Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Tomatoes - Merced

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
barbararobison
Florence, TX

February 28, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9434860

Have been looking - desperately - for Merced tomato plants originally "made" by Texas A&M. Does anyone know where any can be found in Georgetown or Austin Texas. Thanks
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9441198

I was told to plant Celebrity Tomatoes in my area. My friend said this tomatoe did really good for her. So I planted some of those & added Beefsteak also.
barbararobison
Florence, TX

March 9, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9443726

Thanks! I have used Celebrity many times and they are great for Central Texas. Merced, though we're unbelievable - disease resistant and production was over the top! Sure wish I could find out if there any out there. The two years I planted them I put out 45-50 plants and used fish emulsion for fertilizer. I got 50 tomatoes a day for nearly the whole growing season. It was so wonderful and I got so spoiled that I want that success again. Ha!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9443950

Phoenix is touted as the ideal replacement for Merced. have not tried it myself. http://bonnieplants.com/products/new-for-2012/phoenix-tomato#sthash.6IhrkSAV.dpbs http://www.plantanswers.com/Articles/PHOENIX-The_2010_Rodeo_Tomato.asp
Jim41
Delhi, LA

March 12, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9447510

I've never tried Merced. The tomato I've had the most success with is Amelia. It is resistent to all the blights common to our area. It is very prolific and makes a pretty big tomato and has the best taste of the hy bred's I've tried. I picked 700 tomatoes the size of a soft ball off of twelve plants last year. I made a good top crop for a change last year and quit counting because they were a good bit smaller.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9447958

I grew Phoenix for two years in a row. Although it is a good producer, I did not find the flavor to my liking. I like Celebrity better. Or Tomade.

I've never tried Merced, but this thread caught my eye as I saw that tomato mentioned somewhere not too long ago. And for the life of me I cannot figure out where. If anyone does locate this seed I would also like to know if nothing else than to settle my mind regarding where I saw the mention. Now it is like a tune one cannot turn off in one's mind. =~/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America