(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9435495

New day, new month, new thread!
March comes in like a lion, right?

We are coming from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1297088/#axzz2MJO6BKVS

Please share your photos and chat with us!

S. Batik

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Click the image for an enlarged view.

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9435501

A couple more blooming right now...

Eva
TSF-Zhizel

Karen

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose   Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9435509

If all of this snow we're getting is a lion then it's here lol. We have 15" not counting the drifts and snow is coming down right now :(( Maybe it will go out like a lamb and WARM UP!! ::))) Chili is on the menu here for tonight (wink)

Very nice pics!!

Connie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9435590

Beautiful Streps. Karen! I love TSF-Zhizel.

Sis,
It sounds like a lion to me.Brrr...stay warm and cozy.

Lynn
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 1, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9435752

I am loving all of the Streptocarpus !!!! Batik has to be a my favorite of the bunch.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9435844

Went to the local Garden Show today and came home with 2 new AV. I will have some pictures of them tomorrow. I could have easily bought 10 of them it sure was hard to pick which ones to get. The Vendor is in our area, he sells AV from Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses. One is called Bubble Gum Charm the other is called Zoe.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9435851

Good for you Holly! I probably couldn't hold myself to less than 10!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9435865

Well, I am going to the Phila Flower Show next week and I am sure that I can find another one or two there and the Md. Orchid Society Show next week end. I will want to pick up a new Orchid. So I will need a few $$ for those shows as well. Besides I did buy quite a few other plants for the yard and a couple of succulents today and last week at the Hbg Garden Expo I got a Pitcher Plant. I am in Plant Happy Heaven.
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9435952

I am thinking about venturing in to AVs... *gasp*
I have my eye on a couple (maybe) with my bingo prize.

Actually, I did buy one on eBay today.
I love fantasy and I love variegation...
So I bought a starter plant of Cosmic Blast.

Good choice???
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9435968

Oh yes,I think so.Take a look at Celina Dark Velvet if you like red.
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9436002

OK... thanks!
What I love most is red and purple combined...
That's why Cosmic Blast caught my eye.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 1, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9436026

My little Warm Sunshine today.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2013
9:33 PM

Post #9436147

Very nice Sally.

Karen,
Celina Dark Velvet is a very deep red.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9436701

These are Emerald Love and the other is supposed to be Bishop,but I thought Bishop was pink.As you can see I am having trouble with the flowers and foliage on that plant.Too much light or too cold?
Lynn

Thumbnail by lbrabec   Thumbnail by lbrabec         

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9436732

Well, if I am thinking right, you got that from me. Mine isn't showing the pink like it should. I am wondering if mine has sported? My Arctic Frost has turned out to be one and is solid purple. Every now and then I will get a speck or two of white which should be completely the other way around. Pretty but not what I ordered, neither is the Bishop :( Out of all of my plants, those are the only two "sports" I have seen...so far LOL!!

Connie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9436736

It is the one from you.Something was making the center leaves turn brown on the edges (I think it was too cold) so I removed many of the center leaves.The blooms are not showing any pink at all.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9436761

Guess I will be looking for another Arctic Frost and Bishop lol I bought both of those from Linda.

Connie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9436783

Those two are Emerald Love and Bishop.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9436837

My Emerald Love is blooming true. Yours looks like it is..??? Arctic Frost and Bishop are the only two I have that are not. I was supposed to share my A.F. with Melanie and even told her not to buy one with full intentions of sending her a baby. So glad I didn't!!

Connie
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
4:24 PM

Post #9436844

My E. L. blooms look just like the pic showing in the plant files here. Shoot, I think it's blooming...if it is, do you want to see a pic of mine?
meag848
Kittrell, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9436860

Connie you know that we would.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9436877

My Emerald Love looks like the one in FC2. Lighting may have been bad in the picture.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9436883

Yep, Emerald Love looks fine looking at a side view of the bloom. Well, I looked and don't see anymore blooms on mine for now. Sorry about Bishop. I sure wouldn't have sent it if I knew it was going to be a sport.

