Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Tree - new green coloured leaf ID

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 16, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

RosinaBloom

RosinaBloom
Waihi
New Zealand

March 1, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9435904

Tree - new green coloured leaf ID, please

Thumbnail by RosinaBloom   Thumbnail by RosinaBloom   Thumbnail by RosinaBloom   Thumbnail by RosinaBloom
Click an image for an enlarged view.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9435967

I wonder if that's Ailanthus altissima http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1699/

RosinaBloom

RosinaBloom
Waihi
New Zealand

March 1, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9436036

To my eye...the little branchlets and leaves seem to be spreading upwards and outwards as in photo #3 above - almost bambooish? It's a tall, mature tree.

In the Ailanthus altissima link you gave me...my photos there depict darker, downward leaves...so not sure.
vngarden
Seattle, WA

March 1, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9436077

I'm thinking of Sambucus canadensis?

RosinaBloom

RosinaBloom
Waihi
New Zealand

March 1, 2013
9:59 PM

Post #9436161

Might need to get some more photos on this one...

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9436418

Not Ailanthus altissima (Simaroubaceae) - bark shown is plated and furrowed.

Not Sambucus canadensis, which is an oppositely arranged compound leaved species. This plant is alternately arranged.

I agree with another round of information, including collection of a branch in order to get some closeup images of stem, leaf, and buds. Also pics of the entire tree in its situation, and maybe closer shots of its main trunk.

I'm leaning toward some kind of nut tree, though there are plants like Toona sinensis (Meliaceae) that favor this look. These images are from a series of fine old specimens growing in Durand Eastman Park, Rochester NY (circa 2008).

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley   Thumbnail by ViburnumValley   Thumbnail by ViburnumValley   Thumbnail by ViburnumValley   Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9436579

Black Walnut Juglans nigra for me - the bark is too rough and fissured for Ailanthus, OK for Black Walnut; also the leaves don't have the basal lobules that Ailanthus usually shows. Not sure I can exclude Toona sinensis as a possibility though (ages since I've seen that!).

Resin

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9436653

"As...you...wish..." (The Princess Bride, 1987)

Here are some more images of Toona sinensis from the Rochester trees.

I can't see the bark clearly enough on the images RosinaBloom has provided thus far to say. Chinese Toon has plating and exfoliating bark, and I find that quite different from Black Walnut - which is usually ridged and furrowed.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley   Thumbnail by ViburnumValley   Thumbnail by ViburnumValley   Thumbnail by ViburnumValley   

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9436655

Here are some additional images for Toona sinensis.

First image is an old tree at Monticello - Thomas Jefferson's estate in Virginia outside Charlottesville.

Two through four are an old tree at the Swannanoa estate (built by James Dooley in the 1920s), near the Blue Ridge Parkway where it intersects with I-64 in western Virginia. Many old conifers on that property, too.

Fifth image are open seed capsules from Toona sinensis - I am fascinated by their resemblance to flowers opening.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley   Thumbnail by ViburnumValley   Thumbnail by ViburnumValley   Thumbnail by ViburnumValley   Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9436662

Toona sure does have similar foliage.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9436675

OK - I'll feed the growin' desire for more Toona sinensis images.

These are all foliage and crown images from the Rochester trees.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
1:28 PM

Post #9436694

lol. RosinaBloom pointed out the upward growth/leaves which are more downward in Ailanthus. The venation looks right, colour, etc. I'm convinced it is Toona. A trunk photo would help solve this one. Thanks VV.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2013
2:06 PM

Post #9436738

My cup runneth over...

I just never get to post tree pictures much any more - so, consider the pressure released for now.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9436755

Online tree therapy. It's a good thing.

One point I was trying to figure out is the part of the petiole that attaches to the stem is pronounced in RosinaBloom's photos. I was trying to figure out if it was a match to your photos of Toona.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9436828

One interesting point about Rosina's pics - they show a tree with leaves with a mix of odd-pinnate (with a terminal leaflet) and even-pinnate (without a terminal leaflet) leaves.

Resin

RosinaBloom

RosinaBloom
Waihi
New Zealand

March 2, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9436884

This is indeed wonderful 'online tree therapy' right here...thank you growin!

vngarden, thank you for your input.

The 'fine old specimens of Toona sinensis (Meliaceae)' are looking closer to where we're going with this I think, VerburnumValley. Thank you.

Well, Resin, we can't count out your Black Walnut (Juglans nigra) just yet either until I get over to get more detailed photos.

RosinaBloom

RosinaBloom
Waihi
New Zealand

March 5, 2013
9:54 PM

Post #9440257

I'll put this one on hold for the present until I can get some more photos.
Thank you all.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America