Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Florida Gardening: Florida Chit Chat #8 Spring is Coming

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 199, Views: 1,578
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9434914

Welcome to our to our chat thread. Here we talk about almost everything under the sun.
Our plants and gardens and what is going on in our lives. If you have questions we will try to find answers for you.
Even if you live out of our Beautiful State you are also welcome to join ups

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292527/

Thumbnail by wren107
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9434922

Love love that camellia, Sandy. Do you know which one it is?

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9434928

Sorry no I took that picture over at the Mckay State Gardens in Tallahassee, Florida. I plan on trying to find out it's name and adding it to the picture. But I do know it is a extremely old one.

This one I toook at the Tallahassee Nursery.
Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9434938

Yum, just perfect. Looks like Im going to have to take a day trip next year during bloom season.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9434947

They are blooming now. They have camellia "tree" that are around 70 to 90 years old Another good place to see camellia is the National Camellia Gardens up near Fort Vally, Georgia. But it is best to call there to find out how the blooms are doing.

I get 2 nice bushes(see pictures below) at Tallahassee Nursery in January. That is when I took most of these pictures

Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107   Thumbnail by wren107         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9434954

Mine were/are in full bloom, then the freeze hit last week, now all the flowers are brown. I hope there are a few late buds left. The azealas are all brown too :-(. . They were blooming so nice too.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9434961

We where luckier up here but then we are usually warmer during the freezes that y'all down there are.

Y'all do not know how glad I am that I can come on line and actually be able to comment with out fighting with this computer. This stupid laptop has been a real pain for over 6 months.Then it crashed right ofter my surgery(which did not help) in January. And I spent all day watching the Geek Squad go online and fix it. Working wonderfully . Now if we can only get my health fixed. I will not bore you with all that but just say this year started off crappy.

Sandy

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2013
3:33 AM

Post #9435162

Good morning everyone

It is so wonderful that my laptop is now FIXED!!!! I have get caught up with all the threads that I was behind on.
Been fighting with this problem for over 6 months. Every one please be careful that you do not accidentally click on something that is called (if I remember the name right) "Sweet'em" it is very bad news and most anti-virus programs do not see it as a virus. Now if I could only get the old body fixed.

To catch up with what is going on in my yard. We (my yard guys mostly) are fixing up the yard. Some of the things work some do not. The walkways are fixed in front and we have 2 new flower beds added. One has winter flowers in it right now and the other has 'butterfly' host and nectar plants. Another bed has been redone and now is full of Fennel and parsley-come on Black Swallowtail butterflies. The 2 raised beds in front will need to be redone. But this time we will take our time. The lower one has a nice ground cover of Frog Fruit. (host plant for 3 kinds of butterflies.)
Now to get busy on the other raised bed.

Will that is enough for now the old fingers are not use to all this typing.

Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9435204

My yard is such a mess after the storms last weekend. Limbs and branches everywhere. I wish the weekend was going to be a bit warmer. I hope this is the last chance of a freeze, I want to get cleaned up and started on a new garden season.
My daylily seedling are coming along nicely tho. The warm winter is going to get me some first year scapes, and thats exciting. I think Im going to try to add a rose or two.

Off the subject...does anyone know how to kill off english ivy. Its really taken over most of the back and is really hard to dig thru to plant, plus it sufficates the new plants. Ive got a gazillion of those vines with the heart shapped leaves and thorns that get in everything and choke it out. I have tried for 13 years and they are worse than ever.

Off to look up frog fruit.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9435228

Frog Fruit is a common weed but it does make a nice ground cover. Host plant for White Peacock Butterfly
'Anartia jatrophae',Common Buckeye Butterfly 'Junonia coenia' and Phaon Crescent Butterfly 'Phyciodes phaon'

Sandy

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 1, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9435585

We moved on up to the East side, to a deluxe new thread in the sky-y-y... spirit of George Jefferson leave this body fortwith.

Thanks for the new thread, Wren107.

Sylvain

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9435594

LOL!!!!

you sound in good spirits!!!!

Sandy

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9435774

I have always liked that Camelia a lot Sandy. (I think I might have told you that in some thread somewhere?) It is special...

Just wanted to say I completely understand what you have been saying about time, downloads, dial up, and the rest...so...just wanted to say, "Hey! I'm here!

Frog fruit!...? That's one to research and sounds interesting...

I believe that awful vine you have is called Catbriar or Saw Greenbriar GG. (Smilax bona-nox)
If that is the case, the only way I have found to get rid of it is to dig down and get every bit of that sometimes huge potatolike root out wherever it is. I have actually had to dig down and almost had to unearth large Crape Myrtles and Azaleas to untwine those potatos from their roots...Good luck! Even a small piece of that root can regrow in time. Try to get the most you can of it out where important.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9435779

here is the full name Frog Fruit 'Lippia nodiflora'
http://www.butterfliesetc.com/frog-fruit-regular-butterfly-host-plant.html
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9436031

Sabdy,
Will the frog fruit spread? I have some empty spaces inside butterfly garden section. If it chokes out weeds I need it.
Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
3:01 AM

Post #9436206

Yes!! And you can mow it and keep it low. It does like moist soil but will grow well in other times of soil but not as fast. I will try to get some pot started to bring with me to the RU

Good morning everyone

Sandy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9436281

Thats it David...Greenbriar. I had brain freeze on that one. I used to call it potato vine, until I found out potato vine didnt have thorns. There is no way I coud dig up as many as I have, especially the ones I would have to dig thru all the Ivy. I think Im going to try to do 5 a day or something like that and just see if it eventually helps

As for the frog vine. I know it well. Altho I dont have any, I used to love that when I was litttle.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2013
5:49 AM

Post #9436282

I'd like to get a creeping ground cover for most of my back yard. I like the grass in the front, but want "less maintenance & more visual effect" in the back. Last year the back was 99% weed and I do NOT need that for this year.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9436358

Once you get the frog fruit thick it will smother out some of the smaller weeds.

I so love being able to use this laptop with out wanting to throw it across the room!!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9436749

David, just thought I would introduce myself. Been a member of DG for some 7-8 years. Has enriched my life beyond measure. Even after all this time I don't know ANY Latin names and don't intend to clutter my 71 year old mind trying to learn them. Ask me what is in my flower garden...well, the are some, some yellow, some purple, some red, some short, some tall plants. Not trying to be ornery, just too lazy I guess.

You will not meet a more wonderful group of people than these people. Seldom ever does anyone criticize, more like they would attempt to be of help with any kind of problem you are willing to share. The Garden Showcase is a new feature and I'm sure many don't even know it is there.
Creatures of habit, you know.

I "watch" multiple forums/threads and go for weeks with no comment but I lurk a lot. Depends on my "life situation" as to just how chatty I may be. Be careful when I decide to post because, as you see, don't know when to stop.

In a nutshell, please don't judge DG so quickly. We are all very giving and loving individuals whose lives are sometimes really heavy.

Welcome to one of the best places in the WWW.

Christi

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9436773

Christi is so right. wither I post or not depends on the state of this old body or the laptop. today the laptop is working great but the cold has get into my old joints.

So I am out of here for a bit.

Sandy
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9436794

Sandy, anxious to try that frog fruit. Sounds like it's just what I need cause in that bed I have to crawl around on all 4's to weed.
Worked outside most of today still chippig wood and sure was cold. The wind made it difficult as all the stuff blows right in your face even tho I wore safety glasses. Hopefully tomorrow will be the end of that job. Next step will be to mulch all flower beds with it.
I need a nice warm shower to thaw out.
Tomorrow night supposed to get real cold. Hope for the best for everybodys plants.
Bonnie

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9436801

Bonnie mine grows about 4 inches tall in the bed but it can be trimmed back.Out in the yard where it is mowed in hugs the ground. Only a few taller weeds come through. How thick does it grow? Some mint that I planted in the same bed is struggling to grow but some larger plants are fine. I started with 2 pieces that I dug out of the yard and it now covers a 8 by 8 bed and is starting to flow over the edges.

I watered the best I could

I really need to go now.

Good night everyone

Sandy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9436809

Ive got to go out and bring some plants in...I dont want to, Oh how I dont want to. Ill bring in more for tomorrow night, tomorrow.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9436835

Tommorrow night is the one I'm concerned about too GG and likely us all ... lets hope its over after this!

LouC,
Your words are very appreciated and thank you much. We will look forward to hearing from you again Christi...{:-)

Sandy,...The more I look at 'Frog Fruit' I am thinking it is something I have grown up with all my life,... and especially at Grandpa and Grandma's place in the country here. I am beleiving it is the same plant we old Florida Crackers called 'Matchsticks'. When they lose the ring of flowers around their edges they look like match sticks if it is the same plant. (like very tiny Cattails too)

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9436857

David yes it is. a very common weed but a very good one to grow.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2013
3:43 AM

Post #9437121

I think so too...What grass I have Ieft is the worst this time of year especially. On one side I have that creeping wandering jew with the tiny blue flowers trying to take over and its beautiful. If I could snap my fingers and have the whole grassy areas be only that for instance,...It would already be that way.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9437328

Hi, all.

