Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KirkH
Austin, TX

February 28, 2013
3:54 AM

Post #9434264

I have a raised bed garden about 5ft X 5ft with 32 asparagus plant from crowns that are coming up on their third year. This is the first year that asparagus volunteers are showing up. There are about 10 of them. I am trying to decide if I should let them grow or if I should pull them. Any advice from those with more experience with asparagus? Thank you.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

February 28, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9434385

I guess that it depends on the location of the volunteers if they are not in a place that is already planned for then I say live and let live ,I used to have a fairly large bed of asparagas and volunteers would come up in flower beds and I just let them be as they make a nice contrast to blooming plants ...I plan to add another bed this year it will be in one of the new hugelkulture beds,can't wait...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 28, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9434565

Let them grow as you can never have to much asparagus!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9434654

Volunteers are fine, but you don't want the bed to get too crowded or it will stop producing. Periodically thin it out and pass the excess crowns on to another gardener or find a spot for a new bed.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9434764

If they are in an asparagus bed, why are they called volunteers? Aren't they simply spreading as they should? It is a perennial-or am I wrong?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9434859

Drthor? Are you asking if you should harvest the volunteer spears or let them turn into ferns til 2nd year? I think since they are volunteers they can be harvested because their roots are established already. I don't think it will hurt the volunteers.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9434925

Jo - you're right.

Kittriana - you're right.

Anytime a spear comes up that's too thin you can just leave it and allow it to go to the frond stage so it will gather more strength for next year.

Our bed is over 20 years old and still producing beautifully. It only gets our own compost.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

grits74571
Talihina, OK

February 28, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9435013

First thing I do outside each day is to check on the asparagas bed not a peek so far this hurts...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9435015

Ours start pushing through the earth the same time as the hosta and Asiatic lilies.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9435038

Grits? I am seeing very inconsistent warming trends as I travel. Tennesse I40 is busting out in leaves. Texarkana I swear I saw a Bradford pear blooming, and another white blooming trees- that I swear was not dogwood. Maybe summer plums. Yet the closer I get to Dallas there is nothing but some scrawny daffs bloomin in the roadside...not even redbuds.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9435280

Bradford Pear trees are blloming in my neighbor ...

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9435326

[quote="JoParrott"]If they are in an asparagus bed, why are they called volunteers? Aren't they simply spreading as they should? It is a perennial-or am I wrong?[/quote]

It depends -- if you plant Martha/Mary Washington or another old fashioned variety, they produce seeds and you can have actual germinated volunteers.
KirkH
Austin, TX

March 1, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9435812

Half of these are Jersey Giant and the other half are Purple Passion. I am thinking that it was a bit crowded in there last Summer, maybe it is better to keep them cleaned out for at least for a few more years. And then decide. I would hate to have so many that overall production is hurt.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9435863

32 asparagus for a 5 x 5' bed is a lot. You might want to move half of them elsewhere. They do expand and that's what most gardeners dream about when they plant them. The alternative would be another 5 x 5' bed.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9435892

Views on asparagus planting: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sqfoot/msg0223014418429.html

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 1, 2013
7:10 PM

Post #9436001

My asparagus bed is 4 rows wide. My only tool to keep weeds at bay is my riding lawn mower. I leave the plants as is for the winter. In spring before growth begins, I mow the whole thing down to about 3". Now weeds do not hinder harvesting for about 2 months. Once the plants again become ferns, I mow between the rows. Very few weeds grow in the rows. We hand weed a few bigger weeds. Very easy to care for this way.
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

March 1, 2013
10:41 PM

Post #9436173

I let them grow, sometimes transplanting them where I lost a crown or have a bare spot, sometimes when I have too many, I start another bed
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9436374

One asparagus crown keeps growing toward the front timber and you can see how it managed to grow right by the two pieces of almost joined wood. They grew, were harvested and were fine, as usual. This does show their determination to grow.

The next nice day will find me out there trying to remove a portion of the crown and giving it a home in a bare spot, just as Nancy does.

Thumbnail by pirl

Opa_In_Ga7b
La Grange, GA

March 5, 2013
8:54 PM

Post #9440235

[quote="pirl"]32 asparagus for a 5 x 5' bed is a lot. You might want to move half of them elsewhere. They do expand and that's what most gardeners dream about when they plant them. The alternative would be another 5 x 5' bed.[/quote]

glad to have read this thread...plan on ordering 25 roots of jersey knight and planned on putting them in a raised bed 4' x 6' which is about the same sq ft. guess i better research a little more? space is not a problem, just didn't calculate it right i guess. thanks
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9440444

We had 10 in a the garden of a former home (given to us by someone who couldn't fit all 25 he bought). I dug them up and planted them here. We could see within a year that they needed their own spot because they were already spreading and were in a flower garden. Jack built the 12' x 12' bed so we could add more and we did. They do expand, so expect it. That's what they're supposed to do.

