Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Orchids: March Orchids Warm Us Up

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 225, Views: 1,598
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9435457

We are coming from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296429/#new Time again for a new month and new flowers. Some bloomers have followed us along into March. Come share your pretties.

This is Jairak Rainbow 'Plum Pretty'. Right on time and very photogenic. It likes high light and very fast drainage...enough to make the leaves speckle for best flowering. I grow these in tiny clay pots on a hunk of lava rock. I've grown them on chunks of natural charcoal too.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9435464

Encyclia bractescens has a delicate beauty with its grassy leaves and floating flowers.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9435468

The flowers on Epc. Rene Marques x Epi. pseudepidendrum are long lasting and the lip turns more orange as it ages. The differences between this one and a straight Rene Marques are that my flowers are fewer and almost twice as big. Epc. Rene Marques has a yellow lip while mine, which is crossed back to the pseudepidendrum parent, is orange.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9435469

Well it helps to have a photo, yes? lol

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9435485

Well, Mom and I headed out to our society's orchid show and sale this morning. I wasn't surprised to see Jim there waiting in line to get in, LOL! There were some beautiful orchids on display and I picked up a few as well.

1. Blc. Ports of Paradise 'Green Ching Hua' (Jim helped convince me on this one. No seriously, I had noticed it even before he said anything. He just helped me make up my mind.)
2. Blc. Goldenzelle 'Lemon Chiffon' x Blc. Sylvia Fry 'Supreme'
3. C. Hawaiian Crystal x C. Tiffany Bells (Continuing my Hawaiian theme I've got going.)

I also bought Bc. North Miami 'Suncoast'; the sample plant smelled wonderful. I can't wait for it to grow up; I just bought a baby plant. I also got two cattleya divisions from Krull-Smith - Blc. Orglades Charm 'Crystelle' and Blc. Leonard Smith 'Krull-Smith'. He had pictures up of what they will look like and they're both gorgeous.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2013 12:57 PM

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong      

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9435490

I also took some random photos that I hope you will enjoy.

1. Phal. Krull's Butterfly (Mom was ready to steal this one out of the display.)
2. Lyc. Chita Impulse 'Krull-Smith'
3. Cym. Oriental Legend 'Largo' (Love the color on this one)
4. Onc. Jairak Rainbow (Since we've been talking about the Jairak series lately, including Laurel's cutie above).
5. Rlc. Frank Fordyce (Rlc. Golden Slippers x Catt. Colorama)

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9435499

1. Vanda Spotted Sunshine - V. (Mote's Butterscotch x Darres' Golden Heritage) LOVE this color!
2. C. amethystoglossa (Why don't I have one of these yet; I like it!)
3. Vandachostylis Colmarie 'Black Beauty' (How cool is this?!)
4. Slc. Rosemary Clooney 'Nanae'
5. Lc. Prism Palette x Lc. Gaiety Flambeau

Hope you enjoyed the mini-show! I'm sure Jim will be along shortly with his highlights from today!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9435606

All the colors of Spring!!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9435644

Very true and it looks like we will have to start referring to Mellie as the Catt Lady.

Mellie, Ports of Paradise is a real oldie. I used to have POP 'Emerald Isle' back in the seventies when it was getting all kinds of awards. I paid a bundle for it back then. When we moved I went from a greenhouse to lights in a basement. Everything eventually croaked and I quit growing for years. Orchid prices used to be huge. Growers would send out Xerox sheets of their available plants each year with descriptions, no pictures. Unless you had seen the orchid at a show or meeting you were flying by the seat of your pants. I'd say an average, decent Catt specimen was $65-$85 dollars. $45 was a super show special bargain probably not near bloom size.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9435681

Here I am, after the nice show and sale today. The first thing I saw was Melanie and her mom so I knew I was at the right place. There were only six or seven orchid vendors so it didn't take long to scout the place. I spotted Blc. Ports of Paradise 'Green Ching Hua' and thought that was the pick of the Catt litter :>) Next thing I know, Melanie had bought it. Nothing else grabbed my attention. I talked with Jim Krull and told him Laurel said hello. I then started to look at the orchid displays and two orchids spoke to me. The first was Rossioglossum Rawdon's Jester 'Suncoast Cicada Killer'. I'll show it here in the first two photos. The second was Lycaste Geyser Gold 'Capricorn Valcan'. I show it here in the third picture. I asked all of the vendors if they had these orchids and did find a non-blooming Ros. Rawdon's jester but there was no Lycaste for sale in the entire show. Needless to say, I bought the Rossioglossum. I told Melanie about it but I see she took a pass. I'm betting she will be sorry later.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica      

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9435703

I did wind up buying two others:

Bc. Hippodamia (B. nodosa X C. aclandiae) in spike

C. Gene May - Lc. Jungle Elf 'Space Leopard' X C.Penny Kuroda - L. briegeri 'Corpusles' in bloom and shown here. I know that is a long name but I copied it right from the tag. Laurel, can you help me understand this crazy tag?

The second picture is of the three orchids that came home with me.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9435712

Here are some general pictures of the show. The names of the orchids are either in the picture or immediately following. I love the Lycast shown here as well.

Jim

Edited to say that even when I had the pictures in correct order, hitting the send button scrambles them again. The name tag in the fourth photo goes with the orchid in the second photo. Frustrating!

This message was edited Mar 1, 2013 5:39 PM

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9435714

Here is the view at the entrance followed by more display orchids:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9435722

And some more:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9435729

And a few more. All of the time I was taking these pictures, Melanie must have been prowling the Catt aisle. :>) The second pic is a little Tolumnia but I didn't get the name.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9435730

While out in the OC, I discovered Blc. Haleahi Sunbow 'Bow Wow' X Pot. Haleahi Jewels 'Ruby Tangerine' is blooming. I picked it up at the Florida West Coast Orchid Show last October.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9435735

Out by the big live oak tree, Epi. Radicans and the first Phaius of the season are blooming.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9435740

You did good, Jim. The C. Day Tripper on display is the bomb. Thanks for saying "Hi" to Jim Krull.

Our show opens next Friday. I'll be working at least Thursday, Friday and Saturday. We only have space for ten vendors. One is always orchid art and another supplies. Harry Phillips is returning with wife Leslie to represent Andy's once again this year. Time to cash in my gift certificated (and then some).
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9435748

Laurel, thanks for the new thread and I love the Encyclia bractescens.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9435764

The two Lycaste I saw today really blew me away. I know they require some cool temps but I'm going to research them to see if I can grow one. I asked Jim Krull about them and he said he grows a few in his private collection but has none for sale. That seems to be a familiar theme in Apopka. I asked Paul Phelps as well and he doesn't grow them.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9435821

Just call me the crazy Catt lady! Thanks Laurel for the history lesson on my Ports of Paradise. Nice to know I have an oldie but goody.

I'll be breaking out the blankets again and carrying in the vandas tomorrow since we're supposed to get some cold temperatures this weekend. I never think I have that many vandas until I have to transport them all into the garage, LOL!

Good choices from the show, Jim! I like your Blc. Haleahi Sunbow 'Bow Wow' X Pot. Haleahi Jewels 'Ruby Tangerine', too.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9436681

I just came in from cutting the grass and I tell you that is one cold wind blowing out there. Time to break out the blankets and make the hot toddies. It is 62 degrees in the OC which is cool for this time of day. I went out there to take some pics and this is what is in bloom.

I'll start out with species Epi. stamfordianum which hails from Belize. It puts out a nice fragrance.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9436683

Next up is Dendrobium Burana 'Green Star'. I love the color on this one.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013

Post #9436684

It is very hard to photograph Dendrobium spectabile and then make sense out of what you are looking at.

Jim

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013

Post #9436685

Goodness it's crazy windy out. I've closed up the greenhouse early to retain heat before cranking up the heater. A few chilly nights ahead !

Cool bloom on the Epi. stamfordianum Jim...I may need to look for that one.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9436689

I think you would like it, MJ. It puts out a lot of flowers.

