Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Clean and Clutter-free: Remodeling and De cluttering

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 41, Views: 313
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9440933

Ric and I are doing a small remodeling job on the bedroom where the Grands sleep over and keep their toys. Most of the room will stay the same even though it is pretty dated the kids just love it. We are going to paint the ceiling and part of the walls, also pull up the old stained carpet and put down a new floor. So the first part is to clean out the room and the only place to put everything is in the living room.

You should see the wall of toys in the living room. Hey why don't I just show you.
I am doing a great job of getting rid of things as they come out of the bedroom. Jamie wanted me to keep the big spring horse so I told him to come over and take it apart and get it in the attic if he wants it and I sent the old cedar chest to Jen's. Don't get pictures of neat old furniture in your mind. It is old but not in the good way. It is in Jen's attic she has real steps to her attic and you can stand up and walk around. It will serve her well this spring when coats and heavy quilts need to be stored. A whole box of books has found a home and a large stack of mags is also gone. There are a couple of totes of clothes and a shoe rack behind the couch and Ric took down a few pictures so we can take the bed apart and stand it against the wall. The dresser will go behind the couch. Maybe I can pretend it is a couch table, Put some pretty nick-knacks and a lamp on it. LOL Boy am I glad we aren't hosting any parties at our house.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Click an image for an enlarged view.

lovetopaint
Newark, DE

March 7, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9441786

Holly - you go girl!

Emptying a room, only replacing what you need/really want and getting rid of the rest is a big job. Remodeling too will make it a REALY big job, but oh the rewards when you are done!!!! Remodeled, clean, de-cluttered...in won't be long until you rest up from that one and start planning the next one.

Great job!

Debbie
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9441804

Thanks Debbie, I have 2 more bedrooms upstairs that hopefully will get the de-clutter/remodel treatment at a later date. Since Ric and I moved our bedroom downstairs those rooms are pretty much storage. Our old master bedroom I would really like to remodel but honesty we both like the downstairs bedroom we are in even though it is the smallest room in the house. The other room is used for plants and craft storage, I don't care if it is remodeled but I really want to organize it into a functional space. So why not toss a bit of paint on the walls while you are at it. Once summer starts very little gets done inside.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

March 7, 2013
9:14 AM

Post #9441829

Oh Holly I couldn't agree more. I bought a ranch house because I couldn't deal with steps. I sure don't want to have to climb them all the time much less to my bedroom.

However, I have 2 spare bedrooms that are so stuffed I call them my "black hole bedrooms" because no matter what I put in there - it's gone. I can't find it because of TOO MUCH STUFF! Like black holes, I think they suck everything in there. Ugh!

One WAS my craft room but with so much going on with family issues I haven't had time to craft like I used to, or want to in way too long, so now it has "stuff" in there too. I am trying to get back to it. I did a sketch for my cousin's birthdaylast month of her cat, but that's about it. I want those rooms cleaned but since I don't have to look at them they are low priority. I have been working through the rest of the house, the part we live in and use daily, room by room. I'm down to the last room - my living room (DH likes the den). It is slow going because a lot I wasn't sure what to do with from the rooms I cleaned, wound up in there to work on when I could. I want it done before I open the black hole stargates up. Honestly, I have found the rooms that I have de-cluttered and cleaned could really use even less than I was happy with when I did them. They could use another round of getting rid of but as long as I can keep it clean, I am continuing on to each room. My plans are to start over and de-clutter more from each room again once completed. Thing is I could keel over from old age before I get that done...I said I have a lot of stuff and I mean a LOT of stuff. LOL

Keep up the good work!

