Photo by Melody

Florida Gardening: Spring 2013 from the beginnings and through the seasons.

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 214, Views: 2,330
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9441138

I'm planning to share pictures of our gardens from now and through the seasons and am hoping a few might do the same of their own gardens along with me here or on a thread of their own.

I'm planning to add to this daily, weekly or monthly with updates,... Remember,...I would like to see yours too, and its more fun to share... Glad to answer any questions any may have. I like learning new techniques and ideas and vice-versa...

David

Happy Spring Gardening!

March 4-6 2013. The beds are torn out re-edged and weeded. The Mushroom compost is laid out and will be rototilled in with a little 10-10-10- tommorrow... (Most of the Winter Cabbages in the front beds were harvested today and have been cleaned, blanched and frozen... Making room for Spring plantings. Cauliflower and Broccoli are still forming. Everything is cut back on the whole and hope we are not going to have any more late Winter Surprises!

This message was edited Mar 7, 2013 8:06 AM

This message was edited Mar 21, 2013 5:20 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9441929

My o my, thats an example of what my yard does NOT look like right now. Im working on it little by little tho.

Cabbage, my family just rolls their eyes at me, but I eat cabbage almost every day. I never really liked cooked cabbage, but after my last seizure, I craved cabbage and Ive been at it ever since.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9442212

It's nice hearing from you GG. Thank you. I Love cabbage too!

Today was a busy one, and there are a couple more photos and some information I would like to share today using this one bed from yesterday as an example for those who may gain ideas from it. I come from a 5 plus generation of Florida agrarians who taught me a lot and gave me my love of gardening. It was much harder for them then me, and after moving back to Central Florida now almost 5 years ago;...and buying a home on land that was a barren desert full of sandspurs with no vegetation left but the dead stumps of long past hedges from its Glory Days! Ha!...and then some...I have through trial and error; research and knowledge from the past, learned a few things that may be of interest to some...(Please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences any and all also. I love to share and learn)
March 7 2013 here:

After the soil has been ammended in any bed I am restarting and smoothed;...I have become a fan of corn gluten as a good dose of sprinkle before the mulch goes down in my beds. I use crumble not pellets of chicken scratch from the feed store. (I have chickens and it made that easy from the start to play with)
Once the weeds are dug out to get rid of their roots it acts as a natural seed germination inhibitor for weeds and a light fertilizer at the same time. I have researched alternatives to "Preen" type products 4 years ago and have found it works for me very well. This is worth researching yourselves for the belief factor...
I love good cheap hay at 5.40 a bail locally as a top mulch in new beds. Once it is flattened down to smooth by a few days of watering it and the amendments in (and the dream of a heavy rain helps!), all I have to do is take a hand trowel or my fingers to part a smiddgen and set my new plants in...It is easier to use this or mulches of choice first rather then adding it after the fact and tediously trying to not harm young seedlings or plants. Its also easier with larger plants. I hope this is helpful to some...

Happy Spring plans and gardening,

David

Yes another couple of dull pic's are needed from today to show what I am speaking of...(In a couple of days of watering the hay down;...It will be flat for those who have not used it before)

I only had to use less then 3 quarters of 1, 5.40 bale of hay to do this 35x6 (at its widest) bed with leftover! Cost efficient and look great too! It only needs to be tilled in next year after its done its thing. The soil can only improve...

This message was edited Mar 7, 2013 7:50 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand         

Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2013
6:39 AM

Post #9442686

David, that's interesting about the corn gluten. I'll have to give it a try. Over the years I've used different methods of "weed-proofing" new beds, but the results aren't what I expect (are they ever? LOL) Anything that can slow down weed growth would be welcome.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2013
7:07 PM

Post #9443346

I tried hay mulch one year on flower beds and it increased weed production. I complained to my husb. who buys our hay and he said it wasn't sprayed enough in the field to kill out the weeds before it was bailed. I sure was discouraged.

David your flower beds look wonderful. Please don't expect mine to look that neat. I have one bed I have to crawl on hands and knees to weed and it seems like weeds are back before I getout of the bed. I'm so desperate I'm considering a group cover between plants. I'm very interested in the one Sandy mentioned frog fruit. Also the stepable plant called isotoma. I'm going to quiz everybody for ideas during RU for a way out of doing all that backbacking (and knee hurting) weeding. I was about 9 years younger when I planted all these beds. Sure makes a difference.
Weeds defy mulch and push right up thru it.

Bonnie

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9443553

I believe you will like the results if you do Am Gal. Use it liberally and it works. I have a rock garden area that was plaguing me for a couple of years until I dug-weeded it and sprinkled the corn gluten. (chicken feed crumbles) The effect is amazing...if I do that early in Spring it slows the weeds to a crawl.
I'm sorry the hay you used didn't work for you Bonnie. I have never had any extra weed effects at all from the coastal hay I use. I even have some amazing local gardening friends hooked on it who always used to use the designer mulches exclusively. After using it the last couple of years, they and are believing in it and the look too! It has to be use really thick and flattened out to effect weeds and all weeds have to be dug out first. I have been fortunate controlling them fairly effectively so far...

Good luck...and Happy Gardening!

David

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
5:04 AM

Post #9443556

I forgot to say,...I'm planning Okra behind the fence screens, and Amaranthus of different types all along the front with a couple of Lemon grasses and a few other things. Mexican Petunias live under the Sun face. They were the first plants I planted here...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9443619

I pulled mexican petunias for a good hour yesterday, they are spreading little devils. Easy to care for tho and a long bloom season.

I love okra, probably my favorite veggie, besides white acre peas. I dont plant mine till june, as it needs oppressive heat. That time of the year, those pretty yellow flowers are all I have blooming just about.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9444213

You are so right about those Mexican Petunias GG! I keep on going with them anyway here and there though...and to think I just fertilized that batch in between? Ha!

Okra is the best! I have been babying 60 seedlings that are now 4 inches tall, and just moved 40 of them up today into 6" pots. I know I'm pushing the box with these cold night temps lately,...but along with the Amaranthus and Eggplants seedlings am just going to have to believe we are going to be heating up soon!

The front of my house helps I think somewhat (I hope?) It is full Southern exposure right there and I like to think the heat reflecting off the pale house color might help...We'll see!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9444565

David you inspired me, now that I've gotten my husband's big birthday bash over with I'm ready to tackle the garden winter clean up. I took my camera and took some before photos, I'd never thought about doing that before. ☺

I have spider-wort growing all over the place, those buggers sure love my sandy soil. I use my turkey oak leaves as insulation in the garden beds and it is my biggest job cleaning that out. Nice to see lots of new seedlings of all sorts coming up under those leaves.

I brought my Amaranthus seeds outside yesterday and sat them in the sun, they really perked up from my son's neglect to water them while we were gone for a week.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9444667

Seems Like the Spiderwort is Universal! They are my first Spring flowers followed by the Gaillardias (not counting the incredible native Beach Sunflower (Dune Sunflower 'Helianthus dibilis') which blooms year-round somewhere in my yard.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9444997

I forgot to say "I appreciate the kind words Sunkissed..." answering the last note I wrote. Thank you. I would love to see your early shots too! It is fun to watch gardens transform. The Amaranthus will love this weather we have now...

Today I moved the Okra's, Amaranthus, Beans, Cucumbers, Tomatos, and Asian Melons seeds right out front since it is the hottest spot in my yard with Sun. While I water them and the new the beds together, the beds will be damp enough to transfer some. Most will go in the back gardens though...
March 10, 2012

These pictures from today show how some of the other beds look now in different areas now. It will be fun to continue to share the changes and I hope to see your pictures too!

This message was edited Mar 10, 2013 4:27 PM

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
2:40 PM

Post #9445005

( I forgot the pictures! )

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9445113

David, I find you walkway entrance quite creative, did you make that?

I didn't get a chance to work in the garden today, too much going on today. Hopefully tomorrow I can get back out there.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9445190

Yes I did Sunkissed. It is 90% Trash to Treasure and thanks for reminding me... It has a story I can share on that forum!

I took today off to from the gardening. Sundays are good days to do that...

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9445483

Looking forward to these going in the ground soon...19 more trays of seedlings out back too...a lot of moving up to do...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2013
6:22 AM

Post #9445551

David - sure wish you lived closer - I'd be kidnapping you to assist in my endeavors.
I re-potted my tomatoes yesterday. Hoping to rent a tiller Wed and get the back garden started.

How much of the corn gluten do I need to put down? Just sprinkle like fertilizer?

Okra is one of the very few vegetables i do not like. Really bad experience with it in Basic Training.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9445556

Hmmmmmmmmmm... I've not seen any of the Spiderwort re-emerge this Spring. Wonder where it went???

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9445578

Qwilter, it is all in my garden. ☺

David, sure a lot of seeds, I can't wait to see your progress coming along.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9446204

You sound like one who would be a good neighbor to have Qwilter. Thank you...

Use the corn gluten/Chicken feed liberally as a ground sprinkle. It will not harm anything and be beneficial. Remember though that the already exsisting weeds have go to be dug out by the roots. It only works as a seed inhibitor.
It is a lot of seedlings going on here Sherri!

I actually compiled every Spiderwort I dug out here from the yard my first year here. We have the white, purple, and all shade in between variety. I then made a huge bed of them since they were free and that is what I had easily available for my first Spring on a barren landscape.

That bed is still one of my favorite memories. It actually was beautiful...They really are beautiful Iris-like-flowered plants to me.

Yes they do need to be controlled on occasion! Ha!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9448245

Guess I should have taken a few pics before I pulled the 3 trash cans of BIG weeds this afternoon. At least the BIG ones are easy to get a hold of & pull out. Tomorrow we are tilling it up. Then to decide what to plant & where.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9448319

There's Plenty of time for pic's soon Qwilter. I shared my first pic's here after I had already done what you did today!
I am happy to hear you are getting going too,...and am looking forward to you and others sharing our early beginnings this Spring and through the seasons with pictures!

I would love to see a picture after the tilling even,... Truly...It could be fun for all of us Florida Gardeners to share our plans and watch them develop. I wish more South Florida folk would get envolved with us too,...What they can do down there!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9448794

I've forgotten how much work March brings...I took some before and after but they don't look much different. We've been tree trimming mostly this week. The yard waste people gave me a dirty look when they saw the pile by my curb yesterday. ☺

This is two areas I've cleaned out, the wine barrel in the first two photos, I found in a trash pile has some black and blue salvia seedlings coming up from the plant last year...I'll probably find something popping up around the yard to put in there also.

The back corner is my DH's wood chopping area and kayak storage (not much I can do about that area). The azaleas are done blooming so I cut them back, the crape myrtles were not trimmed back in the after photo but are now. The shed had bleeding heart vine all over it, I cut it back to just the trellis, new growth is already coming out of it. This is the only grass I have in the back garden...in case I ever get a dog again and a place for my hammock at the end of a hard day. ☺

1. before, 2, after, 3 & 4 before shed and back corner. 5. after of shed and back corner, should have stood in same place as the before...excuse the hammock, another trash to treasure I obtained.

Okay the pic's didn't come out in the order I put them. The before of the shed and back corner are pic#'s 4&5 an the middle pic #3 is the after photo.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2013 7:46 AM

This message was edited Mar 14, 2013 7:52 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9449203

My rubbish guys must wonder what goes on in my backyard. 6 trash cans out there today!!!! 2 full of just roots.

