or 6) that costs under $8, holds about a half a gallon, and has a "rose" on the spout so the kids don't drown the transplants. Meantime I'm saving milk jugs, and drilling holes in the lids . . . guess that will work for a while.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 6, 2013
3:31 AM

Post #9440334

Elaine,
Our Lowes or Walmart has watering cans that hold about a quart..doesn't have the sprinkle spout but a small spout about 1/2 in. wide. You may want to check there, I think they were around $2.00
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
3:44 AM

Post #9440338

Haws, which IMO makes quality products, has a 2 pint one that is about $15.00. They have others also, I didn't check them all. The US distributors are a family owned business in GA and just maybe if you contacted them and asked for a school and or MG discount they might help you out. http://www.hawswateringcans.com/indoorplastic.asp

Paula, are you familiar with this company? I don't know if they have a retail outlet but I would love to go there if they did. I do know occasionally they have specials. A few years ago I bought a couple of their larger cans in a DG co op and he gave the organizer a deal for a group buy. I also remember hearing the gentleman that owned the place was a true Southern gentleman and was a pleasure to deal with.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 6, 2013
3:50 AM

Post #9440344

No Alice, haven't ever heard of them. I'll check them out.

Elaine, they are similiar to this one..
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-1.5-Liter-Watering-Can-Khaki/20563594?tv2=true&

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9440567

Thanks, you two!

Paula, we do need one with the spout rose, because little kids watering a seedling or transplant without one just drown the plants, then they cry! Arg. We need something easy to handle that sprinkles instead of pouring.

Alice, I will contact Haws, but theirs are pretty pricey and we only have a little bit of grant money left.

In the meantime, my creative genius DH has made one out of a milk jug that just might work. Drilled some small holes in the lid, and a big hole for a vent halfway down so we can't fill it too full.

Sorry all, done with hijacking the thread now!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9441077

We have more cold and wind tonight, and I am covering, and bringing orchids into the house. arg.

Oh well, the cool weather will make the amaryllis blooms last a bit longer, I guess.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9441103

My amaryllis in pots are up under the barn overhang, they are all budded up. The one's on the ground are not even thinking of budding...on well, can't win them all.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 6, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9441341

A repeat in the right thread. :S

Just for laughs I'll join this thread. Some have been overwintered and some are on order. After one of the worst/longest winters I can remember I plan on seeing lots of colour in my yard (if the snow out there ever melts).

So in the arctic tundra of Saskatchewan I will be planting:

Nerium Oleander Rose double pink
Monstera deliciosa
Bananier Musa 'Bordelon'
Brugmansia Super Pink
Brugmansia Super spot
Canna 'Pink Sunburst'
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Snow Queen'
Monstera Deliciosa 'variegata'
Colocasia Black Stem
Colocasia esculenta 'Jack's Giant'
Brugmansia SnowBank
Brugmansia Salmon perfektion
Blue Butterfly (Clerodendron ugangdese
Dwarf Plumeria
Iochroma Australis
Iochroma Australis Alba
Iochroma Grandiflora
Brugmansia Angels Exotic
Brugmansia Miss Emily Mackenzie
Brugmansia Dola
Brugmansia Day Dreams

Water lilies:
N. James Brydon’ (Dreer) -
N.Pygmy Helvola’ (Marliac) -
N.‘Perry’s Double White’ (Slocum) -
N.‘Mayla’ (Strawn) - Pink N.
'Fire Opal' (Slocum) - Pink
N. 'Wow' (Slocum) - Pink

Now I just have to hunt down a couple more plants, passifloras and Black Mondo grass for sure, and my plant shopping is done

Where my tropical plants are heading to (in another 2 months :'( )

Thumbnail by Lilypon

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2013
3:45 AM

Post #9441544

Where are you buying all these wonderful plants?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 7, 2013
3:48 AM

Post #9441547

LOL, that was going to be my question? and if they were grown from seed? Very nice list. I would be glad to send you some if you didn't live across the border. Looks very cold at your house. What is your average low?

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 7, 2013
5:46 AM

Post #9441637

Hi Kay I like buying from here http://brugmansia-quebec.com/Catalogue/Catalogue Iochroma_ang.html because they are set up to accept Visa. A lot of plant suppliers (of exotics) aren't re online paying so that owner gets a lot of my business. I can get a lot of plants locally now but they tend to just sell larger plants here, which cost around $60.00 and up, so his site is a deal.

GAgirl1066 I've not yet tried growing Brugmansias from seed. Canadians can have seeds mailed to them...Gardenweb, years ago, seemed to put out the word that it was illegal but it is plants that we can't have shipped to us from out of country (unless they have a phyto certificate). Here is a chart of our climate: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/statistics/CASK0210 and one of Regina (45 minutes away) that has Fahrenheit listed. http://www.regina.climatemps.com/

Now they don't have the -40's F listed but we certainly have hit those temps. We can also hit -60's F in windchill. This winter being Enso Neutral means we've been sharing our cold with you folks so that has kept us much warmer than normal (we've had a little more 5 feet of snow fall, so far this winter, but more than half has melted away due to a couple of welcomed mid-winter warmups). When it is a La Nina winter we normally have the cold bottled up here and those winters I truly dread.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9441645

Fantastic! Can't wait to see your garden this summer - especially the water garden. Bet some years you get a pretty short growing season for tropicals. D'you have a greenhouse to get all those guys going?