Debbie
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9441836

LOL Debbie, Getting old isn't for sissies. My children keep telling me that I need to get rid of stuff before the time comes that they need too. I have a tendency to hang on to things because I "might" have a use for it sometime. Ric is the same way so between us we have quite a pile of stuff. Son Josh was here one day complaining about all the stuff Ric has piled in the barn but he easily admits that when ever he needs something Ric can usually find it in the barn. He is down there right now looking for a piece of stainless steel pipe that Josh wants for a fountain project and a small cage that will hold a few baby chicks for the Grands to raise. Then they will come to Grams house when they are big enough.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

March 7, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9441893

It certainly isn't for sissies but I don't like the alternative! I figure as long as I wake up on this side of the grass it's a good day. LOL

Yep that's my problem too. I might need this someday...or I paid a lot for that... You should go to the "4 Obstacles" post I started and read the linked article about dealing with these cluterr issues. It's a good article. I was once victim to them all but have cut my "problem" to half now. Does that make it an ex-problem? Nope - guess not, I still see too much stuff around me I need to work on.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9441948

I started looking at that and then had to run out to look at some chickies.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9442345

Wow! Once again, I have found my soul mates. As for getting old...Lord, how did I get to be 71? Only yesterday I was 45 and a FOX, full of energy and raring to go. I won't go into the details of 'now'. I have been known as being "anal" about my home, my yard, my kitchen, my garage, my car...you name it. We have been retired for 6 years now and I am slowing more everyday...more like downright lazy. Youngest child will be 47 tomorrow, now how can that be? Even worse, oldest will be 50 on the 27th. YIKES

My studio is so crammed I can no longer get into it much less actually make something. You should see my Pinterest page...goodness so many things I want to do and I won't live that long.

We have lived in the same house for 46 years. You would never know it. Every 5 years i remodeled from the front curb to the back alley. Still have the yen but not the strength. Don't misunderstand, I am not ill, just can't seem to muster the energy. OLD AGE IS DEFINITELY NOT FOR SISSIES!!!

MIL is 95 but that is another story.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2013
6:47 PM

Post #9442361

Hey Lou, Nice to have you here.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

March 9, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9443933

Hi Lou,

Welcome to the crowd. We all have our problems. They may be different but we all try to encourage each other. It sounds like your craft room is like my craft room (black hole bedroom). I have this little path in there about 5 feet long and that's it. The rest is "stuff" in every direction. I'm serious...ashamed, but serious.

Debbie
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9443954

I have been embarrassed on occasion, too.
I spent the day at a very nice Gardening program. I go to this most every year with my friend. It is a very fun and informative program. So I came home to the back bedroom being pretty much empty. The bed and dresser have been moved into the livingroom and the old carpet is mostly removed. I forgot that there is another layer of carpet in that room so that will need to be removed also.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9443962

Hi Debbie. My mother belonged to a quilting club and ever so often they would have an additional meeting to share their "UFO"S"...unfinished objects. Everybody would check each others project and if they wanted, would trade. Amazing how much more interesting it can be to get something that has been haunting you gone from the premises. The interest in the new item would kind of get them going again.

I would absolutely love to have someone of like interests (and mine are broad) to help me with those three baskets...Trash, Give Away, Keep.

Wish there wasn't so many miles between all of us.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

March 10, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9444763

Yes Lou - you are so right, we could come over one day to one persons house and help them, the next time would be to another's, and so on. Just keep making the rounds until everyone's homes were clean and clutter-free.

Can you imagine what 2 people could do together instead of one? What if that were a group of 3-4?

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2013
10:28 AM

Post #9444793

When I was a young bride and had not so many possessions, I had a neighbor, same age, same everything. We would do trade days where we would help each other move furniture and rearrange all the knick-knacks. Always fun to have a fresh eye.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9470000

I tried to do that with my brother & a bunch of friends but we worked at my house the 1st weekend & then the round robin came to a crashing halt. I suspect that I was the only one brave enough & relaxed enough to have people in my house.

But I was pleased! My electrical-savvy brother swapped out my hall lamp, a friend with construction experience put knobs on my kitchen cabinets that had sat un-knobbed for 18 months because I was scared of drilling the holes. Other folks moved furniture & raked the leaves; I scrubbed the enormous glass chandelier in the dining room.