Now to sit & decide how/what I'm going to plant. I plan to put veg & flowers together. I have 4 large ceramic pots I can do something with. Want to put up a trellis section to hide the propane tank.

So much to do!!!!!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9449444

Thanks for sharing those pic's Q!

I can already see the the Bleeding Hearts and Crape Myrtle growing!

Love the paths...

The kayak could be an asset with that hammock! Even your DH's wood (before its burned in the fire next year),...could be fun set side by side on end for fun during growing season as a border...

If you ever get tired of the hammock and don't find yourselve's using it that much,...a couple of posts at 8ft or so high could be sunk down in the ground across the cross of the pathway and create a rope/bridge/trellis tiki look!

Thanks for sharing Qwilter... Its going to be fun watching our Gardens grow!

Whats up with this last minute cold weather?...Lets believe its the last of it!

David
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9450383

Been outside all morning. I cant think of a more perfect day. The pleasure derived from the azealas in full bloom is boundless. The yellow finches are out in force, and they are just tweeting up a storm. Im almost done with the daylilies, I got the bananas replanted. Picking up pots from the yard, they are everywhere. The dogs drag them out of my pot graveyard. I was over on the side, just relishing in the frangrance of the George Tabor ( light pink formosa) azealas. Next thing I know, I heard the crows set up a cawing fest, I then heard something in the air, I looked up and a huge vulture was over my head, flying at top speed towards me. I could have hit it with a shovel, it was that close. Freaked me the heck out. At first I thought it was a hawk, but when I got my whits about me, I was pretty sure it was to big for a hawk. Whatever it was, the crows were on its tail. The only thing I could think, was it might have smelled the moles that i had covered with the trash can so someone else will bury them. The dogs dig those things up and it makes me nuts.

OK, back outside, have inside work to tend to this weekend. Hope everyone is getting to enjoy a little of the day. Im gunna snap a few pictures this afternoon.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9450531

Pot Graveyards...;... I have to share two pics of my favorites that I snapped just for you this afternoon,... (And of course anyone else who sees them..."What am I thinking?!!!!") Ha!

The Hawk story was really funny,... Loved it!

It was incredible today,...and its good to hear you enjoyed getting back to your gardens.

"I'm looking forward to those pic's!"

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9450597

The whole back needs a major clean up and revamp here now too. Since I said I was going to be sharing the gardens here and through this years seasons and starting now,...I cannot by-pass the fact that these are other pictures of the way things really look here and out back today,... and hope it looks better in a couple of months!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9450681

David - are the shelves from inside the GH or is that just shade cloth over them?

How soon do I need to move the lettuce out of the sun & into a shadier area? We are looking at upper 70s & 80 here next week.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9451076

The shelves are inside Qwilter...

Its hard to believe we are going to be up in the upper 80's next week...I think the cold is over and my lettuces start telling me themselves when they are uncomfortable. If they are well watered and still looing limp its the good old Sun,...and they're saying "Cool me Down, I'm getting Sunburned!" Ha!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9451415

Lovely gardens

Sandy
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9451651

I purchased a Contorted Mulberry tree today. He's 5' tall with lots of "curly" small branches.

My top soil & pine mulch are being delivered Mon AM. They will drive the truck in & dump a bit out at a time so I have less to move about. I will remember to get some before pics tomorrow. Then the "in progress" phase.

I was given some Iris, black eyed susan vine roots, and ivy startings. I have plenty of room out back for the ivy to crawl about.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2013
9:55 PM

Post #9451945

I just found your own personal site,( davidofdeland)you have as much space and work as I do, and I think I'll be learning some thing from you! Thank you for posting your picture's so I can relate to what your doing! I also am over the cold night temps, 3 nights ago I took every sheet, and any material I could get my hands on out to cover my beds! Thank goodness everything survived, when it was all in pots, I could pull it into the green house, but when I thought we had the green light for no more frost, I put it into the ground, and low and behold we had frost!! Grab the sheets!!! LOL, I guess this is why I love my gardens, nothing in my life can give me the satisfaction of seeing my hard earned works, growing something from seed! I just love it!, I'll follow you, and post picture's when I have the time, you also follow me, and post! :)
Thank you for your informative information !
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2013
4:09 AM

Post #9452023

Looks like NE FL may get some much needed rain this week.Now to get my rain barrels made before it starts.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9452151

Thanks Sandy. The Pot graveyard too?!! LOL
You have me all imagining about the look of that contorted Mulberry Q?! (Somehow images of the Apple trees on "The Wizard of OZ" stays in my mind. Ha!) That would be a good one to photograph along with other early beginnings. I've been thinking about a Mulberry too and maybe a Cattly Quava.

We have a 40% chance of rain for Tuesday too,..."Bring it on!!!"...
I was replacing the fence behind the front pond area yesterday, and am going to try to finish up today... You can see the area in the pictures I will be replacing today on the other side of the gate. The gate and pond need a fresh wash of paint and this area needs a whole lot of help! The finished look by april or June should show a more attractive space is the plan...
Thank you Jami,
I think we have gotten the checkered flag to grow now I hope...No More FROST!!!
Its going to fun to watch each others gardens develop and how different they look from beginning to end. It looks like you already have a good headstart!

Just pulled these Turnips yesterday...Happy Gardening!,

David

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9453010

I love that pond, it looks as though you used tires? crazy as it sounds, it sure looks like it from the picture, I had a home made pond at out last home, wish we could have moved it, but at this time none are in our plans, but maybe next year :), we still have a pool( above ground) to buy and get in before summer arrives! So many things I want to do, and believe it or not, we've only been in this new home since Jan 2, 2013. I started my seeds before we moved here, so some of the plantings I have in the ground already were started at my town house where I had the container garden! Gosh, we better NOT have any more below 40 temps!! I'm all geared up, and want to start seeing things growing, not covered up with blankets, and evrything else I can get my hands on to keep the frost off my baby's leaves:) lol, even my "kids" get all bundled Up! BTW,I love that mural on your home, of the fish, I just love that kind of stuff! You have a great garden, and I love the nautical look of it!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9453145

Oh David that is a unique pond you have there. You are certainly very creative in recycling items into your garden. I'm quite impressed with it all.

I hear rain outside this morning, still dark outside but the radar confirms it, love the sound of rain on the rooftop.
I was too busy with other functions Thurs. through Sat. to work in the garden, but was able to get out there again yesterday, mostly trimming and weed pulling. Something gave me a rash on my arms, which I'm not usually sensitive to plants, but I cut too many things back to figure out which plant gave me the rash.

I got some potted plants into the ground also, it gets harder and harder for me to find a spot to get a plant into the ground anymore, way too many tree roots to get around.

Here is my little pond, or should I say water fountain, yes it is store bought from Home Depot about six years ago...but I still enjoy it. I wish I had the room for a big pond. See that turtle on top, for some reason we have a squirrel that will keep pushing it into the fountain, it is a hoot.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9453176

No,..Its one of those 300 gallon stock ponds from Tractor Supply Jami. You've done a lot since January and by Jne you won't recognize your place! Thank You for the nice words...
That is a pretty area aroung the waterfall pond Sunkissed...and it looks like you have some nice plants!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2013
11:43 AM

Post #9453624

My parents had a planter in front of their house. It was an inside out tractor trailer tire on the rim. They were popular in west PA in the 70s. My Uncle was a trucker so was easy to get the old tires from him.
Planter was still there & in perfect shape when we sold the property 3 years ago.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9454146

here's my pond my hubby and I built at the old home we lived in before moving here! I wish I could have moved it, but when we left this house we went to Thailand for a year, was supposed to be 5 years, but I got sick, and had to come back to the USA to get fully well, which I am, thank God, but some days I miss being there, and I really miss things we sold before we moved there, as we couldn't take them with us. Here's my pond, and a few picture's of us in Thailand, ( I know I'm out of thread on this, but I just had to post something of Thailand:) ) This was a beautiful country, we managed to have about 13 months there, before I ended up in the international hospital for 10 days, after surgery, stomach problems, couldn't eat after I got out, constantly sick, so my hubby packed us up, and flew us home. It did take 3 months or so for him to make the decision as I was constantly fighting him over it, I wanted to stay, but he was very fearful for my health, so... here we are, I guess you could say he made the right decision, as I'm as healthy as a horse, as you can see when looking at my gardens, I really wanted to build a garden there, but at the time, we were still in the tourist mode, so never got a chance to settle down and start building a life there. I had a maid, we had gardeners, and if we wanted the maid would cook for us. There was so much to see and do, that I never had a chance to live like we do here at home, which is weird, we went there to live. Anyway, I have nothing but good things to say about being there, wish we could go back, but now, I have a new life, and am "living " again! ( if that makes sense?)

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9454558

I remember those tire planters back then Q,...They used them a lot on the beachside and planted century plants in them lots of times. I remember lots of folk painted theirs white or the color of their house...
Love that pond Jami! Sounds like you have had a colorful life!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9456194

The old pond is coming along...

I decided to go with a Pirate theme this year. The inspiration came from that old Halloween skull from last year.

A little extra Tiki type fishnetting from 'Big-Lots' and a few more shells, and the look can be set.

The plants are going to be the Magic though. Haven't started the plantings yet,... but the soil under the straw is ready...

...it will be fun to see what evolves!

David

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9456289

Jamibad,
Nothing is more important than having good health if at all possible. I wish you wern't so far away and could come to the RU at my place. We could load you up with plants. Maybe hubby will build you another pond where you are now. I have 2 and although they are work I sure do enjoy them when fish stay well and no desease. Kind of like us huh!

Take care and hope you get your gardens going good.

Bonnie

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2013
8:07 PM

Post #9456502

David, U know after looking at your pond again, I got to thinking, why "dig", I'm going to look around at yard sales and see what I can come up with, after I get this garden finished, I won't want to dig again!

