Photo by Melody

Mid-South Gardening: March, 2013: Is it spring yet?

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 173, Views: 1,112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9435990

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296948/#new

Time for a new thread! In my neck of the woods, the temp never got above 34F today and it was spitting snow!! Hopefully, some of you folks further to the south are having more spring-like weather.

Join us here for chatting and sharing of photos of your new spring blooms.

We have had some daffodils blooming and a few crocus, but that is all. However, I was surprised yesterday when I was out walking around and looking at the flowerbeds. I actually found new leaves on some of the plants: a monarda, a gaillardia and Gunny's Rose are all putting out new leaves, plus the naked ladies are coming up, too, along with some other things I can't yet identify. You could have knocked me over with a feather! I just hope they don't get frostbite.

Here is a photo of a bouquet of daffodils which Al picked. Most of these daffodils are from old beds which have been around for several years and they obviously need to be divided because the blooms are not big at all.

Thumbnail by marsue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9435995

My bridal wreath is blooming, and my Japanese Maples are beginning to get new leaves. We've been cool the past few days, and expect low 30's this weekend. So it isn't quite here yet,but it is certainly not far away! I can't wait.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9436343

I just looked out the window and we have some fine snow falling right now! Also had snow and sleet last night in the evening and some overnight apparently but nothing on the ground. I don't think this is supposed to stick either but you never know.

We've had daffodils blooming for a couple of weeks, plus the lenten roses have been beautiful. I noticed small pink buds on my saucer magnolia (tulip magnolia) but this cold weather will probably kill them. The few tulips I have were also coming up as well as some later blooming daff buds, but I haven't been able to walk around much in the yard to check out much else.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9436362

This weather has been CRAZIER than normal. We're suppose to go to 30 tonight ourselves than Mon. it will be back in the 70's. My sinus' are all messed up. I wonder why? LOL!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 2, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9436369

We got a little snow too we are around 34 I think. Old wives tail says rain on the first of the month will mean 15 rainy days, hope it doesn't count for snow!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9436377

The weather has been yukky here all week! No snow or sleet but it's cold, damp and windy!
I've got to get out and clean up the layer of green pine needles that's all over my beds! I got all the limbs up but I still have those little pieces of pine from the branches all over the beds. Not this weekend however!

My daffodils have been blooming for several weeks now too. My quince and some of my camellias are blooming. My lenten roses have also been really pretty I see lots of things coming up.

I saw some tulips blooming in the neighborhood this week. I don't plant tulips myself. I love them but so do the squirrels. After planting them one year and having the squirrels relocate them all over the yard I gave up on that!

My tulip magnolia also has a lot of buds getting ready to open. The snow broke at least a third of it off!! It's a 40 year old tree so it's really big (or least it used to be really big!).

I cut all the Carolina Jasmine and Confederate Jasmine off the top of the metal arbor. The top is broken loose from one side support of the arbor. Trying to figure out if there is some way that can be fixed rather than taking the whole thing down. A lot of my gardening this spring is going to be damage control!

I've discovered we also have coyotes in addition to all the other wild animals roaming through the neighborhood. My neighbor down the street that has chickens as had coyotes eat all but 4 of her chickens! She has seen them in the broad daylight with her chickens in their mouth!!! There are several creeks that run all through LR. Her house backs up to a creek that goes for miles through LR. They seem to be coming from the creek. Beginning to feel like I'm in the wild west! I live IN THE CITY!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9436379

We did a cross post Sandra. Hope your old wives tale is not right!!!!! Ready for spring!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9436425

I hope your old wives tale is not correct, as well, Sandra! We had a "skiff" of snow on the ground this morning but it isn't enough to hamper travel or anything.

Charlotte, I am totally amazed that your neighborhood has coyotes!! They must be really desperate for something to eat to come into the city that way. I guess the rapid westward growth of Little Rock the last 20 or 30 years has pushed the wildlife to acclimating themselves to city life, too. :( My sister and my aunt and my mother all lived in your neighborhood for many years. I love that part of Little Rock.

By the way, Charlotte, if you have a sprig of that Carolina Jasmine to spare, could you stick some in a jar of water and root it for me? I love the fragrance of Carolina Jasmine but I wish it bloomed all summer instead of just in the spring.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9436448

I have TONS of Carolina Jasmine so I have plenty to spare. I have it in three other places. I'll stick some in some water but not sure how successful it will be at rooting.

Coyotes have been in Pleasant Valley for a long time but it's the first I've known of them being on this side of 430. A lady in Leawood (same creek runs by her house) found a coyote fighting with her 2 dogs in her backyard last week. This was in the daytime! Her dogs were injured but ok (think they were pretty big dogs). She called animal control or wildlife control or someone and they captured it and she posted a picture. Very mangy scraggly looking thing!!! My neighbor said the ones she has seen have also been very mangy! Some theory about they run in packs and the fittest survive and the weak get left behind.

There are also bobcats up on Palisades in the Heights. Someone has taken pictures of them in their backyard and posted just recently! I think it is because we are so close to the river and all the creeks that run through here. We also have patches of completely wooden areas mixed in with our very populated neighborhoods.

So far no deer!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9436451

Here's a picture of the one they captured in Leawood. My neighbor says the ones she has seen looks just like this one. All mangy!

Thumbnail by cperdue

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9436454

Charlotte, the same thing is happening in a lot of populated areas in Huntsville and Decatur the past few years. Small dogs and cats have been either disappearing or found dead in back yards in some neighborhoods, especially ones bordered by woods or near the mountains. I guess they are foraging for food, especially this time of year when things get more scarce in their normal environment. I know even in the country they seem to appear more, and so do the deer, around this time of year when other food sources are depleted. That's another reason they don't look well fed. Our neighbors who keep horses can often hear them howling at night in the distance but that is usual out here.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9436457

Pleasant Valley (just a couple of miles away) had been having small dogs and cats disappearing too.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 2, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9436556

Marilyn, I have that vine all over the ground rooted, I can pull some up for you if Marilyn can't root it, I have it out in the pine trees now--lol
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9436777

Thanks, Charlotte and Sandra, for offering the Carolina Jasmine. I just love that stuff!!

We have coyotes around here but we do, after all, live in the Ozark Mountains. We keep Laddy's doggie door closed at night so he won't run outside if the coyotes come this way. We have a fenced back yard but coyotes have been known to scale fences. My friend, Kelli, who lives in California, said her DH found the remains of a cat in their back yard and they don't own a cat so they figured a coyote had chased one into their yard and caught it. :(

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9436803

The coyote in Leawood was in a fenced in back yard (privacy fence). So he had jumped or climbed the fence to get in where her dogs where. My neighbor down the street has a fence around her yard also. She had about 20 chickens and she is now down to 4.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 3, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9437885

Charlotte, did they test that coyote to see if it was rabid?

We have enough deer to make up for you not having any... I counted 20 the other night outside my back yard!

Marilyn, thanks for starting the new thread! :-)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9437900

Yes Genna they tested the coyote in the picture. It had been fighting with dogs and the dogs were injured so the owners wanted to make sure the coyote was not rabid.

I wouldn't mention it on any other forum, but my neighbor actually shot 2 coyotes in her yard. Don't know how many have been coming around.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9438344

Can't say that I blame your neighbor, Charlotte. In a way it is more humane to shoot them than to let them starve. :(

We are heading for a high of 60F here in the Ozark Mountains today but it won't last long. Tomorrow our high will be 40F with wind speed being up to 40 mph so it will definitely be a windy day tomorrow. I'm soooo ready for spring!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 4, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9438466

Windy here today too---Jerry is in Memphis getting his last blood check for the research program, we have been blessed beyond measure through this. It seemed such a long time when we first found out what he would have to do, but Praise God he has made it to the finish line !
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 4, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9438558

Windy here today although not as bad today as it was yesterday and at least it is warmer!!

Sandra, Jerry's treatment was indeed a miracle. Will they not do any more checking after today?

I need ya'lls help. I posted on FB, but Jessica is in a contest on the Toms website to try to win one of 50 trips to help deliver Tom's shoes to kids in need out of the country. She is SO wanting to do this - especially since Kyle has been to Africa and Saudi. But, she logged over 2000 community service hours in HS and has been wearing Toms for the past 6 yrs so this is more than just winning a trip. Could you please take the time to vote for her? http://www.toms.com/ticket-to-give/flags/7184

You can only vote once per email, and if you use this link, I think you have to set up an account providing an email, and a password. IF you link thru FB, I don't think you have to set up an account. It won't let me link to hers because I have already voted for her, and I can only vote once. so, it won't let me even view her profile anymore.

If you have friends or family that would be willing to take the time to vote for her, we would sure appreciate the help! There are over 4000 entrants for the 50 slots - so it will strickly be about who can generate the most votes! Thanks!!

This message was edited Mar 4, 2013 2:11 PM

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 4, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9438595

I voted and was number 18.
Jerry just called and said he will not go back to research any more but his Doc wants to check him in 6 months and then again in one year after that. He just wants to keep a check and if all is clear by that time he will release him.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9438994

I voted. I was 38.

Sandra that's wonderful about Jerry!! God is good!!

I'm so ready for Spring also. Daylight savings time starts this Sun!!!!! HOORAY! Love long days.
I don't know where the winter went however. I have lots of things I try to get done in the winter but don't think I've gotten any of it done! I guess I have too much going on! But don't plan to change that!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9439015

I was number 37 Genna!!! I hope she makes it.

Sandra that is the BEST news!!! I know Yall are over the moon!!!!

I had to go get Breanna from school. She is upset at her daddy. She is on the verge of making herself sick. So now we have two 16 year olds at the house.

Jim goes to get his stitches out tomorrow and he is raring to get in his truck. He needs to seep the rings on his new motor? or something. LOL!!! He can't just crank it and let it run it smokes.

gen2026
Camden, AR

March 4, 2013
8:54 PM

Post #9439123

Thanks everyone! She has a long way to go on the voting, but hopefully, the votes will begin to come in and she will make the top 50. I figure she will need at least 400 - 500 votes for that ... possibly a lot more - it is just a guess! I appreciate the help though!

Sandra, that is great news! Glad to hear that at least his primary doctor is going to continue to monitor the situation! But, he has been truly blessed by being selected to be in the research project! Praise God!

Jeri, with two 16 yr old girls in the house, I bet Jim is ready to get in that truck! Especially since he is used to not having to deal with them! LOL... You have your hands full!

Charlotte, I agree, had lots I wanted to get accomplished too - never seem to get much done inside once the days get long, but I am ready for the longer days! NOT ready to give up an hour of sleep though... I hate that part! :( Oh well, can't have it both ways.

I think I am going to try to cut back my butterfly bushes tomorrow afternoon... I haven't cut them back because they never went completely dormant - and they are putting on new leaves... but I didn't cut my big one back last year and it didn't do very well, so I think I am going to take a chance and cut it way back. I have lots of stuff to clean up in the beds yet... and probably will still have at this time next year!

Headed to bed... have a good night everyone!

Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 5, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9439440

I am also ready for spring, it has been a long winter to ma as I have mostly stayed at home with Eli. He is getting to the stage where he is too busy to get dressed, I told him today he could just go naked when it gets warm enough, I wouldn't fight to get those clothes on him !
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9440026

I voted, Genna. I was 102. I will go to FB and share it there.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9440060

I was #105. Good luck to Jess!

Sandra, glad Jerry is doing so well.

Jeri, so glad Jim seems to be doing well too. I got my staples out of my knee today, yippee!! It feels so much better, but getting those little buggers out wasn't much fun, especially the ones right below the knee where there isn't much 'fat'. Whew! There were 14 total and most of them I couldn't even feel much but 1 or 2 in that below the knee area had sort of stuck to the skin and oh boy it sort of made my eyes water! Thank goodness it was over quickly. I can't wait to be able to take a shower and not cover everything up with waterproof stuff.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9440159

They took the staples out of his left leg today and put a needle into the swollen part of his right leg and withdrew over 70CC's of fluid. The pain stopped immediately but within 3 hrs it was swollen back up again. We go back in a week for the staples to be removed from the right leg and he's gonna inject something into the area that will cause the lymph node to heal.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9440246

Glad Jim got his staples out!! Know that really made him feel better!