Both my parents were born in SK, Mum in Regina and Dad near Saskatoon. Bitter winters up there! They migrated to BC where I was born.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 7, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9441674

Hey Elaine,

Look what I found...do you have a Dollar Tree near you? I think these would be perfect for little kids. If you don't have one near you, I could send them to you. Of course...they were a $1.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 7, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9441677

They probably hold about 4-5 cups
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9441827

I had to Google Moose Jaw, the name conjures up visions of wilderness but your photo belies that for sure. It sounds like a very interesting community. Someday I hope to tour the Pacific Northwest and maybe go as far east as Sask.

I was pruning back a Mutabilis Rose that was about to swallow the house and when I got it all cleaned out I found a blooming Alpinia zerumbet. It was at least 10' up in a wax myrtle tree. Who would have though a ginger would bloom this time of year.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 7, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9441867

Here's one link if you are interested in Moose Jaw (it may be the one you looked at) http://www.templegardens.sk.ca/local_attractions.html

Images: http://www.google.ca/search?q=Moose Jaw&hl=en&sa=N&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=M9A4UfnZKsHJygGwr4HQBQ&ved=0CEMQsAQ4Cg&biw=1195&bih=706#imgrc=2QQ4-7sh_GSnuM:;3mSL33KqdwNREM;http%3A%2F%2Fsaskbeers.com%2FMoose%2520Jaw.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fsaskbeers.com%2F%3Fday%3D7;800;531
Moose Jaw is located in the North end of the North American Great Plains.

If it is forested wilderness you were thinking re the Boreal Forest that is about an 11 hour drive North of here. Saskatchewanians favourite playground is at the start of the Boreal forest: [HYPERLINK@www.google.ca] Out on our nearby plains however we do have a lot more wildlife than we used to and some forested areas ie Cypress Hills [HYPERLINK@www.google.ca] Deer, antelope, moose, elk, cougar, bears and even wolves have been sighted not too far away. Our farm had a moose that had triplets last year (rare anywhere but especially surprising on the wide open plains ... I'm sure she loved our lentil/pea crop). Farms here are a lot larger now so fewer people out in the country and less hunting is happening so the wildlife is making a comeback. The herbivores are suffering this year however due to a compressed deep hard snowpack. The carnivores however I'm sure are doing just fine.

I do have a greenhouse that will help to give the plants a head start. The elephant ears and banana plants certainly won't reach anywhere near their full potential here, however I did try to pick ones that will give a nice show via their large leaves and colouring. The brugs, from cuttings, won't have that many flushes but those they do have will be treasured.

The waterlilies I've overwintered a number of years. Some were purchased locally and others I had ordered online.

Waterlilies and tropicals are transported down to our basement, for a 8 month long stay, come the time for hard freeze.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2013 12:20 PM

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9441869

Great, Paula! Thanks. We do have Dollar Tree here, and quite close by. Guess since my only grandchild is only 4months old, I haven't perfected my search pattern for kid stuff yet, but I need a few of those little cuties!

Amazing alpinia, Alice! It must like the protection of the tree or something. My gingers are not even thinking about blooming yet. If you do get to visit Saskatchewan, you will find a whole new meaning to the term "wide open spaces".

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

March 7, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9441876

and Hi to a fellow Canadian! :D

Yep wide open spaces is indeed an accurate description of the Southern half of this province. The Northern 1/2 however is a whole different world.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2013
10:06 PM

Post #9443480

well here you all are! Sheese.. I been talking to myself on my basement winter garden thread cuz I thought you all were out in your balmy warm yards gardening LOL .. gee wish I could get my hoyas to bloom.. sorry no new tropicals here, just lots of duplicates and babys, hate to post pics of the basement garden twice on DG...

Thumbnail by joeswife

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2013
4:25 AM

Post #9443529

Who's your friend?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9443711

We don't mind duplicates, Deb. Post away! No flower picture is ever the same twice!

I've been shamelessly showing off my bargain Cymbidiums from Costco on the Orchids forum, so here they are.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9443725

Elaine, you have a great camera, those shots are beautiful. so are the blooms.
Drew, the above turtles name is Gamera, I have her in the basement garden in their own pool area now.

Thumbnail by joeswife

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9444021

LoL, Deb I do have a great camera but I never use it. Those were all taken with my phone. It's always handy . . . what can I say. But Thanks!

I took fresh cuttings of Monster for you yesterday. By the time winter ends (in the next month or two??) they will be nicely rooted. Are there any other brugs you would like?

Not much in bloom here, thanks to two late cold snaps. But I do have orchids - Onc. Ester Oka 'Lake View'

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9444066

Well, it rained an inch and 3 qtrs and I am very happy. I just walked around my awakening yard and I am so happy so much is peeking up at me.
Elaine you can send me Monster White any time you want..
KayJones I got your letter, thanks! I will call you tommorrow and hope we can chat awhile.

Still looking at our main water source drying out unless we ge either 6ft more of snow or a whole lot of rain here in Kansas. Cheney Resavoir has always been the citys water source. I keep harping on the opinon line to enlist the city in a gray water program. Oh well.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9444113

Deb, I will be home from church around 11:15 - look forward to hearing your voice!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9450555

Life works in mysterious ways!
It's one year next month...I get to keep my huge raise, and have been offered a job in Houston, will be moving back next month. What was the black hole last year is the silver lining this. Can't wait to dig in my garden once again!!
Rj
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9450580

Oh WOW, what wonderful news. Happy days are here again...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9450616

They are! A ruffle of the feathers to make one think
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9450638

Randy, this is GREAT news for ALL of us - GOD DOES take care of us!!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9450782

Yay! Your garden and fern tree will be so glad to have you back home.