All stuff that would have remained undone if it were just me.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 4, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9471754

Just finding you ladies, but sure do fit in with this crowd...definetly an ongoing and never ending job, this decluttering gig is. I could basically repeat all that has been said about the condition of your homes and particular rooms, yep, same here too. I did spend a couple of months recently doing yet another de-clutter and was able to send away a good amount of things to a charity that will come to your home and make pick ups...

All of this is now leading to me actually getting the opportunity to join with a friend and co-own a space in a nearby antiques mall store. We are just getting started this week, and I haven't taken the first thing up there yet, but do have things ready to go this weekend. I am really excited about this endeavor because it is something I was involved in some years back, but haven't had time or motivation to get back in to till now. While de-cluttering I sat things aside that I think I can make a nickel off of, and now I have the place to hopefully sell some it...Yippie!!!

Lou, good to see you as well as all others...I have become a big Pinterest fan too and the crafts board is the one with the most pins...of future plans...I did order some supplies and received them yesterday but won't have time to work with them until next week when I have a week with no baby sitting duties...hooray!!!

What an exciting week this is for me...I too have remodeling plans for the calendar year of 2013. I am hoping to have the inside of the house painted before too very long. I am officially tired of the present color and want a change as soon as it can happen. It definitely won't happen before my many house plants go out doors for the summer...or before I have once again packed up too many china and book cabinets.

Anyway...good seeing everyone...waving hello to summerkid also...see you ladies again soon I hope...happy trails all.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9471807

Ruby, How exciting a new venture for you and a friend to share the fun and the work. How very nice. With the weather warming up and Ric's and my focus is moving outside. I have no idea when that bedroom will get finished but I don't know how long I will be able to stand having this furniture and toys sitting all over the living room. Ric wants me to move some of the house plants that are in the GH back to the living room and there really isn't an inch to spare right now.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 6, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9473728

Holly, I know how you are feeling about things not being where they belong...that is the bad thing about doing any sort of renovations it seems. I suppose I am now at a point where I can begin putting efforts in to packing up china cabinet contents yet again, to be stored while the house gets painted. I know I have been talking about painting for several months now, but there is so much to do in order to have the house ready to actually get to it...you understand I know. Same here with the outside beckoning. I have been out a few times this week and it is so nice to see things in bloom and know that before too long, the country side will be in very pretty colors with plants and trees. We too have a lot of yarden maintenance to do. I was able to spend two short times this week working on beds in the back. That is a start I suppose. I will try not to dwell too much on all the rest that needs doing...get to it when I have a chance, is all that I can do.

Anyway...hope those reading here today are having a good day...that is the name of the game...be well all.

Ruby
shnoodle
Boulder, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2013
12:02 PM

Post #9563693

I've been working on my entire house remodel for 3 years now. So much happened in my life in 2010-2012 that I ended up having to stop the process halfway through, before I checked myself into a looney bin! I won't go into the details of all that, but I'm finally recovering from it all. At least I'm not in a wildfire prone, tornado, flood or hurricane area. I really feel for all those who have suffered so much from natural disasters. Some of them more than once in a year!

Just this year, I'm finally am getting back to the decluttering so I can move forward on the remodeling, This is my 7th house, so I'm no stranger to the processes involved, but it's soooo much harder this time around. I've been in this house longer than any other - over 15 years. I swore when I moved here it would only be for 5 years because I hate HOA controlled neighborhoods. The jokes on me though as circumstances really changed over time in my life.

So, this is where the kids did most of their growing up, and of course, they left 99% of their stuff here when they moved on. My youngest is in her last year of college, but she's not coming home to help this summer with the house. So, it's up to me. Have been buying many large plastic boxes to sort and store stuff in. Some will remain full and be packed away, while others have stuff going into yard sale and later to be donated.

I love the feeling of GONE!