Elaine glad you got your staples out also!! What a relief! How is your physical therapy going?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 6, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9440469

Elaine, I didn't know they opened your knee up, I thought you had a scope surgery. I don't know how you got right up and going like you did, but so glad you did. I know those staples did "ouch"

Jeri, does the doctor say Jim is doing as well as he should? That seems like a lot of swelling. I hope things have settled down with the grand kids now.

I had not though of sharing Jessica's page on FB-but I will try that too.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9440591

The swelling is from the nicked lymph node. They stitched it but it apparently is still leaking.

My DDIL had microscopic surgery on her shoulder and she had stitches at the 4 cut points that had to be removed.

I'll try to do that too Genna.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9440592

Yes, I had about a 1" incision on the lower right side of my left knee. The rest were arthroscopic 'holes' - 3 across the kneecap and one above. Weird to describe it but that's where the way they did it with the tendon implant. The staples where the incision were hurt the most because there really isn't much between your skin and bone there.

Charlotte to answer your question, the physical therpist calls me an 'overachiever', lol. She says I'm doing really well and am so far ahead of any of the patients they have that are 2 weeks out of surgery. I have great flexion and extension, so they are giving me more and more exercises to do. Can get on the stationary bike now and progress with more time there as we go. Plus more weight bearing exercises on the 'bad' leg. I still have some swelling, especially by the end of the day but keep icing it periodically helps. Plus Advil or Aleve. Thanks everyone for asking.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9440601

Elaine the fact that you are so active and are determined to get back to your usually activities is probably what has you so far ahead of schedule! That's great! I know you must have some pain with the therapy - but as they say no pain - no gain!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 6, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9440692

Knowing spring is just about here is helping also I am sure ! I really worked hard with my wrist last early spring too !
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 6, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9440937

Thanks everyone for all your support for Jessica. She is oscillating between # 70 and 80 or so... not bad considering there are over 4000 signed up, but if ya'll have good email friends or friends in your church that wouldn't mind voting for her I would sure appreciate the help. The key for sure if going to be getting a lot of networking and getting votes pulled in from people we don't personally know. We really do appreciate the help! Lots of days left to go so we are just trying to think outside the box to pull in groups of votes. :-)

Elaine, glad to hear that you got those staples out! I hate staples! I would rather have stitches anyday... they always irritate my skin and I am always more than ready to get them out!! Kyle was thankful he didn't have any when he had his gall bladder taken out because his classmate that had hers removed the month before had complained about her staples hurting much more than the incisions. It is great that your PT is going so well! You are so active and fit, I am sure it will progress quickly - and as Sandra says the thought of Spring weather and being able to get out and enjoy it is a great motivator!

Jeri, that does sound like a lot of fluid... I hope they get that issue resolved for him quickly! I bet he has cabin fever for sure by now! Was he anticipating being off this long? Do you still have both girls? I know you have your plate full currently...

Anyone on the list happen to have any experience with a subaru vehicle? Leigh is considering purchasing a used subaru forester or outback because of the all wheel drive... he knows that whenever bad weather hits - he WILL definitely be called out in this new job! He will have to have something dependable that can get him there. They have a little higher clearance than the average front wheel drive cars, and get a little better gas mileage than going to a 4 wheel drive pickup or SUV. Just was wondering if anyone had any experience with them...

Our local daffodil festival is this weekend and it looks like the daffodils are going to be in full bloom for it. Hopefully the weather will be nice and it will be a great weekend for it. Kyle and Jessi are coming home and bringing a few friends so it should be a fun weekend - although not sure how we are going to workout getting a vehicle too since that is the only day Leigh has to look! LOL... should be interesting...

Jessi is actually coming home this afternoon after lab - so I will have company tonight! :-) She has an appointment with the surgeon in the morning at the clinic, and an appointment to get her hair cut, then she will be back to school for classes tomorrow and then home again. It has taken 2 months almost to get her in to see the surgeon - but we are expecting to have her surgery on the 18th - the first day of spring break.

Hope everyone has a great day!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9441174

Hooray for Elaine and Jim getting their staples out!! So sorry about the excess fluid on Jim's right leg. Sure hope they can get that corrected soon.

Genna, have a good week-end with the family!! I don't have any experience with a Suburu but maybe somebody else here can give you some input.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9441300

I sold them back in the 70's. Very rugged vehicle but back then it was hard to get parts for it.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9441811

Genna, whenever we go out west (Colorado, Utah, etc) we see a lot of them in the mountains. Really, it's like a commercial. I don't know anything about them, but they appear to be popular out there.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9442009

Subaru and Jeeps in Colorado etc.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9442070

You see a few Subaru's around Little Rock. People mainly use Jeeps and other 4 wheel drive suv's. Don't know anyone personally that owns or has owned a Subaru.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 7, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9442350

I bought a new one several, maybe 25 years ago, it was a great car.

I think it got really good gas mileage too

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9443199

Had to take Jim back to the Dr. yesterday and they drained his leg again of 70 CC's of fluid. They injected something that will hopefully heal the lymph node and he goes back Tue. If this hasn't worked then we'll have to go back in for another surgery. There is drainage still going on now but maybe only 1/2 has much as before. We're having to keep an eye on the area b/c the Dr. said if things go wrong the area around the injection spot will turn black and then they will have to cut that out also.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9443207

That doesn't sound good Jeri!!! Hopefully the injection will do the trick and he want have to have another surgery. Are you keeping him out of the truck!?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9443216

He hasn't driven the truck yet but has the car since he is only taking the pain meds at night. He just came in from a walk and said that it is as swollen now as yesterday. This is sounding more and more like another surgery.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 8, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9443246

Poor Jim. We went to doc with Eli today too, he has croup and he sounds so pitiful, got 3 scripts for him

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9443370

Sandra that is going around here also and strep. Ashley's BFF has the strep so I have been using disinfectant everywhere. My mom use to hold an ice pack on my throat and it would freeze it and relieve the cough. I think I was born with bronchitis. Hope he feels better soon and his priceless smile be back in place.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9443415

Sandra hate to hear that little Eli is sick!!! Just hate for little ones to be sick! They just don't understand what's going on!
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 9, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9443664

Jeri, sorry to hear that about Jim! It sure sounds like they will be going back in - hopefully that will help it resolve quickly. I bet he is ready to get going again!

Sandra, so sorry to hear that Eli is sick. I agree it is the worst when little ones are sick...

Prayers needed here as one of our furbabies is very ill. I think she might have a brain or spinal cord tumor and is on a rapid deterioration! :( So, bad that Jessica cancelled brining her friends home today, and rode home with Kyle last night for fear Maggie (one of our french bulldogs) wouldnt make it thru the night. It is very hard on all of us... and the outcome does not look good.

Hope ya'll enjoy the luncheon today! I know you will have a great time. I am looking forward to at least going to part of the festival with the kids...trying to put a little bright spot in what may be a very rough weekend.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9443708

I'm so sorry about your Maggie. We have 3 geriatric dogs at our house (and one that we wish was geriatric:) and one of the Dalmatians is unable to get up by himself. Once he is up, he is ok walking around, but if he gets back down, he can't get himself up again. New meds, exercises, and we'll just have to see how it goes. Hoping it is this cold spell we've had the past week, but don't know. Look at that happy face!

Thumbnail by happytail

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9444275

Genna & happytail I am sorry to hear about your loved fur babies being under the weather. Hope things improve for both of you.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 10, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9444719

Well, we lost our beloved Maggie about 4pm yesterday... she died in my arms in "our" chair. To think that 2 days ago, the vet and i both thought she was having trouble with a slipped disc in her back. We went from that to seizures, walking in circles without stopping, not having any idea who we were or where she was at, to a slight improvement where at least she knew who we were. I knew we were going to have to put her down, but Alex wanted to be there. He was not able to be here when i had to have my pry pts when she had cancer, he was not here last year when we lost Sam from his accident, so he asked me to please wait until he could be here. We never dreamed it would deteriorate so quickly! He has a test tomorrow and was not going to be able to come until it was over... It was the two days from H**l here... unbelievable how rapidly everything went. I am thankful I was able to hold her and let her know she was loved. But, now the house will be even more empty! :( We have her sibling, and her mother as well. They are both having a really hard time understanding it too. I am really concerned about her sister because she has NEVER been separated from her.

I know ya'll had a great day at the get together yesterday! I would have much rather been having friends with my gardening buddies!

Happytail, so sorry to hear about your furbaby's problems. I have heard of people giving vitamin e, and also glucosomine, and other joint meds to their dogs to help. Not sure if that would help since he can't get back up on his own... but I know that it has helped some of the older dogs have extended mobility. I thought I was going to have to call my chiropractor to see if he would try to examine Maggie - in fact, after our trip to the vet Thursday evening, I was planning to call them on Monday, because they are only open a short while on Fridays. I never dreamed she wouldn't be here on Monday.

How do you like your dalmation? i have been looking at dogs trying to decide on a new larger dog... that is one breed I looked at briefly, but I don't know a lot about them and I had heard there were a lot of health problems in some of the lines! We have lost one pyr to cancer at 3, one to an accident at 3, and now Maggie to a tumor or something at 6. I am ready to get a dog that will die of old age at 15 or so!!!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9444813

Jeri, I am so sorry to hear this latest about Jim. Prayers for you and him!! and also for little Eli and for you as you care for him, Sandra. It's hard when babies are sick because they don't understand what is happening and they can't tell you how they feel or where it hurts except to cry.

Genna: my heart is aching for you in the loss of your beloved Maggie. When my little Friday was run over back in Sept. of 2011 when I was still living with my daughter, her dog, Gideon, grieved for Friday as much as I did.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 10, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9444917

Yeah, Marilyn, I am really worried about Abby. She is very 'depressed' it seems - she is totally not herself. Jessica was really worried she might grieve herself to death - which I have witnessed once in my life. But, she has eaten a little and so i am not concerned about it being that extreme, but it will be awhile before she is back to her normal bouncy self. But, then it will take a while for all of us to recover.

Sandra, hope Eli is feeling better!

Jeri, hope Jim's leg is doing better as well!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9445039

Genna so sorry to hear about your Maggie! Didn't realize you had three dogs still. I was thinking the one that got hit by the car was the only dog.

The dog I had before we got Samantha had a similar thing happen to her. She was 11 so at least she was not so young like your dog. I had taken her to the groomer which was also in the vet's office. She had been going to the groomer every month since I had had her. After she was groomed and they had put her back in her crate they heard a strange noise and discovered she was having a seizure. The vet was right there and checked her. Nothing he could do. I'm assuming she had a stroke or something like that. She didn't know who we were, couldn't hold her head up and was in a funny sprawled position. As soon as I saw her I knew we had to put her down and right away! She had never had any problems like that before and was fine when I took her in to be groomed. I guess it's like with us you just never know when those things are going to happen.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9445218

Gen,
I'm so, so sorry about Maggie. Our dogs are our only children, and we get extremely attached. Dink, our 15 year old min pin died in my arms in May 2008, and I still cry about him. Jake, our 14 year old Dalmatian, was to the point of not being able to hold his head up to eat, and we agonized about putting him to sleep. But we just didn't feel like we had a choice. I love Dalmatians, and they are great dogs. Deafness is an issue, as well as skin problems and kidney stones. But all breeds will have their health issues. The two we have now are 12 and 13. Scooter, the 12 year old, is the one with the hip and back problems. Buddy, 13, has the blood work of a 3 year old, and the only problem is that he was born deaf, and he is losing his vision to cataracts also. Many people think they are supposed to be happy-go-lucky dogs, like labs, but that isn't their usual personality. They are aloof to strangers, but love their family. Again, I'm so sorry about Maggie.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 11, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9445602

Yes, I had three french bulldogs inside , two now. One is the mother, and the other two were her babies. She had 4 babies - one male which we sold, one female that the breeder took. But the babies were born in early November, and the breeder kept changing her mind back and forth about WHICH female she wanted for the breeding fee. She didn't decide for sure until Mid February when she came down to the dog show and saw them all in person!!! By then, we were already really attached to all of them and we didn't feel like it was fair to separate the remaining sisters. We had originally just planned to keep one puppy - but ended up with two instead. Abby and Maggie we often jokingly referred to as Ying and Yang (in no particular order LOL) because Abby is cream colors, and Maggie was black with some brindle like her Momma. They were totally opposite as far as personalities - Abby was hyper, Maggie always calm and reserved. Abby would lick you to death, a kiss from Maggie was rare and special. Abby would be jumping and hitting the top of the crate ( a XL Pyrenees crate) in the morning before you could let her out, Maggie was more like me and NOT a morning dog... :-) They would even often lay curled up next to each other with their heads on opposite ends so they resembled the Ying Yang symbol and that is why they would get called that occasionally. She was one of the absolute sweetest,calmest dogs I have ever owned. She was also my fearless one! They were all three with me every step I took... and they loved to be outside with me in the yard. I know tonight will be really hard with just the three of us.