We, too, are expecting dastardly cold nights tonight and tomorrow.

So, I'll play Noah today. I won't build a boat. I'll be saving 2 cuttings of each cultivar to replant my beds if a hard freeze should hit. What is it I am missing here? This whole mess is about global warming, not about freezing Florida.

Take care, everyone.
Sylvain
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9437335

It was above freezing when I got up this morning. I hope tonight stays a few degrees warmer than the forecast, cuz Im not bringing everything in again. Im tired of it.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9437361

I have a pile of old trash cans that are perfect for up ending over plants a/way from the house. Those close to the house & fence are protected. 2 weeks ago some of my more tender plants got a bit nipped and most of those already have new growth coming out.

Got a chuckle at Church this AM with the women in HEAVY winter coats. Told them I must still have some northern blood in my veins. Even in MD I never had coats as heavy as what they were wearing!!!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9437528

Don't you think it feels colder because of the dampness? I had a friend from Alaska who told me he had never felt as cold up there as he did in SC. I was in the NC mountains last week and was comfortably wearing just a fleece vest. It is 20 degrees warmer down here and I am in thermal undies when I walk the dog on the chilly mornings. LOL

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9437585

I don't think you will need to worry too much about a hard freeze in Delray tonight Sylvain! Way up here in DeLand we are just facing it, so you should be O.K...
You are lucky in Gainesville to have had those temps last night GG! We got down to 32 here in DeLand according to my yards thermometer. Tonight is the one I'm hustling for... I hate last minute surprises too...March?!!!
You have expressed all the thoughts I have had too Qwilter on this last minute freeze thing,...and the Winter coat story was fun! {:-)
Ha! I think there are serious truths in what you have just said Alice... "Down to the Bones it is!"

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9437595

I only get down to 40 here on top of my tiny hill, but then I am not far from water. We are usually 10 to 15 degrees warmer in this tiny area than it is on the west side of the river

Ours is a different kind of cold I think I cold is wetter if that makes sense. My dad was a seebee in the Navy and he served up in Alaska, he said they sometimes ran around in tee shirts but when he came home it felt a lot colder.
flaflwrgrl
North Central , FL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9437923

I agree; the dampness makes cold a lot colder (as well as a lot hotter when it's summer). When I got up this morn. (before 7) it was 38 & they had predicted 31. They always predict colder than we get here. Tonight is supposed to be 25 but I'll eat my hat if it goes that low.
It's 37.9 here now & really nice outside. But there is no wind & the humidity hasn't yet risen.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2013
3:40 AM

Post #9438055

I just stepped outside and my thermometer is reading 29. After coming all this way this Winter and everything growing like they are...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
3:47 AM

Post #9438060

David - head north - 35 here!!!!! 48 inside the GH!!!!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2013
4:04 AM

Post #9438067

Good morning

I am at 39 degrees but the News says it is 30 degrees
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
4:20 AM

Post #9438076

It is 37 here this morning, what strange weather.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9438092

You made me thing about my little GH too Qwilter, so I grabbed the camera and snapped a pic. It was at 55 inside there and all I use is a small electric oscillating tower heater. Even when we had those hard freezes a couple of years ago that took us down to the low 20's this little heater kept the GG at 50. It was a great buy for only 29 dollars!

Temperature differences and weather are an enigma to me sometimes. It is also amazing that one patch of Canna's is toast and right next to the ones that are toast are some that seem uneffected. New growth on one Hibiscus fried and 10 ft. away another is unscathed?...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9438116

micro climates. I have a number of them.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9438117

David - nice looking tomatoes. I had to sacrifice mine to use the GH for my Orchids & other tender plants when the sun porch was not finished. Next year I hope to use the walk in GH for tomatoes, the cold frame for the lettuce, spinach, & other low growing crops, and the GH with just shelves all year for getting seed going.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9438170

It was 33 at 6 this morning when I got up, but dropped 6 degrees by 8. Sun is shining full blast so I hope that warms things up. I didnt take much in, not much at all. Took the trash out front, as its pick up day. It IS cold, right now. Expecting a great day tho, plan to work some outside.

David, I had that random freeze damage with my geraniums.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9438669

Today is incredible. When I was looking at the oaks behind the house looking all Spring today,... it made me believe that this last minute March 3rd frost will be the last of our Winter...

I would like very much to see pics from any of you of your early Spring favorite pic's too!...

For all the mess Oaks make, they sure make me proud to have them in Spring!

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 4, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9438673

Dampness???? Where where where??? Can't wait to get back to Marco and at least some salt air!!! Ocala has been cold!!! 19% humidity today!
Two weeks to home and then a 10 day cruise--time for rejuvenation!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9438846

Sorry to much dead do to the freeze before this one
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9438853

Our oaks in gainesville havent quite broke into the spring green phase yet.

What we do have a ton of this year, is hawks. Hawks everywhere and I took the birdfeeder down today. Pretty birds, but they need to go eat someplace else. Ill feed my birds on the ground, under the bushes. Yes, the squirrels get it too, but at least the birds have a chance.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9438871

Around here the only birds the hawks target is the Rock Dove(City Pigeons) and I would like to see less of them.

I saw a young Bald Eagle when I went to get my pills this afternoon. Sitting on top of a telephone pole watching the traffic.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9438881

Got up at midnight last night and it was 26 so just ran back to bed and got under the warm covers and figured I'd hope for the best. My oaks have finally finished dropping the blooms which clogged up my pond skimmers awful. Was scooping those things out twice a day to keep water flowing into skimmer that houses the pumps. Husb. has made several inventions to stop it but somehow they get through and clog water flow. The oaks all have new leaves on them now and our beautiful. They are my favorite tree even tho they are messy. I have 2 young weeping willows alongside of larger pond and I'm hoping they aren't dead from cold. Can't tell yet as no putting out of leafs. Pond water temp this morning was 30 but so far no fish floating bellyup. They sure were hugging the bottom and not interested in feeding. I don't feed lower than 50 degrees water temp. Their digestive systems quit at 50.
I usually don't do any pruning until after March. I hope David is right and no more freezing temps. Haven't checked all the plants I have growing for RU they are in my husb. workshop. There in back of Gator so I drive them out in the morning and in again at night. Sort of a portable greenhouse. BTS would love to have a greenhouse. Thats another one of those someday projects.
Take care all and keep warm. Soon we will be sweating and complaining about that.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9438882

Wonderful Wren. I've never seen an eagle live and sure would like to.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9438885

There are a number of nesting ones up here around Jacksonville. I am only about 15 minutes from down town and I have seen a number of them.
I would say that this one was about 2 years old. Way to big for a hawk. Was hoping it was a Golden Eagle but they are very rare in Florida.

Bonnie you could easily build a greenhouse using PVC pipes.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9438934

These (and some are bolting,...seeds for next year!) lettuces in the box froze rock hard by last morning. I never cover any of the greens family during freezes and they amaze me. They prove themselves for Winter gardening to me!

I was laying on my back on the grass less then two weeks ago and watching the layers of hawks at different heights soaring without one touch of movement in their wings effortlessly. The sky was as clear as glass that day. I was wishing I could do that...
You sound well Debi. Rejuvenate and grow!

This message was edited Mar 4, 2013 9:15 PM

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2013

Post #9439926

Hey, Dave, is that a loquat in front of your oak tree? I have one that is now taller than the house. This will be the second year it has produced. Neighbors are just waiting for the fruit...if the birds and squirrels don't get it first.

Christi
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9439952

"Hi" across the miles, Christi - how ARE YOU, my Friend?!!!!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9439988

Yes it is Christi...Mine is only 2 years in the ground and am looking forward to this years fruits...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9439993

Some people consider them kinda junk trees. They are one of my very favorite. Love the dark green leaves against the orange kwats. I also like the free form kinda shape.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9440098

I have about 20 saplings in my front flower bed, under a monster Magnolia tree. The mother Loquat tree is in my front yard and the squirrels like to sit and eat the fruit in the Magnolia tree, dropping the seeds into the flower bed. I need to dig them out before they get much bigger - hope I can find someone to take them off my hands!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9440987

Hi, Kay. Sure am glad this winter is coming to a close. However, here in my territory it has been rather mild. In December we had record breaking snow...not much of anything since. A few hours here and there of below freezing at night.

You are still on my "bucket list" Kay.

Hey, just telling DH about our internet friendship and he wants to plan a trip to go see you! Hip,Hip, Hooray.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9441017

LouC let us know when y'all are coming. There are a lot of great places to see in Florida

Sandy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
2:07 PM

Post #9441030

Got my first daylily order of the year. Got them all happily in their new home. Funny how when you pay some big bucks for plants, what a better job you do planting them and making sure they are happy. ;-)
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9441036

Hi, all. Bopping into the library to get online for a few minutes and catch up on this thread. I don't usually go to other Forums on DG, other than Plant Files.

We are planning to get Internet service at home soon. We have a former roommate returning after his girlfriend died and her house will be taken over by her son later in the year. Our former/future roommate is a computer wizard and is currently working for Comcast. He works from home, so we want to get back online at home before he is ready to move in.