This message was edited Jun 18, 2013 1:06 PM
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9563744

Here's to 2013, schnoodle!
And there's nothing wrong with looney binz, in my opinion, if you get out eventually. Probably no clutter there, eh?
dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9563753

Hello! I haven't been on Daves in a long time and was wondering where all the people I used to know went - hello Ruby and Hollyann!

After reading the comments on this page, I have to say am of an age with most of you and I was just wondering the other day where all the clutter came from! I will be 60 in December and I am finding it so hard to work all day and then take care of dinner and the house. If DH didn't insist on meat, starch and veggies every night, I would probably just have a V8 and a sandwich! But, after making and cleaning up after dinner, I just don't seem to be able to find the energy to declutter, so I reserve that for the odd weekend that I can stay home and don't have any company...

How did I get so old - in my mind I think I can still do so much but in actuality it takes so long to do anything!

dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9563757

Oops, sorry Summer, missed saying hello to you too! It's been a long time since I've seen any of your articles and I've missed them! Are you still in Illinois? Did you find a job using CAD?
Hugs, Terri
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9563800

Terri! Have been in Oregon the last 4 years but expect to return to Illinois this fall to be with my guy (if he ever retirez). Since we last chatted I have indeed worked in CAD, waitressed, and probably a few other thingz not worth mentioning. But now focusing on my art.

Stay with us, fill us in, 'K?

Also, show hubby where you keep the starch & the cookbookz. Alternatively, show him where the meat, starch & veggiez are in his sandwich & V8.
dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9563844

Summer, I have missed you, rofl!
Short version:
I got laid off about 3 years ago and had to move around a bit to get new jobs to pay off the mortgage. Couldn't sell my home for what it was worth and since my life savings were invested in it, decided to bite the bullet, get apartments and do weekend commutes (which got old pretty fast!
I have worked and lived in the Dulles Airport area and then moved down to Norfolk, VA with another company. Last August, the company that laid me off rehired me full time this time so no danger of layoff (I hope) and am living back home and telecommuting again.

DH stayed here for about a year and he was shopping and eating all kinds of terrible things, like frozen eggrolls as a main course. It was easier for him to just zap everything in the micro than to actually cook vegetables, except for the occasional microwaved potato that he loaded with spinach artichoke dip. Since he has 5 STENTS, and our house is in the middle of nowhere, it was a big worry that one of these days someone would find him dead on the floor from a heart attack. When I switched companies I made him close up the house and come to Norfolk with me which was good for both of us. However, I hated, hated, hated the position and the employees and was going to just quit and live off his pension when the people that laid me off offered me another job. So I'm back with my gardens, we are both very slowly losing weight and trying to get a handle on the messes that piled up while we were away. It's amazing how fast trash trees can grow in 3 years!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 29, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9579071

I am just now getting a chance to read this...hello right back at you Terri...I think of you too and had wondered what all you had going on. Oh boy, sounds like a truly very stressful few years for you. Also hello and welcome to schnoodles...you too sound as though you have truly lived through some very tough times too. I love your comment on things being gone and how good it feels...I agree, it is a great feeling.

I have been at the de-cluttering and down sizing deal for several years myself. It is a slow process, but the good feeling the end results gives us encourages us to keep on trodding ahead. I know that I would not have made the good progress that I have had at different times if I hadn't had folks here at Dave's encouraging me to keep at it. I used the excuse that I couldn't face it all alone for many years and felt that I needed to hire help to come and help me downsize. Ond day someone on these boards told me to pull a chair to whereever I happened to be working and pretend that she was sitting there with me as I went through things deciding what to do with them...I realized by taking that approach that I could indeed tackle the mess all by myself and I have done quite well over the years ridding my home of many things...there is definitely still a ways to go, as I have accumulated so many things over the years, but I am ahead of the game now and feel really good about it.

I learned things about myself in the process of decluttering and have made some life style changes due to the realizations...one is that it would be very easy for me to become a hoarder and that I need keep an eye on my expenditures from time to time or I could get in trouble. Anyway...hope Holly will check in soon and let us know how things are going...you two newcomers...keep coming back, we want to be of service if we might...I know it is easier to attack these things when we believe that others care whether or not we succeed...together we can...have a great weekend all and write and update when you can.