This first pic is of Maggie and me, the second was the norm at my house with all three piled in my lap anytime I set down - Maggie is on the far side, then the last is of Sugar (the mom) and Maggie (on the R) after a hard day of putting out mulch in the flower bed! :-) That supervising is HARD work... LOL

I would have gone bonkers without the girls these past few weeks...

Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9445776

Genna I am sorry that Maggie didn't make it!! I know you will miss her.

They have moved the Dollar General next door to the cabinet shop and Luckie wants to be their best customer. It has an automatic door and the big ox that Luckie is she is big enough for it to open and she just goes right in. Which amuses the customers but scares the little black girl that is the clerk to death. So now rain, wind or cold I am having to walk her on the leash. I don't know what I am gonna do with her!!!

The weather was beautiful here for the weekend but the rain moved in last night and is still raining. My daughter finished up her beds and got the mulch down. They look great. Now she has to finish the front door, she has it sanded and caulked but has to wait for dryer weather to paint it. I think she still has trim work in 2 rooms and 1 wall to paint completely. She is to meet with a lawyer Thur. for the correct process of serving her DH with papers and then I guess she will be out here also.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
11:35 AM

Post #9445936

Has Terrie told her husband of any of her plans or is this going to be a total surprise to him?

Having to walk your dog on a leash every day Jerri has to be a real pain!!! My back fence was down 2 days last week while it was being replaced and it was a pain just those two days! Mine are so used to going outside NUMEROUS times every day. Never for very long but it's in and out all day. Samantha loves to go outside and sit right outside the backdoor and watch the birds! She'll sit there about 10 or 15 minutes then turn around and start looking in the house and bark to be let back inside. She just sits there real still and the birds and squirrels keep on doing what they were doing. The back door is just a solid glass door but just looking out the door is not enough she needs to be on the other side of the door! LOL I have feeders they come to.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9445960

She hasn't told him but he HAS to be as miserable as she is.

Yes it is a real pain and I just walked her twice all the way to the pecan trees in the back and she came in and pooped on my LR carpet. Jim is ready to shoot her. I know she doesn't understand and we aren't conveying the message very well.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 11, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9446030

Have the pecan trees started to put on leaves yet?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9446065

They have their pooping routine and don't understand something different. Mine go in spots I would never take them on a leash. I can't get under the azaleas!!! LOL

Don't guess there is anyway you can let her run around in your garden area.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9446076

I don't even want to say this but no the pecans haven't even budded.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 11, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9446243

what kind of dog is she Jeri? I don't remember a dog... just all the cats! :) But then my memory is the pits!

It rained here all yesterday but was pretty cool today. Warmed up nice this afternoon - just a slight breeze since i have been home. Did a few things in my yard - just trimming up a few things. I have a LONG way to go. I finally cut back my largest butterfly bush (tree) - every year I would wait to cut it back but it would never lose all its leaves - it didn't this year either, but it is the closest I have seen it - so I whacked it way back. It had just gotten way too big and didn't bloom well last year either. MAYBE it will be ok. I also cut back my hot lips salvia because it had almost split last year and was laying down on each side so I trimmed it back some. Guess we will see if that hurts or helps!

weeds are everywhere!... :(

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9446331

One of my cousins is creating a really unusual water feature in her yard. She is taking an old upright piano and is going to have water flow over the key board into a gold fish pond! She's going to have potted plants sitting on the top of the piano and is going to put a mirror on the area behind the keys! Her husband is putting it in place now. He's using a fork lift looking thing on the back of his tractor. She's been talking about a piano waterfall. Didn't realize she meant a real piano!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9446382

Luckie is a blackish brown Labrador retriever. She is a sweet heart with those great big brown eyes.

I'm not seeing any new growth on my double pink knock out roses. The hair cut may have been too drastic but we did have that hard freeze last Sunday. It burnt a lot of stuff around here.

Charlotte that does sound neat doesn't it. Do you think she would let you post a picture? I for one would love to see it completed.

Tomorrow is the big day for Mary & Jim. Please pray that we have good results from both.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2013
7:28 PM

Post #9446424

Genna, so sorry you lost Maggie.

Charlotte, that piano waterfall and pond sounds complicated. Would love to see a picture when they get it finished. How will they waterproof it?

Will write more later. Am traveling. Waiting for alone. Knee much better. Jeri, hope Jim's leg is better too.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9446437

Jeri praying for good outcomes for both Mary and Jim!!

I've also wondered how she is going to waterproof it. Especially with water running over the keyboards! I'll post a picture when she is finished. She does some interesting things. She is a horse person and has an old doctor's buggy she takes people out in for special events (for a fee). She is also a musician and plays and sings mainly at horse shows. Have no idea where she came up with the idea for the piano waterfall.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 11, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9446458

Prayers for both Jim and Mary - hope you get great news with both of them... are you taking them both to the doctor? or do you have someone helping you?

The piano sounds needs but I bet it would be really hard to waterproof for long term use.
But, then old pianos are pretty cheap to come by - maybe she plans on replacing the piano in a few years.

Elaine, glad to hear the leg is doing good. Hope your traveling for something fun!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2013
1:49 AM

Post #9446567

I was already scheduled to take Mary to New Orleans when they scheduled Jim last week. So Jimmy is taking Jim to the Dr.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 12, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9447208

Any news yet? Eli is crawling everywhere, been chasing him all day !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9447431

We just got back from New Orleans. They did a biopsy of the mass and went in with a camera that he could see better details. He said the mass IS NOT attached to either the liver or the pancreas. Thank God!!! He did a needle biopsy and called the pathologist to confirm that he had indeed gotten some cells. We don't know if it is benign or cancerous but either way it is still coming from the ovaries. She will know more on 3/18/13.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9447486

That is good news that it's not attached to her liver or pancreas!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9447544

When Jimmy learned to crawl he went backwards, just like a crawfish.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9448045

I visited the National Gallery today and saw a painting by Raphael titled 'The Madonna of the Pinks'. Baby Jesus is handing a sprig of dianthus to the Virgin Mary, and it is explained that dianthus means flower of God in Greek. I did not know this. It is the sweetest painting, very small. Google it and look at it if you can. It went on to explain that the flower is believed to symbolize both divine and secular love and talked about its meaning in engagement, marriage, etc. I thought it was very interesting, and since I love dianthus, thought you all would enjoy hearing this story.

Jeri, glad you have some good news to share and hope you will have more!
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 13, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9448297

Sounds neat Elaine, I will google it.

Jeri, I had already commented on FB - but I am NOT patient and it seems like it is taking forever to get answers. But I am thankful that it wasn't on the pancreas or liver and praying hard that the cells are benign. I thought they removed her ovaries when this all started??
Am I remembering wrong? Heaven knows my memory is the pits!

Sandra, Eli will keep you hopping now... he will be walking in no time! :) Fun times for sure... although they can be trying at times too. Jessica never got to crawl much because Kyle was just a toddler and would crawl or walk over her all the time. She eventually just had to start walking so she could get somewhere! LOL

It is a BEAUTIFUL day here... Spring is in the air for sure! :-)

Genna

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9448501

I'm way behind. Al and I have been painting our kitchen--the wall behind the refrigerator and the soffits and the woodwork. Next week we will start on the countertops--I've been researching on the internet and find that you can paint formica counters to look like granite so we are going to give it a try. We have to have a new roof put on the house--the roofer is supposed to get started soon--and that is going to cost a bundle so no money for granite countertops right now. The faux look will have to do.

I agree with what the others have said about Jim and Mary. Prayers for both of them.

Elaine, are you supposed to be traveling this soon?

It's been a long day and I am headed for bed. We have another long day tomorrow but not for painting. Al has a stress test scheduled at the cardiologist in the morning and an appointment with the eye doctor in the afternoon so we will have to finish our painting on Friday. Talk to you ladies later.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 13, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9448510

Marilyn, hope both appointments go well! Sounds like ya'll have been busy. I bet the countertops will look great when you are done!

I have been busy this evening trying to get a bunch of files cleaned up and things filed away and tax stuff together. Have worked all evening, but you sure couldn't tell it by looking! :(
Oh well, that is how it goes I guess.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2013
8:56 PM

Post #9448605

They did a complete hysterectomy in Sept. 2008, I think it was, on Mary. They think this was there but small and missed until now. The cells originated in the ovaries so where ever it spreads it is called ovarian. Maybe someone with more understanding can explain it better.

We go back to Jim's Vascular Dr. tomorrow to see what the next step is now that it is still draining.

Marilyn, I'm glad somebody has energy to do work around the house. What color are you doing. I hope there aren't any problems tomorrow and the test are fine.

I stayed home last night from a ladies night at church so I could clean on my house. Bre's stuff is all over the boys room and I'm hoping they get it sorted out this weekend. I'm gonna try to stack it against the back wall tomorrow. I need to strip that bed and wash sheets b/c my nephew is due in tomorrow night. His daughter lives here in town and is expecting his 1st grand baby between now and 3/20/13. He can't stay with Crystal and Trevor since his ex is there. LOL!! Ought to be really interesting here this coming week.

Ashley threw up last night and couldn't make it to school. We're back to blain soft food. She goes back to Dr. Alberty Friday. I missed the 2nd visit with the counselor. I'm guessing she will think that I'm the problem.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 14, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9449028

I thought that I remembered reading that about the hysterectomy, but I wasn't positive. My Aunt died from ovarian cancer because the doctor she had refused to remove it surgically. I will NEVER understand that decision and I begged her to seek a second opinion. She was in Washington State and not where I could force her to go to someone else. Her doctor claimed that because of her prior heart problems it would be more risk for her to undergo surgery - her heart problems were relatively minor and it had been years earlier. She was exercising on a regular basis, was in great physical shape, and I knew the ovarian cancer would spread if left alone... She had had a hysterectomy years before but they had left the ovaries. When I had mine, and because she was my Mom's sister, I made the choice to have a complete so I didn't have to worry about it showing up! Praying that Mary gets answers soon and that they bring good news!

So sorry to hear that Jim is still having problems! Sounds like this has really turned into a mess - and I hate that because the next time he needs to go to the dr he will probably have a tendency to avoid it. Men are hard enough to get to the dr as it is!! :-) I sure hope they are able to get it resolved... it sure doesn't sound normal that he is still having so much drainage this far out from the procedure.

Jeri, IF ONLY, they knew what all you did!! They would know you are not the problem! I don't see how you do all that you do! I just hate hearing that she is sick again!! I was hoping they finally had her on the mend... It is a good thing you have an iphone! You need it just to keep up with all the dr appts you have to have everyone at!! Hugs to you! I wish we were closer so we could at least offer some help! I am praying and will keep doing so!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9449042

The problem is the counsler doesn't know me at all. She had only gone once and it was about Ashley not me. Would you believe I don't use the calendar b/c it is too small for my jittery hands.