Melanie, what are you doing listening in on my conversations when I am talking about you??? LOL!!!! On a serious note, I am glad to see you posting and having fun with us (big grin)

Connie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9437001

What?...I love sports!
Lynn
meag848
Kittrell, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2013
12:58 AM

Post #9437098

I'm tired and worn out but have a few days to rest up and enjoy everyone here. Mom goes for testing on Wednesday, then we will see if she will even be able to have the surgery.

Until then...Let the good times roll!! lol
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9437168

Meag, My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family during these hard times.

So here are a few pics of the new AV that I picked up at the show on Friday. The first pic is LLG Zoe it is a bit more of a darker burgundy that this pic looks. The second is LLG Bubble Gum.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS         

meag848
Kittrell, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2013
6:18 AM

Post #9437204

OMG!! Another gotta have!! Zoe is awesome!! Gosh my list is getting longer, just have to figure out where the extra room is going to come from!!

Melanie
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9437227

Not blooming but growing here for me -- Alsobia Chiappas seed pod. I wonder who did such a great job pollinating it? Very slow to mature but so exiting. Thanks Jamie!!!!!!

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl   Thumbnail by carpathiangirl         

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9437376

Jamie, Thanks I never even thought of looking for a seed pod on my Alsobia. I have no idea if it would put one out but I will be watching for one.

Melanie, You may have trouble finding one. When I got home I looked up both new AV's and I couldn't find the Zoe in any of my searches including the LLG website. When it gets warmer I could send you a leaf or maybe a plant from the Vendor. It really is a beautiful plant. I especially love the new blooms before they are fully open.

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9437405

They are very pretty!! Good luck on that seed pod Maria ::)) I "played" a little and might be seeing a couple of seed pods forming on one of my A.V.s. Keeping my fingers crossed...we will see lol.

Sis, glad you like sports. Makes me feel better that I sent it to you lol. Look at your blooms and when the open a little better, you will see the part that is supposed to be pink is actually a blush color. If that pale pink wasn't there, the bloom would remind me of Irish Laughter. I do like sports. Heck, some sports have prettier blooms than the A.V. it came from. I don't think this sport is more impressive than Bishop. My A.F. blooms have died down but I see more buds forming. Blooms are huge and I will try to get a pic of that when the buds open again.

Connie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9437592

I will try and get another picture when the blooms are more open,but the buds are browning quickly.I am thinking it needs to be warmer or maybe moved to less light.

Lynn
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9437953

Bristol's Tropical Sunrise
Feathered Silk

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2013
8:29 PM

Post #9437993

Yum Karen.
jannich
Andalusia, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9438537

Hello group,Hope everyone's having a good day.Let me tell you how my day as gone.Some of you that knows ME,knows whats coming up.Yes just my luck.LOL.

I went to Walmart this morning, stopped in the garden,I was so surprised to see beautiful AV's! This is the first time I have ever seen them at that store .I picked out a pretty white with purple edge, popped it out of the pot to look at the roots.Nice and healthy.When I got home I took all the flowers off outside and then put it in a gallon baggie..Then I got my trusty mini microscope out and got down to business,took the plant out of the pot but left it in the bag and started looking with the microscope.BINGO,after 5 minutes or so I found soil mealies.Now the plant is my experiment plant.I read a article on the Internet about a person using a home remedy to get rid of them. I'm going to try and see if it works.I don't have anything to loss

If you don't have this mini microscope,please think about getting one.It well worth it.

Jan
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2013
1:52 PM

Post #9438688

Can' wait to see how your experiment comes out.Please share!

I still haven't gotten that microscope...darn...but I think I still have the link.

Sista Lynn
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2013
3:05 PM

Post #9438761

Jan... It's really good that you thought ahead so much to put the new plant into Baggie as soon as you arrived home!

I happened to be at Wal-Mart today as well, and ours had a table of AVs sitting right there at the entrance! I walked around the table, and they were nice enough, but since AVs aren't my first love I walked away.

Kinda glad I did!