I guess I could say the same for my ribbon winning Schomburgkia undulata.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9436693

Then there is the newbie with the strange long name, C. Gene May - Lc. Jungle Elf 'Space Leopard' X C.Penny Kuroda - L. briegeri 'Corpusles'

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9436698

Nice color on this Blc. Haleahi Sunbow 'Bow Wow' X Pot. Haleahi Jewels 'Ruby Tangerine'

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9436702

There are strange birds flying everywhere when Gongora smaug (Gon. clavidora X pterodactyl) is blooming.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9436704

I have a couple of beautiful NOID Phals blooming.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9436708

Bollopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost' is beginning to bloom again.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9436710

Maxillaria setigera is still providing a sweet fragrance to the OC.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9436712

I have two Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler' orchids. The one that went off to the state fair now is finished blooming. This is the one that stayed home. Compare this one to the one Laurel posted.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9436713

This NOID Dendrobium is mounted on a Pet Smart lizzard log.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9436714

Lc. Eva ( C. aurantiaca X L. cinnabarina 'poppy) will brighten up any dark corner.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9436715

C. skinneri is beginning to open.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9436720

Degarmoara Flying High is still blooming nicely.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9436723

And last but not least, Vanda Princess Blue.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9436789

What a gorgeous bunch of orchids, Jim. Love that spearhead on the lip of Epi. stamfordianum. The little max is so pretty.

We have very cold and lots of wind here, too. I briefly aired out the little greenhouse shelf units while the sun was out but they are closed up again now.

Nun's orchids are in full bloom now, and don't seem to mind the cold, but the little Howeara Lava Burst 'Puanani' got to come into the house.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9436838

Jim, you've got a ton going on in the OC! I hope my Cardinal's Roost blooms soon, like yours. Mine is nice and healthy looking and I think it's grown some since I bought it a few months ago. Maybe I'll try talking to it.

That was a cold wind today! I covered up all the cattleyas and brought the vandas into the garage again.

I raise butterflies, as well, and had two come out of their chrysalis today. One I already let go but the other is going to spend the night in the house. I tired to tell them it was the wrong day to come out but they don't listen to me, LOL!

Melanie
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 2, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9437007

Just an outstanding show. Thanx for taking the time to shoot and the extra effort to get the names.I go to a show and start out that way. I'm going to take lots of pix with the ID's.
Ya, right. Between looking and buying it's lucky I get any pix

Lc. Eva ( C. aurantiaca X L. cinnabarina 'poppy) really took my breath away, Tell me Jim, is the camera capturing the color correctly. Reds can be such a pain

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9437186

Ted, those red colors, including the NOID Den just preceding, are spot on.

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

March 3, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9437499

Jim your C. Gene May - Lc. Jungle Elf 'Space Leopard' X C.Penny Kuroda - L. briegeri 'Corpusles' is the colour of Jungle Elf with Penny Kuroda shape and laelia briegeri is plain yellow. Lots of orchids flowering at your place. Very nice.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9437506

Bree, thanks. With help from Ursula and Kathy, I settled on (C. Gene May X Lc. Spoz Tabee Splash) X L. briegeri 'Corpusles'. At least I understand what this says.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9437898

Great pics and I agree with Ted; thanks bunches for adding to the eye candy! We've had a busy social weekend and I'm about to get busier with show set up starting this Wednesday. I am also in the middle (not the beginning or the end) of setting up seed for our spring and summer garden. It takes days and then some to get everything going. I'll post if I can but meanwhile I'll be looking in.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 3, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9437915

Picked up this at a Lowe's discount cart. Have no idea why it was there. Must have been fate. I was there yesterday to pick up some caulking guns for the shop. And everyone here knows the rules about checking the discount rack. It is a must. So I found this, didn't ask any questions and took this 'chid home. No tag, so if it looks familiar to anyone, let me know. Second bud opened today

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310         

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9437921

I never find cool stuff at Lowe's. That's beautiful, Ted!

Melanie
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 4, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9438411

Great find, Ted! Are you going to the SB show this weekend?

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

March 4, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9438587

heres a deformed Claudebec x Lulu, see the top 2 petals are fused together. Dont know if its from all the rain as the other bud died or if theres something wrong with the plant.

Thumbnail by breeindy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9438601

Beautiful flower otherwise, Bree. That's a shame.

Ted, that's a good find but I'm with Melanie. I haven't bought an orchid at HD or Lowe's around here for years. I don't even look anymore.

Ada Keiliana X Odm. triumphans is blooming nicely. I love the markings.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9438604

Bollopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost' has opened both flowers.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9438606

My Dendrobium nobile hybrid is covered with blooms with the first of them just opening. The plant is three to four feet high and about that wide. I'm not sure I can get it to a show.

Jim

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 4, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9438785

That Den. is spectacular, Jim! I've seen plants that size at shows, but don't have a clue how they got them there.

here is my favorite Cym. with only two spikes this year, and Max. picta

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL         

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 4, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9438789

Here are the three I bought at the Feb. show Blc.Fritz Nichlaus 'spring dance', Milt. LennartKarl Gottling#12, and Burr. Nelly Isler 'Swiss beauty'

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL      

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9438814

All are very nice, Carol. I wish I could grow Miltonias. I just love them.

Jim
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 4, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9438861

What? There is something you can't grow? If you can grow Phals, you should be able to grow Miltonias.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9438953

Miltonias and Paphs do not do well for me so I avoid them. Luckily, there are lots of others to keep me happy.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9438964

I love those Miltonias, too. Always assumed it was just too hot and humid here through the summer for them.

But I seem to do ok with Phals so, maybe I'll try one.

They always have a couple of nice ones in the greenhouse at Selby, but they do cool that greenhouse in summer, keep it below 85 I think.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9439274

ted, I saw some orchids at our lowe's that looked similar and there was a tag, but they were still full price so I didn't look.

Jim that same Den as your big one was at lowe's here also, ( tho no that Big ..LOL) and I thought about it and if they get marked down might.

But if they get that big, I might not... I have my hands full big big ole Den's in the winter as it is...no good place to put them.

Lowe's never used to have anything but Phal's and bag babies, but they seem to be branching out, so I always' check too. And so far most have ( if they have a tag)
have been marked correctly.

I keep looking at Dendrobium spectabile tho..I might have to make an exception.

LOL...sounds like a determined person...NOT...Must be all the Frosts we've had the last few days.

Pot. Hoku Gemspots...Blasted one set of blooms a month ago but these are doing well

Den. anceps still blooming away after a month...

This message was edited Mar 5, 2013 8:22 AM

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9439691

MJ, the Potinara looks great! Good growing.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9439833

Carol, I love all the plants you selected at the show. What beautiful colors!

Melanie
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

March 5, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9439874

Don't feel too bad Jim, I am a master phal killer myself!

Tom
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2013
2:56 PM

Post #9439895

lol @ Tommy. Meanwhile, I'm peeking in but busy getting plants ready for show and dealing with strange weather. In between severe storms the sun is sending temps way up in the greenhut. Need to get the Aluminet up before I go off with show duties tomorrow. I've got lots of super minis in bloom but they need to be staged and there's no time.

Beautiful flowers, as always, Jim.

Carol, the Max. picta is something to get wild about. Is it new? I don't recall seeing you post it before.

Ted, great find and how did you score such a huge plant with so many buds on a clearance table? MJ, maybe you could get the name of that Catt. cross for Ted? I'm sure he'd love to tag it. I'll look at my Lowes to see if there is one. Let's all help Ted name his orchid. I've gone between stores to do that with my own collection.

Now is the time to scout out the big boxes if you are interested in those type orchids. They stock up for Easter and Mother's Day and will clearance at any time throughout. Just sayin' I have insider info on this and he lives in this house.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9439943

So right, Laurel. After Valentine's Day is a good time to score as well. Our Lowe's had a huge new stock of boring Phals last weekend, but in amongst them, Tolumnias and at least three Lc. Blazing Treat plants in full bloom. If I didn't already have a couple, they'd have come home with me despite being still full price.