Hope I get a chance to get in the yard the next few days but not looking good. I have 2 meetings tomorrow.e

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 14, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9449214

I was watching the doctors the other day when Valarie Harper was on. They explained it like this. Cancer always starts somewhere, when they do surgery to remove it, if any tiny cell gets away, it will get in the blood stream and travel around in the body until it finds another place to grow. Anywhere Mary has cancer, will always be called ovarian cancer. They said Valarie had lung cancer.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 14, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9449539

Yes, I can understand about the calendar... but I THOUGHT there was a way for you to sync the calendar with your ipad? or even an apple computer? I might be wrong about that - but I thought you might have better luck entering appts etc on the ipad or computer...
Just a thought. I am calendar dependent at this point... I even use the calendar to remind myself to do things - for instance to take Jessica's down pymt for her surgery by the clinic today, and to remember the call to cancel the insurance on leigh's vw beetle because EVEN THOUGH the insurance company totaled the car and paid us for it - they do not automatically remove it from the policy... :(

Jeri, hope ya'll get some more info about Jim this time!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9449575

I use nothing but the calendar on my iphone. I don't even let them give me appointment cards. I just put it in as soon as they give me the appointment. Then I set up 2 reminders. One the day before and the other 1 hour before. Whatever I put in my iphone calendar automatically goes to my ipad and to the cloud. I can also sync it to my laptop (Toshiba)

I think Spring is here!!! I just discovered hostas coming up in my yard despite all the pine cones and pine debris still on top of them. Some are several inches tall. I've got to find time to clean up my yard!!

I think when cancer spreads like Sandra is talking about they call it "metastasized" . May not have it spelled right. That's why I had to have a full body scan a year after I had thyroid cancer. They were looking for spots that may have metastasized in some other area.

I read a book about a year ago that was really fascinating. Can't remember the name of it. It's been on the best seller list. It is not fiction - all true. It was about a black lady that had ovarian cancer back in the forties. They took cells from her and they have been used in research all over the world. They continue to grow and grow very rapidly. Cells from her are still in existence today. I'll have to see if I have the book around or try to remember the name of it.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 14, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9449728

I read that book too, I am going to google, but think--Henrietta ?
Yes, that is it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Lacks

Tat was a very good book

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9449743

Yes that's it Sandra!!! Was a very good book. I recommend reading it.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9449772

Sorry Yall it's been a busy day today and will be tomorrow also. Jim went to the Dr. and they took out only 10 cc's this time so it's getting better but the area is hard and we thought that was all swelling but it's the stuff they injected. It's causing scar tissue that they are hoping with seal the lymph node. We'll find out Tue. how it's doing so maybe just a little longer.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9450077

Wow, Jeri, you and Jim are really going through things! Hugs and prayers for both of you! and prayers, too, for Mary and Ashley.

Al's eye appointment went well. He does have cataracts but the doctor says it will be probably a year before it is necessary for him to have surgery to remove the cataracts. We won't know the results from the stress test until early next week.

We are starting on re-doing our countertops today. I'll take before and after photos to share with ya'll.

You ladies have a good day and a blessed week-end!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9450183

Marilyn you all may already know this but just thought I would pass the information along anyway. Some prostrate drugs can cause complications with cataract surgery. Richard had cataract surgery several years ago and had been taking Flomax. His doctor knew he had been taking it and knew he was going to have to use a different procedure because of it. However, he ended up having LOTS of complications after surgery. He ended up having to go to another eye doctor that specialized in complications and had to have another procedure. His eye is fine now but it was almost year ordeal getting it back to normal. So just thought I would pass the information along to you.
http://news.healingwell.com/index.php?p=news1&id=534416

Hope your countertops turn out the way you want them. I bet they will.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2013
5:31 PM

Post #9451693

thanks for posting that link, Charlotte. I have bookmarked it and will print out that information.

I am going to post 3 collages which will show you some of the before and during photos of our kitchen remodel.
The first collage shows the soffit in the two photos on the left after Al had cut in the paint. You can see the light gray against the old "Navajo White". In the bottom left photo you can see the old window trim before I painted it. The top right photo shows the window trim after the first coat of white paint. The countertops don't really look that bad in this photo but the bottom photo shows a close-up of the old formica with the gold specks.

The second collage shows in the upper left photo a view of the bar with the three-tiered shelf at the end which will also be painted white. If you look closely you can see the brown area beside the sliding glass door next to the upper cabinet. That will be covered by a smaller three-tiered shelf which I am painting white. Al took it down so it would be easier for me to paint. The upper right photo is the old stainless steel sink which we are replacing. The lower left photo shows Al replacing the board at the back of the sink. The lower right photo shows an over-all view of the countertop before I started painting it. The stove is pulled out from the wall and is covered with the striped sheet.
The cabinets are covered in cheap black plastic bags which I cut down one side so they would cover more area. I also put down plastic and newspaper on the floor

This third collage shows various views of the countertop after I painted it with the gray base coat. Because of the light coming in from the kitchen window and sliding glass door it is hard to really see the color but it is a medium gray.
I like it just like this but there are two more steps in this process. I am going to try to make the countertops look like a light gray granite. We'll see if I can do it. lol

I forgot to say that the ceramic tile backsplash is going to be covered in silver-colored tin-look panels that will be attached with a double-sided tape. The ceramic tile is still in good shape but the grout is dirty and I just want a different look.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2013 7:36 PM

Thumbnail by marsue   Thumbnail by marsue   Thumbnail by marsue      

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9452199

I'm sure it's going to look really good when your through Marilyn. The Fuller and Son I go to all the time had a sample made up a while back and it looked good. You probably have to paint on the veining and then put a top coat over that to seal it all. I used to do some faux marbling back years ago. I used a feather to make the veins. I never did anything for my house - it was all for stuff in my antique booth.

It was a beautiful day here yesterday. It got up to 85!!! Going to cool down some this week. But spring is here and time to finish outside clean up and get ready for planting! Going to try and get out this afternoon and get more of mess my out back cleaned up.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9452532

Charlotte, it is a 3 step procedure and there really won't be any veining. It is not a marble look but more like granite. A decorative sponge, not a kitchen sponge, is used to "dab" the paint on for the granite look. I will practice on a board first before doing the countertops.
Yesterday was beautiful here, too, --up in the 70's, though a bit windy later in the day. Today the temps are much cooler--currently 39F--and overcast. It was raining earlier this morning. Not a good day to open windows so I will wait until tomorrow to continue the painting.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, ladies!!

This message was edited Mar 17, 2013 2:48 PM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9452654

Your talking about a sea sponge. I also use that in marbling and other techniques. I have several of them. They are good for blending several colors as well as layering different colors. My grandson was quite impressed with my collection of artist brushes and other supplies of that type!! LOL I have several painting projects in the garage I'm working on right now. Need to get one of them finished tonight!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9454107

Just stopping by to let Yall know that the results came back on Mary today and we think it's not good. The report described it as a poorly differentiated carcinoma. We googled that and it said it was stage 3.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9454137

Jeri so sorry to hear that! Praying for Mary and for all of you!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9454512

Same here, Jeri. Praying for Mary and all of you!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9454623

Me too, Jeri, prayers are with all of you. Hugs all the way around!
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 19, 2013

Post #9454632

Jeri, so sorry to hear the news on Mary! Still praying for Mary and all of you!

Marilyn, looks like ya'll have quite a project going! I am sure it will look great when you are finished! We have been in our house almost 10 years! That doesn't seem possible!! I really need to do some painting, but we have all stained wood trim and I know that once I start repainting it will be hard to keep off all the trim. Of course, all the walls were painted before the trim was put up so it was much easier during construction! :) I am just not fond of painting!

Jessica had gall bladder surgery yesterday. We were at the hospital before 8 but they were behind schedule and we finally got to leave about 4:30... I have been fighting a kidney stone since Sunday evening so it was a LONG day. She did great though and had a good night. Hopefully she will have a speedy recovery and get to enjoy at least part of her spring break.

We made a mad dash to Dallas Saturday afternoon because we found a used Subaru that Leigh was interested in - we called to make sure they had it, find out info on it, etc before we left... then got about 40 minutes away from home and started hearing noises from my suburban... pulled over and decided it was a u joint, so we had to go back and change to Kyle's car. That put us later getting to Dallas of course, but meanwhile, halfway there the sales manager calls to tell me we will not be able to look at that car today! Of course, he knows we are coming from Camden, so he tells us they will deliver it back to us on Monday and that IF it is not as they say or for any reason we decide we don't want it - they will tear the paperwork up. They have others with the same engine, etc that we can test drive. So, we go on the rest of the way to Dallas and are at the dealership for almost 3 hrs because they sold 3 or 4 cars back to back and only had one finance person! Anyway, they know Jess is supposed to be having surgery on Monday and they are going to deliver the car to us. Then LATE yesterday afternoon, we get a phone call that the car is NOT able to be certified because there was a point that couldn't be satisfied on the inspection... and they will NOT be delivering the car! :( So, now, the suburban is in the shop, and Leigh is driving Jessica's car in LR this week. It has really messed us up on getting Leigh a car...about the only good thing was that we got to spend some nice time together - and that we got to do a little shopping on Sunday and went back to a restaurant that we had been wanting to take Leigh to since we went last July... so that part was good. Now, we are BACK to looking for a car!!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9454916

Jeri, so sorry about Mary. We all were praying for something better.

Marilyn, good luck with that ambitious project you've got going!

Genna, you always look on the bright side of things. I would have stayed home when that u joint went bad.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 19, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9454990

I too hate to hear about Mary. God has a plan in all this, we may never know the reasons, but He does.
Tell Mary I love her.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9455389

I will and you all mean the world to her too!! She sees the oncologist on 4/4/13. I know she would have given up a long time ago if not for the kind words of encouragement from Yall!!!

Jim has to be at the hospital for 6:00 AM. They are gonna go in and try to seal the nicked lymph node again and drain off any drainage that has occurred since today. They pulled over 3 tubes of drainage this AM.

I worked for 8 hrs. Sat in my yard and could hardly move for church Sun. I am really out of shape!!! One of the greeters asked me how I was doing and she started laughing and said I looked like she felt. She knew what I had done. LOL!!! Only got in 6 hrs. today but finished the big bed that had the weeping willow tree in it. Still need to put out weed retardant and fresh mulch.

Marilyn I know your kitchen is gonna look great. We need pictures to see how your counter tops turned out!!!

Genna I hope that stone passes soon so you will get some relief!! That is good news about Jessie's surgery let her know that we are adding our prayers for her quick recovery!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9455405

Genna glad Jessie's surgery went well. Know she is glad to have that behind her.

Jeri seems like they would want Mary back sooner than 4/4!!

Jim has really had a time with that leg. Sure hope they fix the problem tomorrow.

I need to get out and work in my yard tomorrow and as much as I can the rest of the week! Just haven't made much progress. Too many irons in the fire!

I haven't done taxes yet! Started going through my folders tonight. I never get in a hurry because I don't get the final reports on some of my investments until March. Hopefully I have all the final reports now. I use Turbo Tax and have done it for a number of years. It want take me long once I get all my stuff sorted through. Just got to sit down and do it!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9455654

Genna: I have never had a kidney stone but I have been told by others that passing one is more painful than childbirth! :( Is there any chance that the doctor can dissolve yours with laser surgery? Good to hear that Jessi came through her surgery so well. I was amazed that her procedure was outpatient and that she didn't have to stay overnight! I've not had gall bladder problems, either, thank goodness. What a bummer about the car but it is good that you and Leigh had some quality time together.

Jeri: I wish it was warm enough here so that I could get out in my flowerbeds! We have snow forecast for tomorrow!!! (big frown here) Our weather has been like a yo-yo all winter--warm temps one day and cold the next. People, creatures and plants don't know what to do from one day to the next!!