I finished another trench, as in hill today, and planted some cucumbers and some beans, where I have my corn planted, I hear they make great companion plants, not sure which should be planted first, but the cukes had to go in, as did the beans, The beans were still seeds, but the cuke's have their 2nd set of leaves, and with all I need to do yet, I decided to go ahead and get those in, the corn seed will be put in , in about 2 weeks, as I have 2 rows already planted, as of last week. I still have the other half of the garden to be planted, got one hill tilled out and ready for squash, 2 rows will be the end of that, than along the fence will be watermelon, and down a ways some cantaloup, I think they should grow ok close together. And than I'm done! I have some different flowers in the green house growing from seed, which I just planted, so they should be ready in another month or so. I planted a lot of geraniums from seed to help ward off some pest, I have rosemary already in around the property, but will move it to where it'll do it's job, I only put them in the ground temporary, as they were root bound in the pots. I still have other seeds getting ready in dixie cups in the green house, those will be used for succession planting as needed. Those have just been planted when I took a day off from digging, I needed a big break. I know this is the first year and we had a plain canvas, and a lot of tilling, building and buying soils and everything we needed to get this far has been exhausting for both of us, but it'll be great to sit back and watch the results, and to know that next year will be much easier, as the hard part will be done, and than the fun actually sets in when gardening! Now, it's just a lot of hard work! My body feels it, my cervical spine feels it, my hands look like a 70 year olds hand, not a 50 + hands. But my mind is very peaceful, and I feel so good mentally at the end of the day to see progress. We moved in Jan 2nd, set up house, ( I had a month prior to moving in to packing up what we didn't need kitchen wise, and moving it here,
and putting it away, and slowly moved everything but the big stuff, and really had it all finished put away, when we finally moved in and slept here. My hubby started the shed Jan 10th, and slowly did the green house which was a dog kennel, the seeds were all started at our town house before the move, as we didn't know we'd find a house so soon, and when we did, that was it! And the rest you see unfolding here before your eye's. 2 1/2 months to be exact. And NO, I have not really did anything in the house, it's decorated, clean, but other than that, I haven't shopped for extra furniture we need, we went from 2 bedroom to 3, no garage to a 2 car, which is now the family room, mud room, craft room, thank goodness the shed is done because we also stored all the garden tools in the garage too. Garage looks cluttered but that will be finished when the garden is done, than I can focus on the rest of the house. We also are looking to travel to the Grand Canyon sometime this summer, and also going to Pa. for my son's wedding in Sept. and Than to New York to visit the daughter and family. I have a dear friend who love's my garden and will be tending it while we're away, and will reap the rewards for doing so. Thank goodness I have someone who love's doing what I do, and helps me quite a bit. Our dogs travel with us, so no need for a sitter, we travel in our conversion Van and a nice pop up camper. After moving half way around the world, travel will only be done in the States from now on. My hubby worked for the LIRR for 30 + years and has never seen anything of the USA, and it's always been his dream to travel but he met me, and I kind of put the crimps into oversea's travel. I even got sick when we went to The Dom Rep. a few years ago, we thought I had picked up a parasite, same as what happened in Thailand. So he won't be taking me anywhere out of the country, poor guy, but me, a lucky girl, I have a man who care's. Anyway sorry for rambling on here, I just get so hyped up seeing how much we've accomplished in such a short time. I was so sick for 6 months, and had to see so many doctors, it feels so good to be able to live life again, and to be able to play in the dirt, it just feels amazing. I had to explain why I feel so high, itt has been a long 3 years, and here it is, a few months, and it's like wahoo, look at me!

Bonnie, sounds a little to me like you've seen the downside to your health, if so, I hope your up and feeling good like me! Pardon me for asking, I'm still not use to all the abbreviations used on DG, I was a member before we left for Thailand but didn't stay current, when we got back and I could sit and feel like engaging in the internet world, I signed back up for DG, first thing! I loved it than I love it now, But what is RU ? LOL, I wish I could come, your very close to me, and I'd love to loaded up with plants, but at this time I really have my hands full, but can I take a rain check, once I know what it is! I don't have a lot of plants, sold and gave away everything, and now even buying flower seeds, just to get color in the yard and in the garden, much cheaper, and the first time doing it this way, wish me luck, I know that the geraniums are all coming up, I'm surprised, planted each tiny seed in it's own cup, and I have at least 50 of them, all orange, or yellow, but it's a start. I have some morning glorys starting, and some other's, not sure of the name, they looked pretty on the package, were ready for our zone, so I bought them, we'll see what happens, they are seedlings at this stage, but I did mix them up, and now am confused, some I marked and some I forgot to. The morning glorys I bought to string up all the fence around my yard, and to climb up around the shed. I have around 40 or so of those started, just this week so no signs of green yet.I have columns in the front of my house so I may put up some trellis and let them have at it out front. I'm going to use lettuce, and some other herbs as ornamental's in the front, nothing that isn't edible, other than my bougainvillaeas,(sp?) I have 2, 1 rose bush, 3 gardenia's, all dug up and brought here and replanted, I just found out I have a coontie in the front yard, didn't know what it was, asked on here, and now know what a wonderful find that is. I'm going to move it though, with hubbys help of course, I read up on it, and it should be OK, just not ready to move it, don't know where to move it to ! I'll post a picture of it for all to see, it's very full and beautiful! Why it's up against a palm tree is beyond me, but hey, the other owners may have wanted it there. The palm is off center in the front yard, and that's all that was there when we moved in. I only realized what it was after weed wacking around it, and thought some pine cones had fallen into the base of it! LOL, It was the seed pods.

Anyway, sorry for writing a book tonight, it's time to fold a load of laundry, and get my butt to bed, blood work in the morning, yuck!!!
Ya'all have a great evening, what's left of it, and have a happy and fruitful day tomorrow!

Pictures: my coontie, and I forgot to mention, the back yard has 4 azelias (sp?), They were beautiful, here are 2 of them, there are 2 of each, and I did have to weed them when we first moved in, they're up against the back of the house. I just wish they stayed in bloom for most of the spring and summer!

BTW, where was all the rain, we got a sprinkle here and there, than around 7:30 some short drips, and hour later maybe a 15 minute slow shower, my rain barrel didn't even show an inch in it! Sad!!! And yet others got some major downpours, 7 miles away, as my friend had! Oh well, maybe the next time!

Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad   Thumbnail by jamibad

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
3:12 AM

Post #9456616

Well hello to you too Bonnie...
It sounds great Jami!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2013
4:45 AM

Post #9456649

II got a wagon full of canna tubors yesterday. My cousin was going to "throw them in the trash"!!!! I have so much space out back that they can happily take over.

Never did get any dirt spread yesterday so that is on the agenda for this AM - after it warms up a bit!!!! Guy dumped it in 3 sections so I'm hoping I can do 1 day. If i start at the back side, I can get the Contorted Mulberry planted so it can reap the benefits of the rain coming in this weekend. Sure hope we get more Sat-Sun than we got yesterday!!!! Weather map showed this huge green area over us and all we got was a very light rain.
Want to get to HD for a few pieces of sod to toss out back.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9456666

What color are your Cannas Q.? Sounds great and mine are yet back again already after being frozen flat 3 times in a row after getting a foot high each time...They are troopers.

Take your time spreading the dirt and enjoy your day...
Forgot to tell you how pretty the Azalea pic was Jami...they were all very nice and it is amazing what you have done in such a short time.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2013 3:55 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9456710

All the cannas are red/orangeish. Wish there were some yellow in the mix. I have some on the side of the house that have been green all winter.

I had cannas in MD around the front porch which was cement & got all day sun. I'd leave the leave collect there in the winter. Kept the tubors nice & warm. They would come up same time as the daffodils & be blooming by June & keep going till the 1st freeze. One year I had pics of them 7' tall, covered in snow & still going strong.

have my work clothes & sweatshirt on & am heading out to deal with dirt! I just keep thinking "after this year, it will be easier"...who am I kidding!!!!!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9456826

jamibad,
what a nice pond you had, I know that had to be hard to leave. My Dad was in Thailand for a long time and he too said it was a beautiful place. But your health is important. You know my husband and I used to live in Flagler Beach when we were first married in the late 70's and early 80's. Our dream would be to find a place to retire there, so you are now living in our dream town. We are always looking at property over there, sounds like you have a nice plot to work on. I had to laugh at your comment on your hands looking like a 70 year old woman's instead of 50 something. I just said the same thing to my husband this past week. He smiled at me and said, "honey you have the hands of a hard working woman, but they are always soft and beautiful when they are in my hands", made me almost cry. ☺ You should try and come to the RU, I'd love to chat. We have a RV and spend weeks at Flagler Beach every summer.

David that pond is just too cool, I really like what you've done, and the skull spitting water, just great!

I'm just aching all over from all the work we've been doing, so is the hubs. He put a gutter up over our grill area and it now runs down into our new rain barrel. Got some rain yesterday and it filled it about 2/3rd's. full. My little bitty garden is looking much better now that all the debris is cleaned out from all my oaks. But still so much work to do.

Some after photos, taken at dusk so kind of dark, that last is my succulent fairy garden in our old fire pit.

-Sherri

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9456930

I caught up.

David I have a pot grave yard also-bet mine is larger than yours. LOL

Sandy
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9456939

You guys do give me inspiration!!!!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9457511

Jami, love that coontie its beautiful. Not many health problems really just know good health is a great blessing.

Quilter, wish I had known you wanted cannas. I potted up 16 and gave them to my doc. as I couldn't keep them bug free. Only ones that were ever really happy were those I put in pot in pond. They grew too high for a pond.

Sunkissed: love that little fairy garden. great idea. Also those large stepping stones look really neat and easier to cover large area. Someday I will have a sidewalk out front. Until then it will always need fiine mulch every year. This year I shreded 2 dump trk. loads of tree cuttings. NEVER again.

Got to get the stuff spread where needed after I get the weeds out. Kids are out of school next week so I am hoping for some help from grandsons.

Happy gardening all.

Bonnie

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9457820

Orangish red are great and you can always find some yellow Q...hope ya' got a lot done yesterday!
Sherri, I really like your courtyard garden a lot.
Actually your planting style is a lot like mine to me, with the split pathways and center Island. Love that firepit area and the logpole chairs too a lot. Is the fairy garden (which is a lot of fun too) still in the same location it was when you were using it as a fire pit? Tropical Cottage Garden! ( I'm glad you like my pond idea this year, Thank you!)
My pot graveyard has gotten a lot smaller recently Sandy. I have been potting like a fiend!
Happy Gardening to you to Bonnie, and everyone...

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9457984

you want me to send you a few-----hundred???
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9464183

I just dragged 150+ bags of mulch home in the past 2 days. Need to go find some of that corn gluten, pull up the dollar weed, and get to work. If tomorrow afternoon turns out as great as today, it will be perfect for WORKing in the garden.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013

Post #9464200

OMG Jean. That would have just done me in about 1/4 of the way thru. Im thinking on getting a pile delivered and working from it. It was a great afternoon, your right about that . Im headed to Indialantic tomorrow for my Dads 90th birthday, but God willing, Ill be back in the yard Friday. I did notice the walking Iris is really putting on a good show. I really need to do some repotting, but just havent worked up to it. I need some large bag of mis, used all mine on the daylilies.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2013
6:36 PM

Post #9464428

I haven't been over to check on my Iris recently. They are on the far side of the house & I only head that direction to mow.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9465290

I made progress today. Most of the dirt is spread. The rest is "extra" for other places in the yard. Moved some plants into the new garden. I got them at the year end clearance sale at the local nursery. only 2 had tags (pink Turks Cap & Pink Powder Puff) so the other 4 are "mystery" plants. I think 2 are a type of hibiscus. The others, will be a surprise. Then I moved a large lantana shrub into the new area. Got Canna bulbs along the fence line & some lilies (I think they are lilies) at the back edge.

A lot more work to do but was nice to sit at the kitchen table & look out & see plants!!!! I promise pics.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9465323

I don't want you to be let down by the Corn Gluten on the Dollarweed Q...

It works great on slowing reseeding for weeds, however, I still still battle with the Dollarweed. I try to dig and pull out those long thready white roots they have as much as possible, yet they are still a challenge.

The (Chicken feed crumbles) Corn Gluten does help greatly with stopping the weed re-seeds though...

I just bought this last month a white and a pink Turks Caps from "Almost Eden Plants" which I found on DG. They came in good form and am thinking it will be fun to start cuttings of the red,pink, and white together in triplets next year. Would'nt it be fun to have one bush with all three colors?! I love Turks Caps...

Waiting for those pic's!
Wishing you a special visit with Dad GG!...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9465355

I have a nice size Red TC that is in need of pruning. I just let it go crazy last summer. Now i guess i need to put the new red on in back with the pink...