Thumbnail by joeswife

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9452048

Good for you Randy! Grow them well.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9452208

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your beautiful plants, Randy.

Beautiful dahlia, Deb. Surely that's not blooming in the basement?

Here's a little rescue Phal from the death rack at Lowe's, blooming away.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 17, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9452234

rj glad to hear you will be back in your garden just in time for spring.

the begonias are flowering and the queens wreath is looking good.

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9452643

Cassie and RJ in the same week! Now we are cookin'.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9452766

Yep, Alice - it is indeed 'old home week' on our forum/thread - we are indeed blessed!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9452968

Cassie, Most of those Aroids you gave me have gone nuts... looks like you have a lot more going on than when I was there in Sept.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 18, 2013
4:08 AM

Post #9453142

Here's my babies I'm trying to grow. I'm running out of space quickly.

Coleus
New Guinea impatiens
close up impat.
lamium
zinnia

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 18, 2013
4:13 AM

Post #9453147

Also have:

Perilla tricolor
Ornamental pepper cubana
pentas
acalypha

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2013
4:29 AM

Post #9453156

Oh my Paula, you are going to have to do a lot of digging. Have you considered using an auger when it is time to plant those babies? I worked with our county employees on a public planting a while back, we had many gallon sized pots to plant and they used a large 6" auger on a big drill and just jabbed that thing into the ground and voila, the hole was dug in about 2 seconds. I would think a smaller auger on a hand drill would work for you.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 18, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9453186

Hi Alice,
I think we have one, but I was planning on tilling up the beds (its all new ground), so once I do that, it won't be hard to plant them. But then...I have grand ambitions and so little time!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9453256

Don't we all!
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 20, 2013
6:30 AM

Post #9455669

I finally figured out a way to download pictures but obviously don't know how to turn them. lol.

tani banana I thought was dead has new growth because I moved it to a sunny place
heaven scent gardenia is full of flowers
bananas
low chill peach is loaded with flowers
osmanthus smells like candy

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 20, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9455675

firespike, brunfelsia, everglades tomatoes, dragon fruit, stromanthe

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9455823

Lots of lovelies, Cassie. We never would have noticed the picture orientation.

Dragon fruit cutting you sent me has attached and is climbing one of my oak trees already! Alongside is the red stemmed Philo, also climbing the same tree. We'll see who wins.

Brazilian plume blooms like crazy, but the leaves are yellow, it doesn't like my high pH well water.

I have a huge clump of Cannas making tons of leaves, but only 2 flowers so far!

Brug Insignia, a start from Debra, getting ready to open. I missed its first bloom back in December, so this is the first time I'll see the flowers. Looks like they're going to be yellow.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9456645

Elaine, You haven't been fertilizing your Cannas too much? Just Asking.

Stromanthe; is that a Ginger type of plant Cassie?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9456784

Lol, probably Drew. btw these are Callas, not Cannas. I stumble on that one all the time. But the Callas bloom when it's cool, and the Cannas like the heat.

It's definitely been on the cool side for Florida, since the beginning of March. But it was so warm in February that I did give them a dose of time-release fert. Can't win here, if I let them dry out and get hungry (which will definitely stimulate blooms) the leaves will not look lush and healthy.

Here's my Brugmansia 'Insignia' finally in bloom - pink, wouldn't you know. It is over 8ft. tall incl. the pot. It grew and grew and grew straight up last year, finally made a Y in December and then bloomed while I was away. So this is the first I've seen of blooms on this one!

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9457241

Been there, done that!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9457335

Well, after circling it warily for weeks now, I finally dove in and wrassled my Colocasia 'Blue Hawaii' out of its pot, and divided it. I now have about 20 nice starts if anyone is interested. I am not wanting to trade, my garden is still too full. So would send them for postage.

This is a nice sized EE - mine got about 4ft. tall and wide with leaves about 20in. Pretty colors, burgundy red stems and purple veins on intense green leaves. It fell into the pool over Labor Day weekend when we were out sailing, that's the picture with the 1/2 yellow leaf. As the weather cooled last fall, the colors got more intense.

D-mail me if you'd like one. I am mailing stuff next Monday, then will be on a trip for 2 weeks or so.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9457456

you know, I don't think that is an 'Insignia" even tho the brug grower that sent it to me had it tagged that way. Looks like a b suaveleons.
so sorry bout that, Elaine, but it is a beauty.. looks like an isabella.. are the blooms really really large across?

You know I would love some of that Blue Hawaii, do you have lime zinger?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9457629

Yep, got a Lime Zinger from Cassie last spring, and it's doing great. You were already getting some Blue Hawaii starts, don't worry!

Somebody else told us they didn't think it could be Insignia, either, remember? Anyway, I love it and could care less about the name. Now I have 3 shades of pink, Cherub, Stardancer and this one. I just ran out to have a sniff, (Bbrrr! chilly out there). Yes, the flowers are wider than any of the others. I'll post another picture Saturday when more flowers are open.

Here's Coleus 'Inky Fingers' - it has really great intense colors in low light but fades out a bit if it gets brighter.

Clero Ugandense from KayJones doing great and blooming such pretty colors.

Lots of yummy healthy greens to keep us old people going - cool March weather has been great for the kale, celery, mizuna, mint (mm mojitos!) and fennel.