Al got our new kitchen sink installed yesterday. Hooray! It is so nice to have my kitchen sink and dishwasher in working order again! We have both decided that we like the gray countertop paint so much that we will not even try the process of making it look like granite. We are just going to put one more coat of the gray paint on it and once that dries for a couple days, we will put a coat of polycrylic on it for protection and sheen. It will probably be this time next week before we are finished with the entire kitchen remodel. We still have to install the tin-look panels on the backsplash after we finish the countertops.

i forgot to tell ya'll that the report on Al's stress test was good! :) His heart is in better shape now than it was two years ago! Hooray!! The doctor just wants him to monitor his blood pressure for a few days and report the results back to the doctor so the doc will know whether he needs to change Al's blood pressure meds.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 20, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9456133

Marilyn, great news on Al's stress test! Obviously, your influence has been good for him! :-) The gray paint counters sound interesting... we will look forward to the photos! I think my stone was just coming out of the kidney on Sunday evening - my kidney hurt really bad. I stopped on the way home and bought some cranberry juice and have been drinking cranberry juice and water like crazy and I definitely made it move. I think it may have passed but not certain, mine that i had last July didn't hurt so bad when I actually passed it but it was along the way when it blocked most of the tube that it became almost unbearable. But after the 4 hr wait to get a CT in the Emergency room, the pain had all but stopped and they said it was just at the edge of the bladder about to fall in. So, I guess it just depends. Last time it didn't hurt up high at all, but this time it was if someone was hitting me in the kidney with a sledge hammer. On Monday, the kidney itself didn't hurt nearly as much but i had bouts of sharp abdominal pain so I knew it was moving... or trying... :-) I am still drinking enough water to float a boat - and adding cranberry juice to it because I want it gone for good!

Well, the guy that works on my vehicle called and he can't find anything wrong with my ujoint or front end or transmission... not even a wheel bearing! He has driven the vehicle all over and hasn't heard the noise once - even drove it home last night and back this morning ...so apparently the guys were mistaken when they thought they saw oil on it. I guess that is good news - although we still don't know what the noise was from but if it shows back up maybe it will get consistent enough he can identify it.

Elaine, how is that leg doing? I hope you are mending well. Are you still on your trip or back home again?

Sandra, how is Eli doing? Hopefully he is much better. Little ones are so pitiful when they are sick... thankfully they usually recover quickly!

Charlotte, I haven't finished up my tax info either. Got a good start on it and now I just can't seem to find time to finish it. I need to go ahead and make my appointment with my accountant because that will motivate me to get it together before my appt. Plus, the longer I wait, the longer it will take to get in to see him! :( I wish I could just do my own but with the rent houses and all the stuff that goes with them, I think I do better to pay someone else to help me.

Jessi was pretty sore this morning, but I suspect this will be the worst day. She got up several times yesterday and walked around the house and even walked out in the yard a couple of times so she is doing good to follow instructions and move frequently. Hopefully she will be able to sleep in the bed tonight instead of the recliner. She has a tendency to sleep on her stomach and she was afraid she would roll over on it and really hurt... She also gets to take a shower tonight and she is excited about that :-)

Marilyn, we have been on a weather roller coaster here too. But it is beautiful today... yesterday it was pretty cool and we have had a hard frost several mornings as well.

Jeri, it is just like pulling teeth to get appointments these days! Another wait... :( I just hate that she is having to wait so long between all her appointments - I know it must drive her crazy to just sit and wait. I hope they were able to get Jim fixed up today! That has been a long ordeal too!

gen2026
Camden, AR

March 20, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9456144

By the way, I have invited a fellow Dave's Gardener to join us here on mid south. Her DG name is Jenlee and she lives near Colliersville, TN. She is looking for plants to trade etc. and I told her she should join us here on the mid south and possibly attend the RU in June. Hopefully, she will pop in soon...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 20, 2013
1:49 PM

Post #9456153

I called today for an appt with my gp and the first early morning one was April 9th.
I have to do fasting bloodwork for the diabetes, so I always ask for early morning. An 8:45 appt will usually get me out by 11.
Cayla, and I both got sick Sunday night with cold, Eli got up today snorting and coughing, he was doing great, just finished his antibiotic Sunday night. I hope he does not get any fever, if so-back we go. Cayla went Monday and got a shot, then went back this afternoon for another.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9456398

Sandra, you all have really had it at your house with the coughs, colds, etc. I hope you all feel better soon!!

Genna: good news about the car but I know it bothers you that they couldn't find what made the noise. I'm glad Jessi is moving around and following doctor's orders. Tell her that this "old fogey" says she shouldn't be sleeping on her stomach at all. It is the worst thing you can do for your neck! Of course she is young and most likely isn't feeling any ill effects from it yet but she really shouldn't sleep that way. I used to sleep on my stomach years ago but stopped probably when I was in my twenties and haven't done it since.

It's awful that it takes so long to get appointments scheduled, isn't it? Al's stress test was scheduled back in December!!

Sandra, the early morning appointments are definitely the best when you have to fast before you have a test done. Al's appointment for his fasting stress test was at 8:15 a.m. and he didn't get to eat anything until about 10:30 when they told him to go eat something greasy and then come back so they could do one more blood test. I was concerned because he is diabetic but he did okay and didn't have a "sinking spell".

Elaine, l am also wondering how you are doing since your surgery?

Snow scheduled to arrive sometime in the a.m. Not looking forward to it. :(

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 20, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9456401

They have us under winter storm watch starting tomorrow afternoon here. I surely hope this is winters last blast

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9456419

Sandra is Eli teething? Jimmy got an ear infection for every tooth that came in.

Mary & I went to Walmart and someone stole my wallet. I am so sad b/c it had my plant money in it.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9456456

Genna I' ve been using Turbo Tax for about 13 years. Our taxes are fairly complex but I don't have any problem with Turbo Tax. I buy the Business and Professional one that includes personal, business and investments. It cost $99 but is considerably less than the over $1,000 I had been paying. My federal tax report was over 160 pages last year. We usually have things to report on just about every form available! Not lots of money - just money and transactions from lots of different sources! It computes depreciation, etc. It asks you the questions and you type in the information. My antique booths are even an actual business. Turbo Tax prepares a profit and loss statement for it. I have either owned a business or worked as an independent contractor since 1996. Being an independent contractor is the same as operating a business. They pay you an agreed upon amount but you end up paying taxes on the outcome of a profit and loss statement. There are lots of deducts you can claim when you work that way. The IRS requires you to compute whether investment transactions result in a short term or long term gain and the amount. That information is provided to you but the IRS requires you to compute it on their forms! You plug in the information and Turbo Tax does it for you. There are several steps that you have to go through but after you've done it then the next time is not difficult. I've handled business partnerships, timber sales, oil and gas leases, inherited property, etc - all with Turbo Tax.

I realized my CPA was basically doing the same thing and that's why I started using Turbo Tax. She would give the information I had gathered together to someone in her office to plug in the numbers and then all she would do at the end was to review the report before giving to me. Then charge me a huge fee! They all now use some type of tax program very much like Turbo Tax.

Got a lot done in the yard today but LOTS more to go!!! All my bamboo came down when the fence fell down. It was all piled up in the back and I realized plants were trying to come up under all that mess so I got it put back up this afternoon. There was so much debris I couldn't even see where my beds actually were back in the back corner. I got a lot of it picked up and cleared all the stepping stones off so I at least know where things are coming up. Things are really popping up!! I'm soon going to have some irises blooming. Hostas are coming up. My Jacobs Ladder is coming up. Lots of other stuff! I've got a lot more days of cleaning up mess!!

Because of my lack of a thyroid and a non functioning parathyroid gland I have to have my blood tested frequently to monitor several levels but I like the way they do it. I don't always see the doctor when I have my blood tested so they just tell me the day they want me to come in on and whether it is to be a fasting or non-fasting test and then I can just go in anytime I want during the hours they are open. Then after my doctor has gotten the results he will have his nurse call me and let me know the results and whether or not any changes need to be made. They also always mail me a copy of the report.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013

Post #9456458

Jeri we did a cross post! That's terrible about your wallet!!!!!! Don't know what this world is coming to! It's scary the number of robberies we have in LR!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 21, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9456693

Oh no, not your PLANT money ! I guess it is really best to not carry cash.
How is Jim doing today?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9456770

I posted on Jeri's FB page about her stolen wallet but I'll say it again here, Jeri! So sorry and I sure hope they find out who did it!!

I rarely have more than $20.00 in my wallet so if anybody stole it, they wouldn't get much cash. :D

Still expecting from 3 to 6 inches of snow today! :( I would have welcomed it a month ago but not today!! You ladies further south of me are fortunate to have more temperate weather. Our spring comes later up here in the Ozark mountains.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 21, 2013
7:37 AM

Post #9456833

We are expecting rain and sleet tonight too Marilyn, it was 28 here this morning

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9456879

Sandra you all have been colder than here. I would think we would be about the same. It's been in the forties at night this week. We have a cold front coming through this weekend and its supposed to get in the mid thirties at night Sun, Mon and Tues. But not below freezing. Day time will be in the fifties. I worked in the yard yesterday in just a long sleeve cotton tshirt and was very comfortable.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 22, 2013
7:22 AM

Post #9458007

Charlotte, yeah, I think I could use turbo tax - my concern is knowing how to put in where we are at on depreciation etc since some of the houses have been depreciated for a while, and some are newer. Then things like new AC/Heat units are often depreciated over time, and sometimes he expenses them depending on the year. I am not sure how I would ever get all the back ground info in there. Of course, my accountant only charges me 200 - 250. I guess if he was charging a 1000 I would definitely have to reconsider. I overheard a girl I know the other day saying she paid H&R Block $ 350 to do her taxes. Her and her husband both have jobs and they rent their home - they have one child. I thought to myself that she could probably use the free tax forms on line to do hers instead of paying 350 when you have no deductions or anything! There is also a place here that does them for free, and they will take almost any income level - but they will not handle rental property. I might should at least look at turbo tax. I gather up everything for the accountant and have everything calculated before I go to him except the depreciation on the rental and the farm stuff we have. Like you say, he just plugs in the numbers...

Marilyn and Sandra - how is the weather? Did ya'll get snow and ice? are the roads covered or just the ground?

Picked up my suburban yesterday and haven't heard that noise a SINGLE time since I picked it up... so strange, but apparently it is ok! I may be headed to Fayetteville, Conway or Memphis today or tomorrow to try again at buying Leigh a used car! I am negotiating with all three and it just depends on who gives me the best price vs what the vehicle has on it. I hate trying to compare apples to apples on used cars because they all have something different or different mileage, etc. I have managed to find 2 that are the same year model and almost identical mileage so that makes it easier ... the third one is different so that makes it harder to compare in the mix. :( Oh well, hopefully, he will have something before the weekend is over!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 22, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9458204

No snow here, just rain, it is very cold here though !

Good luck with the car shopping !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9458376

Genna the version of turbo tax that I use is very thorough. It takes you through a interview process asking about all the possible types of income and expenses. As inexpensive as the person that does your taxes is, it's probably worth the additional $100 or so just not to have to fool with it. But you can probably get the information from your return. There should be worksheets attached to your return that provides documentation for the depreciation. I have to pay a fee to Turbo Tax every year but I have an account with them and all my information is stored. When I pay every year I just log on to my account and it brings up my previous year's information. I can also bring up prior year information. Before you can file your return it does an error check and I will always have a few errors. I have to correct those before it will allow me to file my return. Sometimes it can just be that I've left a line blank. I am not an accountant and have never kept books for anyone other than myself but I've dealt with lots of financial information over the years. Actually graduated from the Graduate School of Banking at LSU. When I had my store I kept my books on software similar to Quickbooks but much more difficult! Wish I had known about Quickbooks. So I have a pretty good understanding of how it all works.

Yukky, yukky day here!!! Rainy and cool! Not cold, cold but damp so it feels much cooler.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2013
8:49 PM

Post #9458692

I posted some pictures of my antique booth on FB. Thought I would post a few here in case you didn't see them. I've started selling a lot of new vintage looking accessories. The white secretary sold this afternoon just after I took the photos. I painted all the white furniture - well I've painted all the furniture that is painted. I have several pieces in the garage I need to get to work on! Painted furniture is the hot thing now!

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2013
9:07 PM

Post #9458698

I would be so in trouble. This time Charlotte, I'm glad you are in Ark. LOL!!! JK!!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
1:13 AM

Post #9458763

My sentiments exactly! I would be in trouble and just drooling over all the cute things! You are right, Charlotte. Painted furniture is huge. I lurk around on another decorating forum elsewhere and there are some gorgeous pieces to be had. You did a great job with your booth. Love those cream lamps and the bottles and some of the prints, pillows, well, heck, just about everything.