TrumpetFlowerz

TrumpetFlowerz
Ft Myers, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 29, 2013
2:06 AM

Post #9465560

David, love all of your garden photos. ☺ Also wanted to ask you if you painted your house with the yellowish addition to edges and around windowsills, or did it naturally stain that way? It looks almost airbrushed, and I LOVE the effect it creates! If you did do it, what was your technique? Our home will be repainted soon, and the look you have is inspiring. (The effect I'm talking about is best seen in David's first set of photos at very top of this thread)

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9465628

Yes, it is a paint finish Trumpet Flowerz. Thank you.

It was Snow white first. Only one shade of a darker golden color applied heavier at and around the sides, corners and windows with a paint brush and sponge. The paint is only applied to the corners and edges etc, and then faded into the center areas with damp sponge. It kind of looks like cheesecake! Ha!

I also did my neighbors house up the street too,...I should take some pictures. You might like it too.

This picture shows how the house looked it 4 and a half years ago in white. The golden paint had just been started around the Sun. The plantings were the beginnings of the gardens and have now become Crazy. Maybe I went too far I think sometimes...Ha! Every plant you see here was added in the first six months. The grass was a miracle back then in this picture, because just 6 months earlier the lawn was a sandy brown sandspur desert. I hand dug them all out...

The white picture is of 2009, and the other two pics are from 2011 and the cottage garden look that year. Now you can barely see the house!,...HaHaHa! (What not to do!)

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand      

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9465725

OK David... I really do need to get you up here to get hands-on inspiration!!!!!

I'm actually taking today "off" from digging to get my wicker chairs & studio trim painted, mow/mulch up leaves, get some plant hooks hung, toss around some grass seed, and make a list of what I need from HD. I was so sore & stiff this AM rolling out of bed was unpleasant. Yoga class helped but think I really do need to rest some muscles today. Back to digging tomorrow.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9465777

David,

Your yard looks beautiful! You did a wonderful job on it.

Question, what is that red/yellow tall plant in the bottom left corner of the third pic? I love it!

Thumbnail by shauna1219

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9465884

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293990/

Check this out for Davids thread. Its all about that plant.

Love the sign!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2013 12:19 PM

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9465891

TYVM GardenGlory! :-)

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9466217

Send us some pictures of what your working on Q! We still have a lot of time ahead of us this season. Don't overstress yourself in the gardens...
Hey Shauna,

HaHaHaHaHaaa! That sign was great,... and I should make a rustic version for the front yard and put it right by the mailbox,...Ha!

I'm glad GG helped you find the information before I could get back to you,...Thank you too GG...

This late cold weather has slowed my Amaranthus seedlings started in February. ( in the 80+ degree days),...yet they are finally perking up. This is still now a perfect time to start Amaranthus for sure. I might wait later next year too. 'Mother Nature' fooled me with that early warm weather,.. and I zealously started some things really early. 'She' always gets the last word before she passes the wand to Spring clearly... Ha!

"Marchuary" Ha!

You coined the right name for Winter/Spring 2013. Good one!

TrumpetFlowerz

TrumpetFlowerz
Ft Myers, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 29, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9466224

I am more inspired than ever to give the house a paint job like yours David. Thanks for the time lapse. It does look so much more loved with your way of finishing it off. And I love it when the plants take over. Kind of like the English cottages with the ivy growing all over. It looks fantastic.
Hey, I love that sign too, going to tell DH so he can laugh about it. He is the 'water bearer' ☺ ☺ ☺

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9466542

I'll look forward to seeing your paint job Trumpet. The technique looks nice on blocks and incredible on stucco...

My paint job was inspired by neccesity. The front of my building is full Southern exposure, and the Sun was unbearable out front glaring off it in all day,...and especially when it was plantless. Instead of doing a complete repaint on a great paintjob, I just altered the color to avoid cataracts and skin cancer! Ha!

The beauty of it is,...that it only took a little more then a half gallon of paint to do it. Cost effective!

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9466662

I have a 40lb bag of corn gluten to "get me started". The lady at Ace was singing its praises. Said she recommends to anyone looking for a natural weed killer.

So I'll take some before pics and get to work on the front yard...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9466780

Im going to call around for that corn gluten. Guess Ill try tractor supply. I know HD doesnt have it. It would be such a blessing if that worked around the daylilies, so long as it doesnt hinder them in any way.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9466828

I really am hoping the corn gluten works for you both. Remember that the chickenfeed crumbles is mostly corn gluten too and is readily available at any feed store for around 12.00 for a 50 lb. bag and is predominately corn gluten. It is all I have ever used and is a lot more cost effective if a lot is needed. ( of course having chickens I always have that around anyway though...)

Well,...Its March 30th now and I am still just cleaning out beds, working soil and mulching and fertilizing. The gardens are void of any color but greens and browns still, but Its good to see the green.

These are more beds That I worked on today. The back is another story...Ha!

Happy Gardening.

David

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9466835

David, How neat to have the before photos of your adorable house and then to compare later shots. I do that kind of painting inside the house, but never thought about outside. Our house was a real fixer upper with a sand pile for a lawn when we bought it, and I wish I had before photos to see all our progress over the past 20 years. But that was before digital and you had a roll of film and you took it into Eckerd's to be developed. So most pictures were of the kiddos. I think digital photography was the greatest invention ever. ☺

Shauna I saw the weather.com calling this Marchuary, gave me a chuckle. I also pinned that sign awhile back on Pinterest about wetting our plants, pretty funny. I get lots of great garden ideas from Pinterest late at night when I can't sleep.

Qwilter looking forward to your before and after pictures. This is such a great idea, all started by David. ☺

Not much time this week for gardening, of course was cold and windy the beginning of the week, I don't do cold... had the grandson a few days since he is on Spring break, cleaned house today, and with tomorrow being Easter, we have all the family coming over for a BBQ...but come Monday...I'll be working in the garden again. Can't wait.

I do wish everybody a wonderful Easter tomorrow, and it does look to be a lovely day.

-Sherri

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9466935

I know Ace carries it and am guessing any of the places that sell organic supplies.

Just got an area planted under a big palm on the front side of the house. Put down a nice layer of old newspaper & then mulch. Of course, 1/2 way thru I remembered I hadn't taken a "before" shot. Description will be easy - there was nothing but weeds under the palm.

So the 1st 2 pics are the piles of mulch that will be added to the front beds.
3rd is the new mulch & sod in front of the house.
Last is around the corner from 3rd pic. Put one of the purple leaved shade loving guys and an Ox something that trails & get yellow flowers. Also shade loving.

Got the tomatoes in the back garden. Picked 2 ripe cherry tomatoes. So sweet. Ran out of energy before the gluten & straw could be put down. Guess that won't be too much work for tomorrow afternoon.

Ordering a pallet of sod for next Fri to deal with the front yard.

Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter   

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2013
2:59 PM

Post #9466940

Why did you have to mention cleaning the house...I really have to drag the vacuum out this evening but current;y DH is parked in front of the TV watching a movie.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2013
5:53 PM

Post #9467092

Sherri,
When Q. shared her garden pictures with us today,...the one with the cool log-pole fence reminded me of those chairs around your firepit. If you do have any eggs to hide with family coming over tommorrow, you guys will have a lot of pretty places to hide them!
We're looking forward to seeing what your up to in your gardens when you can to Shauna...
Q,
Thank you so much for sending those Pictures!

I already feel like I know your gardens better. You have a peaceful and pretty neighborhood and lots of space to work with;...It is going to be so much fun to watch them develop. Sherri, you and I already know we like Island concepts and pathways now! I think it would be fun to see what our other Florida gardening friends are doing too. (You have a lot more space between your islands then pathways though!)

Keep up the good works! I'm sending two more pictures from today to show you and all looking that in the middle of my jungle I still have a little grass area left and at least pathways! So many plants to love...Ha!

O.K., 3 pictures! I admit that the cake we baked picture is a little staged, but it will be shared tommorrow... The book was given to me by my Aunt Zane Francis at 83, who passed a few months back. She gave it to me only a couple of weeks before she did. She got it in the 70's and it was originally written in the 50's and was an updated reprint. It is still to this day right on with Florida Gardening! My favorite book indeed.

The cake is Tre-Leche Lemon Meringue...

( The second picture kind-of-sort-of reminded me of your fence area with the Bottlebrush Tree. I just planted the Cassia (grown from cuttings and in a pot from 3 years ago) and transplanted the Dwarf Pink Oleander and moved the birdbath yesterday.)

This message was edited Mar 31, 2013 6:18 AM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand      

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9467764

David - are there other gardens in your neighborhood? I'm the 13th house in from the main road. Other than 1house with plants around the front porch, and a couple with shrubs and a couple clumps of cannas, none of the houses have any gardens. Continuing further down the st, about the same. Most houses have nothing at all out front. At least the house behind me has some flowers & a veg garden close to the property line.

One new couple in the 'hood - ret navy & this is the 1st house they have had - wants to learn how to garden. Their house came with some lg Azalea & hibiscus shrubs.

Happy Easter to all...that cake sure looks tasty.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9467846

Yes Q,

There are others but spotted around the area within several blocks. Not so near.

My friend Sue has the most spectacular talent for gardening and is special. She looks at DG but hasn't joined yet to talk with us. I think I should start a thread someday showcasing Her talents though, because Her talents are amazing... I will talk to Her about that...

We have a lot of gardeners with similar concepts as mine popping up more it seems these days around here though, And I suppose its like most places here in Deland. Gardening in the midst of too high water bills I think is one of the culprits for many. If I had not put a well in when I first bought the property, my gardens would definetly still be looking more like the 2011 pics I have posted. It wasn't a bad look to me then or now. It was less busy, simple, completely drought hardy, and would still be a look I could go back too should the seasons fight me too hard over time...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9467917

well maybe you can take a few pictures at her place for us David ;-)

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9467948

I will do that GG. I think it will be in a few weeks though, and after things get going a bit more around here...

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9469469

Good morning everyone!

I sure wish my Amaranthus seeds would hurry up this year,...I don't know it was the late cold weather, the seeds or me,... but they are crawling;... guess I'll start some new ones now that Winter is over just in case...

Hope we get that rain to dampen up the sand a little bit they are talking about in the next couple of days,...they were wrong about yesterday!

I found this little resin pond with glass tile mosaics in it at a yard sale for ten bucks. (I turned the fountain off so you can see the pattern in the last picture.) Yesterday I sat it on a block in my very rustic little pond. It creates and interesting overflow effect and less water movement on the water surface below it... I'm not sure I like it there or not... I'll leave it there for a few days though at least,...?

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9469500

We got rain starting at 3PM yesterday. And it obviously rained overnite. Nice & wet out this AM.
Of course also helped the oak fuzzies to fall off even more.

I love water features. I have a couple pumps just need to put something with them.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9469539

Good morning everyone,

David - I love that glass mosaic pond...very pretty. I found that El Capitolio in a kmart or walmart nursery last year for $3. That poor little plant was neglected and scrawny and I just has to have it. :-) I have purchased a few of the Costa Farms Tropic Escape hibiscuses over the last few years. The blooms are big, bright and very colorful! Here are pics of the blooms from last year. The 1st is called Sunrise Mimosa and I have that in tree form. The 2nd one is called Monsoon Mixer and the blooms fade to yellow/purple.

Thumbnail by shauna1219   Thumbnail by shauna1219   Thumbnail by shauna1219      

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9469558

Nice birdbath and flowers. We got no rain here, but need it.

Dont know if anyone has citrus, but boy was it heaven working out yesterday in the wind, it just kept my sense loaded with scent from heaven. Mercy does the smell of those flowers float my boat, especially when in the wind.