Ruby
dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9584890

Ruby, as usual you give such great advice! I have really missed that these past few years. Thanks for passing on about pretending a friend is sitting with you, I will have to try that. My biggest issue is that I get so much paper and set it aside to file but never file it. And it always comes back to bite me because inevitably I will need that paper at tax filing time or when the medical insurances get messed up.

All, hope you have a great day tomorrow, stay safe!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 18, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9604073

Hi again Terri - I am just getting around to reading this...truly, by having this person care enough about me to think of such an idea and allow herself to be the one I was "pretending" to chat with as I went along with de-cluttering, motivated me enough and I felt as though I had run out of excuses to put if off any longer. The amazing thing about that is that I only had to pretend one day that someone was with me, because after seeing my progress after one day, I was itching to do more...It was a major undertaking at the time and I removed a lot of stuff out of here. The messes we have made, have not been made in one day, and we shouldn't expect ourselves to resolve our issues in one day either. It is an ongoing process, but truly once a person gets started, it becomes a challenge with oneself and is so rewarding to clear things out that are serving no good purpose in our lives.

It seemed at the time that my house was lighter in some way and no longer being burdened by the excess stuff all around. I still have a ways to go with finally getting the home I dream of, but I have made a good start with it. The more we practice getting rid of things, the easier it gets...there will always be things that we feel we can't possibly live without, and those things should be kept...you never know, you might change your mind sometime in the future and be ready to get rid of even more things as you learn to live with less.

Anyway Terri, I am here as a support for you, just for the asking...again, I couldn't have done it without having a group here at Dave's encourage and support me as I worked my way through things. I owe so many, so much.

Holler if you need me.

Ruby

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9643178

The room is all but finished.The new floor looks great as does the ceiling and painted walls. I have to do a little puttying on the floor and door molding where it needed to be removed. Everything that wasn't painted has been washed down. I have started going thru the Grands toys and organizing and downsizing what we are keeping. There are two closets in that room one for hanging clothes and another with built in shelves. Both need to be gone thru and will be at a later date when we get home from our travels. I will be painting some furniture also at a later date. The closet doors need to be hung and the ceiling light fixture put back up. Wish I had just one more week to work on it. My son and his family will be staying here while we are away taking care of the dog, chickies and plants and the bed will be back in there for my GS to sleep in while his family stays here.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS         

rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 29, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9644710

What beautiful wall colors...dig that pretty flooring too Holly...some real blood, sweat and tears have gone into your most recent indoor project...my hat is off to you. I know that Grandson will love it.

I am actually taking the new bedroom that was recently vacated by adult son to have a Ruby Room...I am going to purchase a chaise for the room and have a large lighted plant stand in there...not sure of other furnishings yet, but it will be my reading a crafting area...at the moment it is still be used as storage as we move from room to room painting, and things need to be stored from the room we are working on. I am super excited about the whole project and get a smile on my face whenever entering any of the already painted room...about half down as of today, and only half to go later on. yippie!!!

My older son who is a homeowner is now finding out how much work is involved in upkeep on our places...he and his wife are hoping to possibly sell and move next spring or early summer and is now starting with some maintenance and finding that just in six years of owning his place, a lot needs his attention. That comes with home ownership it seems...always something to do or either the place will begin falling down all around you. Thankfully I am not afraid of hard work, but am often limited on what I can do, so have to rely on others to do for me...thankfully John has been in agreement with the inside needing painting, so no problem there.