I had hit and miss freeze damage to plants in my yard, depending on location. It really makes a big difference if plants are grown under a large old oak or are up close to a building, under an eave, or even underneath overhanging vines.

Greenbriar/Cow Itch Vine/Smilax can be killed off (according to my current endeavors) by continually snipping off the vines at ground level. The roots will be eventually starved for nourishment and will die (that's my theory and I'm sticking to it! LOL) I have seriously contemplated selling the ugly, convoluted, warty Smilax tubers online as Star Trek "Klingon Love Herbs," but I haven't yet gotten around to potting up any of the Smilax for that ruse. The roots seem to die off also when they are exposed to sunlight and air, so if you can't dig them out completely, just scraping off the soil above the tuber may be enough to kill them.

1st Wednesday (of each month) Art Walk is tonight. I will probably go see the show at the Jacksonville Contemporary Art Museum next door to the library. The museum offers free admission on Art Walk Wednesdays. If you are in the area surrounding Jacksonville, you might enjoy coming into town for the first Wednesday Art Walk events. Downtown is, for one night, transformed into a bustling crowd of pedestrians going to see artwork by local artists in dozens of venues, enjoying street musicians, as well as ducking into bars for drinks. All the other nights, downtown is a no-man's ghost town for the most part. St. Augustine has a similar event, but I think it is held on the first Friday of each month.

Jeremy
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9441043

I forgot to mention -- if anyone wants rocks for ponds, waterfalls, etc., I have plenty of them to give away. They are mostly coquina/sedimentary rocks (some may contain fossils), but there are a few nice big chunks of pink granite/marble and a few pieces of pumice. My brother collected rocks and piled them into our family home front yard in configurations that my Mom described as "Indian graves." There are several piles to be plundered, along with rocks placed around the borders of flowerbeds. My Mom and Brother are both deceased, and another brother that is taking ownership of the family home as a vacation home doesn't want the rocks. I hope to get over to the family home in the next few days to get some photos of the rocks to give a better idea of their quality/quantity. But if anyone is interested, just Dmail me and I will give you the location and plan to meet you at the site. We have checked around with a few landscaping places to see if they will buy rocks, but most of them have business suppliers and are not interested. If you can find a place to sell them, go for it!

Jeremy

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9441082

Jeremy Glad to hear from you.

Sandy

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2013

Post #9441093

Gotta love the Loquats myself. Grandma used to yell at me every Spring as I climbed up in her enormous old one in Ormond Beach as a child. (I was the oldest and best tree climber and was shaking and throwing them down to the other kids ) "Get right out of that tree right now David before you kill yourself!!!"...she would say as I played Tarzan and grabbed a branch and dropped to the ground... "Don't ever let me see you do that again David Paul,...Do you here ME!!!" HaHaHa...Grandma was the best!
"Star Trek Klingon Love herbs for sale!!!" Gotta love that one Jeremy! That was genious...HaHaHaHaHa!

The rock offer is really nice. I have no doubts someone will snap them up. Thank you.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
3:34 PM

Post #9441102

Great great memory David. Thats what life's about. Dont how I would make it thru the bad times if the ole memory did have some good ones to rely on.

Hello hello Jeremy, sorry I missed you. Sounds like things might be moving a good direction for you. Good news. Hope you are enjoying the museum as i type.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
9:00 PM

Post #9441440

Jeremy what is this vine. The leaves sorta looks like my Bleeding Heart, but I believe I got it at Fairchilds Spring sale.
Anyhow I has arisen from the dirt and got sucker punched by a very light chill.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 7, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9441881

Hi, all.

Jeremy, I always get such a kick reading your posts. Klingon love herb. You shameless Ferenghi, you ! One of the Rules of Acquisition clearly states that when buyer and seller agree on a description and price, the Great River of Commerce flows. It beats the heck out of my Romulan marital aid plant, which turned out to be digitalis purpurea. Briskly rub some o' those leaves on them there nether regions of yours and see if your heart doesn't start a-racing. Results may vary by individuals. Don't get me started on cautionary statements and disclaimers.

We should start a web site called www.anythingforafewbucks.com .

Take care, everyone.
Sylvain
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9442322

Oh my. Were Pu'ole and Jeremy each would post more often, life would be great. I love both of you guys.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 7, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9442370

I love you too, Princess K

Aloha,
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9442673

Sidney, it looks like the bleeding heart vine to me, too.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9442943

My nose alerted me. Yesterday-today-tomorrow plant blooming and happy. Love these and this one finally has found a spot in the yard it likes. Looks like I needed a white umbrella to block the sun, but you get the idea.

My bush with these blue/ish camellias is just about bloomed out.

Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory         

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9443649

I'm just posting so I don't lose the thread...I'll never catch up again.

Gardenglory we were camping in Micanopy at Payne's Prairie, it was cold the whole time, real cold, but we had a fire that the men were proud of, they even chopped all the wood, kept us nice and warm.

Love all the camellia photos everyone.

David I'm so loving your garden greenhouse.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9444032

Gardenglory,
My YTT are blooming also. I love the fragrance and they are beautiful. To me anything that blooms is a blessing.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9444188

My first thought was Rangoon Creeper or Sky Vine (or another Thunbergia) Sidney, but then I realized the leaves did not have the serration for those it seemed...Hence no comment! Amaryllis might have had the right answer? Wish I could have helped.
The Camellia you pictured is beautiful GG! Is it like the Blue Chiffon Rose of Sharon,...and only gets the blueish tinges as the flower is fading or does it come out that way? Anyway, it looks great...
It's only a small 10x12 hobby type greenhouse Sunkissed. The good thing is it is also 12 ft.tall though. I allows me to be able to hang a few things here and there and run a couple of shelves across the support rafters with the central pitch to set some things on. It has become an asset and indispensible though in the last couple few years especially in Winter. Thank you.
Always good hearing from you Bonnie and just saying hey since you were the last to say hey!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9444573

http://pinterest.com/pin/4151824628802757/

I saw this on pintrest this morning. I had never seen one, but would almost consider moving to be able to have them. Im guessing it smells delicious too!
If we got to come back as plants, this is what I would want to be ;-)

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9444581

Isn't that lovely GG, I re-pinned it. but I have no more room in my small garden for a tree...and I don't think wisteria does well here anyway.

Sidney that vine does look like my bleeding heart, or Thunbergia battiscombei, blue clock vine. Mine are right next to each other and can confuse me which is which when they're first coming up.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9444587

They do grow in Florida.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9444596

I meant in Central Florida, I've seen beautiful expample of Wisteria from Ocala up, but not too much around central Florida. I tried to grow American Wisteria once, made it about two years and then died off. Maybe we get too hot here.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9444607

I think it might have been to dry

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9444616

That was a great Wisteria Pic! I have rarely seen the white...My Dad has a huge one climbing an old Oak Tree in Ormond but it is the purple and not nearly as striking as this one...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9444666

We have the purple here in gainesville, just like we have dogwoods. Compared to what these things look like a bit farther north, we really just 'kinda' have them.
We had the white when living in Va., but it was just like the purple, but white. The ones in the picture are so long and a bit thinner. I wish I knew where that picture was taken. It seems there was azeleas in the picture, Ill have to go back and look. If so, that cant be too far north.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9444740

I do know I have seen them at Tallahassee Nursery and at Just Fruits and Exotics

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9444750

Speaking of Azaleas,...I just snapped these pics this morning of the ones on my East side. It is really shady over there compared to my super Sunny full Southern front. These were just pretty and thought I'd share them as they will be gone in a couple of weeks as we all know...Snap those pictures now of early Spring! It would be fun to see some other 'Florida Gardeners' early Spring Azaleas and flower pic's too!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand         

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9444826

Lovely Azaleas. I do not grow any of them. My yard is in the growing stage, flowers will be later. I am planting for the 3 B's-Bees, Butterflies and Birds

Sandy
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9444970

Got my small tomato plants moved into bigger pots this afternoon. They are now happily tucked in the GH, with the door open, for protection from the squirrels.

Purchased a mix of lawn grass seed & hope to get the front raked & grass seed down tomorrow. The front is the only grass I have. Front is too large to have all garden out front so the grass fills in large areas nicely. Hopefully if I can get the grass going, it will hold back the weeds I ended up with last year.

This weather is just wonderful. Hard to believe, next month I'll have been down here 1 year.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9445037

Sandy, the hummers and the bumble bees are loving the azaleas right now. I try and have something in bloom 12 months of the year for them.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9445060

Thank you Sandy. I believe in the 3 B's gardens too.!

Glad to hear you are moving along into Spring Qwilter...I well remember the "first year garden" from here almost 5 years ago now. It only takes a couple of years to start turning a garden around. I would love to see pictures of yours to see the developments after a season or two or,... 20. (I have been here now 5 years or 20 seasons!)...and it is wonderful weather.