Altho I have mosquito dunks in all my bird baths and pond, I try to keep water moving if possible, it seems to keep the tadpoles( cuban tree frogs I would have to kill anyway) and mosquitos from hatching in them.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 2, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9469586

I love that new pond, the mosaic work is awesome!!! You are a very lucky man to find a pond with mosaic work for the price you got it for!!!!! I still am looking for something at yard sales to make a pond with. I hope I get as lucky as you! Just beautiful ! Now, are you going to keep it in the existing pond, or give it a home all of it's own ? A few Koi fish in it would complete the look, and a smaller pump, to just move the water enough to keep it from going stagnate would be an idea, just saying. Another thing I'd look into, I read somewhere that a table spoon of vinegar in a birdbath keeps the sediment from building up on the bottom, and wouldn't cause harm to any birds, so I added some to my birdbath. I haven't seen any birds in it since I set it up, but you could look into it for your pond. I guess if you decided to use it for a fish bowl, they alone would eat the sediment, and float some pond lily's in it, they have oxygen to keep the water clean. I once had a beta fish, and put a peace lily in with him, and never had a problem with the water. I only had to change it 2-3 times a year. Anyway, just some idea's for you. I know you'll come up with something fabulous !

Rain ? What's that ? We had these big, big drops fall from the sky, while the sun was shining yesterday, there weren't any rain clouds in the sky, just a few gray mixed in with the white. These big drops lasted for a mere 6-7 seconds, enough to cause a little steam to raise from the wet pavement. That's it, and nothing last night. I wish it would rain a slow rain, to melt into the ground, not run off. The weatherman is still calling for rain, so we'll see.

Have a great Day, Jami
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9469805

I have a hibiscus that looks very similar to Monsoon Mixer but is called Tequilla Sunrise. Also changes color with age. I put it in the GH over the winter & the leaves are just now coming back. Sure hope it will bloom again this year.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9470890

OK... drum roll... the in-progress back garden. Have the bright tomato cages up. Hopefully the wind socks & bird will keep the squirrels away. Still in progress but "proof" I've been working on it!!!!

Getting dark & windy out...storm is coming.

Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter         

ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 3, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9470949

The Florida Association of Native Nurseries will hold its first trade show starting tomorrow, April 4-5, 2013 at the Osceola Heritage Park in Kissimmee, FL.

Join us at The Nation's first all native plant wholesale trade show which will house 40 of Florida's finest native plant growers showing landscape quality native trees, palms, shrubs, vines, grasses & wildflowers.

Learn About Florida Native Plants From the Pros!
CEUs for Landscape Architects, Designers, Installers & Arborists
Demonstration - Real Florida Landscapes™
Putting Wildflowers to Work Research Symposium
Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Best Management Practices Training
Show website: http://www.NativePlantShow.com

Schedule of Events & Directory:
http://www.nativeplantshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/2013TNPSOfficialGuide.pdf

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2013

Post #9471006

Thats a lot of fun space Q!

I think like my friend Sue here, ( this is a shared philosophy of gardens we share ) is right;... that all gardens change every 6 weeks. It is going to be amazing to see how quickly things fill in here in our Florida gardens once we start. You have a great start, and thank you for sharing your beginnings with us...
...and we will be looking forward to seeing it develop! Its fun!

I've already talked to Sue about sharing pictures of her gardens on a thread in the next few weeks and she is thrilled. The Gal is inspirational...

Sue is a member but not a paid member. We're going to have to get her talking with us and you'll be seeing why soon!
Shauna,
I am thinking our native Spotted Horsemint ( Monarda punctata ) might be a perennial that could be of interest to you.

It is incredibly freeze and drought hardy and a great multi-tasker. I use it like oregano and its perfect in cooking. It has tons of medicinal herb points. When I am feeling a cold or bowel issues coming on,...I snatch some leaves and flowers;...tear and chop them apart;...make a tea and let it steep, and then drink it and eat the leftovers like cooked greens. I always feel better within and hour or too! It is a plant worth researching.

It is a Beebalm and there is no plant in my gardens that draws every kind of Bee, and Butterfly like it...
...It is incredibly beautiful to boot! I'm sending you some pictures. They will reseed and you will have babies popping up around them here and there though... They are easy to weed, hedge and mostly stay in their place and are trustworthy beautiful perinnials suitable for hedges or backgrounds wherever heat, drought, and freeze hardy is desired.

Monarda punctata.
We are still waiting for that heavy rain Jami, Q, and GG. My Citrus trees blooms were set back a tad by those late freezes here. A few little fruits are forming though... (We will likely be getting some tonight, cross our fingers!)

I have been looking at the Mosaic forum because of you Jami,... and am being inspired by what you guys are doing! Looking forward to seeing your first bowling ball!

David

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2013
1:56 AM

Post #9471373

John,

Thank you for sharing the information about the natives trade show. It sounds fascinating and it would be interesting to see which plants the 40 Florida natives growers have to offer. I am sure the Monarda above will be one of them...

Wish my days were not already planned. Maybe you or someone else who makes it there can take some pictures?!

David

This message was edited Apr 4, 2013 8:29 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2013
3:57 AM

Post #9471393

It is POURING here. Did not get everything planted yesterday and hoping the baby hibiscus plants don't get beat up too badly. When it is lighter out, and a break in the storm, I will go out & move them to a protected location. Again, did not put the grass seed out for fear it would all get washed away. Another good call. Hopefully I can get it out tomorrow after the deluge & while the ground is still wet.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9471511

Forcast is for strong storms here today. Thats OK with me. I can take pots etc. I'm fixing for RU in my husb. shed and paint.

Quilter I hope the birds don't get your grass seed. When I put some out the birds flocked in and had a buffet.

Love those hibiscus from Costa Farms. Does Lowe's or HD usually carry them or can you buy direct from Costa Farms?

David, where is a place to get the beebalm? I read where the butterflies love it and I would put it in my butterfly garden.

Bonnie

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9471531

I saw bee balm at HD. I dont know why I didnt buy any. Im going back for pineapple sage, as the bees and hummers LOVE it. I dont know why I only got one.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2013
6:40 AM

Post #9471556

Thanks GG. I'd better get going and get outside. Skys are gray so maybe we will get some rain today.

Bonnie

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9471753

@David, that bee balm is exactly the kind of plant I need to add to that flower bed. I have already added it to my "want" list! Thanks for introducing me to it! :-)
Now I just have to find it!

@Bonnie, I have seen those hibiscuses sold at both HD and Lowes.

It's been a light rain here in Tampa, off and on since yesterday afternoon. The plants are loving it and my rain barrels are getting full.

Shauna

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9471765

I have the barrels but have not had the time to get them turned into rain barrels. I have the pieces. Now that the garden is well on it's way, perhaps I'll find time, before the next rain, to get the barrels made & in place.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2013
12:45 PM

Post #9471893

Hi Everyone, Yes, the rains came, my rain barrel filled up, we already emptied it, so it can fill again with the rest of what come's from the sky. I am loving it!!!

David that monarda punctata is beautiful, I added it to my list of flowers I want to plant around the yard. Just FYI, I finished 3 bowling balls, and have 1 more to finish, but I didn't even start it yet. Mosaic is a fun hobby, and will last long after we're gone. I always use a clear polyurethane on the finished piece because it give's the mosaic a nice shine, and helps protect the grout when the piece is outside in the elements. To see the bb's I did so far, look under mosaics "show us your bowling balls" thread, I don't know how to attach the site to here. I guess I have something new to learn. I also have a small table, and some stepping stone's I did somewhere on DG I thought it was with the same thread, but maybe not and than the bird bath I posted to my garden picture's. My DH just brought home a wood kitchen table, that'll be my next project, to be used out in the garden area where I plan on growing flowers. I think it'll be awesome! I'll post some picture's as I do it over on the mosaic site, and will let everyone know when I do.
You have such amazing flowers in your garden, this is all new to me and I have been writing the names down as I see them. I can't wait to show some picture's as I get the flower garden going, but for now the vegetable garden is keeping me busy, I still have more corn to put in, pepper plants, egg plants more cucumber and squash, and to end it all watermelon and cantaloupe. These are all in the GH waiting for me to get started. With the rains here, I'm ready!

Have a great day everyone, enjoy the rains :) Jami

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9471989

Getting caught back up. I love this rain, my rain barrel is full again, which is good since I've been doing some planting and almost emptied the last rain's worth out of it.

Q, nice to see your garden coming along, you have such a nice size to garden in. I wish I had more room, then I could have more plants.

David I just can't believe you found that mosaic pond for ten bucks, I never find stuff like that. I need to garage sale shop in your area. And no we didn't hide eggs, my one and only grandson is a step grandson and he spent Easter with his bio Dad. But we did dye some eggs the day I had him.
I love the Beebalm, I saw it for the first time last summer when we were at the beach, I almost ordered some seeds from the Florida Native plants, but didn't, now I wish I did seeing yours.

Shauna such pretty hibiscus flowers, I had some blooms back in February before it got cold on mine, but none since.

Jami, I do think I could enjoy making a mosaic bowling ball. I do see those at garage sales all the time. I'll have to think about that.

John, thanks for the heads up, wish I saw that earlier today, might have headed over there. Can't tomorrow. My fault for not getting on here sooner.

Well I pulled up some plumbago bushes out front that were dying, between rain storms today, that was a job. I don't know what to plant against my house there, I have to be careful of roots, because of the sewer pipe. Only thing that seem to like it there is Gaillardia pulchella and periwinkles. Think I raked the last of the leaves also.

I see the sun coming out, think I'll go sit a spell and watch the birds. Keep posting your photos everybody. Here are a few more of my progress, hope I didn't post them before. The Easy-up has clear tarp panels rolled up in the one photo. Just let them down when it gets cold and put some lamps in there, use alligator clips on the sides and heavy bricks to hold the bottoms. I'd take them down now but a wren has made a nest up there.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed      

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9472081

Sherri,
Look at how much has already changed since the last pictures you sent us... Thats fun, and I see the progression already!
Did you get rid of all your plumbagos on that side? Mine usually come back if I cut them back to the ground even after hard freezes. I'll bet you'll be having new plants popping up in those beds anyway,...you know how Plumbago loves to crawl here!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 4, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9472100

I'll bet Bonnie got a good rain today and Ihave no doubts Shauna is in Tampa...Lucky you!
Jami,
I checked out your bowling balls and they look great! It's amazing how long that thread scrolls and how popular it has been!...Yet,...I found you! Ha!
Last night we did get some decent rain here too Q and am glad you got yours.
Bonnie, Shauna, and Jami,...I do have some Monarda that I would be happy to share with you should you ever traverse this way. ( Please not till May now, I was set back a tad by those late cold days too and have a busy April...) Anyway, I am only 7 minutes or so from the DeLand exit at the Central Florida Fairgounds off the the I-4. (Interstate) Should the day come we will use D-mail and talk dates.
I bought a red Beebalm by 'Bonnie Bell' at Lowes last year GG, and it did not perform well for me and was not the beautiful bright red Beebalm I have seen photos of and talk about here on DG. Mine grew faded and pink and did not to have much pizzaz or Summer or Fall happiness in my garden...I'm thinking its more of a more Northern one.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9472621