Last and best, the mango tree already has fruits the size of plums, and its putting on a second nice bloom - we will have a good long mango season this summer!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2013
9:39 PM

Post #9457723

omg i wish I could grow mangos here, I love them and buy them from lucky market 3 for 99 cents LOL
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2013
1:40 PM

Post #9458291

Debra, 3 for .99? That is probably cheaper than growing them yourself.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9458443

So true, Alice. Even here, and in season when they are growing commercially just down the road, Publix has imported mangoes from Mexico and Costa Rica for 99cents each! I refuse to buy any not grown in Florida when it's oranges, mangoes, etc.

Hey, maybe Debra is getting the mangoes from Florida!?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9458464

I am frustrated with cucumbers this week, even the organic ones in Publix (at 2.99 EACH) are from Mexico. We're doing without.

I am growing my own garlic this year because I recently learned that most garlic in the grocery stores is grown in China. Costco does carry CA garlic however.

We are all going to have to learn to like poi, it seems we all do well growing EE's. LOL

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 23, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9458998

Elaine,
Is that orange justicia?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9459014

Umm, I've forgotten exactly what that orange thing is. Mexican something. But it starts easily from cuttings and likes full sun so maybe not a Justicia? Anyway, I'll send you cuttings if you like it.

Here's a gorgeous little pink-leaved begonia really coming into its own in the cool weather. I think it is B. Maurice Amy from a cutting Mj sent me last fall. And a cute little Tolumnia orchid from Lowe's. They grow in what are known as "thumb pots" about 1 1/2in across, and they fit in a funny wire candle holder I had just perfectly so it makes a pretty display when they are all blooming. Of course getting orchids to bloom all at once is like trying to herd cats.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9459025

The orange plant is Justicia spicigera, aka Mexican honeysuckle. I'll trade you for some cuttings!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 24, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9460232

I thought that was what it looked like. Thanks for the offer Elaine, but I have that one or one similiar. WOW...we have had 4 inches of rain in the last 24 hours. Everything is flooded. We barely made it down our driveway this morning. Sun's out now, but they are saying more rain this afternoon. Going to build my ark...

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9462756

Brr, one more blast of winter has made it all the way down here today. Tonight's low is going to be a big shock for my Brug. Charles Grimaldi that has covered itself with flowers this week.

I also have my Amaryllis 'Bogota' out in full bloom finally. They are on the north side of the house, so have taken their time getting open. The cool weather will hopefully make the flowers last a few days longer.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9463376

Beautiful, Elaine. Yes, it got down to 19 last night, the heater was blasting all night. Today everything thawed out, and the full moon is awsome! I totally did not know Easter was upon us. We sure made plans for Sunday dinner fast!
here is Isabella..2010

Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2013
1:49 AM

Post #9463485

Hi, Deb! Isabella is lovely!! It's 40 here right now - 4 a.m. - it's COLD!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
3:28 AM

Post #9463511

I don't know, but if the weather keeps up I'm going to have to move further south! I moved home to get away from the cold, and I don't mind cooler, but this darn COLD is getting to me. Gosh, and most likely after we do get rid of it, we will hit 90's with no inbetween transition...

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
4:52 AM

Post #9463544

No winter because it was too warm, now no spring because it is too cold. Totally weird. It was 40 here this morning too.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2013
5:00 AM

Post #9463556

about 35 here this morning with a light frost. supposed to be the same tonight and then start to warm up. It's been a very Yo-Yo winter.
Already have had 2 die backs of new growth on some of the perennials that are marginal, so I hope this doesn't do them in.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9463601

Martha, if you lose anything, let us know - one of us can replace it, I'm sure.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9464875

Anticipation! These are a few of the medinilla photos as it slowly opened over 5 weeks. It was a fist sized bud at first, now the panicle of flowers is about 9" long.

Just got home from Publix, our grocery store, and they had about a gazillion potted Easter lilies. I am assuming, because of the unusually cold weather, they were still in bud, very few flowers. They should be beautiful for weeks and do very well in the garden. Usually after Easter the stores sell them for about $1 so keep your eyes open for the bargains. There are usually 3 or 4 bulbs in each pot.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia      

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 28, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9465091

Beautiful, Alice!! I am still waiting on my red one. It seems to be just sitting there. I'll post picts. as soon as it opens.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9465104

My Medinilla isn't doing anything, either - have it in the Florida room, where it's still warm.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9465160

The only thing I did differently this year was to feed it with a very weak organic fertilizer each time I watered. I was actually trying to use up this bottle of very smelly plant food but I diluted it to the point where it did not have any noticeable odor when I used it on my indoor plants.

10 day weather forecast is looking good, I am ready for spring. Only good part of this recent cold spell is that the azaleas and camellias are holding their color much longer than usual, normally the hot weather causes everything to fade.

Sure seems funny to have succulents blooming the same time as the azaleas.

The Clivias are starting. They have been outside unprotected all winter, these plants are hardier than I thought.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9465271

My Clivias continue to just sit there. They are very large, in-ground and didn't bloom last year and no sign of blooms this year.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2013
4:57 AM

Post #9465606

Our azaleas are blooming also. My Medinilla fell off the bench last year and the growing tip broke. So I doubt any bloom this year. I think I'll try feeding it more this year also. I think they can bloom anytime through summer.
I'm getting photos off the camera...here's some foliage...

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9465712

Martha, I am SO JEALOUS of those last two plants! I had an 'ant plant' just like that, but something caused it to die - been trying to get another one! What is the LAST plant pictured?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2013
8:07 AM

Post #9465759

Kay last plant is Dancing Bones cactus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55382/

Dischidia pectinoides can be tricky. Mostly folks overpot and over water.