Wacky weather, here, too. We get one nice night of the usual temps, then tomorrow is back to chilly again!

I have Cym City going on here today. Two NoIDs going to town with flowers opening, and Cym Kenny Wine with one good spike open.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 5, 2013
4:02 PM

Post #9439960

Laurel, I got 2 Maxi. pictas from Andy's last year. The yellow is a slightly larger one with no spots that I got in Feb. and this one I got in March is Maxi. Picta sp. on the tag. On his site it says "cf. picta, type C". The yellow hasn't bloomed so far this year, or if it did, I missed it.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2013
5:52 PM

Post #9440089

I'm going to look for that Max. this week, Carol.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 5, 2013
7:32 PM

Post #9440173

Got really lucky with that find. It had to be some sort of screw up, there were a few dried up buds, but nothing really bad. You can see from the picture it's a healthy plant. I'm sure some manager said to the part-timer "mark down those orchids over there" and never really showed where there was. lol. So, like I said, no questions asked. They also had a healthy looking Encyclia cordigera at full price, $29.99. But I have one. And thanx for the help, Laurel. I would really love to know what kind of catt it is.

Jury still out on a Santa Barbara trip this weekend Carol. Would love to go and we always have a good time at the show as well as in Santa Barbara itself, with the mission and the downtown area. Just fun. But the drive. And not exactly walking on the beach weather 54, 61 and 67 highs for Fri, Sat and Sun. Sunday would be nice. Also kind of busy at the shop, so we are playing it by ear.

Nice blooms Jim, especially that Bollopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost'. And a great shot of it, too. Head on and profile in the same photo.

Good haul at the show Carol. And I really like Burr. Nelly Isler 'Swiss Beauty', but I think Laurel and I will both be on Andy's site looking for Maxi. Picta. I perk up when you get something I like. I know it will do well in our neck of the woods. You know what grows well in SoCal.

Nice cyms, Elaine. I have Kenny Wine in spike, but it will be awhile before I see a bloom.

MJ, beautiful Gemspots, Just neat looking

This message was edited Mar 5, 2013 8:33 PM

This message was edited Mar 5, 2013 8:38 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
4:10 AM

Post #9440354

I tool the plunge last nite & joined the St Aug Orchid Society. They had such lovely plants on the raffle, sale & exhibit tables. Lady sitting next to me, also a new member, won 4 Orchids. Brian went with me & I think he really enjoyed himself so we got a family membership. I'm looking forward to the re-potting class later this month.

All the pics are on his phone, I was too busy drooling!!!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9440896

Jean, I think you will enjoy the Orchid Society meetings. Ours has a speaker at each meeting as well as a blooming table and orchids and supplies for sale. Have fun.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9440966

got a birthday gift from my kids today, three new babies for the outdoor menagerie . .

Ludisia discolor, the regular Jewel Orchid with dark leaves and pink veins, Ludisia discolor var. alba, a green leafed variety with pretty markings, and Macodes Petola, another with lovely laced veining on the leaves. I suspect they may need to be in the house for the summer, but maybe not!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9441098

Elaine,
In the house, and maybe find an aquarium at a garage sale some where. They don't like it too hot, but they do like it humid. And they don't like to dry out one little bit.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9441266

And a very happy birthday from all of your orchid buddies!

Jim
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 6, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9441267

And they don't like sun. Yes the are finicky. I keep my Ludisia discolor var. alba, along with the paphs, outside in a very shaded area if it is warm enough. Hopefully soon. Here is a shot of the blooms it sent out last week. I also have a Ludisia discolor that is in a shaded area that gets just a hint of morning sun. It sits in the middle of a three tiered planter outside all year. The top tier has a hanging plant whose name escapes me. It gets cut back in the winter and I let it grow so by summer it protects the Ludisia discolor from all direct sun. The plant is huge and I have had it for years.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9441381

Thanks all, b'day was Saturday and we went out to eat stone crabs, yummm! Mj, the aquarium sounds like an awesome idea. Nice flowers, Ted. I suspect mine have already flowered for this year.

What kind of medium do these guys like? Two are in sphagnum, and the other seems to have just regular potting soil. If they want to stay moist, I guess sphag might be ok, huh?

So much for the description from EFG's site - "very easy growing, a great beginner orchid". Ha! I have them on the north facing windowsill tonight, sitting on top of a soaked towel. I think I have a great spot for them outside, but may need to baby them along. In my hurry to unpack them I broke a shoot off the alba, but it has not wilted, so I'm going to keep it close by, and mist it carefully in hopes it will re-root.

The little Macodes does indeed have "jewelled" veining. Leaves look like expensive Chinese brocade. Wish I could get a picture to show it.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9441654

Iwanagara Apple Blossom just opened this morning.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9441720

Happy late birthday wishes, Elaine.

I am on my way to the botanical garden to help the vendors set up. The show opens tomorrow. Gee it's nice to get first dibs on the goods!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9442171

I've never paid much attention to jewel orchids. Just not my thing.

Elain. great color on your apple blossom.

Jim
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 7, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9442398

Elaine, you can use sphagnum moss , with a little perlite/pumice mixed in, but I have had success with African Violet mixes. Remember, these are terrestrial type orchids, so the planting mixture needs drain quickly and retain moisture. Shallow, wide pots are best, as the Jewels are like a rhizome. They grow along the top. Pieces breaking off is how to propagate them. Let the broken end scab over. I dip it in some cinnamon and let then let the broken end harden and then stick it some soil. Good luck

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 8, 2013
12:12 PM

Post #9442945

Elaine, I remember being at Selby and seeing some kind of orchid called Appleblossom; I wonder if it's the same? Does yours smell good; it sounds like it should!

I feel very productive today. Dad put up some conduit pipe in the shade house so I hung up all my larger vandas. Then, I potted up the bareroot orchids I bought over the past two weeks. Then, everyone got watered and fertilized. So they should be happy little orchids for the time being.

Ascda. Kulwadee Fragrance #22 opened its first flower. Also, Blc. Ports of Paradise 'Green Ching Hua' opened two new flowers.

Melanie

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9443006

I have 3 of 4 bottom windows on the sunporch. Guy said he would have them all in today so I emptied the GH & moved it out back and, next thing I knew, before 3PM, he was gone. All the orchids are on the back porch so hopefully the nites will be warmer over the weekend.

Tomorrow I'll organize a bit better & water them very well.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 8, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9443227

Thanks, Ted. I'm going to keep the little Jewels indoors for now, just for the sake of quarantine. The cutting still has not wilted so I am encouraged.

The shade house is looking good, Melanie. Ascda. is gorgeous, how's the fragrance? Love the color on the Ports of Paradise. My Apple Blossom doesn't seem to have any fragrance, sadly. But then blossoms on apple trees don't either, so I guess the name still fits.

Good to hear you have some progress at least, Jean.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9443292

Back from the first day of the show opening. Exhibits were judged this morning. Since we are an AOS judging center, and have many AOS judge/members, the AOS judges awarded the exhibits. I entered eight orchids and got two blues, three reds and a white. The two blues were awarded Best In Section as well so those won rosettes and two glass art "trophies". One is for Vanda alliance (Ascocentrum garayi) and one for little Pleurothallis brighamii in the wooden shoes. Such a surprise when I saw that two little species orchids beat out all those big flashy ones. The Vanda trophy is in engraved in memory of my orchid friend, who loved Vandas and passed away this year. It was sponsored by his wife, so it's a special honor. Been a very good day. :) I'll try to post the winners early in the week. We just came back from a dinner party for judges, vendors and board members. The feed back has me reeling and needing to reduce the swelling in my head. I had my fifteen minutes of fame. Now off to bed to face two more long days.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2013 9:34 PM
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 8, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9443317

Congratulations, Laurel! Can't wait to see pics!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9443343

Yes, CONGRATS!!!!! Way to go!!!!!
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 9, 2013
8:47 AM

Post #9443738

Very good!! Post when you get a few moments.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9443772

Can't wait to see, Laurel, ribbons and all! Way to go.