Hi David, you can put me on the Monarda share list also...please. ☺

The plumbago just doesn't do well in my garden for some reason. It has been out front for years and looks worse every year after each freeze. In fact most the plants were easy to just pull out of the ground, roots and all, which tells me they were half dead already. I see such beautiful plants on the freeways and thought my sunny sandy spot out front would be perfect for them. The only one I have that does well is shaded most the day, it is about five years old. My neighbor said it didn't do well in her garden either and eventually died.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2013
8:06 AM

Post #9472628

Hi All, David, I'll take you up on the offer, if I'm ever in the area, I'll give you a heads up, and we can discuss day and time. Thanks.
sunkissed, your garden is a cozy garden, just looking at it makes one want to curl up with a good book, and just relax. I like the smaller gardens, easier to maintain, and like I said, creates a cozy intimate feeling. I can't wait to see it in full bloom, I bet it's beautiful! A bb will look awesome in the garden when you decide to try it out. Get yourself some weld bond,( the glue for mosaic's) order it from Ace Hardware, a 22 oz. bottle runs around $12.00. If you have to order it through them ( their warehouse) and have it delivered to the closet Ace to you, and pick it up there, there isn't a shipping charge. I was getting mine off e-bay, I hadn't found it in local store's, but the shipping charge was as much as the cost, so I looked around, and found that Ace has it in stock in the warehouse, but not all the ace stores stock it. So, order it and have it shipped to the closet Ace, and pick it up. That's the most you'll spend when doing mosaic, unless you order the expensive glass and tile from e-bay. I use what ever I can get my hands on, break it, and glue it. Dishes, coffee cups, car windows, you name it, you can glue it. I do have a glass cutter, ordered from e-bay, it helps me trim the pieces when I need to. A cheap easy hobby. Check out the mosaic threads!
I'm glad to see everyone is doing well in the gardens, so anxious to see how things grow as time goes on. Glad we have finally gotten some rain. Till next time, happy gardening! Jami

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9472657

Bonnie and Jami...Everwilde Farms, Inc. sells the bee balm seeds. According to the site, one $2.50 seeds packet contains around 2000 seeds...which have already been ordered! :-)

I am fairly certain I will be going to the RU next weekend and will bring some with me.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9472697

shauna, Thanks, myself and DH will be attending the RU, I'm anxious to see faces, and Bonnie's gardens. This will be my first one, so really am excited. I'd love to have some seed for B balm, My DGF up north, in Pa. brags about her B bal to me. I'd never heard of it, till she came to visit last month, and was helping me plan out my garden, as I started with nothing but a blank. I have the vegetable's going strong, but flowers were never my passion, my DH has a good eye but not really into it this year. I'm looking forward to seeing how mine will turn out once I get it started. I really like how sunkissed garden looks, small and cozy, and hope I can achieve
something similar. David and Q also have nice looking gardens that help give me some direction, too many idea's actually :), I keep adding to my want list, not on here, I have a notebook here at home that I take note's and keep the name's of flowers I'd like to have. I guess I could do it here, but really have nothing to offer anyone in return. I hate taking and not giving something in return. But so many idea's floating around, just beautiful!

Anyway, time to fold laundry, I hate this job, my wash machine was broke down for a few days and needed a pump, it came and now making up for lost time! Yuck!
So, you all have a happy beautiful kinda day, Happy Gardening ! Jami

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9472774

Jami and Bonnie...I am just hoping that the seed order gets here in time for the RU.

I have been growing flowers but have never intentionally grew vegetables...we have had tomato plants growing, but those start as accidents.

I know that sounds funny...growing tomatoes by accident...but here's the story.

I have a homemade pond (maybe 4 ft x 4ft) on my yard, with a turtle in it. We feed the turtle veggies and other kitchen scraps that don't make it in the compost bin. Well, nature takes it course and the turtle does his "business" in the pond. When it comes time to cleaning out the pond, we shop vac the water out and dump it in the other flower beds. That water apparently contains happy little tomato seeds because we randomly end up with tomato plants popping up where we dumped that water.

This year, I had some tomato plants pop in in a pot I had planted some seeds in and decided to give vegetable growing a try, so we made this little bed for vegetables.

There are carrots, green beans, green peas and tomatoes in there.

Thumbnail by shauna1219

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9473198

Nice shauna, That's awesome! Maybe your on to something! Turtle poo, for everyone who has a pond, recycle the water straight to the veggi garden! Actually, when I think back to it, when I had my man made pond, we would shop vac out the water, to clean it, the only things in the water would be tad poles or frogs, but we would dump the water in the yard, and never really noticed, but the grass was always greener. Maybe there's something to it.

I was out in the garden today, wow, what a difference 2 days of rain make's, I'll be posting picture's Sunday, as tomorrow I have a going away party to attend to, but I have blooms on the squash plants, my peas have plenty of blooms all of a sudden, my green beans must have grown 3 inches, the tomato plants are so full of leaves, very sturdy looking( I decided this year I'm not picking the sucker leaves) and getting blooms, the thing iI have to think about now, is do I pick the blooms off, and let them keep growing. Same with my pepper plants, they're getting blooms on, but aren't ready to produce baby's yet! I will deff pick those blooms off. Anyway, when I put the picture's up, I may get some feed back!

As far as you getting the seed's in time for the RU, Don't worry about it on my part, it's the thought that counts! As I said, I just got started and really don't have much to contribute. In my GH I have some herbs, Basil, Chive's, Oregano, and some other's, to late to think off the top of my mind. I also have some Morning Glory's, and a couple of other flowers seeded, and coming up. I'll bring them to give away if any one should want or need them. I wish I had more to give, And I do have cantaloupe and watermelon seedlings! More than I can use, so I'll def bring them! I always plant more than I can use, but I belong to a doggy park group, and we always trade stuff. I make fresh bread and sale it cheap, and because we all garden, we do swap plants. If someone is having trouble growing something, we switch out our good to someone who has a need for it! This is my first involvement with something like this, and as I said I'm looking forward to it. People to meet and new things to discover! I'm bringing my note pad! lol!
Anyway, time to get to bed, was up early helping my friend pack some of the day, she's leaving Florida for a Job in Pa. :( good for her, sad for me,plus laundry, yuck, and grocery shopping ! Too much for 1 day! All is quite here on the home front, Dogs tucked in bed with DH, and me sitting here on the computer. LOL, I enjoy the quite, and the TV down on low, nothing but the crickets to be heard chirping!
You all have a great evening, and a happy, sappy kinda of Saturday, Keep up the gardening spirit! Jami
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9473514

Jami,
I always have a notebook handy with me as I have always learned new sources for plants I am interested in and other info. I get from others attending the RU.

Check your D-mail please.

Bonnie

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2013
4:13 AM

Post #9474359

Shauna I see on your want list, Scarlet passion vine, do you still want some? I have some nice vines and can bring some clippings for you.

-Sherri
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9476500

David - I'm blaming you for all the aches & pains I'm feeling right now. I project led to another, but first I had to do something else. and so the 5 hrs of gardening flew by. I'm too tired to even take any pics tonite!!!!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9477087

Of course I will be happy to share the Spotted Horsemint with you Sherri should you be passing this way,...and that red Passionflower can grow can't it. When my neighbors pass the trllis on the sidewalk and ask me if they might have cuttings I just tell them to bring their shears over and take as much as they want... That is the fastest growing thing in my yard!
It's good thing Q!!! Ha!

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9477254

Hi Sherri,

That would be nice if you would be willing to bring some clippings of your scarlet passion vine.

Q - It seems when gardening, 1 project always leads to another and the work never ends! But, I think that is why we all love it!!

Also, for anyone who lives near the Tampa area; USF is holding their Spring plant Festival this weekend. It's $5 admission and not only do they have tons of plan vendors, but you also get to check out the USF botanical gardens.
"Find orchids, begonias, bonsai, cactus, Crotons, butterfly plants, camellias, bamboo, tropical fruit, citrus, gingers, Plumeria, palms, bromeliads, carnivorous plants, African violets, native plants, herbs, ferns, & lots more."
Title: 2013 Annual Spring Plant Festival
Date: Sun 2013 Apr 14
Time: 10:00 AM

Thumbnail by shauna1219

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9477298

I used to love that festival. By the time we left Tampa, it had gotten really big and crowded. Lots of interesting plants tho.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9477309

Hi GG - it gets bigger and bigger every year...but they do have a good variety of interesting plants at good prices too!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9477310

And next weekend is the St Augustine plant sale at the Ag ctr!!!!! Gotta love these Spring sales.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9477368

RU on Saturday and plant sale on Sunday...gotta busy plant weekend coming up! :-)

Hopefully I will have time to do some yard work!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9477802

Its amazing how fast our Florida gardens change. Just 3 or so weeks ago we were battling late freezes!

These are some new pictures of things going on around our garden here in DeLand today. I will post them in 3 posts as I took many. If pictures say a thousand words they can well outdo me,...and If anyone has any questions you know I will be happy to answer them.

I will tell you all though, that that huge Night Blooming Cereus has been with me from New Orleans days. It began as a small cutting given to me by a very special artist and gardening friend named Jerry Mcgill who was pushing North of 70 even then. ( A while ago )

I just took these pictures today. Some are pretty and some are just the way it is! Ha!

I'm trying to be cost effective and wiser this year,...and all my flowering annuals and including Amaranthus are a little late since I started them from seed. I believe it will all work out in time for color though...and once the cut-back Hibiscus and others start blooming.

These pictures will be in random sets. No plan for arrangement. I'm sure any looking will figure out the ones in the outback! Ha!

David

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9477810

More April 9, 2013 pic's...

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9477820

And a few more from today for the heck of it! (April, 9 )

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
2:25 PM

Post #9477835

Leftovers from Winter is the last picture.

Aren't we all happy its over?!!!

Happy Gardening!

David

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9477942

Just seeing plants growing makes me happy. It's like a sign of rebirth for the earth. The time we spend in our gardens is good for us both pysically and mentally. I hope I am like your neighboring gardener and still at it when I am her age or older.
David, hope you told her we appreciate her letting you take pics of her beautiful gardens so we can all enjoy them.

For those coming to the RU I accidentally broke off a large limb of the plumeria and set the end in water and anyone that would like some is welcomed to it. I have grown it big but never got a bloom yet but know its a yellow one.

Happy gardening All.

Bonnie

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9478195

WoW, WoW, Just awesome! You have some knack with plants, it's astonishing! I love the layout, and the tranquil feeling you get when looking at some of the garden paths you've created. Stunning!

I'm envious, and hope to achieve the same in my gardens! Maybe in about 2 years! lol !

Jami

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9478614

I also have an "out back" and a side that are rather "wild". Goal is to get some Gingers going in those areas. They can just go crazy and spread to their hearts delight.

I'd like to get some chickens - maybe next year.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9478617

Gosh David it was nice taking a virtual stroll through your wonderful garden. I do love this time of year when each and every day something new has popped out or up. I have a pool date with my Mom today and those dang taxes are due...but I will get some pictures soon.

My Amaranthus seeds seem to be at a stand still, I have them in morning sun and afternoon shade, I wish they'd do something. I have a grill screen cover over them to keep the squirrels and birds out.

Sherri
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2013
7:39 AM

Post #9478644

I too enjoyed the pictures. I think Im going to start calling most of yard the outback, it sounds better than out of control. It looks unkept at times, but Im not calling it that, it takes alot of work just to keep it looking out of control ;-)

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9479914

LOL @ Outback..I use the term "Jungle look"

so, I got home form work yesterday and was wandering through the yard, just checking things out (killing a few lubbers) and saw several flowers I have never seen before. After some consideration, I realized that they were some iris blooms that I received in a local plant swap last year (that I have never seen bloom). The only blooms I had ever seen in that area were a yellow walking iris, so I assumed that was all that I had there. But, no...lucky me I was wrong! I have a white walking iris too; Walking Iris, Apostle Plant (Neomarica gracilis)! Yay..Happy Dance!