Beach Sunflower is a no fuss native that needs no care at all in Summer once easily established. It can be hedged and 1 plant can create a flower garden by itself if planted in a dead patch of grass. (radiating out in a circle 6-8 feet round. They will forever take the heat and drought of Summer, and in August bloom more then ever, with Daisy like flowers on a ground growing true Sunflower! (While all else is fading...)... Whew! 'Helianthus dibilis'.

I hedge them like any other groundcover or actual hedge with hedgers where neccessary.

These are how we used them in May 2011. Once you have them they are yours to move or shape any way you like forever and are more faithful then Gaillardia year after year!

This message was edited Mar 10, 2013 7:14 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9445109

My azaleas are done flowering now, just a few flowers left, they were at peak when we had the first freeze in mid. Feb. and many of the flowers got zapped. They started blooming in mid January this year, much earlier than normal. Mine were against the house when we bought it over twenty years ago and I moved them to the far back fence when we expanded our porch. The bees do love the flowers.

David your beach sunflowers are nice as an easement. I see a house not too far from here that has a very established easement of beach sunflower and always admire it as I'm driving by. Lots of it at the beach we frequent (Flagler Beach). You sure have a nice garden.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9445129

I need to look for those sunflowers.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9445159

I just get 2. I bought them from Maggie's Herb Farm 11400 County Road 13 St Augustine. Along with a lot of other plants.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9445183

Thank you Sunkissed,...and Flagler Beach was one of my favorite beaches to haunt back in my younger days most of the Summer!
You won't be let down Qwilter and Wren...

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2013
6:59 PM

Post #9445223

nope I know a lot of great nurseries. I just wish I would not spend so much money every time I go. I have spend almost a hundred dollars each of the last 2 time I went to Maggie's It does not help that I pass there every time I go to my Uncles place.

I am slowly getting rid of the grass. We should start putting in the raised beds on the north side yard next month. there is a Water Oak right on the other side of the fence and there is no way we are going to be able to dig in that root mass-so raised beds it it. It is a work in progress. The bed for the Black Swallowtails is growing great all ready for the caterpillars.

I have to look for long flowering plants for all the bees and butterflies. I had over 8 pollinators last summer. I have a native bee house, only a few used the straws last you but am hoping for a better score this year
I have already get my yard registered as a Wildlife habitat and a S.H.A.R.E Habitat http://www.pollinator.org/

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9445571

Sandy thanks for the website. I'd love to see pictures of your work in progress, and your bee house. I hope you're coming to the round up, would love to hear more.

I found some Gaillardia pulchella growing wild not to far from here a few years back and dug a small bit up and planted it by my mail box, and now have it popping up all over my front easement, my plan is to let it and other native flowers take over the easement. The husband is always too happy to oblige when I tell him not to mow. I don't want to irrigate it anymore.

The only grass I have left is in my front yard and it is my challenge this year to rid of it. All I have out there is a huge clump of azaleas under a live oak. Previous owners planted them there under a line of turkey oaks that were wiped out by hurricane Andrew, and the only thing that survived is one live oak in the middle. So I know the ground is full of roots and it is a hill to boot. Grass doesn't grow well anyway with our water restrictions and code enforcement with nothing to do all day but write tickets.

My plant is more Xeriscaping in the front yard, but still three B's friendly, yet another challenge.

-Sherri

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9445591

I have no grass out back anymore either. Mainly because of the dogs. Im trying to make some paths thru different areas I want to plant, but Im on my last nerve with the sand. This time of the year, I pick up peoples bagged leaves from the side of the road to try to cover it up, but that only last so long. The dogs roll in it, it gets all in my shoes when out and we all bring it inside. Its and endless mess. I hope to have saved enough $$$ to get some sidewalks put in where I walk the most. My pavers that were once flat, are now an obstacle course. I love love a nice bit of grass, its just to expensive, and too much work to make it fesible to put out back again.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9446174

Sounds like you have a good handle on your gardens Wren. I agree with Sherri. Send us some pic's so we can share in your progress;... That really does make it more fun to share!
It always amazes me how the Gaillardia does its comeback thing in Spring Sherri. Beautiful in early Spring till about July 4th in my yard. It finally gets so downright shabby by then for me that it has done its thing and is tired. Out it comes;...yet it has shared itself again with me every new Spring!

The Beach Sunflower is the one that is my favorite though. It will keep coloring up an area from Spring into the 'Dog Days' and be at its very greenest and best in August, September, and October. It does an incredible December, January, and February job to unless a hard freeze. Believe. They prefer plain Florida sand and no amendments or extra fertilizer...
GG,
I use leaves all the time and have found they really lock in and stay in place more,... if I blow them on the driveway and run the lawnmower over them a few times. I then use them as mulch that stays in place well. It looks great too. That is what you see as mulch on the pictures I have sent on 'Spring 2013 garden start" thread,...and across from the straw mulched bed. Acid loving plants Love it especially. Most of my beds are mulched with these. A little lime around somes things like the Figs is good for plants that like a more neutral or alkaline soil,...and even so,...it has worked for me and is cost effective! (Attractive too.)

This message was edited Mar 11, 2013 7:57 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9449378

Was a bit brisk out this AM but we got 2 gardens tilled & raked, roots pulled up. Was nice to do all that work & not break a sweat. Gardening gloves kept the fingers warm. Now to get a load of top soil & start gathering plants.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9449542

It was brisk and beautiful today Qwilter,

Who can believe this cold warning again for tonight in mid-March?...still moving a few things back in just in case too... Winter move over!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9449563

I was out again today as well. My back is really unhappy. Im still just on daylilies, I think I have two more days of it, and then the rest of the yard needs lots of attention. The pool is a mess with all this pollen, but it might be a few weekends till we get to that. I so wanted to have everything done by Easter, but that isnt going to happen. Im really trying to beat those giant mosquitos, or even the regular ones, that we are suppose to have this year. I want to only have to round-up, spray, and water, come summer.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9449569

The no-seums are here!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9449600

If I lost a couple of pounds or ten my back would be better too GG... Ha! (or 20!)
Kay,
You are too funny!... Send us some pic's of what you're up to up there in Panama city!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9449642

Here ya go, David - read all about them:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg102

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9449664

Pictures of your gardens Kay!...

...not Mosquito info.!!! HaHaHa! Are you telling me Panama City is all about lots of Mosquito's?

You made me smile!...{:-)---Ha!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
3:48 AM

Post #9449916

Mosquitoes are a mere annoyance compared to the no see ums. The little cannibals are here too Kay. The article mentions they are just a hot weather pest. We find they prefer the spring and fall, whenever the weather is perfect for us humans. When it gets too hot during the summer they disappear.

DeLand may be too far inland for no see ums to be much of a problem.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2013 7:44 AM

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9449953

I actually had to go reread that article because I had never heard of them before called that, even thought born and raised here! I wonder if we always called them 'gnats' wrongly. Glad to say we don't have them here (knock on wood) Thanks for sharing Kay,...and now I know!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9449965

Good morning everyone----who left the freezer door open???

Thankfully the no-see-ums are rare around here now.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9449979

Yeah your right Sandy...We were on the edge of frost here but looks like we got through by the skin of our teeth...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
6:04 AM

Post #9450020

I'm going on an "Air potato" hunt this AM. The one who collects the most wins a home baked cake!!!
Tomorrow AM A group of us are doing yard work for a disabled woman from Church. I love pulling weeds when you can yank them up by the hand full - little effort & BIG results. It is the 1 every here & there that I don't like doing!!!!
Then going to the dirt place to see about getting some delivered next Mon. It is next to Lowes so I know I'll be pulled in to look at the plants they have on Sale!!!! The new Lowes magazine has some neat gardening ideas that I'm going to build.

Haven't seen Johnny posting recently. Wonder if he got any Angel Trumpets started... You out there Johnny????? I'm happy to see mine has new leaves coming out after the frosting it took a few weeks ago.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9450063

I was going out to plant some bananas I dug up up yesterday, very chilly. Instead, Im watching the funniest thing on HSN. Its an electric tiller...right. To demo it, they are standing on grass with a little box of mix. Clearly, they are not going at the grass, something we would need it for, they are making a big deal out of it tilling the mix. Silly. I have a decent size troy built tiller, and its still work.

I think Im going to dig some greenbriars, Jean and I can compare.

David, I hear the lbs's and the back. My husband is so bothered by the gnats. Better than the no see ums tho. One bites..one just annoys.
The mosquitos tear me up. Dont bother my husband.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9450244

Temps climbing fast

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9450552

Did you win the cake Q? Ha!,...and hope you found some fun finds at Lowes.
Electric can be O.K. sometimes GG! My little electric Troybilt was and is the same one I have been using for the almost 5 years I have been here and has been invaluable for tearing out grass and beds!
I know about what your saying with adds too though... "Like the guy that sells 'Blue Chiffon' Rose of Sharons on QVC,... It is so obvious to me that the blue bushes on the set are loaded with blue silk flowers. ( anyone who knows these knows about the blue thing. They turn blue when the flower is finished,... Ha!"

They do that a lot I think...

Yeah,... your right again Sandy,...and lets hope it stays that way!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9450595

Fig tree leaves are coming out, need to go check the pecan tree!!! The bugs I saw yesterday where turning green.