Karen
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9438790

My hubbie and I spent a couple of months in Florida. While we were there, I went to the Tampa AV Society show and sale. I bought some plants and one of them lost its tag between there and here. Can anyone help me identify it? I sent an email to the people listed on their site but both e-mails came back as" failed" to send. I got a gesneria pedicelaris, pink smoke episcia, petro barbata (blooming purple), a miniature AV "petite blarney" and this unknown.LOL It has deeply quilted leaves and a small white bloom coming from the leaf axis (sp)???. Thanks for any help you can give me. Lou

Thumbnail by dispatcher1

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9438821

Lou,welcome back!

I will have to do some looking,but I am pretty sure it is a Gasteranthus.

Lynn
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9438873

Lou, that's a neat-looking plant!
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9438895

Welcome back Lou!
Hope you and your husband had a nice trip!

Karen
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9439096

This isn't quite the same.but take a look
[HYPERLINK@www.google.com]
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9439248

Up in MD I had the perfect window for growing my AV. Now in FL this past year, I'm not as lucky. But the ones that have survived seem to finally be adapting. Now that they have started blooming I realized I only had purple ones remaining. These had come from a grower in PA. Yesterday I broke-down & picked up 1 at the grocery store. Lovely burgandy & white. Roots look healthy.

I do enjoy listening to all of you & looking at your photos.
jannich
Andalusia, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9439409

Hi Lou,Welcome back and Happy Birthday to you! That is a awesome looking plant! Did you see Thad Scaggs at the show/sale you went to? He's such a nice guy.Darn you just missed Bingo sign up.

Karen,I have learned the hard way to isolate all new plants comng in the house,gallon bags work well for me.

Lynn,The microscope,if you get it, cut up baggies or plastic wrap and lay it on top of your soil then look down into the soil, toss it and get another piece of plastic for the next plant..

Hi Qwilter

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9439475

Well, My AV leaves aren't growing. Might have gotten too much sun and cooked them. I had them under the same dome as the Alsobia cuttings and they are doing so well that I thought it would be a good place for the AV leaves but something wasn't right for them.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9439536

Happy Birthday Lou!

Jan,thanks for the tip.

Holly,everybody does it differently,but I don't dome my African leaves.Less chance of rot that way.

Lynn
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9439650

Happy birthday Lou!
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9440055

Happy Birthday Lou!
Hope your day was terrific!

Karen
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9441023

Thanks for the Birthday wishes> I had a nice quiet day and enjoyed it.

Ibrabec, that is very similiar to my plant. I went on the gesneriads society page and did a lot of looking and I found it to be Nautilocalyx Pemphidius. I can't believe I only paid 6.00 for it . I hope it grows good for me. I'm going to put it in a terrarium and keep a close eye on it.

There were two shows near Tampa on the 23rd and after we went to one, Dave didn't want to drive to the other one since the navigator on my celll phone said it 45 min. away. ( He drove farther than that to play golf however.) I was thankful to get to one of them as I had never been to one before. I was totally amazed at some of the beautiful show plants. I didn't get to the one that Thadd skaggs belongs to.

I wanted to stay uin Florida for March but Dave said it would be nice here in March and we could start working in the garden. With this eather, he is now convinced that we will stay for three months next year. Maybe I can go to one of the shows next year. Lurker Lou

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9441136

Duh...I should have thought of Nautilocalyx.
Too bad you didn't get to go see Thad.He has some fabulous plants!

Lynn
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9441711

Hey Lou!!

Glad to see you back and happy belated birthday ::)) How nice to be spend a couple of months in FL and go plant shopping lol!!

Connie
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 7, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9442069

My sweet Willodene. She is doing great. Getting big.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9442102

It's a beauty Sally.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9442328

Gorgeous, Sally.
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9442409

Beautiful Sally!
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
9:25 PM

Post #9442461

I received my first AV in the mail today... looks to be a nice, healthy plant. (Cosmic Blast)
After quarantining it, I want to put it in with the rest of the gessies on the light stand.
Now you all know that I grow mostly streps, and they like bright light.
I have two-tube T8 lights on ~14 hours a day.
I believe I have read enough to know that AVs don't want that much light?
What do you suggest for location?

