Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Martisor: A Romanian Celebration Of Spring: Martisor/Martenitzas

Communities > Forums > Article: Martisor: A Romanian Celebration Of Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Martisor: A Romanian Celebration Of SpringReplies: 3, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JanaMariposa
Santa Rosa, CA

March 4, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9438290

I first learned about the Martenitza tradition in Bulgaria when I went to visit my best friend there in March of 1984. I have been making them since then, and taught all my Kindergarten children how to make them as well. Thanks for all the lovely photos and more ideas of what to include on them. I always used twisted red and white yarn, with red and white silk flowers...Time to make more and start wearing them to make Baba Marta Happy!
thanks so much for the article. I'd love to correspond with you.
JanaMariposa
janarosa@sonic.net

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

March 5, 2013
12:13 AM

Post #9439176

Jana, thanks for sharing about the Bulgarian tradition which you are carrying on so beautiful. Your kindergarten kids must be so thrilled to make the martenitzas!
I read about this tradition and it seems that Baba Marta is related to our Baba Dochia, thus the "Babele" tradition we have from March 1st to March 9th. I see a new article coming up next year!LOL
I'd also love to correspond with you. Sending you an email soon.

Adina

This message was edited Mar 5, 2013 4:13 AM
indian57
Stara Zagora
Bulgaria

March 7, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9442036

Yes we all have our Martenitzas on ready to see the first stork then we can take them of and put on our fruit trees for good fruit on that year.freedom_596@msn.com all the best to you.Tony

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

March 7, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9442112

A beautiful tradition! Thanks for sharing Tony! And for the email address.

Adina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Martisor: A Romanian Celebration Of Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful! kniphofia 24 Mar 29, 2011 9:24 PM
Our first Martisor Caedi25 3 Mar 14, 2010 2:30 PM
Nice phicks 3 Mar 16, 2011 2:37 PM
interesting folk custom irisMA 1 Mar 16, 2011 2:38 PM
Very interesting information sheltie47 1 Mar 22, 2011 3:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America