Sandy

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9450617

This Fig was transplanted from the back in January because it was too shaded by a big old Oak. I had doubts it would make it,... but it did!

Just took these pic's of it today...

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9450639

No leaves on my Pecan tree yet.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9450669

Soon!!! Our remaining pecan tree is over 50+ years old but this one has never produced good nuts but we keep it for the shade.

Our Fig tree is over 55 years old. And we have never liked figs!! My father planted a cutting from his mothers fig tree and it was over 50 years old. The neighbors and the wild life get the figs.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9450772

I was thinking more about the electric tiller in some sort of ground from hell where I lived in Va. for a couple years. CLAY. What the heck is with that 'stuff' YUK Certainly a blow from fl. gardening.

Phillip, he has sold for cottage farms on QVC so long. I laugh at the silk flowers myself. They used to not do that. Being a daylily person, Im particularly ammused when he sells them.

I just ordered some 3 in 1 butterfly bushes (starts), from a co-op. They were selling the same plant on QVC the other day, boy I hope mine will eventually look like that...silk or not. ;-)

Thats really neat about the old trees. Thats alot of figs in 55 years. Ive never been a fresh fig eater either, had some chicken the other night tho, and the sauce had fig preserves. YUUUUUUUUM.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9450864

We have a Southern Grape vine that is about the same age. I tell the neighbors they can pick what is outside the fence as long as they are careful not to damage either one.(the grape vine is on the fence and the fig tree is planted right next to the fence)

Good night

Sandy and Andre
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
4:41 AM

Post #9451022

Sorry been off thread for a while. All of sudden my bus. has picked back up. Some work for the RU won't get done I'm sure but it will still be fun.

BTW does anyone know where I can buy one of the Japanese wisteria. I have a purple on one side of a tall pergola that has finally started blooming well but one on other side has been planted for 4 years and its only about 2 feet tall. Would like something that would take off and grow to top of pergola. I was warned against the Japanese being invasive but that doesn't really matter where I want to put it. Love those long hanging blooms. Have never seen any like it around here and I like different. I think it was Sunkissed that mentioned wisteria don't grow well here in central Fl. I've seen plenty around where I am. Mine has just been slow growing but now its up top of pergola which is at least 10 feet high.
You will see it when you come over cause its over the front gates into my yard. Husb. built it high enough to get 20 yd. dump truck thru there cause he said he never knows what I might want delievered to gardens out front. He also has to be able to get his tractor under it.
We also get those no-se-ums here during the summer. I spray my gardening hat and it helps.
All for now. My first day around home this week and got tons to do or try to. Happy gardening all.
David, appreciate seeing your lovely garden pictures.
Bonnie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9451252

A crew of us just spent the AM cleaning up the yard of a woman who has been ill. What beautiful gardens she has and a large Koi pond. Not only did we have a good time, I came home with clumps of Iris, 2 huge sunflower vine roots, and some ivy and some old wicker furniture that will look nice out in the garden with plants climbing all over it.

Started off wearing t-shirt, long sleeve T, and a fleece jacket. Layers were shed as the day warmed up. Needed to stop at HD on the way home but I was too filthy even for that!!!!

So a shower, then off to Ace & HD then back home to work in my yard. Sure hope we get the rain they are predicting for a few days next week.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9451291

That was really a nice thing to do Jean. Good for you all. I got darned hot out this morning too.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2013 1:17 PM

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9452186

Been listening in and it all sounds good! So just plain old "Health, Happy Gardening and keep up the good works!"

David

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9452228

Bonnie Lukas Nursery www.lukasnursery.com, had wisteria the other day when I was there, not sure if it was Japanese, but you can call them, they were floweing.

I went to the plant show at Leu Garden's yesterday with a friend. We actually found some nice little plants there. The garden's were lovely and didn't get damaged as much this year by the cold temps. I want to go back when not so crowded and walk around again.

Some plants I got while there:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55240/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62195/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51474/
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9452357

Got the front mowed, it was mostly leaves. Got them spread around the azealas. I know my neighbors are happy about seeing grass here again. Fixing to sit down and watch the Gators 'take it' to ole miss and win the SEC championship. Then, back out to fertilize daylilies and preen back there.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9452428

I have all three of those plants Sunkissed.

I am really happy that you sent those files though, because I have been wondering for a couple of years what the first one was,...and now I know!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9452432

Gators are sucking wind, wasting my garden time :-O. Off to mix up some spray and grow.

Nice plants, I dont have the first one. Very cool.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9452482

I've been re-routing my stepping stones since the sun porch is done. The door of the screen porch was on the other side. And have to join the back cement pad to the sunporch door. Eventually we want to have a patio but for now, just stepping stones.

Break is over so I'm heading back out...

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
10:28 PM

Post #9453077

Beware of that "Daisy vine" Jean. It will take over everything.
Bonnie I think your first plant listed is cousin to Brugmansia.
My plant isn't Bleeding Heart, but does have an orange, red cluster flowers.
I have that dang Bleeding Heart all over in Jax.
Sidney
Edited to say Sunkissed's first plant instead of Bonnies.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2013 8:14 AM
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9453152

Can you post a picture of the 'sunflower vine'?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9453629

Sidney - I have a huge section of naked backyard it is welcome to take over!!!!!!

Just a vine with yellow daisy looking flowers all over.
amygirl
Miami, FL

March 19, 2013
2:34 AM

Post #9454355

I am not sure if any of the regular visitors to this discussion live far south enough to be interested, but here is a link to information about Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden's Spring Plant Sale:

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcollections/2013-Spring-Plant-Sale/

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 19, 2013
4:33 AM

Post #9454397

I love the events at Fairchild, but the crowds... worse than the Tokyo subway at rush hour.

I don't suffer crowds gladly anymore. I'm getting old, I guess.

Sylvain

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9454420

Good morning everyone

Sylvain I am with you about the crowds.

Sandy
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9454467

The rain has started here. Nice & gentle so far. I got the front yard raked & mowed yesterday but ran out of energy before I could get grass seed on the bare spots. And the new plants never got in the ground. I did refill the finch feeder - those little guys sure eat a lot. If rain stops, I can get grass seed out later. If not, there is always tomorrow.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
9:01 PM

Post #9455455

Sure wish we would get some rain here. We really need it.
Q. have you seen the purple and red headed finches? They are really beautiful. Most of mine are the yellow bellied ones but this one was out on the feeder today and really caught my eye. Had to look him up in the bird book cause I had never seen one before.

OK its midnight so I'm off to bed. Made a to-do list and its scary but I keep at it.

Bonnie
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2013
3:27 AM

Post #9455517

Happy FIRST DAY OF SPRING, everyone!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
3:42 AM

Post #9455521

I know I have finches of many different colors. The yellow ones are the ones that "pop".
Got my top soil late yesterday afternoon so I know what I'll be taking care of today. For once I'll be glad it's in the 60s and not 80 & sunny!!!!!

Have a pile of roots that I have to get in the ground today.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9455632

Good morning everyone

Bonnie your purple finch is a House Finch. Rarely do we get the Purple Finch down here. Yes there is one called Purple Finch

Sandy

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9455635

Spring and Finches... Things are looking up!

This message was edited Mar 20, 2013 4:44 PM

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9455657

And I opened the windows!!!!!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 20, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9455793

Hi.

I got some water lilies last fall. They were in dire need of being divided. The person who sent them to me said to wait until Spring. So, I'll divide them today, or tomorrow.

Have a great Spring, everyone.
Sylvain
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9456016

1st day of Spring is sure chilly up here!!!! Too be even COLDER the next 3 days. Maybe I'll find time to get out and spread all my new top soil.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9456134

It had better NOT get too cold - all my plants are out of the greenhouse!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9456190

We got a nice thunder storm this morning and right after that my husband finished the gutter work into the rain barrel. Oh well, at least it is done and ready for the next rain storm. ☺

I still have my clear tarps rolled up around my easy up to let down for my makeshift greenhouse if it freezes, however a wren has made a nest in the corner now and I can't disturb them. So it can't freeze anymore.
RetiredFlorida
Tarpon Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9456192

Kay, they're predicting 41 up near Gainesville for tonight.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9456304

We got a wonderful thunder storm this morning also and got 1/2" of rain. It's looking dark and cloudy so I'm hoping for more rain. What a blessing. Plants will be happy.

Quilter you are getting so much done you should be proud of yourself. Look forward to seeing you again at RU.

Sadly, Sandy and Linda are having health problems and can't make this one. Sandy has had a heck of a time with her knee. Hopefully she will be better by the time of a fall RU. I sure will miss those gals.

Happy gardening all.
Bonnie

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9456787

Brrrr, kind of cool and windy out. We got another 1/2 inch of rain last evening, maybe more the rain gauge was knocked a slight bit over by squirrels no doubt, because I swear it rained much more last night than it did in the morning. The rain barrel is 2/3 full.
They say down to 46 tonight, but my gut thinks maybe a bit lower.

Sorry to hear some aren't making the RU, I was looking forward to meeting up with you all. Hope everybody gets to feeling better real soon.