Genna, I meant to tell you...on that other decorating forum they swear by 'frog tape' for painting trim and edging. Several who have painted recently said it is much better than the blue tape. One person said she found bulk rolls at Costco. So look for it if you get serious about painting in your house.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 23, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9458929

I guess I was born missing the decorator gene, itis all beautiful and love to look at it, but I would rather buy dirt or go on a vacation---LOL ! My BFF Judy is such a great decorator and always wants me to fix up stuff--it is just not in me, Same thing with diamonds, would rather have daylilies !! Charlotte aren't you glad there are those people who love to decorate ! The way you have everything put together is what sells it too. It looks so good !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2013
7:45 AM

Post #9458977

Elaine I've used frog tape before and like it too.
Yes I'm glad other people like to decorate! I painted a bunch of picture frames last night. That's another thing that is hot right now. They hang them on the wall without anything in them, put fabric in them, use at weddings and other functions for people to stand behind and have their picture taken, etc. I took one that had a tacky cardboard print in it and painted the frame and the cardboard. Then I cut a piece of burlap and glued over the cardboard with decoupage glue then printed out a pretty print on cardstock on my computer and glued that over the burlap. Really cute! I've sold one that I've done like that before.
I have a big triple french style dresser I'm getting ready to paint now. That style is really popular painted!
I'm a project person. What's really been fun is that I've been able to build up my inventory just by turning what I sell back into inventory. I put about $500 of my money into it to buy some inventory over a year ago and the rest I've been able to buy through my sales and also pay my increased rent as I have expanded and keep a little for myself.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9459005

Actually my favorite was the blue deft dishes. I just love them and Sandra I love diamonds enough for us both!!! LOL!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 23, 2013
5:47 PM

Post #9459513

LOL--good one Jeri !
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9459547

Well, we got 9 inches of snow--woke up to it Friday morning. but the good news is that it is almost all gone by now and it didn't really affect the roads, thank goodness. We will be cold for a few more days and then they are promising 60F by Friday!! Crazy weather, anyhow!!

I've already commented on Facebook about Charlotte's booth and all those lovely things! I especially like the blue dishes, too! I really don't have room for one more piece of furniture in this house but if I did, I would have to make a visit to Little Rock!! Charlotte, I did bring that rocker with me that I bought from you last year. I have it in our bedroom and I just love it!!

The Frog tape is definitely better than some of the other painter's tape. We have used it while we have been doing the kitchen and it sticks better and doesn't let the paint bleed through. The kitchen is just about finished. The walls are all painted and I only have two walls to do on the trim. I have one more coat of countertop paint to put on but I will have to wait until those 60F days to return because the windows HAVE to be open for ventilation. That countertop paint is really strong and we wouldn't be able to stay here with all the windows closed up. When I finish the last coat of the countertop paint, then we will install the tin-look panels on the backsplash and it will be finished!! Hooray!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9459630

You did get a lot of snow Marilyn. It's just been rainy and dreary here.

I'm glad you kept that rocker. I like that one a lot also and was a good chair.

Anyone that's been to my house knows I like blue and white china! Some of mine are good old flow blue pieces and some are just new pieces I liked. A number of my pieces were given to me my son and DIL and friends. I even found some blue and white plates that my mother was using as plant saucers! I guess we had them when I was a child. I found her something else to use to put her plants on and took the blue and white plates home with me. So most of my blue and white has a story!

Sad but so many of the young people today don't appreciate the old finer things. They like the casual look.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2013
8:29 PM

Post #9459660

Well then TG we're not young!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9459829

Amen to that, Jeri!!

Charlotte, it is nice that you have those pieces that have such good memories attached to them. I have kept a set of my mother's china and I treasure it.

All of our snow is now gone but they are saying we could get another 1-2 inches this afternoon! :( Hopefully, it won't stick around very long.

Time to get ready for church. You ladies have a good day. :)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 24, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9459889

I do appreciate older things. I have the plate that my great grandmother used to put her bread on the table, they always called it mamma wickers bread plate. She passes before I was born, we assume she had it before Gunny was born as all the siblings remember it as being "the bread plate". Gunny was born in 1898

I also have a blue bowl that Mamma started housekeeping with when she married, it is over 60 years old. pat collects blue things too, dishes and glassware, she could fill your booth with all her decorative things.
I don't like to dust that well---LOL !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013

Post #9459941

I have my mother's china also. As well as her set of Fostoria crystal. I have a really pretty Fostoria pitcher that the church gave to them when they moved from El Dorado to Houston. But my treasure is her old wooden biscuit bowl. She kept a wooden bowl with flour in it in a cabinet and every time she made biscuits she would just add more flour and her other ingredients. She used it when I was in grade school and younger. I cleaned it up good and oiled it and then wrote an explanation of what it is and taped to the bottom. It's sitting on top of my china cabinet in the kitchen. Then I have the nice wooden clock that my dad got when he retired from Amoco. It has his name and retirement date on the back. That's my problem...my list goes on and on!
My mother was not as sentimental as me. When they moved to Texas she got rid of a lot of things - some that had belonged to her mother! Never did understand that! Amoco payed all their moving expenses and they moved into a house that had plenty of space in it! She had a set of Britannica encyclopedia's that my son coveted. He discovered she still had the bookrack they were in but the encyclopedia's were gone! He was really upset. I finally found him a set at an estate sale but it was just not quite the same! I know there are things I have that he would want. I've told him that I want get rid of anything without asking him first.
It's not the monetary value - to me it's the memories attached to them.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9460581

That's right, Charlotte--it is the sentimental value!! I have the round mahogany glass-topped coffee table that my daddy's cousin made for my parents and gave to them as a wedding present in 1935. I also have a Hull vase which belonged to my grandmother and also a candy dish that was hers. I gave to my daughter several years ago the crystal perfume decanter that my daddy gave my mother on their wedding day. All of these are just "things" but, still, they have a great deal of meaning to me.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 7:16 PM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9460599

I'm going to be super busy this week! I had an incredible weekend at my antique booth! I sold the white secretary, the maple china cabinet, the tall desk/cabinet, and the white china cabinet in addition to a bunch of small stuff. Now I've got to get on the ball on finish the two pieces of furniture I have in my garage and also find some more! I was emptying some of the furniture this afternoon and a customer (lady that I know) wanted to know if I was moving!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9460733

Charlotte it does sound like you are doing good!!! You geaux lady!!! I was talking to Cindy and she is doing well with her booths. I totally don't have Yall's energy!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 25, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9461300

Hi all! Charlotte, your booth looks great! I guess it is a little empty now, but I have no doubt you will fill it back up! :-) I am definitely not a decorator either... I am missing that gene as well! That and the gene to clean house quickly and efficiently - my sister got that one big time...guess she hogged mine too! I used to really love diamonds - and I still do, but I am at a point where I would rather have other things since there is a limited budget. We did manage to get Leigh a car this weekend - so that was marked off the list, and I also purchased a puppy this weekend - a male Rottweiler puppy, so I am marking that off my list as well. He is supposed to be my new "guard dog" (big dog)... we'll see. Right now he probably weighs less than 8 lbs - so we have a ways to go! :-) but he is already spoiled !! I am trying to crate train him and he kept me up all night howling and crying wanting out. :( The kids and I went to LR on Friday afternoon to meet Leigh when he got off work, then we went to Conway to pick up his car. Then we drove to Forrest City and spent the night in a Holiday inn there. We were 'fortunate' enough to get the room under a group of girl scouts whose leaders were NOT corraling them at all. The rooms in that hotel are new and HUGE and I think the entire group of girl scouts from that group were in the room directly above us. We didn't get to the hotel until 10 - and by 10:30 I was calling the office complaining because it sounded like we were sleeping in a bowling alley. Once I complained, I guess they called the room or went up there so the noise got LOUDER! Leigh went down to the front desk on the way to get something out of the vehicle about 11. At 11:30 I called the room (that was making the noise) myself to request that she calm the kids down because it WAS a hotel and people were trying to sleep. She got really rude with me on the phone and the noise got even worse. A little after 12 I called the front desk again and was told that she had just called the front desk to say she was putting all the girls to bed. I told him girls or not, I had traveled with plenty of kids and I had NEVER been anywhere that allowed them to act like that! Anyway, it was almost 2 am before they finally quieted down. They were back at it again by 9 am! I complained when it was time to check out and ended up getting the room at no charge - which was appropriate I guess considering NONE of us got any sleep! Then we went to Jackson, TN and met a woman to pick up the puppy. We were late getting out of the hotel - almost 11 because of the lack of sleep - and then we stopped at the mall outside of Memphis for a little while, and it took longer to get the puppy than I thought. But we got tied up in traffic on the way back from Memphis on I40 and traveled a long time at 10 mph or less, and sat in one place for quite a while as well. We didn't get back to LR to pick up the other two vehicles until almost midnight, and didn't get home because of fog until after 2 am. Between those two nights and the new baby whining and howling all night last night - I am needing some sleep in a BAD way! :) Hope I get thru the day without falling asleep at my desk!

Jeri, what did they do to Jim this last time you went in? Is it working this time? Any luck on finding the empty wallet? I hope that eventually you are able to get back part of your things anyway!

I am very sentimental about 'things' and have a tendency to hold on to way too much. After my mom died and I found things in her closet that i have no idea where they came from or who made them etc - such as old quilts, I have tried to hold on to fewer things but be more selective in what I keep - and to also try to mark or label things so the kids will know where they came from. Some of it will just be unknown... I have a set of china that we received as part of our wedding registry that I have NEVER used in 30+ years. I am thinking seriously about trying to sell it and purchase something that I would like to have instead. I have thought about it several times, but never actually looked into selling it, I doubt I could get much for it even though it was expensive 30 yrs ago! My MIL insisted that we register for it - and I knew then I would never use it! :( It was so expensive that i was afraid I would break it. I have very few things that belonged to my Daddy because my brothers took most of them, or my Mom gave them away to others. I was devastated when I found out my Mom gave my Dad's cowboy boots to someone. My Dad was a big horseman, and had shown horses and raised horses my entire life. He always had a pair of Justin or Nacona boots. I asked for his boots just a few weeks after he passed away because I knew his foot was smaller than what my brothers could wear... and she had already given them away. I have a masonic ring that I purchased for him several years before he died (the ONLY reason I got it was because I bought it) and then I have some of his old pipes. He had quit smoking a pipe years before I had kids, but since that is all that I have that was his besides the ring, I plan to eventually have them framed in shadow boxes - but I am going to split them up into three boxes so each of my kids can have one. Should have already had that done considering it has been 15 years yesterday since he passed away - but it is just one of the things on my to do list that I haven't managed to get done yet. I came across them the other day while looking for something and pulled them to the front of the cabinet they are in to hopefully get that done soon!

Marilyn, sounds like you got all your snow for winter at one time! Glad it didn't mess up the roads or anything. I don't mind snow as long as I can keep electricity and drive! :) Most of the time that is not the way it works. It was so cold yesterday - that wind felt like it was blowing straight off of ice!

Hope everyone has a great week!
Genna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9461335

I'm really starting to feel guilty for hanging onto all this stuff!!! Jesus told the rich young ruler to leave everything and follow him. It's not the monetary value but sentimental that I have a problem with.

Genna it felt that way here too. Feels way colder right now than all winter. We could have a frost tonight and the pecan tree still isn't blooming. While cleaning up the yard last week we even saw a snake.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 25, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9461427

Jeri, I don't think that was the point Jesus was making, they were using their things as an excuse not to follow Jesus, remember one person said they had to bury their dead and Jesus said Let the dead bury the dead. Jesus wanted their hearts and being God, He knew what was in their hearts.
Now if you had a lot of things you really didn't need and your family was hungry--then you should sell them, but just keeping things for sentimental value should not make you feel guilty. You know we came into this world naked and when we go out, we can't carry anything with us. I doubt we will ever see you in front of your items on your knees worshiping them either.
I had given Amanda several things when she turned 18 to have for family keepsakes. Her Dad had built her a beautiful chest. I gave her my baby dress that Mamma had saved for years and finally gave it to me. I also gave her most of the pictures from her Dad's and my wedding. Her house burned and it was all destroyed. She had to go out the window to escape, I was so thankful that she got out without getting burned, those things meant nothing to any of us anymore.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9461596

I know what you mean there Sandra. No I will never bow down and worship them but would also really like for things to not look so cluttered!!!