Thumbnail by shauna1219   Thumbnail by shauna1219         

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9479921

I have those all over the place too. I wish they would stand up and bloom, before they started walking, but a pretty bloom works for me. Ive got yellow ones too, but only the white are blooming. Are your yellow ones blooming?

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9479924

yes GG, both my yellows and my whites are blooming. The yellows have been going strong and "walking" all over, but yesterday was the first time I had seen the whites bloom
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2013
11:02 AM

Post #9480174

Anyone else have honeysuckle, mine is just perfuming the air and making the bees and hummers happy.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9480235

I got myself a pink flamingo at the Dollar Store today. Figure I need one in the back somewhere.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9480472

I'm happy to share the early days here in the gardens and thank you all for the kind words.Those were nice photos of the Irises Shauna, and unfortunately I have no Honeysuckle perfuming my air GG. A neighbor does though!

It took 5 years for me to get this jungle of mine Jami. Beware... Ha! I just love a good jungle though;...gotta have somewhere to put all those plants!

I will be looking for a picture of that Flamingo in the gardens Q!... A wipe off, of a dark wash of antiquing in a dark shade can turn even the simplest plastic Flamingo into an antique look if you ever feel the need to 'rustic' it up,... and any old acrylic paint will do. Been there and done it!

Happy Spring gardening!

David
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9481030

We got 1" of rain last nite. Bird bath is full. Luckily I thought to turn the sprinklers off before I went out.
Caladium bulbs left from last year are starting to sprout; 2nd planting of Peacock Orchids are coming up, just picked 3 ripe cherry tomatoes.
Cool wind really blowing out there so think the next batch of rain is closer than the weather guys are predicting.

I like the sound of the rain on the roof & the smell of the air.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9481089

We haven't had any of that rain yet, but I am hoping it comes today! My rain barrels need a re-fill.

David, thanks to you, I ordered some Monarda punctata seeds and they arrived yesterday! Didn't get a chance to plant any of them, but that is on today's agenda! Thanks again for showing us the plant!!

Got the first blooms of my guara plant and 4 o'clocks already.

Love the Guara, the blooms remind me of little butterflies!

Thumbnail by shauna1219   Thumbnail by shauna1219         

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9481116

I am sure hoping for rain here in the middle today...

Guara is on of my favorite plants and I just moved a batch of re-seeds to my xerisscape bed. I'm going to see how they do in the sand and rocks with just fertilizer for the hack of it. I can always find more in the grass somewhere to dig out... Another name for Guara is "Jiggling Butterflies" Shauna!

Heres some pictures of first blooms I just took this morning. The Violas are going in the ground and planters today.

Blue Delft and Tiger Eye Violas
Orange Crush Cannas
Triple Yellow Datura
Gaillardia and Agave

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2013
8:28 AM

Post #9481237

I need a yellow datura. Have a peach colored one.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9481370

Ok David how are you making that profile picture?

I received some double purple datura seeds on a trade, I guess it is warm enough to start them outside now. I was going to try them right in the ground, but maybe should in a pot first...what do you think?

I have two new Gaura plants, one is white. I have a little bit coming back in a pot also. They seem to last a couple years and then poop out. I'm going to put these new plants right in the ground, the first one I had in the ground lasted three years. I've seen them labeled "Whirling Butterflies".

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9481379

Cannas...that's what I need more of...my dogs have trampled through the flower bed that had them so bad, that I only have a couple growing this year.

Whether the butterflies are jiggling or whirling, it is still a beautiful plant. :-) In addition to that one, I have 2 baby plants that popped up off the mama plant from last year. It had blooms in white, pink and shades in between off that plant and am curious what color flowers the baby plants will produce.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9481414

I have some seedlings coming up That I will be potting up and happy to share with you Q when you stop by in the near future. Bring me something from your gardens to now,... I know you have special things I don't! No Air Potatoes please...HaHaHaHaHaa! Can you believe there are still people selling those things as ornamentals???!!!
Cannas are the best for comeback forever there plants for me Shauna...
Sherri,
A Lady named Tallulah on the sewing and quilting forum just shared her expertise on getting the avatar pics over your name,...so I just copied her well written advice on the subject. I would never have met these talented guys and gals if Q had not recommended that I send the pictures of Grandma's Quilt to them. It is fascinating what they do with fabric these days...check out their works sometime.

From Tallulah:

1. open another tab of Daves Garden.
2. Open a thread that you've posted in, and find one of your posts.
3. Click on your name on your post
4. You'll go to your "Member Page"
5. in the "Your Actions" section, click on "Manage Preferences.
6 On the left side, under "Preferences", click "Your Picture"
7. You can ignore the "Please give a short..."
8. Below that box you will see "Select your forum avatar"
9. "Choose File"
10 Scroll through on your computer to find a picture you want to use.
et Voila!! You will have your "Avatar"

Thank you Tallulah if you see this!

David

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9481560

Ok...this is an avatar test.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9481561

Hmmmm, looks blurry, well I'll have to pick another one later. Thanks David and Tallulah

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9481566

Thanks for the avatar info David and Tallulah :-)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9482333

I went across the rd to get super duper 24D Dollar weed killer & darn if the didn't have yellow cannas an miniature hibiscus. The friends that were to come & visit today have the stomach flu so I'm going to make good use of the BEAUTIFUL low humidity day.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2013
4:51 AM

Post #9485702

The front yard veggies are coming along nicely now that things have heated up. Those are Okra plants behind the fench panels and Lemon Cucumbers and Giant Kohlrabi in the front. ( I started the Okra seeds too early this year but 15 out of 40 seedlings made it through the cold,...going to start some new ones now )

The third picture are a few of the eggplants in the front beds. Then a Dwarf Powderpuff and the last is the first Daylily this year...
Cool avatar pics! and I need to control my dollarweed too Q...and mine all started with a gift plant from a friend 3 years ago! That was one weed I did not have till then.

Happy Gardening!

David

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9485710

Seems we had some rain overnite. I'm not complaining at all. Hope to get the area around the tree done today then I'll post the before & "now" pics of the front. Then I can move onto working in the back.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9485843

Went up to HD this morning, I needed another knock out rose for a spot I cleared out yesterday. Big surprise, that is not all I have to plant now.

Wish I had gotten some veggies going before now. Yours look nice David, as does the daylily! I havent had any of my registered ones bloom yet, here are two more headed to the cull pile.

littles sea sprite x super fancy face
our miss ruby x just fabulous

Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory         

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9486104

I'm definitely going to the Day Lilly show on the 11th. I NEED some.

I just transplanted some sore of "weed" that has the cutest, tiny blue flowers. It has been growing int he middle of the back yard but I wach the tops off when I mow. Moved 1/2 of them intot he flower bed to see if they will live back there.

Bug man was just here & nuked the fire ant hills. Now I can finish working in 2 of the gardens
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
12:20 PM

Post #9486175

Jean, it is probably the daylily clubs having the sale, and if so, you can pick up some good ones at a good price. May, is daylily MECCA, my big daylily weekend of the year. Its when peak bloom is in FL., and when we get to meet up with people we only see once a year. The link is to the info on MECCA, I put it up because it has links to some of the hybridzers web sites, if you want to take a look.
Also, there is the Lily Auction. Not much going on right now, but enough is on there to get a general idea of what you might go for. Come the fall, things really get going, as people divide their plants. Not uncommon for there to be 10 K items. TONS of seeds, not that you want those.
Frank Smith used to have a big bar-b-q, but now hes just doing orchids and Pete Harry bought him out.

http://www.daylilymecca.com/
http://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi

This message was edited Apr 16, 2013 2:24 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9486210

Darn, I'll be in DeLand the following week. Never realized there were so many DL growers in that area. I'll have to look!!!
Fall dividing sounds like a wonderful time also.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 16, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9486395

I only have 4 different daylilies in my gardens now,... but that one red ruffley one in that one picture on the second site makes me think I need another!

I think I have one Daylily, that is coming into bloom soon, and has developed a bit more over a couple of years that I am believing is going to be the best it has been this year. I think you will like it GG and Q, but may likely already have it.
The first pic is of it now.

I will be happy to see you when you stop through Q. I just met Erin ( Tarziesgirl ) today and she dropped off a new Opuntia and the Aloes Sidney sent me from Bonnie's RU. She did not have a lot of time but it was great meeting her! The Opuntia has orange flowers she tells me, and I will grow it with my yellow flowering giant. Thank you again Erin and Sidney...
"Goldie" is the name I've given this little girl that is in the gardens daily now. She has a compelling nature. Her temperament tells me someone else in the neighborhood likes her a lot too. These last pictures are of her today,... while I was trying to photograph the first Salmon colored El Capitolio Hibiscus bloom of the season this evening. (the last pic)

This message was edited Apr 16, 2013 5:53 PM

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9486517

Oh David, what a glorious clump of daylilies. Just look at all those scapes, is that ever going to be pretty in bloom. Even an ugly flower( not that yours is) looks good in a clump. Cant wait to see the pictures.
I have a feral cat thats has moved in with us. Its mother still comes twice a day to visit and eat, it will come right up within arms length, but no closer.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2013
4:21 PM

Post #9487763

Things are greening and growing away.

I am astounded at how may blooms the large yellow flowering Opuntia is developing. It will be special soon...

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9488374

David, love the close up of the Dragonfly and the El Capitolio Hibiscus. You have such beautiful and tranquil gardens...no wonder Goldie spends so much time there. I know I would!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 18, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9488972

Dragonflies are at the top of the list of my favorite bugs Shauna...; of course right next to the Mantids and Ladybugs. Thank you, and I am looking forward to seeing more pics of things in your gardens too.

I just took these pictures this evening. I'm so glad the Sky Vine wasn't burnt to the ground with the last freezes, and was able to start blooming early. It will be non stop now. (first pic)

I started some pure yellow colored Gaillardias 4 years ago, and have not seen one since until today! Amazing and unexpected re-seeds 4 years later?! I always try to not overweed the Gaillardias to early, but this is one I did not expect to see again at all! I still like the originals the best though... (2nd pic)

Goldie is still hanging around as of today,...and my cat Spank is kindish to her without being mean; yet follows her every move when she appears. I wonder if they'll ever be friends? In the last picture I know she was yawning after the one before it where she was being her coy self;...yet I swear she looks like she's laughing at Spank and me in the last one!!! Ha! {:-)

David

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9488984

Too bad she isnt over here. Its catnip weekend.
I came ever so close to buying one of those blue sky vines at HD this week. I really was afraid of it freezing.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
3:26 AM

Post #9489274

I love that Sky Vine. Better check my HD & see if they have 1.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2013
4:59 AM

Post #9489317

The first Jester's Hat Daylily opened this morning, April 19. Its my favorite and has huge flowers...

tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9489327

The Ocala Papayas: These 2 Solos were rescued from the clearance section of Walmart 3 years ago. Although not looking too great right now, these 2 are well on their way to an interesting season. After having had to wrap them at least a dozen times since Nov 2012, they are quickly growing and flowering already. Question is do I cut that last papaya from last season off? or do I wait and see if it will ever ripen? The pic with my granddaughter was taken on Oct 30

Thumbnail by tony9779   Thumbnail by tony9779         

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9489407

I have been slacking on taking pics of my flowers and yard. Been so busy working in it, have not had the time to sit back and admire it. LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9489558

I've seen a few patches of Spider Work along the 3 walking routes I take. I need to go back with a bag & digger & adopt them. Also saw a drainage ditch full of beautiful yellow cannas. Just love nature.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9489627

I would definitely scoop up those cannas if I saw them growing in a drainage ditch.