Holly, once again I am envious of your travels...seems that this is year number two that we have been so involved in home maintenance that we haven't made any travel plans...maybe when the painting project is over, we can find some time to get away and have some fun...enjoy the rest of your trip.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9644763

Ruby I am making great progress with my room. Funny while I was in there doing the last of the touch up paint on the woodwork I was thinking of you and your huge project. I can't even imagine the work to move everything and paint the whole house at one time. We just do a room here and there and even that is over months when we get the time or urge to do it. The bedroom furniture is finally out of my living room really it has sat in here all summer. Of course we were outside most of the time. I have two pieces, a good size cheap entertainment center and stereo cabinet that were used for books and toys, that aren't going back into the bedroom. They are still sitting in the living room waiting for a new home in someone else's house. I still have plenty of toys but did manage to get rid of a few things and really don't need that big thing to hold them any more I will look for something smaller.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 1, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9647708

Hi Doll - you are coming to the same resolutions as myself...I don't need all these pieces of furniture...is there something smaller that will work the same? My aim when setting things back up is have a more spacious feel. That does mean that some things will be going away too, even if just to storage for now...My older son and his wife are thinking of moving next spring or summer in to a larger house, so I will have things they can have if they need them. Golly Molly, the many furniture items I have owned over the years and gotten rid of...some I would wish back, but most not.

Last summer when installing carpeting, there were some pieces I didn't return indoors then and now with this, I am finding a few pieces that I don't necessarily need here either, so that is one way to do it...

I will admit to having a topsy turvy house at the moment...nothing in its place...items being moved from room to room while clearing space to paint...this coming week, there will be no painting...the painters who are John and our friend Bryce have caught up with me in terms of prepping the area for them to get started...this coming week I will be packing up four china cabinets full of glassware items...does it sound like a theme? Didn't I just do this? hahaha

Anyway...I just saw completion pictures of JR's guest room and it is lovely...love the colors and wouldn't mind spending time lounging in there myself...I know that he will love having it done the way it is...I like it anyway...

So Holly, thanks for sharing your work with us. It is always great to see completed spaces and that helps to push me forward as I tackle my end of this re-do job. Again, thanks for sharing.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9647749

Ruby I would love to see a few pics of your new diggs when you can.
Here are the mostly finished pictures. I am going to either replace or paint the old dark dresser and there are a few piles of toys to be organized into a closet or cabinet when I get a replacement. Ric took the old entertainment stand to the barn to use as shelving and the stereo stand will work as a book rack down there for manuals. We set a small chair and TV stand for JR to use to do his homework on while they stay at the house. We are Beaching it for two weeks now. So no cleaning, gardening or projects of any kind. I think Jamie might put the ceiling fan back up for us while they house sit.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS      

Phoolan
San Luis Obispo, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9647771

Holly, I like what you've done with your new room. What a great concept, so cleverly executed!
As a kid, I had aquariums and later finally learned to dive; your room would have been a dream come true for me.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2013
12:59 PM

Post #9647773

Phoolan, Thank you so much. I too am a Scuba Diver and have a deep love of the water.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 15, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9660416

Oh yeah, will definitely want to share pictures when things are more completed...I just posted elsewhere that I bit the bullet last week and ordered a chaise for the bedroom where Tucker use to stay...it is now going to be my lounge and craft area...of course there is a huge lighted plant stand in there in which will soon be full of plants to spend their winter...

I feel until that arrives here mid week that I will not stress over the undone things and get to work arranging things when it arrives and I know what I am dealing with...so, shouldn't be too very long now folks...of course I am looking forward to it majorly.

Both of you ladies amaze me with the scuba diving deal. I was an avid swimmer as a child but never got as involved as to do scuba...I will have to live through your stories of being under the sea...The images of I have seen on TV of some of the schools of fishes and the different sea life that are shown are kind of mesmerizing for me and I imagine there is no better feeling than being in another world that scuba diving would put a person in...

Here is hoping all readers have a great week coming up.

Ruby

dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9661283

Thanks Ruby, hope your week is a great one too! Your room idea sounds great, wish my family lived closer so I didn't have to keep the bedrooms for them to stay in when they visit. I don't want them to have any excuse not to bring my grandkids to visit!