I gave Terrie my china from when Mikel and I were married. I wonder if she is bringing them back? LOL!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 25, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9461836

When is she moving in? We had to decal utter a lot of stuff when Cayla and Eli moved back in

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9461865

I haven't had anyone move back in but I can just imagine what it would do for clutter. We sold our house just as my son was graduating from college. It sold in about 3 days after we listed it - I was out of town. Thank goodness it sold when it did. My son brought all his stuff home from college and his finance at the time (now DIL) also bought all her stuff as she was going to go to summer school in College Station. My ex-husband called me and said he was thinking about getting a motel room! He said your not going to believe all this stuff in the house. They had totally filled up the living/dining room with "stuff". Thank goodness that only last a few weeks until he moved into his apartment in Ft. Worth and she went to College Station to summer school!

It is COLD here!! Ready for warm weather again!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9461983

Sandra I got to thinking about you mentioning that Amanda's house had burned. I'm realizing that may be why my mother was bad or good (which every way you look at it) at getting rid of things. Their house burned when when she was 14 or 15 years old. They were able to get some things out of it but most things I think they lost. Maybe once you've been through something like that it is easier to let go of things. Never thought about that before!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2013
8:32 PM

Post #9462041

It is suppose to be tonight but I'm about ready to give up and go to bed and see who is here in the morning. Or find out later who was here.

We're cold here too Charlotte. I think it's going down to 31 which is breaking all kind of records for us this late. Them pecan trees won't bud too soon for me.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2013
10:16 PM

Post #9462097

If you want an indestructible counter top I recommend quartz!! I made some soup today in my crock pot and drippled it all over my counter top. Then I had been painting with an oil based primer and realized I didn't have anything to clean my brush but Formbys Refinisher. So I go in the kitchen and pour some in a styrofoam cup (thinking as I was about to do it that it was probably a bad idea). Yes it was a bad idea - the bottom immediately disintegrated as I was expecting and refinisher went all over my countertop on top of the soup! Of course I didn't think to hold it over the sink - just over the counter!! I wiped the counter off with paper towel and then took a razorblade and scraped all the soup/refinisher off (it had become like glue)!! Countertop is a good as new!! When I replaced my countertop 10 years or so ago I looked at slab granite and slab quartz. Both about the same price. I took a piece of quartz and granite home and tried for a week to do something to damage it. I was able to scratch the granite. But the quartz I tried scratching with nails, knives, etc. Nothing phased it. I even use the ice pick directly on the counter top like I would on concrete outside. Doesn't phase it. I should do an advertisement for quartz with the abuse I give it! LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 26, 2013
6:08 AM

Post #9462257

Charlotte, you might be right about your Mom. Gunny always said that a house fire was the next thing to a death in the family, she had been burned out once, not sure if it was before or after she married.
Mamma loved trinkets, she had so many that Amanda took some boxes over there and made pictures of some things and packed them up for her. She told her she could look at the pictures and remember who gave them to her. She gave me a lot of things too, I have one whole box packed up of just trinket that Mamma gave me.
Jeri, good luck with getting everyone and their "stuff" situated.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9462305

NO nothing is situated. I'm gonna go buy some of those racks to hang clothes on and see if we can get some of it situated better tonight. Terrie now has 2 storage buildings. One near her old house which is clear across Baton Rouge and one out here that she rented yesterday and put all her mom's stuff in. She is leaving everything else for Greg. He didn't take it well last night and called Bre after Terrie left crying. It's too late for him and Terrie she even refuses to talk about counseling. She has reached that point of no return but maybe this will open his eyes and he will be a better Dad for Bre & Cameron. That is my prayer!!!

I want new counter tops. Mine are over 30 years old and I hate them now. I'll have to look into that slab quartz. Sounds like just what I need!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9462330

I don't really care for trinkets. I just like decorating. But a number of years ago I finally got things the way I like it and if I bring something new in something has to go out. I've found I really like the things I have now and don't want to replace them. In all the stuff I've bought for my antique booth I've only kept 2 things - an old really pretty snuff bottle (a fancy one they would have carried) and an old container with 3 pomegranates made out of some kind of rock like material. They just struck my fancy!

My mother got rid of unnecessary things (some things that I would have considered necessary). Clothes never accumulated. She bought clothes for church and for every day. When they started they started looking worn she got rid of them. She didn't change sizes that much so she didn't usually have things that didn't fit. If she ended up buying something she found she really didn't like she would give it away or somehow get rid of it. She did the same thing with my dad's clothes. He either wore it or she got rid of it!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9462334

We did a cross post Jeri. Even though Greg knew things were not good, they just seem to live in denial that anything is really wrong. I know what Terrie means about getting to the point of no return! There will be some rough months ahead. But hopefully she can get her life back on track soon and get settled back down. That is if you can live through it all!

Jeri with all the projects I do (and usually do the really messy things on the counter top) I have to have something indestructible. I paint and hot glue on the counter top all the time. I just take a razor blade and scrape up the paint and glue!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9463125

When my mother was a very little girl, she and her family were living in southern Louisiana. She was born in DeRidder, LA.
The house they were living in burned and it must have made a really big impression on her because, although she was very young, she could remember it. She always said there is no more helpless feeling than watching your house with all your belongings in it burn to the ground. *sniff*

Al and I went to our garden club meeting today at noon. It was a potluck lunch and Al and I were the hosts. We had the meeting in our church fellowship hall. I gave a presentation on "lasagna gardening" and it was very well received. Hardly anybody at the meeting had ever heard of lasagna gardening. I showed them photos of the hummingbird/butterfly flowerbed that Buddy and I put in next to the back fence of our yard when we lived in Cabot.
I told them that everything I knew about it, I learned on Dave's Garden. I also told them about the wonderful folks I had met on the Mid-South forum. :)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9463288

It's amazing to me the number of people that don't know anything about lasagne gardening. I'm not planning to grow anything behind my raised bed in the community garden but last year I layered the whole area behind my box with cardboard boxes to keep the weeds from coming up. It did a great job and I've already accumulated a bunch more cardboard and I'm getting ready to put another layer down. I can walk behind my box without fighting vines, weeds , etc. Works great. I'm known as the cardboard lady down there! LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9464429

LOL, Charlotte! :D

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9465352

What a beautiful day it was!!! I actually got a lot accomplished today! Hauled some more cardboard plus a pallet down to my garden spot! LOL
The waterfall in my koi pond has been leaking and I had torn it apart back in the late fall trying to get it stabilized. Finally had a profession (Green Thumb) come in and fix the thing!!! It looks so much better and the waterfall sounds so good and best of all it doesn't leak! Then I took the RPZ (sprinkler back flow thing) out and got it fixed! I had left it out too long and was out of town when we had the big snow and freeze and of course a part on it cracked. Only ended up costing me $27. I was expecting more like $100. That thing was expensive so I was expecting it to be more to repair. Then I got some weeds and leaves out of the front flower bed. Still a lot more to go but at least a start. Also did some touch up on some furniture I'm painting and worked in my antique booth for a couple of hours. So I feel like I had a very productive day! Really helps being able to stay outside until almost 8.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 29, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9466104

Sounds like everyone has been busy!! It is a nice day today and we have been getting a few things done. Made a trip to my Mom's old house to do some work up there but had to come back to get some more lumber... waiting on Leigh to get back from the store so i thought I would catch up on everyone.

Leigh and I lost our first home only 2 yrs after we married. It was one of the most devastating things I have ever gone thru. It burned the Friday night before Memorial day in 1984, and we had spent the entire day at my parents helping them haul hay. All we had were the old clothes that we had worn to haul hay in. :( We didnt have a lot of furniture of course because we were just starting out, but most of what we did have were nice antiques that either Leigh had purchased, or that his grandmother gave us... so we lost all of those, but the hardest thing for Leigh was that he and his grandfather had built the house - and he knew there was no way that could happen again. He had sold several acres of timber to finance the house- and we were severely underinsured...so there was no chance of re-building it. It was over 20 yrs before we had a chance to build again - so financially it was a huge set back for us. Worse yet, our accountant said we couldn't claim the loss - which was WRONG... we shouldn't have owed taxes for several years but I didn't find that out until I changed accountants years after the fact and by then it was too late to claim the loss. :( We lost all our wedding photos of course, but we were able to get MOST of them replaced... but NONE of the better photos that people had requested a copy of because the guy mis filed our negatives and couldn't find the ones that had been used for re-orders. But, at least we were able to get most of them. I also lost a pair of diamond earrings that my aunt had given to me that weren't worth much money but meant a lot to me. But, we drove up about 11 pm one night after working in the hay field all day to a pile of ashes. It was so traumatic! I walked up on the brick steps that had led to the door - I was barefooted and never felt the heat but the next day I couldn't stand on the same steps with shoes on because they were still so hot! I remember telling Leigh "we have to call someone" then went completely hysterical when I realized we didn't even have a phone to call for help. Because it was so late, we had to drive all the way back to town to his grandmother's house to get help. It was such a weird feeling to not have clothes or a toothbrush, or anything! Before that, my Mom had always hid her extra cash in the freezer because she had always heard it wouldn't burn - everything in my freezer was destroyed - so we killed that theory! Also, my Mom would NEVER, EVER leave the house with a washer or dryer running for fear it would start a fire... I was the same way. After the house burned, I left the dryer running if I wanted because I realized whether or not it burned was out of my control. I won't say that it helped with me not keeping things though... I think in some ways it made me even more sentimental because I missed those things and knew they couldn't be replaced - but at least they were just things. I always said IF we had been home, I would have probably lost Leigh too because I don't think I could have kept him from trying to get some things out of the house.
I will say that it has made me verify that we have enough insurance coverage to protect us in the event of a loss though. Leigh's agent was a long time friend of the family, and he was trying to help us keep our cost down - and just said we could increase the coverage over time, and because Leigh didn't owe on the house, he didn't have to have a certain amount of coverage. But, almost all the assets he had owned were tied up in that house... and he had almost as many $$ worth of books in the house as we had coverage for the contents!! It was an expensive lesson to learn...

Jeri, I have felt the same way sometimes that all this 'stuff' gets in the way of our real focus, but I sure am spoiled to my modern conveniences.

Kyle has brought a friend home from Zimbawae (don't think that is spelled correctly) from Africa (at least I can spell that!!) for the weekend. He seems like a really nice guy. He is a student at OBU with Kyle.

Well, Leigh is back and it is time for me to get back to work. Hope ya'll have a blessed Easter weekend.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2013
5:25 PM

Post #9466248

Genna that had to have been a very traumatic!
We had a house built when I was only 23. We didn't build it but hired a contractor to build it for us. I've never had a desire to build another one!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2013
7:19 PM

Post #9466335

After building our house I didn't even want to go shopping afterward.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2013
8:05 PM

Post #9466373

It was worst than a three ring circus - and I was young! Don't think I could handle that again! I'll never forget the day we moved in! The gas line was not connected because the contractor thought it was in the front and dug the line to the front but turned out to be in the back. We had scheduled vacations to move so we moved in with no gas therefore no hot water for a week. While we were moving in, men were in the attic finishing hooking up the heat/ac. We moved from a house we had rented just a few doors down while building ours and too close to actually load up on a truck, so everything was wheeled down the street, then every friend, relative and neighbor we knew decided to drop by and check on the move!!!! House full of kids, dogs, people - total chaos! The whole time the house was being built same kind of stuff going on! They even had to repaint under the windows in most every room. Our dog somehow got in the house and put his dirty paws up on every window sill looking out!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 29, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9466374

Well, it took us a long time to be able to, but when we finally built the house we live in now, Leigh and I did a LOT of the work ourselves. It took us 14 months - but when we were done, we had a much nicer house than we could have afforded to have paid someone to build - and a shop for all of Leigh's stuff. It was a very long 14 months though! It is hard to believe we have already been here 9 years! It sure has flown by! But, then I still don't have the foundation planting finished... but almost! That is one reason i was so thankful to finally be started on the foundation planting!

