Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Mystery Melon

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Laennec99
Lorain, OH

March 2, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9436590

Greetings All

I would like help on the identification of this melon. It came to me in a strange manner. We have a local Asian grocery store - at the rear of the parking lot is a dumpster. As I waited for friends to return from shopping I noticed some very unusual leaves which looked different from our usual "ditch and alley" flora. Much to my chagrin I walked into the weeds and there was this beauty - it had delicate pink flesh I ever saw and you can see from the size its quite a monster. Ostensibly the melon missed the dumpster and propagated on its own. Does anyone know the variety or other cultural characteristics of how it's prepared.

Dave

Thumbnail by Laennec99
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9436610

Actually it is a squash, a Cushaw type pumpkin C.mixta
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9447871

I grow those (Cushaws). I don't really get a uniform size from my patch, but I agree with Farmerdill. I'd call that a cushaw. Mostly I grow them to feed my chickens and peacocks as they are pretty prolific. But they make up a lovely pumpkin puree that can be used for DH's favorite: pumpkin bread. I think there are a few other melon/pumpkins with that general shape and color. Check at Kitazawa See Co, http://www.kitazawaseed.com/, and see what you think.

Forgot to mention to look in the squash section. They describe uses for pumpkin in cooking as well.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2013 8:50 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America