Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: no sun

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 4, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AnnFran
East Greenbush, NY

March 1, 2013
4:09 PM

Post #9435822

Hi Everyone, There hasn't been sun since I planted my seeds and none in the forecast for this week. Some seeds need sun to germinate...
You think they will get enough thru the plastic milk container? (that is if the sun ever returns)
Oh, and I read somewhere to use seed starting mix and I did !!!! Hope my plants won't all fall apart when transplanting.
Live and learn i guess.
AnnFran in zone 5 where everyone has CabinFevor

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9435937

Hi Ann! =)

I'm pretty sure your seeds will be just fine... how long ago did you sow them? Being winter sown, they're going to need those cold-warm-cold-warm cycles, and they won't be ready for that sunshine just yet, so don't fret none yet. I don't think you need to worry about using the seed-starting mix either, I just hope it doesn't have too much (or any?) fertilizer in it. A little tiny bit probably won't hurt, but really, plants shouldn't be fertilized until they are.. well.. plants. ;)

Try not to worry too much, they most likely will be Okey Dokey. :)
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 2, 2013
3:50 AM

Post #9436217

I agree! Just be patient! The seeds know when to germinate!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2013
5:15 AM

Post #9436261

Yes, CL said it perfectly, they do know what to do and when to do it. =) They will probably wait more patiently for the sunshine than we do. ;)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9436716

I have found many folks put their containers in full shade in these beginning months anyways.

since I am generally home, i'll put mine in the sun, only to have them germinate, then get really cold again -- and I have to protect them so they don't freeze.

this year, i'm spending my 'sowing months' in florida... so i have not done any yet... will be home soon though...

So, as stated... no sun is not an issue this time of the year... the seeds will germinate when the weather conditions are just right.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America