Realized the King Anthurium is an old photo...
here's now.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9465941

Beautiful Anthurium veitchii and gloriosum Martha!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9465963

I imagine that's what I did wrong witht the ant plant.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2013
9:16 PM

Post #9470344

Hi from Salt Lake Silly. I missed seeing all your lovely lush plants so finally asked my daughter to show me how to get online with my phone. Crocus in bloom here but no leaves to speak of on the trees. We are so lucky to have our tropical gardens!! Keep the pics coming.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2013
2:36 AM

Post #9470402

Even if it is but a few months out of the year, we are Elaine! Thanks for the Colocasias!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2013
9:37 PM

Post #9471333

Yr welcome Drew. Hope they didn't get too cold. Paula did yours arrive?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 4, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9471420

Hi Elaine,
Yes they did and thank you so much. I decided to hold off on yours until you got home...one, because our dog had puppies and I have been having to babysit them (first time mom). Unfortunately, we've lost 3, but still have 4 seemingly healthy pups. Also, my kids have been on spring break..one last week and one this week. The bonfires are really growing and blooming now. I can't wait until they really fill out.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9471537

can't wait to get my babies outside, Elaine.
Stay warm!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9471633

40's and rain here Deb... Warm this weekend! Maybe I will start the in-out of the garage process then... We are about 3 weeks out of the norm for leaves and temperatures for Mar.- Apr.!

Philodendron maximum Inflorescence.

Thumbnail by homer1958

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 4, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9471954

Finally...showing some progress on the red medinilla

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 4, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9471956

and my griffinia is blooming and I almost missed it

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9472082

Debra surprised me with a WONDERFUL birthday present - 3 orange native milkweed plants - THANKS, Lady Bug!!!! I love you!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9472146

;) yer welcome, my dear friend. All the things you have given me are so wonderful.
I saw an Inflorescence. on my upright EE. I have got to get a picture of it, somehow. I can't believe it is going to bloom!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2013
4:38 AM

Post #9472439

That's great Deb. If you have two around the same time you may end up with these berries and have many babies!

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9472707

Hi again from cold rainy Salt Lake. We are on hold for weeding until this rain passes. Might get to my favorite nursery later,Cactus & Tropicals. I should have some nice pics from there to post. Meantime got a lucky shot of these hellebores.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

pniksch
Frisco, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2013
8:59 PM

Post #9475362

Hi guys- I'm new to the forum, but feel the pain of those who can't wait to drag everything out of the greenhouse or basement. I'm a SoCal transplant to north Tx.
Hi Paula- how are the raphidophora cuttings doing? The EE you sent are doing well. Anyone in this forum know a source for1) Monstera deliciosa Marmorata or2) Ficus sagittata variegata? I've become obsessed with finding these. Thanks everybody!
Paul
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 8, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9475688

Hi Paul,
They are doing great,,thanks! If I had the above I would share...philos are one of my favs!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9476542

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KAY
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KAY
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR KAY,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.

:-)

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2013

Post #9476547

Happy B-Day Kay...
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9476592

Oh, thanks - you gals are wonderful.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2013
3:28 AM

Post #9477033

http://www.bayoubloomstropicalplants.net/catch-a-deal-plant-co-op.php

for those that might have missed this

Jan
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2013
4:06 AM

Post #9477041

Thanks Jan! Happy Birthday Kay! Hey Paula, can you send a picture of the Philodendron giganteum I sent you last year? I am interested in seeing how big it has become.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2013
4:07 AM

Post #9477043

Thanks, Drew!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2013

Post #9480547

Ok, you slackers! Not a single post yesterday? You're probably all out doing something like maybe . . . gardening??

I was out of town all day yesterday, shopping for orchids in Apopka. We drove 2 hours each way to get to the orchid bargain capital of Florida, and was it ever worth it. Here are some shots from the huge greenhouses we visited. I got lovely little Epidendrums for $3 each, Phaius for $8 and Vandas for $7 (sorry, my Scots heritage dictates I must brag about a bargain). Came home with 17 new orchids, now, where the heck am I going to put them. Last two pics are from my haul.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9480592

Elaine, I could adopt some of them - they are lovely!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9481405

Here's what's blooming in my yard 4/12/13:

Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9481415

Here are some more plants blooming 4/12/13 in my yard:

Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9481423

Even more blooming in my yard today - 4/12/13:

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9481429

You asked me to post pics of my yard - well, here's some more from 4/12/13:

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9481432

And the keep coming - 4/12/13:

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9481441

Wow, where is everyone? I feel I'm hogging this thread, but - here's some more:

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9481505

Just Gorgeous! I can't believe you have hydrangeas blooming already, please tell me that pot was in your GH. What is the plant with the grayish leaves in the 4th picture, last set?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9481507

And a HUGE Happy Birthday to Debra today. :-) Hope you get cake, ice cream and PLANTS.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9481558

Alice, it's Gulf Coast Lupine - they grow wild all over NW Florida!

http://www.waltonoutdoors.com/gulf-coast-lupine-blooms-along-south-walton-area-beaches/

Edited to respond to blooming Hydrangeas - I bought them recently - insitu ones are just leafing out.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2013 7:37 PM

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9481588

Absolutely Beautiful Kay!

Thumbnail by shauna1219   Thumbnail by shauna1219         

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9481627

Fabulous amaryllis, Kay. And a belated happy birthday to you! Also a very happy birthday to Debra as well.

My amaryllis are just finishing. I missed most of them while I was away, but can see how great they were this year. I have tons of red daylilies now, to continue the show. Callas have a couple more flowers, and Brug. Monster White is in bloom again. First two pics are a couple of my new orchids.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2013 4:52 PM

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9481817

Happy Birthday Deb! Total Sensory overfriggin load!!!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9481886

I'll add a few more pictures of plants blooming now in my yard - (sorry if I post something a second time) 4/12/13:

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9481892

Five more for 4/12/13!!!