-Sherri

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9456798

I really hate not being able to come. But the knee is very painful and driving, walking and sitting with it hanging makes it worse.Hopefully the knee will be better by fall.

Our pecan tree is putting out it's leaves so spring is springing.

Sandy
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9456927

Just spread 2+ cu/yds of top soil & planted my baby tree. That is enough for 1 day. Now to get cleaned up & go plant shopping!!!!!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9456934

I am being lazy, get my broken tooth pulled Tuesday.

We will soon need a new thread so if any one is interested go ahead. I get tired of seeing my old pictures

Sandy

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9459285

I'm not tired of you or your beautiful Camellia picture Sandy, and am sorry to hear about the tooth. I need a little dental work I have been putting aside myself...

Just snap a few new pictures and share them with us and you will feel better. There is always something somewhere that is amazing, pretty or unique in every garden anywhere! Like fingerprints. I hope this makes since, and generally avoid photographing my ugly corners! Ha!

It sounds like you have not been feeling your best these days,... and I want you to feel better!

The best your way,

David

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9459286

Thank you. I am not, the surgery on my knee did not fix the problem. And I may have another tooth going bad. We where almost finish with my new partials, and now we will have to start over with the bottom ones.
This also means I will need to start with a new student come May. I wish they would start paying me for helping train their students--I think this one will be either 9 or 10

Sandy
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9459310

Finally a break in the downpour... I'm always amazed how 4" of standing water soaks in 15 min after the deluge stops. We had clay in MD and the yard would be soggy for a week after 1/2" of rain.

I should have thought to clean the leaves out of the gutters!!!!!!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9459363

Thats Florida Q.! I clean my gutters at least 4 times a year with all the Oaks too. On my East side the land was low and the first year I had water standing 6 or more inches in my backyard from the run-off from the street. As I started replacing sand for soil by the wheelbarrow loads on that parkway/sidewalk area over ther on that side;...I started dumping the sand on that parkway creating a birm. I just started planting Beach Sunflower, and any and all leftovers over there on that long skinny sandhill. It worked over time. I'm not sure if this information will help you in your situation, however as you are replacing sand for soil,...and find the areas the deluges are rolling in from,...it might help?!

These pictures were taken in 2011 after th problem had been solved by the dirt hill and convincing the city workers to drop those tree trunks from a tree they were taking down next door. DeLand is a friendly town and they drove them around and set them right in place! (kept them from going to the dump I guess and they were convinced when I outlined to them we were missing a city curb on that side.They still wave and say they like what we did with those logs when they drive by. I had promised them I would try to landscape around them and make it attractive. That is my shady side and I think its O.K. for a woodland garden look.

It is likely not for all, but it worked for me!

Keep up the good works Q, and still waiting for some pic'!

David
I forgot to say in my last message Sandy, that Andre is one of the most beautiful, striking, and unusual looking dogs I have ever seen. Share a few pics here of Him in the gardens! He is a standout...

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9459421

Thank you, he is a crazy Belgian Tervuren!!!

the tree behind him in the second picture is our fig tree(notice he is not very good about catching the ball, LOL)

here is what has happened to 5 of my garden hoses.

this last one is why the hose get murdered-any thing that gets in the way of the "eggee" gets killed, hose, plants, pots and anything else.

Thumbnail by wren107   Thumbnail by wren107   Thumbnail by wren107   Thumbnail by wren107   

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9459915

Got 4" of much needed rain yesterday & t-storms are rolling in now.

Tomatoes will need to go back in the GH Mon - Thur nites. At least they are now well watered!!!!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9460295

You have got to create something out of those hose pieces Sandy! Fun picture and think weaving...Ha! Wall art or plant pot base?...Hmmm...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9460408

Was at the garden festival here in town yesterday. Thought of David, as I see you on Trash to Treasure when I make it over there. Anyway, there were these trees, and the stems were made of then copper, they had colored tranlucent beades strung on them and bells at the ends of the branches. I just plain fell in love with them, they are not all that big, but I bought the last three the people had. They are still wrapped up, but will post a picture. I did get this cool anthirium. It doesnt bloom, like the ones we are used to, its all about the leaves. Its bloom can be seen at the base.
Got some interesting petunias and yellow impatients, both bad pictures, but you get the point.

Had a busy week and another coming up, but I got some yard pictures I want to post before the azealas are gone.

Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9460413

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 5:09 PM

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 5:10 PM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9460435

Oh , and I also got a popcorn cassia. I know they are almost weeds, but they smell like buttered popcorn and bloom like they mean it.

I got these hanging baskets, common, but non stop bloomers. Also picked up a dendrobium smiliae, very excited, I dont want to get back heavy into the orchid thing tho, just had to have this one...and well...maybe one more ;-o. Didnt take a picture of it yet, links are for popcorn cassia and orchid.
Baby wren seconds out of the nest. Check out the cute little tush.
Poinsetta from Christmas, never had one last this long
Another plant from festival, dont know what it is tho, not a great picture either..sorry.
Azeala tree at my friend Dianes,across the street, her husband is OCD about keeping that thing trimmed, Im surprised it blooms, but I love my birds eye view.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/b%20-%20c/images/cassia_didymobotrya_form.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst/lists/general/lst.gen.asp?prodid=2127&h=324&w=389&sz=161&tbnid=at8tzs1Ko8ookM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=108&prev=/search?q=popcorn+cassia&tbm=isch&tbo=u&zoom=1&q=popcorn%20cassia&usg=___XvIDiOS9UuQw_1oUoHB_yh9u9Y=&docid=fddepUBhGRV7BM&sa=X&ei=anNPUd6YH4OE2gWAsIHwBQ&ved=0CDgQ9QEwAg&dur=190
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.parksideorchids.com/images/Den/Dendrobium%2520smilliae%2520W.jpg&imgrefurl=http://flowermania-bg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f%3D12%26t%3D124%26start%3D165&h=456&w=350&sz=30&tbnid=seop63IF9HQfcM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=69&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddendrobium%2Bsmilliae%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=dendrobium+smilliae&usg=__UN7awlEzG5WU3sSYxP3KIf-jbdQ=&docid=d1qFJOIugPCRoM&sa=X&ei=oXhPUcCDHtDs2AWLq4GwBw&ved=0CDkQ9QEwAQ&dur=893

Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9460480

great pictures. So wish I could have gone but with the old knee was not possible

Sandy

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9460482

David I wonder what you would say that I could make with all the shredded boxes in the back yard. I give the brat the boxes partly to help tire him out but also to clean his teeth. Much cheaper that the $240.00 the vet wanted to clean his teeth. At least the vet laughed when I went back in with a dog with clean teeth.

sandy

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9460661

I'm looking forward to seeing those trees GG...

I have never seen a yellow Impatiens in my life. Thats a find for sure! Those petunias are really unique too. I have never seen them before either. Love baby Wrens and your neighbor has given you a beautiful view indeed. I think my gardens would probably drive your neighbor crazy. They are not nearly so trimmed...Ha!

I was sold wat was supprsed to be a Popcorn Cassia last year and it turned out to be a regular Butterfly cassia. I was let down a lot... I do have some nice Candlesticks though.

That is a special Poinsettia. Love the variegation.

What is the interesting variegated green plant in with the Plumeria in the pot?
The only thing that came to mind quickly was Mod Podge and paint sandy. Glue, Paint and Go! ( and keep it away from Andre!)

This message was edited Mar 25, 2013 6:21 AM

This message was edited Mar 25, 2013 6:30 AM

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2013
6:46 PM

Post #9460677

I thought mulch!!! I plan to put all that paper in the bottom of the raised bed that we are going to build

I get to go---need to kill a dog!!!! Way to much energy stored up.

Sandy

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9460990

Gardenglory, you found some nice goodies at the plant show. I can't wait to see the copper beaded trees you found. That is a very unique looking petunia. I always stick a few petunias in my flower pots to add some color while waiting for the cut back plants to rebound again.
I have four poinsettias that still look pretty good from Christmas around the garden in their original pots. I agree they never last this long.

Boy did the storms do some damage here yesterday. Our friends that live in southeast Orlando around Avalon park lost a couple trees and some huge branches. Luckily none hit the house. She said is was pretty scary for a bit. We'll go over there tomorrow with the chain saw to help them clean up the mess.

All this rain is making the garden look so happy. My rain barrel runneth it over. ☺ Looks like another few cool nights though...yet again.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9461264

It is quite chilly out this AM!!!!

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9461328

Hello Floridians!

I am a newbie to DG and just found the Floridian Gardening forum this morning. It's nice to be able to talk to people and ask for the advice of people who know the growing conditions we have to deal with down here.

I know I speak for myself...but I am over this "winter" and these chilly temps!

Shauna
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9461431

Shauna - WELCOME! Tampa is a tough area to grow tropicals in - it's humid and hot and humid and cold - LOL!

