Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Tropical Plants And Gardens #129

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

Please join us for a cornucopia of tropical plants and gardens!

We came from here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292473/

Monstera deliciosa 'Marmarata'
This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 8:08 PM

This message was edited Feb 25, 2013 8:10 PM

Thumbnail by homer1958
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for starting a fresh thread, Drew. The old one had gone really stale!

I have not much new around here except for some new orchids opening - have not yet summoned the energy to dismember my Colo. Blue Hawaii. Think I'll leave it on "hold" until after this next cold front goes away.

Phaius tankervillae aka Nun's orchids, a cute little Oncidium and one that's called "Lava Burst". Even though the flowers are small they are intensely colored red with yellow markings inside, just like, well . . . lava! Last ones are, guess what?? Petunias. From the sublime to the ridiculous?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Ridiculous is good... Why do today, what you can put off till tomorrow is what I say.

Blackshear, GA

Hello everyone,
We are getting hammered with rain...since Friday we have gotten over 5 inches...the roads are so bad the school buses were getting stuck yesterday, so we have a 'rain day'. They cancelled school for today and I'm sure tomorrow too, because it is still raining! Our pond has come up about 2 ft. All the rain out of my yard runs down into it and its really filling up.

How about you Drew...is it coming up that far?

Blackshear, GA

Here's the pond...

and outside my bedroom window (that I haven't landscaped yet)

I've had to pump out the pool twice already because it was close to overflowing.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

It's ok, Paula. Once it stops raining it's gonna freeze, so you'll go from Waterworld to Iceworld . . . our sympathies. Hope the new greenhouse is up? What's the pretty little tree with pink buds down there next to the lake?

I am dragging out all the frost covers again, too. Suffering a broken rib right now, so it's going to be a literal pain to cover everything this weekend. It's looking very stormy and threatening out my window right now, too.

My latest scores from Costco - huge Cymbidiums for $22! At the shows these sell for over $40. The bigger one has 3 spikes just starting to open.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
(Zone 9a)

We were away for a few days and came home to 3" in the rain gauge from Saturday's storm. This morning there is 5" of fresh rain in the gauge and 8" in 4 days is more than my soggy soil can handle, everything is flooded here. It is 70 already but as soon as this rain passes the temp will drop rapidly. Sadly, it will fry the azaleas and camellias and any fruit blossoms but maybe it will take out some bugs too.

Has anyone heard from Debra? Her area is really getting hit with snow and wind.

My Medinilla bud is getting bigger and pinker, I can't wait to see the flowers.

We crossed posted, Ouch on the rib Elaine. Feel better soon.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 9:52 AM

Blackshear, GA

Very Nice Elaine!!

I feel your pain Alice. Everything is blooming here too! But so far the lowest it is supposed to be is 33, so unless that changes maybe things will be ok. Surprisingly, the sun just came out, but they are saying more rain this afternoon when the cold front comes through. Yuck!!

Alice, Debra (joeswife) has been posting on another forum. She's good, but her sister is having a rough time.

We've had an inch and a half.

Blackshear, GA

Over 6 in. here, But thank the Lord the sun is out!! Beautiful day, but very soggy with puddles everywhere!

(Zone 9a)

Sun finally came out here too and then the wind started so the puddles are drying quickly. Sunday and Monday nights still look mean temperature wise but the forecast keeps improving so maybe they won't be so bad.

Blackshear, GA

Aww Alice, its supposed to be 29...25..27 over the weekend here. I'm so upset! Going tomorrow to Lowes to find some frost cloths.
I have over 200 little babies in the GH and 150 more on the way. I have GONE CRAZY!! Can't help myself, but when you can get 150 pentas for $12.00...can't beat it! I normally pay $2.98 for pentas in a 4 in. pot.

Soooo...if you would like some red pentas, torenia, zinnias, lamium, red halo vinca....I got them...LOL!

(Zone 9a)

You got a DEAL girl! Can't wait to see the pictures of that mass of color you will have this summer.

The wind has died down so I will be putting the frost cloth out again this morning.

Blackshear, GA

Hoyas are really starting to put on a show.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

a few more

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

Here are my new babies...I have most of them potted up.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

Where is everyone???

I had a great day today....went to a plant show on Amelia Island, FL. Got some great plants...I'll post pictures tomorrow, but the biggest find was at Lowes. I went in to check their clearance and the only thing I decided to buy was a macho fern for $4.99. I went to the front to check out and the lady said"that'll be 81 cents" Excuse Me???
Yes....81 cents for a 3 gallon macho fern. She said that all plants in the clearance was 75 cents. Whoa! better go check that out again!! So on the second trip I got several more things, two of which were bonsai plants, regular $55 for 75 cents. I was shocked! So I went on to the plant show and sale, then on the way back decided to make one more loop through Lowes. I left again with a bunch of plants...some of which was a 3 gal. jatropha, 3 gal. crossandra, 3 fancy containers of the round spike sanseveria, angelonia, lantana, snapdragons, 2 orchids, cosmos, and several others. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Very fun day!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Paula, your plant habit is totally out of control! Way to go, though. Rocking bargains.

Now get busy and find a crew to help you plant all that stuff out.

I have the pinwheel jasmine smelling up the whole yard, and nun's orchids in full bloom. But HooBoy! is it ever cold and windy tonight!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
(Zone 9a)

39 here this morning but since it was originally forecast to be 20 I am not complaining. The wind is bad though and it does feel like it is a lot colder. Taking the dog out to get the newspaper was like going to Siberia.

Paula, I am blown away by your bargains, I love Macho fern. Be sure to give that one lots of room so it can spread, once it get established it will make a huge, 20' clump.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Alice, it's 39 here, too. It's supposed to be 54 tomorrow night, then it's downhill from there for the next 4 days, then back up into the 50's at night - yikes - do I dare uncover my plants?!