Little Tol. Jairak Firm No.35 just opened its first flower today. All five of my little Tols live in a candle holder that fits the tiny clay pots perfectly. Jim discovered this for me last April when he came down to go orchid shopping at Fender's closing sale - Thanks Jim!

There are still 3 rings in the candle holder that don't have plants, though . . . Lowe's has them in bloom, too. Arg.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9443796

Wow! Way to go, Laurel! I'm proud to be your friend.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9443801

Now for something a bit more mundane. This is Cattleya skinneri in all her glory. Small plant, simple flower, great color.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9443807

More buds are opening on the huge Dendrobium Nobile hybrid.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9443816

Update on Cymbidium Little Black Sambo, now with two nice spikes in bloom.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9443819

Some progress in Phaius Land.

Jim

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9443831

Jim - I need you to come over here with your magic wand & wave it over my Orchids to get them to bloom!!!!!
As usual yours are just lovely.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9444225

Aw shucks ya'll.

First off I have to say, Melanie, that Ports Of Paradise cross is special. It's got the fringes going and the ruffles which has the best of all worlds for a fimbriated cross. Beautiful!

Jim, Catt skinneri is your bag of beans. You do it so well. Beautiful. Remember I made you buy that Black Sambo? Well mine is fine but spent the winter ignored and unloved=no flowers. Maybe next year I'll do better.

We break down the show tomorrow. The 'chids and ribbons and trophies will come home then. I think we'll be out late with orchid friends to celebrate the show. I am still floating over the performance of my babies. I actually preregistered at the eleventh hour thinking I had nothing but species that would not be show worthy this year. SO convinced me to go ahead and add plants on behalf of the society and for the exhibit.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9444291

That's great Laurel! Congrats for doing so well at the show! And thanks for the Ports of Paradise comment; it was a little pricey but I'm glad I bought it.

Jim, I like your Cattleya skinneri, too. Beautiful color on it.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9444979

Thanks. Cattleya skinneri is an old classic.

It's warm here today and I just came in from misting in the OC where I discovered L. tenebrosa X Blc Chinese Bronce 'Marco Polo' in full bloom.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9446061

Elaine, nice colors on your Jairak. That's going to look good when more flowers are opened.

Jim,a nice C. skinneri is not such a common thing. Yours is lovely.

Here is my Jairak Rainbow 'Plum Pretty' that I started the month with. It got a red ribbon. The second photo has Ascocentrum garayi, with five spikes, on top (a blue ribbon and Best In Section gold winner) and Ascocenda Arthorn, a red ribbon winner. Jim's Ascocenda Crownfox 'Golden Dawn' is a consistent ribbon winner for me. It took a red this time. I have been asked repeatedly by a number of judges to put it in for regional judging but don't want to pay the registration fees if it gets an AM. The fourth photo, Pleurothallis brighamii also earned a blue and a gold Best in Section rosette. It was a little worse for the wear when it arrived home though.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9446086

Some orchids get entered, albeit nervously, because I like to show the range of size and form to the public who is not necessarily orchid savvy. I say nervous because these more exotic species that live in the greenhut's 60%-80% humidity do not like three days in a dry, heated social hall. Plus, and sadly, the little ones go missing. I was surprised when tiny Microterangis hariotiana, the first two photos, won a white. Mine is still quite young, you can barely see the flowers and they are not completely open.

The third and fourth photos are of Platystele ortiziana from Ecuagenera. I've had it for three years now and hope I have it forever. It did not go to the show because you need a micro lens to see the flowers. The entire plant lives in a 1 1/2" pot.

The last photo is of Encyclia bratescens. It went to the show but didn't get a ribbon. It is a rather common Mexican and elsewhere orchid with small flowers for but I like it a lot. You have to have a killer big specimen to wow the judges with this one.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9446125

I am not good at photographing our shows because I have to spend most of my time on the floor meeting and greeting. It's bad enough to have my purse stashed under a table and since there is no secure place to store personal belongings the camera stays home.

Do I know what I bought? Not really. It'll be a surprise when i walk in the greenhut and see the newbies. lol Speaking of surprises, the largest plant I got that might come as a surprise to friends here is this Blc. Hawaiian Passion 'Carmela'. What, me with a Catt.-like thing that smells lemony? Well it is pretty small and it is white and green. I had a weak moment.

I know I got a Den. bracteosum http://www.orchidspecies.com/denbracteosum.htm I got a rundown one for cheap a number of years ago that now resides in orchid heaven. Never brought it to bloom so hoping a fresh start will bring good results. Also added a Den. bellatum to the collection. http://www.orchidspecies.com/denbellatulum.htm These are from a member of our society who does orchid art glass and grows species but is not around much. I'll explain more about him another time because he makes these interesting ceramic orchid "logs" that are hollow and are good for growing cool orchids in hot climates.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9446225

Just outstanding, Laurel. Well deserved! Also, very nice loot you brought home, even the Catt. I just haven't gotten into the AOS judging thing but may try it one day. If I can get Bill Thoms to guide me a bit I may submit a couple. I'm glad to see the Crownfox is still bringing home the ribbons. You did me proud on tht one.

Jim
RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9446367

A big congrats, Laurel! Your plants are beautiful and I am happy you won well deserved ribbons!
Thumbs up!
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 11, 2013
6:46 PM

Post #9446383

Congrats, Laurel. Good for you. And some nice pick ups as well
plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2013
12:20 PM

Post #9447062

My Tolumina Tequila Sunrise opened up today. I love these little flowers.

Thumbnail by plexippus

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9447106

Thanks, Jim and Ursula. SO says he needs to build me a trophy room. lol

Great color on that Tolumnia, Plex. It is their time of year. I have a few more starting to open here.

Meanwhile, a shot of tiny Pleurothallis mathildae flowers. Those nodding blooms make it difficult to see how cute this plant is. I'm surprised it's survived high heat days two summers in a row.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 12, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9447303

plexippus, Love the Tolumnia! I'll have to watch for those at our Spring Garden Show in April.

Laurel, Pleurothallis mathilda is precious!
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 12, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9447575

Love the little guys, Laurel, Plex.
Here is a pic of a smaller cym., called Cymbidium Golden Elf 'Sundust'. Just opened yesterday. First time I have had this one bloom. Bought it in April 2010 at a show. It was not in bloom, but looked large enough to me to be blooming size. Fool me. It sits under a magnolia tree and is protected from our hot western sun by a huge double hibiscus, so lots of morning light and dappled afternoon sun It gets plenty of water being in the sprinklers' area. So I guess patience is the key. This plant now has two spikes. The shot with the plant shows the color better, but it is still yellower that the camera captured

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9447774

Wow Laurel, Great Job!!
love the little Pleurothallis mathildae, but if you have a hard time keeping it cool enough I'm sure I wouldn't be able to.

Ted, I was at Lowe's yesterday and saw an Orchid that looked alot like your bargain one. The tag was literally buried down in the pot, but I managed to pull a little out before it broke. ( the tag) It was Potinara..something. Not much help I know but maybe a start.

Speckled Phal...

C.aclandiae x Caularthron bicornatum first time blooms for me.

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies         

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 13, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9447827

Thanx, MJ. Maybe I need to look a little deeper into the pot and see if it's buried as well.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9447970

Carol, did I mention Harry did not have Max. picta? One might be available soon through a society member. He has a large specimen he is going to divide after it blooms.

Ted, Cym Golden Elf was my second ever Cym way back when. I've been on the look out for one and think I might be in luck in a few months when a friend divides hers.

MJ, the Catt cross is not what I'd expect from those two orchids at all! Very interesting.