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9461444

Hi Kay,

Yeah, we seem to get it all here. Luckily this past winter was relatively mild and we only needed to cover the plants on a couple of occasions. My hibiscuses made it through the winter with no freeze damage!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2013
11:35 AM

Post #9461450

I miss Tampa, altho people tell me the things I miss are not even there anymore. Its mostly food anyway ;-).
I grew orchids in tampa, but gainesville is just to cold a few weeks of the year, to make it much fun. I did slip this weekend and buy two. First ones in years , but I had to give them a try.
Always glad to have a new DG/FL friend.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9461613

I love Tampa..am one of those rare breeds that was born here.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9461725

I was born there as well...Tampa General
3 kids born at Womens Hospital. Dont know if its still there are not, across from St.Joesph's.

Lived in Lutz, when Bearass Ave. was outside of town ;-)

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9461744

LOL, yes St. Josephs Womens is still there. I was born there and so was my son.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
4:20 AM

Post #9462154

Since it is too COLD to plant anything I guess I'll be forced to go to HD & get mulch & pavers. Perfect weather for doing the heavy work. I see that JAX & N FL inland is under a frost watch for tonite!!!! We are usually a few deg warmer but will huddle all the potted plants back into the GH for the next 2 nites.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
4:32 AM

Post #9462161

Isn't that the truth! Looks like things are possibly going to get slapped back again... I'm hoping not to wake up tommorrow morning and have burnt Spring buds and the Cannas which are now two and a half feet and beautiful flat to the ground again. We are supposed to likely be getting frost again too... Yuck {:-(
Welcome Shauna!

You live far enough South that you will be fine I'm sure...

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9462194

We hit the mid 40's last night and I didn't see any damage on my plants, but this cold weather makes it hard to work outside.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9462208

Well, it is 39 degrees here, right now - down to 35 tonight. It's supposed to be 5-10 degrees warmer than inland, but THIRTY FIVE degrees ON THE OCEAN, this late in the year, is ridiculous!!! I will cover all the tropicals AGAIN today!

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9462229

The groundhog predicted an early spring...I think Punxsutawney Phil needs to be fired!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9462279

FYI...HD has the 2 cu ft red mulch for $1/bag thru tomorrow.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9462420

Hi Shauna and welcome from another 9b zone gal. 47 this morning here, not too bad, but the wind...ugh.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 26, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9462510

Hi.

56 defrees here when I woke up this morning. Most of what I have in the ground is ok with that. But there is my mussaenda that doen't take kindly to cool weather. It sulks and drops all its leaves. It bounces back most times. When it doesn't, it's time to get another one .

Sylvain
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9462585

Here is the new thread Sandy ask for. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304269/
NEW THREAD http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304269/
Please come on over.
Sidney

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9462678

Hi Everyone, welcome Shawna, I've been outside all morning putting all my plants back into the GH, seems like that's all I do lately, plus, I got all my empty pots ready to cover the big stuff I have in the ground already, sheets, and all my panel curtains I'm not using to cover up the raised beds I have. This is some weather, make's you wonder when it's going to end, I keep praying for spring to show her lovely face. Such a mild winter, and now we're getting hit with freeze warnings, again!
Q, Thanks for the tip on the HD mulch, sent DH to pick me up about 20-30 bags at that price. Than I can lay ground paper around my beds and mulch, and not have to weed whack that area. Nice !!
I was out in the green house and checked the temp, it's a warm 83 degrees, I guess I'll put a little space heater in there tonight. I have pepper seedlings starting to come up, and some other seedlings that don't like the cold. I think I saw a thread that shows David's GH that he uses a heater in, that gave me the idea, when the temps reach 100 degrees plus in there I use a fan to move the air and keep things cool, I can get the temps to 80 degrees by using the fan, I want to see how warm the heater keeps it tonight. I moved everything back in, I have a kids red wagon that I use to haul my plants in, otherwise, they'd still be outside, too many to move by hand. The stuff in the ground, I have enough empty pots from my container garden I had last year, so they'll be used to cover the big stuff, sheets for over the ground plants, my corn is just peeking out of the ground, about 1/4"-1/2", I read I can put plastic over the corn, I didn't read anywhere where it say's don't let it touch the plant, so I'm assuming that it should be OK, if not, someone let me know before tonight, if your reading this. I have two different patches of corn. I have some more in solo cups, to be transplanted in a week or two, but don't want to lose what's already been planted. My strawberry's should be fine, from my understanding they can with stand some frost for a few hours, here again, get back to me if you think I should cover them. Just moving back from Thailand, a year and a half ago, I don't have a collection of old sheets etc. to use as cover, but will put everything I do have on the rest of my stuff in the ground. I bought 4 very long panels of insulated curtains from a yard sale, than decided I didn't like them, they are now being used for ground cover, I think cheaper than what I would have paid for the stuff they're selling at lowes and HD. lol, I have to start watching for old sheets and what not at yard sales, but usually they sell for more than what I'd want to pay to use as ground cover. I'm out of big boxes, I use them to transfer soil from my compost, and mix in with garden soil, the boxes take a beating when I'm trying to stir the compost and soil with my shovel, the boxes start to fall apart, so they get shredded and go into the compost heap. Also used as cover for my compost. I am so Thankful Hubby built my GH as soon as he did, I remember telling him he didn't have to do it till next fall, but than I didn't realize we'd be having a late freeze. I even put shelves in it, and than told myself I should have waited on spending the money for them, and now, am glad I did. Next year, I'll have worked all the kinks out of my gardening, and will be ready for whatever weather God hands us. This year has been tough, starting for a blank canvas to what it is now. Everyday , for the last 3 months has been spent in my back yard getting things ready for the garden, and than planting it, just to have the frost come in and take it all away. I'll fight to save what I've done, and be glad when the garden finally show's me some beautiful vegetables for my efforts:) !
For everyone here in the Florida Garden Forum, I'm praying that we all come out of this with healthy plants and very little damage. Have a great Day, Jami

ps: I did post these picture's on another thread.should have done here to begin with ! Sorry about the double post.I'm not even sure where I posted it, I think on my own thread. OH well !

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9462699

In these picture's I'm going to use the curtain panels to cover these beds, in the next picture is where I have my corn planted, the 2 rows to the left of the picture, I'm going to cover these to hills with plastic, I have some left over lumbar from the shed to hold the plastic in place because of the wind, and than the 3rd picture is of my lettuce, and romain lettuce, and a few cucumbers, not quite big enough yet, so this will be covered with some beach towels I have, Laying right on the plants, I hope this won't hurt them, I have no way to keep the towels off the plants, and than the 4th picture is the other patch of corn, here again, plastic to cover this crop. All my seedlings are in the GH, with some potted plants, some flowers plants, and flower seedlings.
I'll run an extension cord over the GH, from the garden shed, to plug in the small electric heater I have. That should maintain the temperature for the seedlings to be OK.

After all this being done, I'm keeping everything where it's at, till I know there isn't going to be no more cold. My back can't take all this moving every other week, I feel for someone who is much further ahead in their gardens, what they must be going through. To everyone, have a comfortable evening, stay warm !! Jami

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9462700

Those flannel lined table cloths are also great plant covers. After any holiday you can get them at least 50% off.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9462702

You really do love to share a lot Jami. You know what you are doing and do it well. You do tend to write too lengthy of messages a lot though for me...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9462709

Great pictures. Youve sure put in alot more work than I have this year, thats for sure. Your going to be eating good this summer.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9462732

Gardenglory had the better words to say...

...and there will always be something to say tommorrow...

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9463000

Jami keep talking away, us old timers love to read what is going on in everyone's garden, specially as I can not do much any more.

Sandy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9463065

Isnt that the truth. The less I can do, the more I like to read about what everyone else is doing. Gardening vicariously thru everyone elses energy. I wish my body could do just half as much as what my mind wants to do. I of course, love everyones pictures as well.
Ive been told I can talk the horns off a billy goat. ;-)

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9463072

LOL

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9463158

All my friends say I tend to talk a lot, but when your disabled, and aren't out in the public work force anymore, you tend to make up for it when your on a community chat forum, or when someone come's to visit. I've been disabled since 2007, and at 55 years of age, I should be out there working yet. Now, I pray each day when I wake up, to let me get through my day, and gardening is my therapy, I put a lot into it, and it's become my life, my job, and I look forward to it each and every day. I'll never sit on my couch and stare at my TV, that's not me YET! And because I am at home most of my time, and the garden is my only vise, I tend to talk about it, maybe more than other's do! That's all I have to chat about, except for my 3 dogs, my 5 grandchildren, my son's upcoming wedding, September 7th, If I'm chatting to much, I'm so very sorry!

BTW, everything is covered and I feel good that I won't lose to much,

TTYAL, jami

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9463175

Jami you are fine, I am also disable and when I am around people I also talk to much.
I would love to hear all about your plans and your gardens. So Talk away!!!! the only reason I done on here is because my fingers do not want to type like they use to.