(Zone 9a)

I am not going to tempt fate. I am sure our temps stayed up because I did go out and cover up, if I hadn't surely everything would be toast. LOL

I have a 30' length of white frost cloth covering a begonia bed. There is a Yaupon holly that shades that bed and the frost cloth goes under and around it. The yaupon was full of berries (well fermented) and the Cedar Waxwings are here this week feasting on those berries and getting drunk then doing what birds do after they eat. You would not believe the mess they have made of the frost cloth. I will not be able to save it, it is too disgusting and I'll barely be able to fold it up to get it to the dump. Yuck.

Oh, Alice - hose it off or leave it out in the rain - don't toss it!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm with Paula. You wouldn't want to waste all that wonderful "bird fertilizer" would you? Rinse it off onto the begonias!

We are supposed to have our coldest night tonight. I've been tempting fate, and have not covered anything the last two nights except the orchids. But if the wind dies down and the sky clears up, it will be a lot colder tonight. I will be out there at 10pm in my ski clothes putting up frost cloth and filling hot water jugs! Let's hope it's the last time.

Nice red Cymbidium called Kenny Wine coming into bloom. They don't mind the cold, which is nice

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
(Zone 9a)

Do you all get cedar waxwings down there? They come in flocks of hundreds and get drunk on the fermented holly berries, They fly into trees or windows or whatever is in their way. They make a terrible mess of cars and walks. The neatest part is that they completely strip one tree at a time, then they move on to a neighboring tree. Probably by mid week they will be gone onto wherever they go next.

The poky medinilla bud is driving me crazy.

Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia

Beautiful birds Alice!

At least your Medinilla has buds - mine doesn't have anything remotely like a bud!

Blackshear, GA

Alice, why is the leaf so dark on the medinilla? Is it the lighting?

I am SOOOO excited, I finallly won the bid on a RED medinilla on ebay. This is the third time I've tried and I won it...it also has a bud on it, so I can;t wait for it to get here. Better be in good condition!!

(Zone 9a)

It must be the lighting Paula and it is hanging down over a begonia leaf, that may be what you are seeing. Great luck on the red medinilla, I have never seen one. My bud is unusually pale but I suspect that is because it is indoors and does not get the bright light it needs. It is the darn 3M film on the windows.

37 here this morning, whew, we dodged another bullet.

Blackshear, GA

Hey Alice,
It is freezing here!! We have ice! I was not prepared for this..the last I saw was low of 35. These weather people just can't get it right anymore. So now I'm going to have some major damage on some things. I don't think all my amaryllis are going to bloom this year. They were all just starting to come up and now this! Had I known it would be this cold, I would have covered them. Arrgh!

I have never seen the red medinilla in person either, but the pictures are gorgeous! I hope I won't be disappointed! And I hope I don't kill it!

Blackshear, GA

Here are just a few my of new babies I found this weekend:

varigated crinun

-

This message was edited Mar 4, 2013 3:45 PM

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

oops clicked wrong button
1 - sting ray
2 - my 75 cents bonsai
3 - medinilla magnifica
4 - pink justicia
5 - 3 new begonias

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

and a few bromeliads

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066 Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

They all look good!

Blackshear, GA

Hey Kay,
How cold did it get your way? Its supposed to be cold here again tonight, then warm up a little.

It was in the upper thirties Monday morning - in the 60's this morning. No damage - had all the tender stuff covered with blankets.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I didn't cover anything tonight, and all the 'chids stayed outside, too. Yay! Back to schlepping and covering tomorrow, though, maybe.

Hey, anybody know where I could get several cheap plastic watering cans that are small enough for kindergarten kids to handle? I am helping out at the local elementary school garden, and the big 2gal. ones are too big for the little kids to handle, even when we only fill them up about 1/3 full. I've seen tiny toy ones that barely hold a cupful of water, and I've seen some that are ghastly expensive. Who the heck pays $42 for a watering can??

What we need is one (actually 5 or 6) that costs under $8, holds about a half a gallon, and has a "rose" on the spout so the kids don't drown the transplants. Meantime I'm saving milk jugs, and drilling holes in the lids . . . guess that will work for a while.

Blackshear, GA

Elaine,
Our Lowes or Walmart has watering cans that hold about a quart..doesn't have the sprinkle spout but a small spout about 1/2 in. wide. You may want to check there, I think they were around $2.00

(Zone 9a)

Haws, which IMO makes quality products, has a 2 pint one that is about $15.00. They have others also, I didn't check them all. The US distributors are a family owned business in GA and just maybe if you contacted them and asked for a school and or MG discount they might help you out. http://www.hawswateringcans.com/indoorplastic.asp

Paula, are you familiar with this company? I don't know if they have a retail outlet but I would love to go there if they did. I do know occasionally they have specials. A few years ago I bought a couple of their larger cans in a DG co op and he gave the organizer a deal for a group buy. I also remember hearing the gentleman that owned the place was a true Southern gentleman and was a pleasure to deal with.

Blackshear, GA

No Alice, haven't ever heard of them. I'll check them out.

Elaine, they are similiar to this one..
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-1.5-Liter-Watering-Can-Khaki/20563594?tv2=true&

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, you two!

Paula, we do need one with the spout rose, because little kids watering a seedling or transplant without one just drown the plants, then they cry! Arg. We need something easy to handle that sprinkles instead of pouring.

Alice, I will contact Haws, but theirs are pretty pricey and we only have a little bit of grant money left.

In the meantime, my creative genius DH has made one out of a milk jug that just might work. Drilled some small holes in the lid, and a big hole for a vent halfway down so we can't fill it too full.

Sorry all, done with hijacking the thread now!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.