Karen
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2013
3:11 AM

Post #9442559

I have mine in a mostly East facing window.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9442852

Karen,
you probably need to either decrease the hours or keep it quite a ways from the lights.
Lynn
bigoldbuck701
Williston, ND

March 13, 2013
4:29 AM

Post #9447734

nice pics everyone

JIM
chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 13, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9447832

Here are some in bloom for me today:
Southern Delight - I just love this plant. It has lots of huge pink blooms that are the width of my four fingers.
Park Avenue Blues with beautiful blue blooms.
Emerald Pink, first time blooming.
The last photo is Rebel's Splatter Kake with two different color blooms.
Chiqui

Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2013
11:39 AM

Post #9448110

Very pretty Chiqui!

Lynn, I have one east facing window... the rest are full southern exposure. My birds are in the east window, so I am going to try the AV on the bird cage, and see how it does. I haven't re-potted it yet, but I can tell it's growing... The three smallest leaves on it when it arrived are already noticeably larger.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9448184

Beautiful violets Chiqui!

That location sounds good Karen or even the South a little ways back from the window.You could try it under your new lights,at the end of the tubes and probably at least 12 inches away.I know Thad uses different lights.You might ask him.
Lynn

Cymbelina

Cymbelina
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9448425

My first post with photo! I haven't been here very long, but I wanted to show off this violet. I have had it in an east facing window self watering in its original pot with a wick put in and then jammed into a small glass pitcher. I've had violets in this off and on for years, but this current occupant has been blooming nonstop for two years. Once, about 18 months ago, it got down to only one or two blooms, but since that time it has simply made my office a much pleasanter place with those happy flower faces smiling in the sun. These flowers have made me so happy that I've started a miniature and semi miniature collection in the same window. :)

Thumbnail by Cymbelina

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2013
5:56 PM

Post #9448449

Nice pics Chiqui!! Maybe another sport has surfaced from Rebels (wink)

Welcome to the A.V. forum Cymbelina!! You have a very happy A.V. there :) Great job!

Connie
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9448489

That is very pretty Cymbelina! Welcome to the forum! I hope you will post more often.

Karen
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9448552

Amazing violet Cymbelina!

Cymbelina

Cymbelina
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2013
9:10 PM

Post #9448617

Thanks everyone! I have lots of photos and no one around who is all that into it. This guy got a little sunburned when for no reason that I know of, he just started to look scorched in the same spot he's always been. So I moved it behind a staghorn fern for a little shade, trimmed the leaves and then took some to start new plants. What a bloomer and I have no idea what it is. I bought three violets from Lowes for the three women in my office (including me) when we moved to it in August 2010 and mine is the lone survivor.

Years ago before many moves I had a couple of miniature Optimara violets from Kroger that I propagated in a north facing window in my kitchen in Auburn, Alabama when I was going to school. This violet made me remember how much fun that was and how rewarding. So now I have four new mini AVs and three new miniature orchids that I picked up at the Botanical Gardens last week. I've been traveling for work and out of the office since the day I put them there and I can't wait to go see all of them tomorrow. Below is a photo of one of my new miniatures from Bluebird Nurseries, the photo and the plant and I want to see how it's doing! I'd think that was crazy if I hadn't found Dave's and you guys! ;)

Thumbnail by Cymbelina

jannich
Andalusia, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9448887

Cymbelina,welcome to the AV forum,very pretty plants.Your a fairly close close neighbor to me.

Jan

Cymbelina

Cymbelina
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9448918

Thanks Jan! I spend a lot of time traveling around Alabama because I work with City and County governments. I work with Luverne, Dozier and Brantley down in your neck of the woods. I'm only just getting back to growing things. I've been so busy that I just had the one violet more for decor than to satisfy my passion for all things green and growing. But that little guy is giving its all and I realized that I had a window that AVs would like! Hence this spring's collecting urge for tiny miniatures. I've also been doing a couple of terrariums with some moss I collected in Pike County (while working) and a small piece of resurrection fern. I've already gone a little overboard!

