Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: lawn problems

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
staffdriver
Oxfordshire
United Kingdom

February 27, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9434067

I would normally scarify & apply weed & feed to my lawn at this time of year. But as we have had an extension built and have bare patches where trenches etc have been dug how should i go about repairing it this year?
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2013
9:30 PM

Post #9434202

Be very careful with weed killers, whether they are packaged separately or combined as in weed & feed products. They can slow or stop the growth of new grass.

1) Make sure the soil has fully settled in the trenches. It would be hard to fix if they continued to settle after the lawn started filling in.

2) If you need to fill the trenches a bit more use some soil conditioner or compost to blend with your soil. Bring them up level to the surrounding soil.

3) Get some grass seed of the same type as the rest of the lawn to scatter in the bare areas. Follow the directions about how much to use.

4) Cover the seed with a thin layer of fine compost or soil conditioner. Just enough to hide it from the birds, and hold the moisture next to the seed. If it is a large area I would then use a roller to make sure the seed and topping is in good contact with the soil. If it is a small area you might be able to tamp it with your foot enough to do the job.

5) Fertilize the whole lawn with a starter fertilizer (low nitrogen, moderate phosphate and potassium). This will help the seeds get going and not risk using a weed & feed.

6) Water the bare areas carefully so you do not wash away the seed or compost.
staffdriver
Oxfordshire
United Kingdom

February 28, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9434426

Thanks for the reply, there is quite a bit of moss in the grass should i leave off treating this until the new seed is established.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9436669

I would remove the moss. Give the grass seed the best chance of being in contact with good soil and the least competition for water and nutrients while it is young.

If moss is thriving in the area where you want lawn perhaps the area is too wet or too shaded for most lawn grasses. Most lawn grasses are best for full sun and some drying between watering.
Most mosses thrive in shade and constantly moist conditions.
GinWilk
Oak Park, IN

June 4, 2014
8:14 AM

Post #9858676

Does anyone know a way to combat quack grass, which at its worst appears as small corn stalks in your lawn, and grows much taller than the regular grass. I've tried to dig out the roots, use vegetation killer in the soil where I've pulled them up...have also added lime in the area where the quack grass grows, because I read in one forum that it doesn't like lime in the soil and eventually disappears. But it has always come back no matter what Ive tried...

Anybody have any remedies? I live in Southern Indiana, just on the border with Kentucky, and have a rather clay-based soil. My grass is pretty green and lush with weed and feed treatments over the past 3 years or so. But this pesky quack grass is very distracting.
Thanks for any help available.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America