Sandy
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9463205

Jami,
So glad you are able to garden and it is not a vise. The good Lord planned it from the very beginning for us to have gardens and some folks enjoy it more than others and we just happen to be plant happy. Being able to provide some food for the table is a great bonus. Can't beat fresh produce and going out into your garden and getting it--it doesn't come any fresher. When my 4 kids were little I used to can and freeze a lot of produce. Now if I have any extra from gardening I always can find someone that is glad to get it. I never let any go to waste. Two of my children are close by so I always call them first and then neighbors. Hopefully someday my little church will be able to have a large freezer as part of our food ministry and then I will certainly plant more. Right now we just have a bread room and it always is gladly received also. I have 13 grandchildren and 14 great grands but unfortunately most are very far away but at Christmas we have a really lively house which is the way I like it. We eat don't drink but are very merry

BTW,
Wren or anyone heard from Jeremy??? Last post I read said he had beaten the cancer which is wonderful. Guess it's time I gave him a call. I think he was at library last time he posted.

Weather has been kind of crazy. Will watch a forecast tonight. I don't watch much tv. Hope you all up further north don't loose a bunch of plants. After i read your post I brought my Hawaii sunset vine nto the house as its loaded with buds finally and I really don't want to loose it. My blue sky vine is already starting to climb and I think I had better move it as last summer it went up over the house and into a tree limb. I have another place where we have a wood arbor built which is very high up and will acomodate it. That was acquired from a RU I think from Jeremy. The yellow cestrum he gave me has spread and blooms all the time. If anyone coming to the RU would like some I would be happy to cut some cuttings off

Well heres hoping tonight doesn't anililate everyones hard work with your plants.

Regards, Bonnie

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9463223

You all are so kind, I'm not a newbie here, just was on a sabbatical for awhile, and never felt like I was going overboard on the chat, as everyone else like's to read what's being said on here, so do I! I learn a lot, and I also enjoy the stories people share, it make's one's day 's go quicker, when that's all they have to look forward too. Anyway, I shall be me, and continue to be myself! Thanks, Jami

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9463226

Bonnie, I got an email, a couple of weeks ago, from Jeremy - things seem to be going o.k. with him.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
6:43 PM

Post #9463265

Please come over to continue conversation or discussion. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304269/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304269/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304269/
Thanks,
Sidney

We do this so those on dial up can keep up.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2013 9:04 PM

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2013
2:37 AM

Post #9463495

Thanks for sharing that you are currently disabled Jami, but fortunately not so badly that you cannot work in your gardens...

I'm sorry if I offended you and understand more now...

Heck, look at it this way,...I helped skyrocket your Florida Gardening forum popularity!

Keep up the good works...
In this post on one of my threads you said you were now as "Healthy as a Horse" and I had no idea you were disabled.

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2013
09:56 PM

Post #9454146

here's my pond my hubby and I built at the old home we lived in before moving here! I wish I could have moved it, but when we left this house we went to Thailand for a year, was supposed to be 5 years, but I got sick, and had to come back to the USA to get fully well, which I am, thank God, but some days I miss being there, and I really miss things we sold before we moved there, as we couldn't take them with us. Here's my pond, and a few picture's of us in Thailand, ( I know I'm out of thread on this, but I just had to post something of Thailand:) ) This was a beautiful country, we managed to have about 13 months there, before I ended up in the international hospital for 10 days, after surgery, stomach problems, couldn't eat after I got out, constantly sick, so my hubby packed us up, and flew us home. It did take 3 months or so for him to make the decision as I was constantly fighting him over it, I wanted to stay, but he was very fearful for my health, so... here we are, I guess you could say he made the right decision, as I'm as healthy as a horse, as you can see when looking at my gardens, I really wanted to build a garden there, but at the time, we were still in the tourist mode, so never got a chance to settle down and start building a life there. I had a maid, we had gardeners, and if we wanted the maid would cook for us. There was so much to see and do, that I never had a chance to live like we do here at home, which is weird, we went there to live. Anyway, I have nothing but good things to say about being there, wish we could go back, but now, I have a new life, and am "living " again! ( if that makes sense?)

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1301348/#ixzz2OjgIsFnB

This message was edited Mar 27, 2013 4:40 AM

This message was edited Mar 27, 2013 5:32 AM

This message was edited Mar 27, 2013 5:48 AM

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9463807

David, nothing for nothing, I'm very glad I'm healthy! When you put it into words, healthy can be a good thing, as my blood work show's I'm healthy, BUT, I have a titanium plate in my cervical spine, I have degenerate bone disease, I had major surgery in 2007, almost lost my right arm from nerve damage because of a pinched nerve caused by a deteriorating disc. I'm plated for C-3 to C-7. Now my lower back is giving me problems, No one in there right mind would hire me if I wanted to work, which I can't. My garden is my therapy, and when I can get up each and every morning and go out and work in it, I feel Great! My DH helps, I have some friends who come over and help, I am healthy as a horse, I just had a doctors appt. 2 days ago to review my blood work, as I was having problems with my liver, from medicines I took during the healing process from the surgery, my blood work came back Normal, the first time in 2 years. My bout with sickness in Thailand came from a parasite I picked up over there. I had to come home to get well. I spent a year after my cervical surgery in a hard neck brace, than went to a soft brace for another 6 months, I slept in a recliner, I had no life at that time because I was limited to what I could do, I than had 2 more surgery's to repair the damage in my hands, that was caused by the cervical disc's pinching nerve's, My hands still give me problems, I drop things, I get a burning sensation in my finger tips, this isn't always happening, but it does happen. Than when I went to Thailand, we moved there because of the warmer weather year around, as my bone's hurt from the cold, but when I picked up the parasite, I couldn't eat, started losing a lot of weight,( like I have it to lose, which I don't) another 6 months of being ill, after a point you start feeling like life isn't worth living because your always sick or in pain. Well, I'm 100 time's better now, the cold still get's me down, but when I say I'm healthy, to me I am! I really shouldn't have to explain myself, but since your wondering, there you have it. I don't know what caused you to react to me the way you did, I haven't done anything or said anything to disrespect you, so why all this drama? Working in the garden helps me to sleep at night. I get very tired from the air, and it helps me to sleep at night when the pain of laying on my sides causes my arms to burn, when laying on my back, my legs hurt, so the garden is my savior, I fall into bed so tired, that I can get at least 6 hours of straight sleep, before waking up full of pain. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. There are days I can't work in the garden, but it doesn't interfere with anyone or anything on those days. If I held a job, I'd be fired within a month, for calling off due to my health issue's. Why should someone who's disabled not be able to work in a garden? Anyway, If you chose to ignore me from here on out, so be it, I don't hold grudges, You get what you give,and, If you look back at some later post, not always on the garden threads, try mosaic art, frugal living, and trash to treasure, you'll find some of my later threads. At that time I didn't have a garden, Last year was the first, and it was a container garden. I've been a paying member of DG since 2009, You didn't promote me in anyway, I promoted myself, thank you!

Now... Since I got that out of the way, How is everyone ? Did you make it through the cold last night? I did, and my garden did just fine. I had the heater on in the GH, thanks to David saying he had one in his, I never would have thought of that, so Thank you for that little bit of information David, it helped in there tremendously, when I looked in the temperature was holding steady at 60 degrees. This morning when I went out to open up, it was a toasty 65 degrees in the GH, everything else was under blankets, towels, what ever I could get my hands on. When I finally got everything uncovered, things looked normal. Now I'm hoping the cold leaves us and spring shows her pretty face. I hope everyone made out just as well.

Have a blessed and sparkling day! Jami

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9463812

Jami,

Just came home for lunch and got your message.

I respect you much, and thank you for the education, and truly wish you the most positive today and healthy tommorrows. God bless you.

Sincerely, and Happy Gardening,

David.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2013
9:47 PM

Post #9464565

David, Thank You, No harm meant:) !

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9465292

Yes Jami,

There was no harm meant at all. I wonder how those TV sitcom neighbors/family/roomate shows, make everything work out by the end of a 30 minute episode,...when one character blurbs something 'off the top of their head' at each other!...Ha! ( "The Golden Girls" were pros at it!...

I was so controlled be early instructors in the 'School of Communications' days to;..."Now David. You did not get a good grade on this paper because,...while you write well, yet you tend to get off the subject and ramble!"

I fight myself to these days personally, to not do that (and fail a lot still Ha!) and was likely projecting a tad of that in that communication with you.

I will be looking forward to many more pictures of your gardens developing through this season,...and I completely meant what I said in some thread somewhere,...when I said,...We should be neighbors!

We both share artistic and gardening talents. If I had said what I blurbed to you over the fence as neighbors and you had seen my face at the time,...we would have laughed at each other together,...and one of us would have said to the other,..."So watcha' up to tommorrow?"

So,..."Watcha' up to tommorrow?!" {:-)

I love your pictures! (of course I love mine too...Ha!) Sharing is fun, and I try to remind myself all the time,..pictures are the best and tell it all. I'm Looking forward to your new thread entries!

(I try to avoid D-mail as much as possible. The reason is,...I would rather share fairly my comments and thoughts openly in forums, to avoid the feeling that I am taking sides and forgetting another unfairly. Open communication tends to make groups more cohesive for me.)

David

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9465296

Love a happy ending, kudos to those involved. Words are so flat on the screen, sometimes its hard for those words to come across as they were meant.
Just a glorious weather day.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America