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9481900

Five more for 4/12/13:

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9481906

Here's a few more - can you tell my yard is a jungle?!!! 4/12/13:

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9481922

Allow me to share some more - lol! 4/12/13:

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9481931

Since I seem to be the only one on here right now, I'll happily post the last two for 4/112/13:

Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones         

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9481989

Just beautiful, Kay. You're not alone.

I have pineapple sage for the hummers, sunflowers that were planted by the birdies, and purple firespike making a big shrub sprawling all over.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 12, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9481990

Oh Elaine, you should be getting a package tomorrow, let me know if you don't. Great pictures, Kay!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9482063

Oh, goodie! Thanks Paula.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2013
2:46 AM

Post #9482135

Paula, the purple firespike you sent me (I THINK it was you) bloomed this winter. I just moved it a couple of days ago and hope it survives. If not, I took cuttings, which rooted very quickly.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 13, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9482155

Good Kay...I love it...It and the red one!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9483307

oh my goodness you guys, the blooms are blowing me away. I could just smell them and even taste them. been a busy week, hope you birthday week was great KayJones. A day off finally.. ;)

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9487371

There's obviously way too much gardening and not enough computing and posting going on around here!
Pinwheel jasmine smells so good. 2 pics
Huge brom in bloom from a bare-root offset I got at Selby. It's at least 3ft high and wide.
Blazing snapdragons, and pretty purple violas won't last much longer if this heat keeps up!
First of my gloriosa lilies opened today.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9487398

Beautiful, Elaine, all I have are a few daffs and outside bloomers, most of the stuff inside you all have already seen.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9487505

Can't believe how your weather keeps turning back to winter up there, Deb. Don't worry, heat will be upon you soon enough!

Same in Salt Lake where I was just visiting my kids. We transplanted a whole bunch of stuff and I'm worried it all will die from the cold.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2013
9:12 PM

Post #9488059

well, I don't think anything will die here or there, I just think it will be a longer wait until it all gets lush and blooming size is all.. many things down south get nipped, but they all come back most of the time. This two day low thing will only be extra cold for a few hours.. I hope. And I have transplanted some pretty small babys out there.. but so far they are holding their own..

This message was edited Apr 17, 2013 10:13 PM
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9488721

Has anyone been in touch with Rita lately?

Couple of pups off the Mutha AeAe.

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9488919

Pups are lookin great Drew. Maybe if you keep them both in one pot, they won't get quite as huge as Mama did?

Wonder if Rita found a new house, and has been embroiled in moving, and planting a whole new botanical garden . . either that or she retired to Belize?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9488935

That a Begonia E.?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9489050

Yep, my massive B. Odorata alba that Alice sent me as a small cutting a year ago. You can smell it 50ft. away in the mornings.

Hm, it makes a plant that's almost big enough to appeal to you, Drew. Want a start?
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2013
4:16 AM

Post #9489297

Would love one, but, may end up with a divorce with another "large" plant. Thanks for the offer though. Verrrry nice plant. House was full, garage was full. Glad we 'll pay this house off next year. Hopefully, I can work on obtaining a couple of acres of land and a few greenhouses to place on them.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9489482

Hm, better get your land close by or your wife will never see you.

Couple of acres? A few greenhouses? Can we help you choose the name for your new nursery business?? "Drew's Tropical Giants?" comes to mind.

Here are a couple of mundane pictures of my groundcover jasmine 'Tricolor'. This is a big success for me, that I've been waiting on for 2 years, it has finally taken hold and is covering nicely. I just love the colors it makes. New foliage is pink or white, and the green comes in to the leaves later, making them variegated.

Red pentas are finally coming on strong, after a major setback in March with the cold weather. They were looking pretty scrappy!

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9489498

Drew, begonias are easy, you just leave the mom plant outside and bring a small cutting or two indoors for the winter. They, especially the odorata grow quickly.

We are having an epic amount of oak pollen. The pine pollen started in January and is long gone, this stuff is terrible. The allergists are saying that normally it is so fine it blows away but not this year. The dead flowers are dropping in unusually high numbers also. We blow and wash the drive and walks several times a day. This is just one hours worth of mess.

...and something pretty to make up for the ugly.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9489709

My sympathies, Alice. Been there, done that a couple of weeks ago. Had to clean the gutters out twice! No worries, weather front headed your way should whip the last of those pesky oak flowers away.

Just think how they fertilize the oak trees for the rest of the year, right?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9489851

I am afraid we will have acorns 2' deep this year and then there will be gazillions of those oak seedlings. LOL We are under a severe storm watch this afternoon but I suspect it will go to the west of us, the storms usually skip around the sea islands.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9490077

beautiful, even tho you might not like the stuff getting on everything , it ends up being a good thing afterall, right?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2013
11:48 AM

Post #9491967

Hope the weather did miss you, Alice. I was up at an ungodly hour this morning just as it was getting light, wrangling wrens! A pair of Carolina wrens got themselves trapped inside the pool cage, (there's a hole I need to fix). I was awakened by their indignant chirping, as they flitted around trying to get out. They overturned a couple of my orchids in the process, but luckily no harm done. I propped the doors open, then sort of 'herded' them in the right direction.

