Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Krider's? Purple Martin?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9436409

All images shot 3/1/2013 in Galveston, Texas.

Do either of these hawks qualify as Krider's?

Are the other two birds Purple Martins? I know the images are horrible. They are cropped severely and I way underexposed them, but I'm hoping ... ^_^

Thanks,
Patti

Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens   Thumbnail by P_Edens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9436577

Yep to Purple Martin, male in pic #3, female in pic #4

Not sure on separating Krider's from "normal" pale Red-tail, I'll try reading up a bit.

Resin

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9436721

Thanks on the martins. The dark on the male was confusing me, but when I look at the book, it fits perfectly.

T_MF

June 16, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9561311

Hawk #1 - lack of belly band, faint patagials, and pinkish tail fit the Krider's subspecies description. The head, although not white, is relatively pale and a malar mark appears to be present. All good for Krider's according to my raptor guides.

Hawk #2- this is a juvenile bird that partially fits the description of a Krider's due to the pale head, malar mark, and very whitish tail. Also very distinct wing panels. However, these underside markings are a bit heavy even for a juvenile. Could be an intergrade with an Eastern bird.

Range and season also good for Krider's. I'd call bird #1 Krider's, bird #2 an intergrade.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2013 5:55 PM

This message was edited Jun 16, 2013 5:56 PM
T_MF

June 16, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9561320

One more thing- the Fuertes subspecies occurs in Texas. Both of these birds could be that variation (I hesitate to use "subspecies" to describe Fuertes). I would need to see the upperside of these birds to make that distinction (Krider's have heavy white mottling above; Fuertes are all dark).

So, after all of that, my final answer is "I'm not positive." Krider's tend to be harsh white beneath and Fuertes a rather buffy wash to the underside. Hard to say from these photos. Sorry.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9561498

Wow! Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I had not even considered Fuertes. I will know next time to try to get photos of the upperside.

Patti

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America