Every year at the show a friend and I find something we'd not normally spring for and, if it's dividable we each chip in half. Then I bring it home and divide. The original specimen of Mediocalcar decoratum is now two sizable ones (left and right photos).

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
9:07 AM

Post #9447984

Pleurothallis cypelligera is new to the greenhut. The older leaves are covered in algae. I can't imagine what kind of humidity this grows in because my humidity is between 60-80% and I don't have algae on the leaves of my plants but I can grow mosses.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9448030

Laurel, you have such cute little orchids! I like that last one an awful lot.

I took a good whiff of Ascda. Kulwadee Frangrance #22 and it does have a light floral fragrance. Not real strong, but it still has more buds ready to open.

Melanie

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9448167

Laurel,
I've got a couple of that cross, so who knows what they others might turn out like. But like you, not quite what I expected.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9448463

Plex, your Tolumina is really pretty. Very nice.

Ted, nice green flower on that Cym. You picked a good one.

MJ, nice color on your Catt cross.

Laurel, I run high humidity here as well but have not seen any algae on the leaves. Something strange going on there.

Out in the OC, C. Tiffin Bell X Blc. Edward McDonald has put out a single bloom. Do any of you know if this has been named yet? It is a first time bloomer for me.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9448464

Also blooming is Den. farmeri but I am concerned about it. It usually puts out tons of blooms on spikes that hang down the sides of the basket but this year I just got this one little spike sticking up in the air. I have to battle fungus on this plant quite often. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2013
6:20 PM

Post #9448466

Last year I met Elaine in Sarasota to go on down to Venice for a big grower going out of business sale. It turned out to be more of a rip-off than a sale and I only bought one plant. We wound up visiting Selby Gardens, which was a delight. Anyway, I bought L. purpurata X R. digbiana for no other reason than the lineage. I mean how can you go wrong with parents like that? It is just beginning to open and I am already impressed. More on this one later

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9448470

I spent all day yesterday at the EPCOT International Garden Festival. I worked the MG desk and met folks from around the world. As luck would have it, they were having an orchid class in the same building and I participated. It wasn't too bad and they gave everyone a little mini-Phal and had us pot it in a ceramic, coffee cup sized vase with no drainage holes. To make things worse, the potting medium they had for us to complete this task was water-logged moss. No one could understand why I was crying. Anyway, I already have it repotted so it should be fine. My concern is the message they are sending to the public.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9448474

My order from Larry's Orchids and Tropicals arrived today. I have never ordered from them before but found some plants I like and the prices are reasonable. I will show them here. From left to right they are: Encyclis alata, Odontoglossum Geyser Gold 'Okika', Onc. fuscatum semi-alba, and Masdevallia Vamp #9. The plants look good to me as I have already re-potted them and checked for snails and other critters. I would recommend this seller. LarrysOrchids.com.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2013
8:59 PM

Post #9448607

Jim, I agree with your logic on L. purpurata X R. digbiana. With those parents it had to be gorgeous - and it is!

Melanie
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 14, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9449789

Somehow in moving all the plants back outside, Den. Yellow Song Canary got missed when it bloomed. Also my largest Cym, a NOID. Three huge spikes with 8-10 flowers on each. When they all open I'll get a full plant shot.

Laurel, Pleurothallis cypelligera is wonderful. I have a Pleurothallis canaligera that is a constant battle to keep alive. What kind of light do you intend to give your Pleurothallis .

Jim the Den. farmeri reminds me of egg, sunny side up. I really like it. Hope you win the battle. And who was giving the lecture on Phals.? Some Home depot high school part-timer! lol

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9450424

Ted, I grow a number of pleurothalids surprisingly well. They get bright indirect to filtered light. They are very fussy in regards to water quality, need constant high humidity and daily water if mounted. The water quality is most important and I hear CA water is not great for orchids so you might be needing to use only rain water if you aren't already.

Love the Den. farmeri, Jim. I've got a few farmeri relatives coming into bloom and hope it happens while I'm around because the flowers don't last more than a week. Which reminds me...we are looking at an Apopka run probably sometime into the first week of April. Does that work?
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9450732

End of March into the first week of April looks good for me. Second week of April may be a problem. Heads up gang, looks like a road trip.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9450738

I don't have anything on my calendar yet!

Melanie
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 15, 2013
8:52 PM

Post #9450923

Water quality. Could be it. I will start using the RO I use on the CPs and Draculas and some others. Thanx for the tip

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9451196

Yay, road trip! I am just about to book tickets to go visit my kids in Salt Lake, but that would be the second week of April.

Name a day, I'm coming!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9451313

Finally catching up after a week on the water doing a sailing regatta. In bloom finally (after dropping a bunch of buds) is this Phaius which I think is Microburst 'Octoberfest'. The tag says it is 'Wild Thing' but that one has some yellow on it. So . .. anybody got a better guess?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9451322

Jean, MJ, anyone else? Laurel, give us a date as soon as possible.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013

Post #9451472

A few of my rescue Phals have also begun to open. I have a big show in the offing, as all but one of the 9 bargain rack Phals have buds ready to pop.

First two are NOIDs, white one is my little Phal. amabilis var. formosanum "Variegata".

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9451488

As soon as there is a date I'm going to try to figure out a way to go. Even if I just have to meet you guys over there somewhere, and dash home. I wanna go...
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9451637

Good, I'm looking forward to meeting you. As soon as we have a date from Laurel, I'll contact you via Dmail to set up a plan.

Out in the OC, Bc. Hippodamia (B.nodosa X C. aclandiae) is just opening today.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9451645

The R. digbyana X L. purpurata has opened a bit more and I am happy I took a chance on her. Nice color and form and some digbyana fringe.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9451647

Cattleya maxima is just starting to open.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9451649

The Phaius are really taking their time

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9451652

Finally, the Den nobile hybrid. You would have to see it to believe it.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9451657

Jim - I dmailed Laurel off another forum. DH will not be able to come so I'm hoping I can find a friend to drag along. I got the orchids spread out in the porch. Now to see if they like their locations. I have to pick up a plant stand Tues - would not fit in the SUV with the other stuff today.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9451659

Jim - WOW!!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013
5:17 PM

Post #9451682

Jim, double wow! That's got to be one of the best posts here ever. It's a knockout.

Now for the maybe not so good news. We have consulted calendars and tweaked schedules. Passover starts the 25th of March and goes through April 2nd. We are very diet restricted in observance during this time and don't want to spend the entire holiday in Miami with no where to eat but home. We also must be here for the first two days of the holiday. With this in mind we are thinking of leaving after the 27th of March and returning April 8th or 9th. Can ya'll still do it? Mind you I am not just working around my needs but the 6th and 7th are out because the greenhouses are often not open on weekends or the growers are off at shows in April. In fact, during this time of year, growers are often gone by Thursday to set up for shows so Monday or Tuesday would be best. I would prefer Tuesday the 9th so I have leeway to take care of things (nothing major, just construction and finding a new realtor) at the Miami house. Let me know.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9451685

Almost forgot, I caught this Leptotes bicolor on the way out before we ran up to Maypop. We are in the midst of kitchen garden installation.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9451737

Very nice Leptotes.

I have library talks on both the 8th and 9th and since they were booked months ago I am committed. I am free on the 10th.

Jim
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9451744

My calendar is open...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013
6:55 PM

Post #9451751

I can do the 10th.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9451761

Elaine, I hope you can work your Utah trip around the 10th.

Melanie??

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9451851

The 10th seems fine to me!

Melanie

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9452266

Hey everyone, can you tell me what's up with my Ascda. Kulwadee Fragrance #22? The lower leaves are all hanging down instead of up and out like you see on the top leaves. What is it trying to tell me? What does it want? I wanted to take it to the meeting this month but not if it has issues. The last thing I want is to be lectured in front of the club! On the up side, the flowers look nice and are still opening up!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong         

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9452294

This looks like a watering issue, Mellie. How often do you water and for how long? The roots should turn green even where the vellum is white if it is being adequately watered. The roots look otherwise healthy but you will also see this problem with damaged or diseased roots which cannot otherwise support the size of the plant or there is an issue, such as a bacterial infection of the roots where water uptake is compromised. This does not look like the case. Unfortunately you will probably lose these leaves.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9452491

I've been watering them every day lately since the humidity has been low. I water for a couple of minutes until everything looks saturated, then water my other plants, then go back and water the vandas again for a few more minutes. I wasn't watering as often a few weeks ago; maybe that was a problem?