This photo shows a typical plant in year 20. It takes up about 2 square feet. You can spot the white stubs left from those we had already enjoyed.

They are sold here in bands of 25 so we gave away some to a neighbor and she still has them along with some she allowed to grow from the type that have the red seed heads. They are not as good (to our taste) as the Jersey Giant.

Thumbnail by pirl

grits74571
Talihina, OK

March 6, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9441280

Saw some spears peeking up today But I think it be a bit early so a covered with some loose mulch we have been having low 20s for morning temps I will git it another week or so ..I have a new hugelkulture bed that I plan to plant with asparagas it is 3'x7' equals 21sq.ft. so does 16 crowns sound about right..

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9441877

Yay! Warmups movin north!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9442138

pirl
thanks for posting pictures of your asparagus bed.
Please keep posting pictures.
I am very interested on learning about growing asparagus and I learn the best just looking at pictures.
Thanks in advance.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9442170

Thanks, drthor. I'd be happy to show you more photos.

1. At some point you do stop picking asparagus to allow the fronds to grow and give the roots energy for next year. Some experts will say to only harvest for six weeks in spring. We've harvested until the end of June (sometimes until July 4th) but then you can be selective and just take the fattest spears. You can see how fast they grow here. We had picked before we left for vacation but the person who agreed to harvest forgot and they grew this tall in 7 days.

2. By August 8th this is how it looks. Three of our six compost bins are to the left in this photo.

3. The fronds have to go yellow, generally following a frost. Then they get cut back. This was our heaven sent Neri who worked for us in 2011.

4. A collage to show we laid new weed fabric together, Neri spread many bags of wood chips, and finally the asparagus garden was ready to sleep for the winter. Neri had laid down our own compost over each asparagus plant, a few inches thick. All the cut ferns go to the chipping pile and get turned into compost so nothing at all is wasted.

5. Sleep time. They love cold winter weather.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9442174

Perfect. Thanks so much.
That exactly what I needed to know and see.
I love your Foxgloves by the way. In my garden the self seed every year.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9442247

Glad I could be of help. The Foxgloves self-seed here as well, sometimes way too much. Had to remove a few hundred from another garden. They were 6' tall and had planted themselves at the front of a border.

The one thing I neglected to mention was the asparagus beetle. We've had it a few times but I didn't spray. I just cut the plants down and they went elsewhere.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl         

Solace

Solace
Monte Vista, CO
(Zone 4a)

March 7, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9442445

Wow, pirl, I wish we had green like that out west, here. It's high alpine desert here, but in the summer, it's good and dry. Good for people, bad for plants, lol. I tried to transplant some ancient non-producing Mary Washingtons into pots last fall in the greenhouse, but I don't think they survived. I'd rather have the all male ones for spears, but I have seen a 'Mary Washington improved' variety. Anyone grown that one?
Opa_In_Ga7b
La Grange, GA

March 7, 2013
9:08 PM

Post #9442452

thanks for sharing the pictures pirl

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9442624

wwwoooowww
My Foxgloves don't grow so tall in Dallas ...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9442655

Thanks, Solace and Opa.

Solace - my (now late) radio gardening guy used to say asparagus do not transplant well. Luckily for me, I moved mine before I ever heard him say it. Mine were kept in plastic grocery store bags so it's twice as amazing that they even survived. We haven't tried 'Mary Washington'.

Drthor - I'll try to remember to save some seeds for you this year. The lupine also grow very tall but haven't hit 6' yet.

Thumbnail by pirl

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9443324

Foxgloves like cooler conditions then TX usually offers.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9443560

pirl
I did try Lupine years ago when I was a new TX gardener ... I grew it like an annual here. But it never grew very tall.
I travel to Norway once a year for business and when I visited in September the roads are loaded with Lupine ... they are wild over there.

My Foxgloves are the "show-stop" of my spring garden.
I let them re-seed freely and they pop up a different location every year ... but they never grew as tall as yours.

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9443642

Your photos are so gorgeous, drthor, and I absolutely love the combinations of flowers with roses and clematis. They are all so beautiful.

The lupine grow wild in huge fields up in New Hampshire. When we visited it was hard to believe the beauty before us. Here's a link for anyone who wants to see just a bit of them: http://harmanscheese.com/Lupine%20Old.html

I'll try to save some of the tall digitalis seeds for you just to see if they'll grow taller for you. It's no loss if they don't. The lupine are never as tall as the digitalis but they're still remarkable in the gardens.

Thumbnail by pirl

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9443727

thanks
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9443730

My pleasure.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9444029

Blue Bonnets are lupines and that's TXs State Flower. They are annuals. I don't know about any other types except they are legumes so their roots produce nitrogen.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

March 10, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9444541

Rained all night here last night and 5 days of sunshine is in my forecast so I think by the end of the 5 days should get a good mess of Asparagas HOPE HOPE

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America