Thumbnail by Cymbelina

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9449031

Overboard??? Not yet! You just entered a "room" full of enablers. Maybe some plant stands are in your future (big grin)

Connie
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9449049

Cymbelina, Ah another moss lover. I have a small patch in my front garden and each spring I hand groom it. Glad it is only a small patch. I have several terrariums but none of them are planted at this time. I have been looking at the mini AV lately and thinking of putting one together with some pretty moss. I have so many large plants that when I did have a small terrarium it was really overlooked, except by my son that did the house plant watering for me while on vacation and watered it just like all the other plants. I came home to floating plants. LOL So I took it apart and put the plants in other containers and didn't ever put it back together.
Oh I did get a lovely new AV at the Phila Flower Show it's small and not blooming yet so no pictures it is called Mystic Mermaid.
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2013
9:45 AM

Post #9449057

Oh, Holly!! That is GORGEOUS!!!!

http://lyndonlyon.com/store/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=552&zenid=83e0c9a1157ee0b6d62d14ad1d4f0702

Connie
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9449149

A collage I did the other day of what was blooming at the time...

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9449150

S. Gina...

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9449174

Beautiful booms Karen!

Connie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9449181

Karen,
Your Streps. are just gorgeous.

Lynn
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9449234

OH yes it is Connie, They had one blooming AV to display and what they were selling were smaller and not in bloom. Lucky part is that they are fairly close to me. So now I have two growers in my area to visit. I do think it may be the last of the AV's for me, for awhile at least. I have 10 different ones a nice variety mix. I have quite a few plants that I over winter in the house, even with the GH. I have 7 Orchids in the house right now some new ones from the Orchid Show and one from our GH that is reblooming. A blooming Amaryllis a couple of blooming Anthurium and a Pitcher Plant hanging from the ceiling. They have all been brought into the living room recently and that doesn't include what was already here. Growing space will be very stressed in a few more weeks when the annual plugs come in. I expect to move some of them back into the GH when they finish blooming but with the plugs coming in things will get more crowded down there as well. I have another backup room on the second floor. It was heavily used before the GH but anything that gets carried up has to get carried back down and I find that they just don't get the care that the downstairs & GH plants do since we currently don't use the second floor for anything else and there aren't many plants up there. Here are a few pics of my jungle.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9449240

Love it Holly! Reminds me of 25 years ago when every room in my house was filled with plants.Just can't keep up with that anymore.

Lynn
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9449260

Jaw dropping Holly!! I need to come and visit you...I can bring extra plants to replace to "holes" when I leave lol You have a great set up there with great natural light :)

Connie
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9449280

Thanks, Benefits of a passive solar house. Both DH Ric and I love to garden and there are just so many beautiful plants. We have about an acre of land that is house and gardens.

Oh BTW Connie, When you come we can do a Yard Tour with a shovel. Don't worry I have plenty of shovels don't have to bring your own. LOL

This message was edited Mar 14, 2013 4:37 PM
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9449552

Passive solar house?? Might have to have some details d-mailed to me on that one. Cool! We are on our way. We can fire up that grill when we get there too ::))) LOL!!

Connie

p

Cymbelina

Cymbelina
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9449639

So I got back to my office finally this afternoon and just couldn't wait to see how all the new flowers in my collection were faring. Some of the new miniatures either had a little shock or got scorched, I can't tell which, but there were several leaves lost :( I rearranged and hope they're far enough from the window but I plan to get in early tomorrow so I can see what kind of sun They're getting. Holly---I so envy you and your great natural light and windows. I don't know what was up with whoever put the windows in my hous, but I can't really open them and no light or air comes through! I just think it had to have been energy conservation run amok and someone trying to block out our intense heat and sun. aspenjocop, I've already started looking and scheming about some plant stands even though I love the table there I've been trying to figure out where else it can go ;)