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9452792

Melanie, you can water Vandas day and night but they need high humidity as well. If you water the plant until it is wet, move on and return with another dump of water, this will not increase the ambient humidity or sufficiently water the plant. Are you using an adjustable misting nozzle? You might need to do this several times a day if the humidity is low. Otherwise you will need to close up your growing space to raise the humidity in winter. The problem with FL winters is they are dryer and definitely cooler than their native habitats. I have several orchids from Apopka during winter trips that were in the same condition as yours. I suspect it was more the dryer conditions in the greenhouse than the colder weather. Temperature may be an added factor on those leaves. How cold is the plant getting/gotten?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9452824

Well, sure hope you can nurse that loverly plant back to perkiness, Melanie. The flowers are gorgeous!

The humidity returns pretty soon - all too soon, in fact. Lol, it's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow, and it's a bit sticky outside even now. But we can still have periods of dry through April, so maybe a few little micro-misters on a timer would help? I added a couple inside the pool cage for my orchids, and I think they're pretty happy about it. If you can't do that, soak the ground inside the orchid hut with the hose as you leave, and that will certainly raise the humidity for a while at least. Inside my pool cage, I spray the brick pavers down with the hose to help raise the humidity on dry days, too. It takes them about 3 hours to dry out, even in the direct sun.

When I brought my bloomers (orchids, that is) indoors for the last few cold nights, I spread wet towels on the counters around them to keep the humidity up. You could try hanging some old wet towels in the hut around the Vandas. The dry air usually only lasts for a couple of days here and there through spring.

Looks like I will be back from my trip in time to meet everybody in Apopka on the 10th - Yay! Maybe I am ready to venture into Vanda - land.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9452848

I've been really good about bringing in the vandas when it got below 50 or so, but there might have been a night or two they got a little colder than that. The weatherman lies, you know. I am using an adjustable nozzle to mist/water them with.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9453807

Elaine, good news. We'll have to work out the logistics.

Melanie, I have a 15,000 gallon pool in the OC so when I close the windows on a cold night, the humidity sores, Even so, I have a few Vandas that lose their leaves just like you. Others hanging right beside them are doing fine. I'm thinking all Vandas may not be equal. Keep a list of the poor performers so you do not buy them again. Thankfully, Apopka allows us to replace them without much pain.

I took some pics out in the OC a few minutes ago and they turned out well. The Cattleya maxima is in full bloom and I love it.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2013
2:35 PM

Post #9453812

I discovered a single bloom on Rhyncholaelia glauca.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9453814

Here is a NOID Cym out by the oak tree.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9453818

Cym. Little Black Sambo is blooming away.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9453819

I thought this was a nice picture of Arundina graminisolia.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9453821

So is this one of Epi. radicans.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9453822

Cym Leodogran 'Cradlemont' has no intention to stop blooming. Thanks, Laurel!

Jim

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 19, 2013
11:03 AM

Post #9454843

That C. maxima is a real beauty, Jim.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9455106

You did great with Black Sambo, Jim. I used to grow the most gorgeous Epis outdoors in Miami. They get to big for the greenhut. Lastly, interesting that my gluaca bloomed much earlier than yours. I'm thinking that despite FL's warmer climate, my more easterly location often accounts for earlier bloom.

Need to take pics. Came home to new bloomers in the greenhut. I'm working most of the week and trying to pot up tomato seedlings for the veggie garden. It's a busy time.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9456158

Thanks, Jim. I have another vanda that I think I'm going to lose and I have no idea what happened to it. Everybody else is doing fine; I even found a bloom stalk starting on one of them today! I guess like you said, not all of them are created equal. At least I'll know what not to buy in the future. Looking forward to Apopka to get a few more!

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9456292

Mentioned but don't think I posted photos of these ceramic tubes one of our member/vendors had at the show. You fill the center with water and, for those whose climates make cool orchids a challenge the water keeps the mounted orchid cool via evaporative cooling. The plant is also self watered. He had them in a number of sizes at very reasonable prices. He also had a great selection of small species orchids mounted on these tubes all under twenty dollars. I bought two but will remove one because the orchid is hot growing and needs a little drying in winter.

Edited to add Larry Mayes website if anyone is interested. His glass works are well known among orchid enthusiasts. He makes the awards for our show. http://www.natureglass.com/

This message was edited Mar 20, 2013 6:32 PM

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9456299

This is Mormolyca ringens aka "Texas Pete Orchid". I think that's because it looks like a small face with a big hat. I'm not really sure why my plant blooms two spikes on every new lead for months and then sends up spikes but the spikes abort throughout the cooler months. It grows well throughout the year. You can see a second spike coming in the second photo.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9456305

Stelis ciliaris. The plant is approximately 4". The spike is twice that in length. The flowers are the size of an eraser head at best.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 20, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9456315

You did a good job of getting a picture of the Stelis ! It's a cutie!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9456320

I bought a literal slice of Dendrobium aggregatum from Fuchs a number of years ago. It was growing in a standard nursery flat and had been cut into brownie-sized pieces. Since then the name has been changed to Dendrobium lindleyi and I burned the heck out of what became a beautiful specimen two years ago. Now it blooms sparsely and wonky but it is recovering and more spikes are coming. I am going to divide and re-basket it after blooming to encourage new growth. Picture two shows some of the remaining burned leaves.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9456332

Thanks Carol. I had to do my best with snaps. There's been a family medical crisis and no time to diddle with staging orchid photos. Every time I go in the greenhut I spot another bloomer that missed a photo op. Tough to ferret out when they are small. :)

This not so small orchid likes a dry, cool winter. Dendrobium thyrsiflorum. Two spikes are open and two more coming. The flowers don't last more than a week and only come once a year but those cascades are worth the wait.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 20, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9456340

Pretty Laurel!
Am I the only one having problems with this new "next photo" thing? Sometimes it works...sometimes not! I'm using IE.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9456344

What do you mean, Carol? Are you having difficulty posting or viewing? Photos don't necessarily load in the order I highlight. If it's important I download one at a time.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 20, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9456367

Sometimes when I review the "next Photo" it shows them all, then offers "back to post". Other times It recycles, and goes to time out! Then I have to keep hitting the back button to get back to the post. I'll just stick to the old way, I guess.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 20, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9456395

Nice, Laurel. Dendrobium lindleyi and Stelis ciliaris are really nice
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9456408

Thanks, Ted. The Stelis is from Andy. I had one before but lost it when the greenhut overheated. These like it on the cool side.

Carol, I've not experienced the problem you describe (but boy does that make me mad when SO says that and I'm having a computer problem).

Not the best photo but don't know if I'll catch this again. Thrixspermum bromiliforme always opens in the morning and starts closing by midday. This is an unusual late day photo of the flowers fully open and it was sunny out. Also, to have so many spikes and flowers going on this sequential species is great. It's in bloom almost every day while different spikes take turns showing off new flowers. I got this orchid at Redlands several years ago from a Philippine grower. It's native to her country.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9456421

Carol, I have the same problem. It is a good idea but they haven't got it right yet just like the multiple upload option.

Laurel, what wonderful mini blooms! I love the Stelis ciliaris.

I'm getting excited about Apopka.

Jim
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 20, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9456432

A NOID Cym and Den Yellow Song. I bought this at a store in bloom in 2007. First time it has bloomed for me since. And better shots of Cym. Golden Elf. Glad spring is here

This message was edited Mar 20, 2013 6:57 PM

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 20, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9456518

Ted, are you sure spring is here? My Yellow Song canary is just starting too.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2013
4:53 AM

Post #9456652

I had to switch to FireFox for viewing Dave's a couple months back. Somewhere in the home page they state FF as the preferred viewer. Since then I've not had problems with pics or slow loading pages.