Holly Ann I love the color, blues, greens, and aquamarines are all my idea of peaceful colors and I am always in search of a little peace, LOL!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9662415

Since we finished the bedroom project I have moved things that were temporary stored in them back out of the laundry & mud/utility rooms. I have gotten rid of a few more small things or purposed them to the barn for Ric. I gave the Laundry room a good cleaning and will start on the Mud/Utility room next. Ric has a few things to move down to the barn before I will start. I am heading into the Bedroom to clear out another shelf in the one closet. Having the rooms looking good does help me to want to keep them cleaned up and staying that way. I have another picture for the bedroom and I saw these very cute wall hangings made from old windows with colored glass, shells, stones and other beach debris glued on. Really cute trash to treasure project. I have everything to make one for the bedroom. It will make for a great winter project and I was thinking about taking out the glass and replacing it with a mirror. I could put it above the dresser and paint them both to match.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9663569

Is anyone capable of offering me a little curtain advice? I am going to knock out 4 drapery panelz for my bedroom tomorrow or break down & spend 200 bucks on ready-made. So here are a couple of photos taken at sunset. On the bed is an unfinished quilt I'm making for this room, and hanging on the window & along the slider are my options. Please ignore how I threw everything on the floor to accommodate this lovely photo shoot. Obviously my bed frame is a dark wood & the wallz are a mottled mustard. (I've overglazed the other 2 wallz with a salmon tint but that's probably not relevant.) The bought pillow shams go with a dusky rose comforter that I use sometimes. You can't really see the floor under all the bookz & magazines, but it is a slate blue/gold rug on top of actual multicolored slate. OK, with all that taken into account:

1) The silk dupioni stripe hanging farthest to the left is the same as that hanging on along the sliderz, but it is unwashed & folded over, which gives the effect of being lined.

2) To the right is a different colorway of that dupioni, a bit mintier & "sweeter" and it is similar to the faux silk drapes I'm going to order if I can't make up my mind TOMORROW on this. I'VE BEEN AGONIZING OVER THESE FLIPPING CURTAINS 4 TWO YEARZ.

3) The fave stripe, washed & unlined, hanging with a white sheer, is at the right. Whichever stripe I choose, I'm planning to go with a gold sheer instead. Thotz on that?

The 1st photo is taken with a flash, the 2nd without just for more color context.

Thanks for any help.

Thumbnail by summerkid   Thumbnail by summerkid         

summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9663589

I don't think it was clear that my wishy-washiness over the lining is whether the room calls more for casual curtainz or full-on drapes.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9664497

Sorry Summerkid, I don't think I can help with the curtains. But I would love to have a much closer look at those walls. Looks like a lovely room.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9664530

Holly, I had an epiphany after posting that. (Does that happen to anyone else, the act of articulating & sharing jogz loose a decision?)

I have been hoarding 10 yardz of that expensive dupioni stripe for a very long time, afraid to use it -- and potentially screw it up -- because I love it so much. And I have BOLTS of silk lying around waiting to be dyed.

And then I was going to buy curtainz, when we all are trying to pare down.

So I have cut lengthz of both the dupioni & either a pongee or tussah, can't exactly tell, for the lining. Have sent them through the dryer on high & now am steam-ironing them. As much as I would like to prewash the lot, because my rule is to pretty much own nothing that cannot be thrown in the washer, I am going to try to keep the catz & dog & moi from harming these drapes. If I own a set of curtains that needs be dry-cleaned, maybe that is not the end of the world. I did order gold gauze sheers, which were cheap.

OK, the end.

Once these are up & the room is un-whirlwinded, Holly, I will take good shots of the walls & everything else. Thank you for the compliment, yes it is a fabulous bedroom. I keep a coffeemaker by the bed so that I can wake up slowly & enjoy the viewz, which extend in 5 directionz.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2013
4:18 AM

Post #9664824

Yes, I do think sharing does help bring out the creative ideas. Just thinking and talking about what i want to do has really helped me in the past come up with great ideas on how or what I want to do. Sometimes a question will send you down an entirely different path.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America