Coffee bean experiment

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I thought I'd try to germinate some exotic coffee beans I got today. 7 different kinds. Can't wait to see if they come up and what kind of germination I get.

two of these sell for $40 a lb. EEEEEK!

Kyle :-)

Thumbnail by Eclipse
noonamah, Australia

Good luck with your new business venture ;O)

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday Kyle. Hope you have a great day.

Thumbnail by patootie
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Jackie! :-)

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Happy b'day, Kyle, but inquiring minds really want to know if you have any coffee plants yet?

Although I'm guessin you'd have reported if there was any joy yet, huh.

Elaine

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

haven.t started them yet no room at the inn with all the other plants, but will keep everyone posted on progress.

kyle :-0

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi Kyle.............as a FYI, I enquired from someone that "knew" coffee, and I was told that coffee beans that you purchase will not germinate, as the roasting process has, in effect, killed it. Unless yours aren't roasted.

Good luck.

noonamah, Australia

If you bought them as seed then they should be okay. But if they were just beans for brewing then they'll have been roasted.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Nope , these are un-roasted seeds.They roast them at the cafe when they need them.I got em right out of the shipping bags from around the world.I'm gonna try to get them soaked then planted this weekend.So the experiment continues!!!LOL

Kyle

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, that is way cool. Good luck.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Any news on the coffee beans yet?

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Not yet....... :-( will wait a while longer,these can take a looooong time to come up.

Kyle

Mulberry, FL

you can take them in a moist paper towel and start that way it takes time

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Considering where coffee grows, I'd be keeping them really warm, too. Put them outside when the weather's hot, in the shade. Bring them in if the nights fall below 60. Or maybe on top of the fridge? If they aren't rotting (you can tell by the smell) they are still ok.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.