Think I have the sun porch "organized" now. The African Violets are happy to have their stand back to themselves!!!! Hopefully more sun will make the Orchids happier. 1 side gets indirect AM sun; the other side indirect PM.

With 45 out this AM the SP is 65 without heat.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 21, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9456766

Well at least by the calendar it's spring lol
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9456772

I've always used FireFox. Perhaps that's why no problems.

Great Jean on the temps. Is there going to be a problem come summer?

Ted, love both your yellows, especially Golden Elf.

Jim, I'd like to get excited but am up to my ears in problems here. Most of it involves a leave date and arrangements for the house and animals.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9456775

The SP sounds just right for your collection, Jean. I also use Fire Fox for viewing Dave's. It still will not post photos in the order selected nor behave when using the 'Next Photo" option.

Out in the OC, a nice species orchid from Belize called Epi. stamfordianum is putting on a show.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9456780

Next is a species Dendrobium that grows long canes full of leaves in the summer, then drops the leaves in the winter and blooms on the naked canes. It is called Den. aphyllum. I'm thinking maybe Laurel gave me this one.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9456783

The Laelia purpurata X R. digbiana that I picked up just because I love the parents has opened nicely. I like it as it is about as I expected.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9456786

Bollopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost' deserves another look as the colors have turned deeper and perhaps richer.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9456790

Also maturing is Bc. Hippodamia (B. nodosa X C. aclandiae).

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9456797

Here is that one that came with a contorted name that Kathy and Ursula figured out. This is (C. Gene May X Lc. Spoz Tabee Splash) X L. briegeri 'Corpusles'. ( I think??)

Jim

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9456945

The SP sits where the screen porch was and it was always cooler in there last summer. I can remove the glass panes and just have screen but there always seems to be a nice breeze back thru it. And I have the ceiling fan.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9460060

I thought my last post was pretty good but it brought not a peep so I'll try again. Out in the OC things are still blooming. Smbdc. (Schomburgkia X Cattleya) Star of Rio 'Rose'. is looking good.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9460062

This is Wilsonara Pacific Lush 'Pretty in Pink'. Lots of buds still to open on this one.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9460065

Brassavola Jimminey Cricket opened a single bloom yesterday. If I remember correctly, it will turn pink at it matures but it sure is green now.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9460066

Brassavola Memoria Bernice Foster has three buds on it and the first one opened last Friday.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9460070

Out under the live oak, Phaius microburst 'Wild Thing' finally opened the first of its buds. Seems like it took a couple of months.

Jim

drdawg43
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9460078

I lost my huge, four-month blooming Phal. I just completed my first-ever Garden Expo (a vendor), and the Phal. was the "centerpiece" for my plant display. I really didn't want to sell it, so I put a rediculous price on it, just knowing it would return safely home when I finished the show on Saturday. A sweet lady that had bought several "baby" orchids and a couple of staghorns earlier, came by and looked at the Phal. She finally said, "I would love to have this orchid, but I just know my husband would kill me, spending that much on a plant". She walked away, heading to the exhibit hall exit. By then I was busy helping another customer, and my wife came over to me and told me "That lady who just left is now standing at the exit, with her hand under her chin. I could tell she was clearly in deep-thought. She is now headed back our way". Well, since I was with the other customer who wanted to know how to mount and grow staghorn ferns, I just keep on talking, with my back still to the Phal. After a few minutes (I sold another stag!), I turned around and the Phal. was gone!. My wife told me that she laid the money on the table and walked straight out of the exhibit hall, not saying a word. Gosh, I already miss that big ole orchid, which was given to me by one of my patients five years ago, telling me that the plant was dead and since she knew I grew orchids, perhaps I could "save" it.

If you have never been a vendor at one of these shows, and this was a two-day one, I can tell you that it is back-breaking work. It took me five hours to set up the day before the Expo started, was in the Expo hall for thirteen hours (mostly on my feet for nine hours), another eight hours the final day, and then had to spend two hours breaking down and loading up what I had to take back home. Since this was my first time to do something like this, I know a lot more of what to take, how to set-up my exhibit (I had over 100 plants) plus supplies, and what people seem to be more interested in. That being said, I don't know if I will ever do another one. I am getting too old for that kind of physical stress and long hours.

This NOID Phaleanopsis had 40 flowers and her leaf-span was 30".

Thumbnail by drdawg43

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9460136

Sorry you Sold that beauty but you know she will be loved...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9460137

Jim, I'm checking in and see a post I wrote must be out there in the ethers. Suffice to say everything looks mahvoulous dahling! I love Epi. stamfordainum and wrote that it is one of the many in my collection that got burned but is recovering slowly. I also wrote that my camera is under the weather. After purchasing a new card to rule out that problem the camera needs to go in first thing in the morning. I'm out of pocket with photos unless they are from my phone as Passover start sundown tomorrow and I'm not online during the holiday.

Klrkkr, very pretty Phal. Good growing and congratulations on the sale! Shows are exhausting. The Atlanta Orchid Society sponsors an annual three day orchid show. We are there an additional day and into the night before the vendors arrive setting up the hall, draping and skirting tables. We help the vendors load and unload their trucks, provide hospitality meals while they are there, and stay after the vendors have driven off into the sunset to break down displays and tables and leave the hall "broom clean". It's grueling. I don't know how they go from show to show.

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 24, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9460150

As usual a nice show Jim. I especially like Brassavola Memoria Bernice Foster

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9460198

Jim, I like the Wilsonara. Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Hey folks, I have a question about a vanda. I've got one that just started to send out its bud spike and today I noticed a large group of ants covering the spike. Is that normal? Are they drawn to something in it? I sprayed it down with insecticidal soap and killed them all since it didn't seem to be a good thing. I have some plants I know ants live on and are harmless but this just didn't sit right.

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9460201

Yes, the ants are normal. They are attracted to the sweet exudate the flower buds excrete. You can hose the buds and loose the ants. No need to kill them.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9460207

Ok, I figured something was attracting them. I'll concentrate my efforts on killing fire ants instead!

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9460217

Okay. I understand why you might not want to save fire ants but just remember fire ants eat ticks and chiggers among other bad bugs.
drdawg43
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2013
11:40 AM

Post #9460229

Have you ever been stung by a fire ant? If so you would not want to leave a viable mound standing. People of are allergic to them end up in the hospital if stung. The mounds will kill patches of grass if left alone and a lawn mower can actually be damaged if the blade hits a large mound. They are something that university agricultural scientists are spending millions of dollors on to find a control for them, and ranchers and farmers spend tens of millions just trying to control them. The best killer I have found, and it will kill a mound within 24 hours, is Orthene powder. Ken in Mississippi
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013

Post #9460369

I hate fire ants but the good news is I haven't seen them in the garden for several years. I don't know where they went but am glad they are gone. I know the University of Florida released some parasitic wasps a couple of years ago to help control the ants so perhaps it worked.

Melanie, ants themselves will not hurt your plants but may well be up to mischief. Laurel is correct in this case but they often farm aphids and mealy bugs so keep a sharp eye out.

Laurel, I hope you get your camera fixed before the Miami/Apopka trip.

Glad I woke up the thread. I miss you guys.

Jim
drdawg43
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9460383

Jim, all your fire ants migrated to Mississippi! Tropical storms and hurricanes probably ran them out. Ken

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9460384

I just bought two new multipurpose sprayers - one for fertilizing and the other for fungicide and pesticides. I normally don't use much of anything in my garden due to raising butterflies, but I know orchids have special needs and they're closed off in their little house anyway. Now, I can be a better orchid mommy. I haven't been fertilizing enough - I can hear the plants yelling at me, LOL!