Holly, I love moss. It takes me back to my childhood when I ran like a wild child through the woods around Lake Lanier in north Georgia while my Dad was in Vietnam. It was there that I fell in love with ferns and mosses. I've done several terrariums with varied success but the most amazing terrarium was one I found out in the woods around Auburn. Someone had thrown out a small clear juice bottle and I don't know how long it sat there before I found it. Some red Alabama clay had washed in there and moss grew on it. I took it home and set it on the window ledge in my bathroom. Over the next 5 years, I watched that tiny microcosm and saw tiny blooms and grasses come up and fade away day by day. It was magical! So here are some photos of what I found when I finally got to see how all the new ones were doing. The new miniatures I got weren't in bloom, though one had buds. I can't wait to see them bloom!

Thumbnail by Cymbelina   Thumbnail by Cymbelina   Thumbnail by Cymbelina      

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9449720

What a lovely story. I think my love of moss came from walks in the woods with my parents when I was young. Back then you would take sunday afternoon drives and we always went to some beautiful wooded area. We have beautiful woodland behind our house and when my children were young we would hike all over it and I would show them all the different type of moss and other plants that grow there.
What beautiful plants you have there.
Connie I can do that. Might have Ric send it.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 14, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9449787

Very pretty Cymbelina!

Holly Ann, those pictures are so nice!

This message was edited Mar 14, 2013 9:33 PM
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2013
9:52 PM

Post #9449834

Wow Holly! That room and all your plants look fantastic!

Cymbelina... what a nice office area! So pretty! I do have one strep and a spider plant at my desk at work too!

Karen
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2013
9:54 PM

Post #9449836

And just so you can see I do grow more than just streps (ha ha)...

My Seemania purpurascens has a fuzzy bud on it!

And my Sinn. leucotricha waking up!

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9450043

Great close up!

Connie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9450408

Nice pictures Karen.

Lynn
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9459083

S. Bristol's Psychedelic Sun
S. DS-Mysticism

chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 23, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9459124

Nice growing, Karen.
Chiqui
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9459362

Karen,'
Your Streps. are always perfect!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 23, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9459579

So pretty, Karen!
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
10:24 PM

Post #9459729

Thanks all! Lynn, they are hardly perfect... but I do try to get a pic when they look nice.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9461625

Here are a few new ones.

Hello America
Santee Sioux
Le-Koral' Atrum?
Garnet Elf

Thumbnail by lbrabec   Thumbnail by lbrabec   Thumbnail by lbrabec   Thumbnail by lbrabec   

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9461631

And some not so new.
S. Fuschia Treasure
S. Bright Eyes x self

I have more I will post later.
Lynn

Thumbnail by lbrabec   Thumbnail by lbrabec         

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9461892

Beautiful Lynn!

Love the super dark red AV, and the Sinningias especially!
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9461926

You got some nice new ones Sis!! Love your "not so new" ones too :)

Connie
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 26, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9463130

Pretty new photos.
Printmaster
Briaroaks, TX

April 1, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9468647

Hello everyone.
Just joined this group (DG).
I have Brugmansia, Plumeria, AV's and just starting out with Streps.
I live just south of Ft. Worth Texas.

Happy April!

Lonnie
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9468669

Welcome Lonnie!! A few of us are also members of another group you have just joined ::))) Glad to see you on both of them!!

Connie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9468723

Hi Lonnie,
Welcome to our group :-)

Lynn
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9468808

Welcome Lonnie, nice to have you here.
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2013
3:23 AM

Post #9469419

Welcome Lonnie! I have seen you "around" on other groups as well!
Hope you enjoy it here at DG! Lots of info here for your other plant interests too!

Karen
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2013
10:43 AM

Post #9469778

Let's move on into April!

Please join us over here to continue the chat, sharing, and learning!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1305363/
jannich
Andalusia, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9470082

Hi Lonnie,Welcome aboard.

Jan
Sallysblooms
South, TX

April 2, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9470275

Welcome Lonnie! Sally

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America