As I was bumbling around, discovered my agapanthus just opening nicely. Couple of new orchids opened while we were out sailing yesterday, too.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9492055

beautiful, Elaine.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 22, 2013
4:05 AM

Post #9492757

I love the last orchid, Elaine. What is it?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9492848

Encyclia Green Hornet. It's a real winner, Paula. Blooms nearly constantly and it's fragrant, too!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 22, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9493103

Very pretty!!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9493113

Same activity with the Oaks up here Alice. Don't think I've ever seen it this bad!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9493137

Isn't it strange? The ER here says they are overflowing with people with breathing difficulties and the health dept. says the pollen level was at critical stage. We never got the serious rain we were supposed to have but we had a little and enough wind to bring down a lot more of those spent oak flowers, actually I think I am seeing the end. Since the pine pollen started in January this year, it has been a long, rough spring.

Elaine, your orchids are always so beautiful and you have the perfect climate and jungle-like setting for them.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9493231

You can say that again, Alice. You really would all laugh if you saw my garden, it IS a jungle. Usually sort of under control at this time of year, but by mid-summer you need a machete and a guide to walk through most of it.

I know you've all seen these before, but I just can't resist a picture when Passiflora quadrangularis is blooming! It got confused and bloomed when the weather was so warm in Jan. & Feb. but I'm hoping now there might actually be some pollenators around.

Easy Does It landscape roses are blooming out front. A late amaryllis was a nice surprise, and my wild stripey Cannas are starting to put up their fabulous leaves.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9493305

LOL, I meant jungle in a good way, the Sarasota area is blessed with the climate to grow all sorts of jungle like plants. Of course, if the strange weather patterns keep up I'll be in the same position. My little variegated syngonium never took a hit this past winter, it ought to grow like crazy this year. I am hoping to get some flowers on the orchid cactus I planted at the base of a tree (at your suggestion ) last year. Right now it is tied up but hopefully it will take off and attach itself to the tree this summer. It handled the limited cold like a trooper.

The bottlebrush is doing its thing right now.

J. Maple Villa Taranto, I love the flowers on this one.

pniksch
Frisco, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9493543

Here's my clivia 'Camaron Peach'- first bloom ever. I used to grow the orange and yellow ones in SoCal, so I thought I'd try them in north TX. I bought the plant about 5 years ago, and it took forever to bloom- but I love this shade of pastel peachy-apricot, with little blushes of pink on some of the petals. Sorry it's sideways, still as pretty!

This message was edited Apr 24, 2013 4:29 PM

Thumbnail by pniksch

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9493563

That is pretty. My yellow Clivia is just about to open - orange Clivias are almost done blooming.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9493820

Oo, that is a lovely color on your clivia. I've had at least 4 clivias, 2 yellow, 2 orange, given to me as gifts, and they've all petered out and disappeared except this one. It's showing no sign of a flower, but it does have 5 fans of leaves. Think I'm going to put it under scrutiny in the pool cage under an overhang so I can deprive it of water for a little while.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9497227

Got some brugs blooming, Phaius microburst, and the callas are finally giving up some flowers.

One of my bargain orchids made a nice centerpiece for dinner last night.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9499128

Now for something completely different! The Wormkiller! Synandrospadix vermitoxicum is blooming again. I thought for sure I'd killed it, and only had the one baby plant left (in the little pot in the pic). But no, here she is! Last time I had one bloom, it self-pollenated, and self-sowed, too. Such a cool plant. Think I'll leave it to its own devices from now on.

There's an awful lot of ominous silence going on here, is everybody ok?? I hope you're all just busy gardening!

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9499144

Yep - busy in the yard. I already posted everything I have blooming. My sandpaper vine is blooming now, though. The Amorphophallus are done blooming - only lasted a couple of days.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9499164

I almost threw my worm killer out. It was in a pot and completely dormant. I was dumping what I thought were pots of just soil and all of a sudden this big bulb fell out of one. I replanted it and it is already sending up shoots. It is a very forgiving plant.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9499185

Must admit, I don't see the point with the Amorphophallus, they stink when they are in bloom, and only last a day or two, then make this huge foliage plant. What's the attraction here?

I've got pinstripe ginger, a start from Rita, or maybe Cassie? It has finally come into its own, and is blooming. Still in a big pot, but I think I have the spot in mind for it.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9499187

Re: Amorphophallus - I guess it's just to be able to say 'ya, I've got that'.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9499192

I am so old I had it back in the late 80's. One smell and that was it. LOL

RachelLF

RachelLF

April 27, 2013
8:49 PM

Post #9499395

Nice photos everyone.

For those of you that are growing the "worm killer" Synandrospadix vermitoxicus, it has a natural dormant period even in it's native environment so don't worry and think you've killed the plant when it disappears again ;)

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2013
4:23 AM

Post #9499529

Elaine, baby worm killer from you is just now peeking up out of the soil. I wish it would get a move on !!!!!!!!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9499783

Give it a little dilute fert, Mj, and jump back! Mine went from "just peeking" to a foot tall with a flower in about 10 days.

Love your orchid photos, btw. The one with the kitty guarding the greenhouse is great! I've been posting all my orchid photos on ATP for a while now, but lurk the Orchids forum here.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9499980

Here are some blooms in my yard today:

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9499986

Here's some more:

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9499988

And a few more:

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9499993

Just a few more:

Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones      

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9500005

Nice Monstera Kay!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9500099

Where, where? Oh yeah, mixed in with the beautiful variegated brug, right? I missed it on the first viewing.

Fabulous array, Kay. Yellow clivia, I home mine blooms some day . . .
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9500117

Thanks for the kind words! That Monstera varigata was last year's birthday present from Debra - thanks, my Friend!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9500180

Looks like this Front in the Southeast has gone stationary over us in the Charlotte area... We have over an inch and a half as I type.