Melanie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9460399

I was out in the shed looking for my potting mix & found my time release fertilizer. I knew it had to be somewhere!!!!
Re-potted my Catasetum and hopefully it will be happy in the larger container.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9460433

Melanie, I have two sprayers too, one for herbicides and the other for everything else. Pesticide and fungicide residue will not hurt your plants.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9460448

I have three sprayers. One for everything orchids, one for everything out of the food garden that is not organic or is herbicidal and one for the kitchen garden.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 24, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9460629

Jim, Didn't mean to ignore you! love your brassavolas...mine just hang there doing nothing.
As to the sprayers I have three 1 ga. pump sprayers. 1 for pesticides/ herbicides (I was a liscensed applicater for 20 years so I clean them after every use),1 that works well for the 'chids, and 1 that doesn't work for s@#$. I just bought a hose end sprayer for the pesticides because the pump sprayer won't reach the tops of the trees that harbor the worst insects. Citrus trees abound in scale, mealy bugs and mites. Oops, almost forgot the new citrus leaf miner. aagh! I feed the ants all summer. Going to try a new recipe this year.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2013
2:51 PM

Post #9461675

Looks like I'll be moving vandas and tucking in the other orchids for a couple more nights. I thought winter was supposed to be over? Although, I must admit it's nice gardening and not sweating buckets. I'll be doing that soon enough!

Melanie
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 25, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9461713

A week of sun and heat got some of my orchids to open, but we're getting another cold front too.

A couple of cyms., Onc. splendidium, on the porch

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL      

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 25, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9461720

Phaiocalanthe kriptonite 'Ursula", Pot. Cameron's magnatism, Den. yellow song canary, Maxilaria curtipus, and Den. Roy Takunaga in the shack

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 25, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9461880

Really nice Carol, Maxilaria curtipus I think is my fav

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9462846

Nice show Carol, what an array of colors!

Once again, I brought vandas into the garage and covered up everyone else with thick blankets. That groundhog is such a liar! I can't remember covering up plants this late in March. I promised all my plants a nice dose of fertilizer when I uncover them; I'm sure they'll like that.

Melanie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9462878

I was hoping to get some of my babies repotted this week. No way can I take them outside in the COLD wind!!!! Maybe Thur.
drdawg43
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9462980

Last year, I began shipping my tropical plants the last week in February. I put my tropicals outside the first week in March. Now we are near the end of March and I have neither begun shipping nor put anything outside. It is supposed to be 29 F in the morning and it got down to 28 F this morning! Global warming, I guess. Ken
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9463272

Cold here with a strong wind out of the north. The OC windows are all closed. Low tonight is expected to be 40 degrees.

I had the orchid meeting today and am now just back from choir practice. I sang last night at a nursing home and pushed it a little so am a bit raspy tonight. That's bad as I sing Thursday through Sunday at church. The good news at the orchid meeting is that my big Den. nobile cross won the member's choice ribbon. My Schomburgkia undulata won it last month so I am doing well. In addition, I picked up a new orchid called Bepi Phoenix 'Kona'. http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~azumino/cat_hyb/612.html

Jim

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
4:09 AM

Post #9463527

Jim - your new baby is just adorable!!!! So nice that you will have so many flowers for Easter. Sharry Baby is close to blooming. I just love how she can scent a room.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 27, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9464484

I was looking at the pic of Jim's Bepi Phoenix 'Kona'. Is anyone familiar with the care etc?

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9466085

St. Pete Orchid Farm is having their open house tomorrow so I'm going to go check it out. I had a fun time over there last year. I'm sure I'll come home with something, but never fear, I've got a special Apopka fund squirreled away!

Melanie

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 30, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9466531

I really like that Bepi Phoenix Kona also.

Well maybe I'll be able to get some of the big dendrobiums out of the greenhouse this week...finally...

But this poor noid striped one was stuck on the top shelf at the peak as it was the only place it would fit. I didn't even see the spike till I was pulling out a bunch of Hoya's that were hanging in front of it to fertilize and there was this crooked spike...full of buds.

Dendrobium aggregatum ( lindleyi) starting up...

Rdcm Mystique Strawberry Daiquiri x Rdcm Velvet Queen...Big ole name for a pretty little Tol.

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies      

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9466849

Well, I'm back with a few more orchids in tow.

1. Slc. George Hausermann 'York' (Dad liked this one)
2. Yama. Redland Sunset (love the colors in it)
3. Pot. Eye Candy #15 (so cute!)
I also bought (not pictured and all non-blooming) Blc. Samba Splendor 'Carmela' (big, dark purple bloom), Onc. Gold Dust (little yellow cuties), and Encyclia tampensis. I've been meaning to get that Encyclia for a while and he had some nice, small mounted ones for reasonable prices. I also got 10% off my purchase since I'm their Facebook friend.

When I got home I fertilized everyone after bringing the vandas back out of the garage. I then noticed another bloomer just starting up. It was...
4. Mtdm. Rosey Sunset 'Pacific Satin' It's actually a little more pink than in the photo.

Melanie (who still has money for Apopka!)

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9466882

Hey guys, my Paph did something weird today. I was looking at it and it looked like part of the flower part had dried up. When I touched it, it came off in my hand. I peeled it and there was a seed-like thing inside. Do they even make seeds like that? Don't things flower and then make seeds? Was it just a part of the flower that aborted? The part looked to me like it was going to be the "pouch" part of the flower but I could be wrong. Here are some "after" shots. Tell me if you think it still looks normal or if it looks like a piece is missing. I've really been looking forward to it blooming and I would hate if it stopped.

Melanie

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 30, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9466902

Wow! Quite a haul, Melli. I really like the Slc. George Hausermann 'York' and the wonderful colors and markings on Yama. Redland sunset.
Have no clue on the Phaph.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9466943

Melanie, I don't grow Paphs but I bet Laurel will provide some insight when she comes back online. Nice haul and still money left over. I love the colors on Slc. George Hausermann and Yama. Redland Sunset. The Mtdm (miltonidium) is not a natural genus, its members are crossings between miltonia and oncidium. I haven't seen a lot of them but I like the form. No reason why it shouldn't do well for you,

I'm off to the Gread Easter Vigil to sing again and play bells. This one is the longest of the services and I am already sounding raspy. Happy Easter all.

Jim
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 30, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9467054

getting in the last blooms for March. Zygo. psycho and the first ever blooms on Den. oriental smile 'butterfly'

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL         

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 30, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9467156

Nice shopping there melli. Like them all. Just got a paph. to open for me this year for the first time in a long time, so I'm no expert but, did you happen to see a hole where a bug entered. Sure sounds like an abort for whatever reason.

Carol, is that the Zygo. that you got in Costa Mesa last year? Love the Den.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 30, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9467208

No, Ted. I got this one in 2011. The one I got last year was Npp(neoblastopetalum) Kathleen.( Npp 'pure jade' X Zygoneria pine road 'Green Dragon' ). I also got Zygonesia cynosure 'Blue bird' (Aganisia X Zygo) last year, but that was from SB. I love the Zygos! They're very easy for me.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9467594

Didn't see a hole where a bug might have entered. I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it dries up or continues to do its thing.

Melanie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9467743

Phaius Dan Rosenberg "Mellow Yellow" hopped into my cart at Ace yesterday when I was buying fertilizer.
She will be planted outside my studio door where there is mostly shade all day.

And Sharry baby has the sun porch smelling like Chocolate Covered Cherries!!!!! I can always count on her to bloom every couple months. She really does need to be repoted.

I did repot Den Spectable today. Talk about root bound. Hopefully he will now look healthier and decide to bloom.

Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter      

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9467806

Very pretty Phaius, Jean. Good buy.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9468606

It is time for our new thread. Please join me at: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1305186/

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

April 1, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9468873

Melaine your paphs flower has dried up and wont flower now. Mustnt have liked the growing conditions for some reason. Maybe a weather change. You can cut it off. Hopefully the next growth wont do the same. Some people get alot of buds blast on them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America