Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

SOLVED: possible southern California native shrub

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

got a new property in high desert, southern California and property has a bunch of these planted on it...

Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob
Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

It looks like a dry grown Laurus nobilis. Any aroma in the foliage.
Congrats on the new property.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Not sure what it is, but it isn't Laurus nobilis, that has distinctive thick berry stems, this has the berries on slender stems.

Darwin, Australia

Kinda looks like Prunus caroliniana. Just a guess though.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I have to ask where that is approximately. I have property in Apple Valley and by Elizabeth Lake. The vegetation and landscape is beautiful. Congratulations! It brings back a lot of memories.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

It is in Acton, just west of Palmdale

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Yep, I have friends that live there. It is beautiful country. It's not flat like some deserts, it always has something different, to offer Dang, you're making me home sick. But congratulations to you.

Darwin, Australia

Any more thoughts on ID? I still think Prunus caroliniana is a good candidate...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I agree that's very likely it. We lived in SoCal for many years (including the Palmdale area and Orange County) and there were a number of P. caroliniana growing there, mostly as trees though. It isn't native, but it's fairly plentiful in those areas.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Hmmm .. well, looks like the best guess yet... sure an unhappy tree in my area.. will have to rid the property of them soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.