First time for both Trachycarpus fortunei to flower simultaneously!

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9500463

Yikes, that's a big messy looking front, too Drew. Keep your galoshes on.Nice palms.

My favorite orchid, Yellow Bird, in bloom today, and a beautiful begonia I got as a cutting from Mj last fall has earned itself a nice new pot today.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9501027

Nice Kay!
Back where it's warm, thank goodness. Waiting for Tenants to move, my stuff arrives midweek some time. While I was away, a very large house was built next door dwarfing mine. Might affect the back garden. The fern tree should be at least happy about that, if it's still kicking. I saw it in Feb, and it lost all the fronds, but seemed like the new fiddles about to emerge were still healthy.
Off to get my car registered for TX again. Rather be digging!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9501059

Randy, we are SO HAPPY to have you back home!!!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9501206

Hm, more shade for your garden might be a great blessing, Rj. Hot as the Texas summers have been lately, y'know?

I suddenly have caladiums popping up here! Miss Muffet, NoID we think is White Queen, a Thai noid, Jungle Rain, and Carolyn Wharton.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9501282

Elaine, Lari Ann ID'd that Thai Caladium for me as 'Jungle Rain'. I think it is one of the hardiest Thai's.

Randy, I hope the floods in Houston this week spared you and your garden. So glad to hear you are back in TX, good things come to those who wait.

My White Monster is blooming right now too in front of a Pin Stripe Ginger.
A mixed pot of succulents.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9501451

Yup, it does disappear abruptly when the nights get cold, but has been a reliable return grower for me. It's got two flowers in that second to last picture, too!

Couple more of the wonderful begonias you sent me, Alice.

Carolina de Lucerna has huge luminous pink/orange flowers, although the plant is looking very sad at the moment,
Sophie Cecile is putting on gorgeous new leaves with pink spots!

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 30, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9502255

Elaine,
How are your Choc. Bonfire doing?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 30, 2013
4:19 AM

Post #9502263

Mine are growing...got to sell some of them.

#2 Acallypha -tiki something

#3Coleus - pineapple

#4 Coleus

#5 Lamium

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 30, 2013
4:31 AM

Post #9502269

a few things blooming

Amaryllis - apple blossom
geraniums
pink justicia
new bromeliads

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 30, 2013
4:42 AM

Post #9502279

a couple more

Iris
I forget what this is called, but love it...little mini hibiscuslike flowers
Alocasia black velvet - i think

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9502670

In the last set of pictures, middle plant is:

Blue Potato Bush, Paraguay Nightshade, Blue Lycianthes, Lycianthes rantonnei

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31441/#b

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9502737

Little bit of new growth starting on the B. Chocolate Bonfire, Paula. I think they are happy. Thanks again!

Did you find a wet location for your C. Blue Hawaii? Or a really big pot under a downspout? So jealous you guys got some rain this week. We've had none for a while now, but hopefully today or tomorrow.

Caladium White Christmas can't decide whether to make green or white leaves. Alocasia Hilo Beauty just starting up.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 30, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9502990

I'm putting all my EE in pots this year. Tried them in the ground and they just didn't do anything...so until I can make a nice bed for them, they stay in pots. I put them down by the barn so I can remember to water them. That's one place I go every day to feed the horses.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9503090

I've had better luck with them in pots but this year mine are all going in the ground because, for me, watering is easier that way. I plan on being away for 5 weeks and I need to let the irrigation system take care of them. Tony Avant says in ground with lots of compost and water so that is what I will try.

Perry's Fire Opal hardy water lily. This was a cutting just planted this past Saturday; future flowers should be larger and have more variegated color.

Thumbnail by ardesia

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9503151

Well you guys are just confusing me as to what I should do with EE's this year. C. Blue Hawaii is sitting an old bird bath and making new leaves like crazy...Thank You Elaine, I love it. Alocasia Hilo Beauty is just getting going so I think I will set that in a saucer, No pond or any place that I trust to stay wet enough w/o me watering and we don't have auto irrigation. I unlike many am hoping for all the wet to come here...but I swear it splits and goes around us. We did get a good rain last night, but being 8 in. below normal it's just disappearing into the soil. I went out to the riding arena today and kicked the soil around and it was dry underneath. Pooh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9503806

everyone's blooms and plants are gorgeous. have a great day!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9503953

How's about we celebrate the new month of May with a NEW THREAD! This one's getting really long!

Come on over to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1310372/
pniksch
Frisco, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9531143

I can't get A. Hilo Beauty to do anything-I've bought tubers that don't sprout, small plants that die larger plants that just get smaller. I can grow every other kind of EE, but this one.
Any suggestions? Thanks!
hondo73
Tarpon Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2014
6:14 AM

Post #9811213

dyzzypyxxy wrote:Ok, you slackers! Not a single post yesterday? You're probably all out doing something like maybe . . . gardening??

I was out of town all day yesterday, shopping for orchids in Apopka. We drove 2 hours each way to get to the orchid bargain capital of Florida, and was it ever worth it. Here are some shots from the huge greenhouses we visited. I got lovely little Epidendrums for $3 each, Phaius for $8 and Vandas for $7 (sorry, my Scots heritage dictates I must brag about a bargain). Came home with 17 new orchids, now, where the heck am I going to put them. Last two pics are from my haul.

May I ask the name of the nursery you visited? Looks amazing; I see a little road trip in my future!
Thank you in advance :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America