We managed to get all the facia replaced on the front of my Mom's house and it makes it look SO much better! We still have to do the entire back of the house, and the gable ends, but at least it was a productive day. When we get this done, I need to get it primed and painted soon too. I have a girl wanting to rent it that is on Section 8 - and so it has to pass their inspection. Not sure it will pass because the house is old, but the girl seems to think it will. IF it gets approved then the program pays the rent for her and direct deposits it at the first of every month... can't really beat that from a landlord prospective! Plus, they pay more than what I was getting in rent. NOW, I understand why the apartment complexes want all the section 8 renters! No collections!! I do have to supply a stove and refrigerator for her, but I am waiting to see if the house passes inspection before I purchase them. Otherwise, I have some other people interested in renting it - either way, hopefully it will have renters in a few weeks. Need someone in it before the grass gets to growing!

I think it is supposed to rain tomorrow so not sure if it will get any more done or not. If not, I guess it will be back to working on taxes! I have an appt with the accountant on Tuesday which will force me to have everything finished! :)

gen2026
Camden, AR

March 29, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9466377

Charlotte, we cross posted ... sounds like at least ya'll didn't have far to move! Our old house is about 6 or 7 miles from where we live now. We made many a trip between the two during construction! But once we started getting close to being finished, I would pack up a box or two of stuff and bring it with us when we came. Of course, there was still a lot to move at the end, but it did help ease the move some. The first night, we slept on the floors in the LR on mattresses because we didn't have enough time to move all the beds and furniture but we were all ready to be living in the house! By the next night, we had all the bedroom furniture set up and everyone slept in their new rooms - but they still talk about the night we all slept in the floor. Guess it was a good memory! Funny how sometimes those odd things we do just trying to survive - are the things they remember the most. The kids had all helped on the house too. My sister and BIL helped a lot of weekends as well for the last 6 months - not sure if Leigh and I would have held out to finish if they hadn't started showing up to help. By the time they started coming, it was like the calvary arriving because Leigh and I were both exhausted. We worked EVERY night and weekend, but once they started coming it gave us enough help to have the hope of finishing one day!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9466380

Yes Section 8 is a gravy train for apartment complexes! But it brings in a very bad element! The people that rent can be good and pass all their qualifications but they allow (or sublet) to people that can't qualify because of past criminal history, etc. The apartment complex owners don't care because in a few years they just turn around and sell it to someone else. That's how they get even more government money. Too complex to explain here but it's a racket! They also don't care if they don't take care of the apartment's because that's another way they get more money is to get government money to remodel - but they don't actually remodel. Just keep the money and sell to someone else... The cycle goes on and on!! They tried to increase the number of section 8 apartments in a complex close to us. Our POA officers attended the meeting in protest. They were appalled at how it all works and learned a lot.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9466391

Genna we did a cross post. We have owned three houses since that first one. The next move was paid for by my ex-husbands company and they packed and unpacked everything. They delivered the furniture first thing one morning and by 6 pm everything was in it's place! Wow what a difference! Decided that was the way to go even if we had to pay for it! We had to live in an apartment for 4 weeks before we could move into the house I'm in now. We hired and payed for ourselves a moving company to store everything we owned. Only kept out clothes for 4 weeks. They also delivered and put everything in the right rooms. I don't think I could ever handle the kind of confusion that went on with the move into the house we built ! That was the second house we owned and had lived in 3 different houses or apartments before that and I was only 23! We moved a lot when I was young! Now I've been in the same house for almost 31 years! Sure don't want to think about moving out of it!

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9467120

I feel a little silly posting that we have built all 4 houses we have lived in. I built the first one in Mandeville, Louisiana, and lived there for 4 years. My husband then was killed in the line of duty, and I didn't want to stay there anymore, so I bought a lot and built a house out in the country in Covington, Louisiana. When I met my current husband, he was building his first house, so I was involved in that one, and then after we got married, he moved to my house, and we lived there for another 14 years. He got a job in Georgia, and we moved about 3 years ago, and built what I hope is our final resting place. I loved building, and we always had good luck with our builders and their subs. It makes me feel like I know the house intimately, being able to make all the decisions and watch the progress. It is a lot of work, but, we got exactly what we wanted in this house, and we would have never found it otherwise.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

March 30, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9467142

Why feel silly, we love having you here, feel fre to discuss whatever you like with us. I know you live in a beautiful place, can't blame you for wanting to stay there

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2013

Post #9467171

I'm still getting used to this area, but I do miss Louisiana. This is a much smaller town, and we were used to being close to New Orleans, so we miss some of the things about being in a big city. But we don't miss the traffic!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9467257

No happytail you shouldn't feel silly!!! We are all different - that's what makes the world go round!
The first house we bought we totally renovated it while living there! Will NEVER do that again!
Built the second one - don't want to do that again.
The others I have bought already built and have been very happy with them. I like more established neighborhoods so that limits building a new home. I know what kind of floor plan I want but don't have any problem buying a house that needs to be updated cosmetically. Don't want to have to do any thing major but changing paint color, flooring etc. I don't mind at all. It's something I'm going to do periodically anyway. For instance when I moved in this house I looked at I don't know how many houses (and I had to have a place to live as the one we were in was sold). The realtor I was working with called me as soon as she did a walk though and said I think I've found what your looking for. She was right! Looked at it after work and bought it on the spot! I was looking for a house with plenty of closet space, and one that you could not see the kitchen sink or kitchen work area from the front door and on a fairly level lot. See we are all different! The kitchen sink is almost always visible in houses today. But you can't see my sink or work area until you actually walk into my kitchen. Thirty years later I still don't want my kitchen area visible when you walk in my house or even into my den for that matter of fact. I am always doing projects and usually have something I'm doing in the kitchen! Doubt that that would be a big priority for most people! LOL So you sure don't need to feel silly!
My house was actually built by a builder for his personal house and he put a lot of things in it that are not in comparable houses in my neighborhood (ie wide crown molding in every room in the house - even the laundry room) so I got quality without the hassle! LOL

This message was edited Mar 30, 2013 10:38 PM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2013
3:34 PM

Post #9467862

I do agree with everyone else about how boring this world would be if everyone was the same. Welcome Hap!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9467892

Happy, don't feel silly at all. My first husband and I built in a new neighborhood when really young and starting out. You basically got to pick your finishes and colors and of course the floor plan. I didn't know much about any of that at the time of course but it worked out for a number of years. The second house was a solid house but in bad need of new paint, flooring, etc. We did most of that before we moved in but a lot of it after. I did all the painting and removing wallpaper and believe me it was a huge job. Then we divorced and I didn't want to do a thing for a while. DH and I bought a move-in-ready for a few years and then decided to build. By that time I was ready and knew how to manage projects so it was easy. Hap, you are right - getting the right builder who has good subs makes all the difference.

Yesterday was Meredith, my daughter's, birthday. She had to work today, so we took her to dinner last night. This afternoon, the sun came out around 1:30, so I got myself outside and pulled weeds and trimmed for about 2.5 hours. My knee is doing ok, but oh my back! It's ok now but I sure haven't bent over like that in a while. And I can't get down on my knees just yet. DH had to haul the trash to the burn pile for me.

Yesterday I polished silver, ran errands and cleaned out some junk in a couple of closets (that felt good). We're giving a baby shower for my niece in 2 weeks, so I had to get a bunch of glass plates washed and the silver polished to get ready for the shower. It will be at my sister-in-law's house, so fortunately I don't have to get my house ready, but I did tell her I'll help her get hers ready. She's haviing someone clean, but wants me to help her de-clutter.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9467958

Elaine can I sign up for a visit like that? We'd also do nurseries while you were here, of course!!!

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9467987

We wanted a house all on one floor, a 4 car garage (my husband's room) and a plan with two bedrooms that share a common wall, to be able to leave it out, so I can have a large sewing room. I don't like to come into a house through the laundry room, and we wanted a smaller house than we had in Louisiana. This one is 3003 square feet, and we hope to be able to live here until we fall over dead. Low maintenance, 3/4 of an acre, on the marsh. But I am still getting used to things here. Not much difference is climate or gardening from New Orleans. But the soil here is terrible, nothing but sand. I have to amend, amend, and amend! Yard is still a work in progress.

Thumbnail by happytail

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9468010

Your house is very nice!!! It looks like a castle with the turrets. I really love your work in progress with the yard. It looks perfect to me!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9468015

Love your house happytail. Really neat design! Also like your beds.

I worked in the yard this afternoon and I have a long way to go but at least I could tell I had actually done something. If you all remember I talked about putting some of my hibiscus in an unheated storage building for the winter. I checked on them this afternoon and all but one are alive! I cut them back before I put them up. I put some Styrofoam I happened to have down on the floor and sat them on top of it. in the middle of the room. I put a little water on them maybe once. Just let them go dormant. The room does have a window in it. I'm going to bring them out sometime this week. The test will be how well they do this summer.

I'm getting ready to start hauling some things out of winter storage! Are you all taking your things out yet? I also found two more pots of amaryllis that I forgot and left out all winter! They are fine and they are in small pots. I thought the pots had had coleus in them. I'm going to put a bunch of stuff in the ground this summer that I've been keeping in pots and bringing inside.

Elaine glad to hear your knee is doing better. I hear you on the bending! I've lived in my house so long I've put paper up several times in the kitchen and dining room and bathrooms. Then a couple of years ago I started taking it all down and don't intend to put up anymore wall paper!!! Too hard to get down and repaint. You know even if you start out in a brand new house in a few years some of it is going to be dated or worn and need to be changed out. It's just a never ending cycle is the way I look at it. I used to try and do something every few years to try and keep things up to date but not that energetic anymore! As my son told someone, he never knew what color his room was going to be when he came home when he was growing up. Took me by surprise!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9468018

We did a cross post Jeri - couldn't think of the word turrets!! Thanks!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9468047

Lovely home and yard, "Happy"!! :) It will be a wonderful place to spend the rest of your days!! :)

My first husband and I built 3 houses together during our 20 years of marriage. The first one was 1200 sq. ft which we later enlarged to 1500 s.f. We lived there in Little Rock 7 years and then built another house which was 2000 s.f. in Cabot and lived in that house 7 years and then built another house about 3000 s.f. in another part of Cabot, lived there about a year and then got a divorce! I always said it was the third house that did in our marriage LOL but it was actually my ex's alcoholism. :( Four years later I married Buddy but although we bought 4 houses together during our 25 years of marriage, we didn't build any of them--they were already built. We remodeled the first two houses we lived in but the last two were new and didn't need remodeling although we did do some painting because we didn't like the wall colors in some of the rooms. We started out at 3200 s.f. in our first house together in Conway, went down to a smaller house the 2nd time (it was on the farm we bought in Mt. Vernon, AR) then went up to 3400 s.f. back in Conway and the last house we lived in was in Cabot--the one you all visited--and it was 2000 s.f.

Now with Al, I am back in a smaller house--probably this one is about 1700 s.f. and all on one level. We have been in the process of remodeling it ever since we got married last May. Did the master bedroom and bath with new paint on the walls, new carpet in the bedroom and new tile floor in the bath. Then we painted the front guest bedroom and we are doing the kitchen now and will move on to the guest bedroom in the back of the house and then eventually do the living room. In between all that, when the weather was nice, we have re-done flower beds and added new ones. Al says I just keep moving him from one project to another! LOL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9468087

I love architect. Ask my kids. We drive thru every town looking at churches one minute and barns the next, then bridges, fences. It doesn't take much for us to get excited. LOL!!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9468438

Beautiful house and gardens, Happy! I'm with you on the laundry room, and it's one of the first requirements I had when we were planning this house, lol! We had lived in one that had a laundry room you walked thru on your way in from the garage. Sounds like a good idea but we hated it. Ours is about the same size, one level, wide hallways and doorways in case we ever need to maneuver a wheelchair thru. We hope to stay a while and it's already been 16 years.

Jeri, you sure can sign up for a visit! I know we'll get together one of these days! Charlotte, I used to be able to work in the yard or house all day long. Not true anymore. And I'm not as fast as I was either.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9469077

LOL!!! I'm open any time you have available. There is so much clutter here, I just hope a week will do it!!!! Tee Hee Hee!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9469182

It's a new month and time for a new thread so please join us over here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1305265/#new

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1305265/#new

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America