I took a walk through a neighborhood once and took fingernail bromeliads out of a yard at an abandoned house.

No one seemed to miss them. LOL

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9489811

Tony,

My first thought is to cut it now anyway. Regardless of outside coloring, and if it feels soft to the touch like a ripe Avocado cut it. It is amazing you even have that on a bush looking that good to me;...knowing how much colder Ocala gets then even here. Great job of saving! The old fruits will drain energy from this new years growth for sure and may not benefit in flavor for hanging on. These are just my thoughtsand am sure others will have some to share.

Your Granddaugter is adorable with her curly red hair. Always remind her that few folk have that color hair compared to others these days, and she shines like the Sun,... especially when the Sun is Shining on her!

Happy Gardening!,

David

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9490921

These Carrots are going in a big ole' pot of chicken noodle soup with other veggies from the garden tonight!

David

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9491080

We decided to do dumplings instead of noodles. It has carrots, turnips, green onions, Swiss chard, and beans from the garden. I had 2 and a half bowls altogether after photographing this one with a couple of the fresh produce!

Gotta' love the veggies in the gardens!

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9491127

Went to the St Augustine plant show today. It was COLD & WET but oh what FANTASTIC plants. And the gardens at the Ag center are WONDERFUL. Hollyhocks over 6' tall surrounded by rhubarb (which I did not think grew down here) and poppies 3' tall. I got a pot of black bamboo. Planned to loop back & get a few other plants but by then my feet were soaked & the rain was coming down harder. I plan to go back over tomorrow afternoon.

Soup looks wonderful!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9491132

The soup looks awesome, and what a great day to make it.
I can take cold, and I can take wet, but the two mixed, like today. YUK

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9492065

And the soup was awesomely wonderful and I will have more tonight!

We had the most incredible rain in DeLand today, and now I can get the Amaranthus and a few other things in because of it. These empty spots around in the parkway and in front of the fence/screen are where they are going this week.

This message was edited Apr 21, 2013 3:47 PM

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9493033

Those of you that got a good rain this weekend, consider yourself lucky. We barely got an inch of rain all weekend long. My rain barrels are still empty.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9493104

I'll gladly send you some if you will send some sunshine over here. Still pouring on & off. Need to go empty the rain gauge.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9493111

Q, if I had some sun here I would gladly send it to you. All we have had since Friday, was gray overcast skies. No real rain and no sun.

the only good thing with that, is that is is not too hot outside to work in the yard.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9493198

We got a load of rain yesterday afternoon. I could have danced it was so beautiful. Today is gray sky so maybe we will get more I hope.

Bonnie

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9493463

The miniature gardens are still looking ragged after Winter but survived well. Since its still early into 2013, these are a few shots of how they look now. Leaves, weeds and all. I still like them though. They will get weeded and trimmed like the big ones sooner or later!

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9493505

David,
Love the old cars. I'd like to have an old T-bucket for a planter. Heck I'd like to have one to drive on the road. To me they are really cool.
Bonnie

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2013
3:53 AM

Post #9494091

Ha! I have often thought Bonnie, that if someone would trade me a Model T or A in excellent condition for my F150 I would do it! No computer chips or electronics to go out, and easy to work on!

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2013
5:18 AM

Post #9494127

OMG David..that is so cute! Love the mini gardens!

Shauna

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 24, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9496027

I'm glad you like them Shauna and thank you. They will look better soon!

April 24th and a few more pics of this early season around here:

1. The Lemon Cucumbers are climbing and the Giant Kohlrabi are taking the heat so far...
2. Still greening up...
3. Already time to start pruning around the pond area...
4. I like making hypertufa pots, and this style is one of my favorites. I like to try and make them look like old carved Coquina rock. This one has a plant I bought seeds for this year called Chaenorhinum. I hope it grows!
5. Corsican Violets. I bought these seeds at the same time, and it is time to move them up and out. They are supposed to be perrenial and heat tolerant.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2013
4:14 AM

Post #9496390

David - very peaceful looking...

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9496974

Some Veggie pics around here today. April 25, 2013.

Keep up the good works!

David

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9496979

Looking good as always David!

I have one of those old fashioned wash tubs too and I have used mine for the water lilies I got at Bonnie's RU.

I am thinking about ways to get creative and using it as a waterfall for my turtle pond. Water lilies growing at the top of the fall and the water falling down rocks into the pond.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9496986

...Just some more random April 25 pics around here...

Happy Spring Florida Gardening!

David

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9497012

I'm really glad you joined DG Shauna. I have no doubts that you are, and are going be a gardener for life. I love your Hibiscus collection, and I am a huge Hibiscus person too. Thank you or the kind words.

Actually,...that reminded me to run out and get a shot of my first Hibiscus schizopetalus bloom of the year which just happened today. The later blooms are prettier, and this one is already fading from the Sun today...

Hibiscus' rule!

David

Plant_Thang
Jacksonville, FL

April 25, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9497035

If my better half sees that hibiscus David, she's going to be hunting another plant for oub back. Looking good.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9497105

They are the very Hibiscus that has been used to create all of our modern fluffy hybrids Charlie. To me they are to the Hibiscus world, what the Cycads are to Palms. They are themselves, and have been here a long, long, time...

It is one Yolie will definitely want to add!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9497146

David - that hibiscus flower is amazing. I got 1/2 my plants in the ground today. Of course that involved moving a few others.

I was going to toss 2 (supposedly hardy) hibiscus that froze back & have not re-emerged. When I went to dig them up the roots looked very hardy. Do you think they will eventually put out some new shoots? If they do come back to life I'll have to make sure & cover them next winter. One bloomed the most amazing yellow last year and was still blooming when it got frosted.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9497165

Yes Jean. If the roots look hardy and are grabbing the ground they almost surely will come back;... and fast when they start too! Mature root stock creates a bush in a season...even after taken to the ground during Winter.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9497966

Thanks David. Hopefully they will soon start getting some new growth.

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 26, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9497970

I have a very similar hibiscus schizopetalus to that Dave, but mine has 2 different types of blooms.

Although mine has not bloomed yet. (pic is when I first bought it)

Thumbnail by shauna1219

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2013
4:33 AM

Post #9498718

I knew you were a real Hibiscus gal Shauna! They frequently put cuttings from different plants in pots and grow them together. I usually separate them and grow them separately; however I am starting some pots with white, red, and pink Turks Caps.
Some April 27th morning pics before going to work...

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9498825

Really loving the pictures everyone!

I dont know much about computers, but I have been having an impossible time getting on Daves the last few days, it just freezes up. No problem anywhere else. Its really irritating, since Daves is the only one that you have to pay for. I took forever for this page to open. :-(

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9499257

I have had problems on occasion to GG with the site. It all seems to work out the next day though. The good thing is,...that our gardens are still growing with or without the net! I'll bet yours are really waking up now too!
These are early evening shots today around here.

I called out "Spank!!!",... and he actually looked long enough to catch him looking!

Happy Gardening All...

David

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9500114

David I love the mini gardens, I have one and my friend just brought her grand daughter over to see it, I'll be sure to show her the photos of yours on her next visit. I love that hibiscus flower, truly a prize in the garden. You have such a collection of different types of gardening, and I love the handmade pots, especially the one with the chain weaved around it.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9500144

This hanging basket is a large one I used to grow a huge Orchid in. It now has 5 one gallon nursery pots of 3 Gaillardia and 2 Beach Sunflower, and a couple of small pots of violas. I took some Spanish Moss and covered up the pots. I have great expectations for cascading things soon. We'll see if it works out!

David

4/28/2013

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9500229

Here is what I did the past 2 days.
1 - before - the River Birch was put in last year. There is some nice grass btwn it & the house but not below it. I was standing on the road to take the during & after pics.
2 - during - pulled out allt he weeds in a triangle shape with the RB at the top
3 - after - 2 red knock out roses, 2 TX Sage, a row of purple Mexican petunias (transplanted form the front garden) at the back, and a row of short white MP across the front.

I think I'll add some pink & purple Verbena I currently have in pots. Would also like something med tall & white in there.

Had hoped to get the mulch down in the garden you see in the background but I ran out so steam!!!! Figure I'll get that down btwn rain showers this week.

Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter      

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9500324

Its always great hearing from you Jean. ( I learned your name from the quilting forum!)

You really do have a lot of great space to work with and I love Islands! Its looking great.

From my own trials and errors I would like to share some thoughts though,... about the plantings before they get to established...

Texas sages can really get big in a couple of years. Mine are now ( some ) 6 to 8 feet high and need to be chopped! ( they need that every year or two anyway to keep them bushy ) It may be possible that they should be behind the Knockouts and to the back and sides of the Birch for in the future. Knockouts flanking the Birch on either side in front,... and lower Annuals/Perrenials and such around the front edges.

I mean well, and am not intending to be bossy or "Know it all", and am just sharing thoughts like a gardening neighbor across the fence!

I love your new Island and am looking forward to seeing it develop and grow!

Thank you for sharing the new pic's!!!

David
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
4:24 AM

Post #9500741

David - do appreciate the input. Didn't realize the sage would get that tall. I was hoping to keep them ~3' tall. My goal with the Knock Outs was to let them get "floppy". Not obvious on the photo, that spot is on a down slope and also bigger than it appears. And I can always make it bigger!!!!!

Of course we didn't get the rain overnite into this AM so I'm having to runt he sprinklers this AM. Luckily we don't have any "sprinkler Police" back here as this is not my day to be doing this.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
5:06 AM

Post #9500773

It looks great just the way you have it Jean,...

I forget some folk trim their stuff more regularly then "David and his Jungle"...HaHaHaHaHa!

Sages look great when maintained and can easily be kept at 3 feet. I love sages, and admittedly let mine go a little 'au naturale' to long before trimming them.

That giant back Island with the perfect Sagos is great!

David

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9500917

Jean, the island area looks great! I'll second what David says, that it will be nice to watch it grow throughout the season.

David, I am the kind of person who looks for the plants with different colored blooms. I love the look of one plant that produces different colored blooms.

Was lucky and caught 2 open blooms off one of my hibiscuses this weekend.

Thumbnail by shauna1219

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9500925

A beautiful picture of a beautiful Hibiscus Shauna!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9500989

David - love that rooster!!!!! Are your gardens ready for "Company"? Was thinking I might head south to the quilt shop soon.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9501005

Qwilter (Jean), the island looks really nice, sure is neat to see the before and after shots of someone's hard work.

Pretty blooms Shauna. By the way did the passifloras take hold for you I cut? Only one cutting I got from Bonnie's took and that is the Chinese lantern plant, but I'm glad it is that one.

FYI - I re-did my avatar and it came out nice and clear this time, think there was some kind of glitch in DG's that was making them look blurry. I like your new Avatar David, I need to find a gardening turtle avatar since I like turtles.

-Sherri

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9501007

Well while I was typing you changed your rooster avatar. ☺ I liked the rooster.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9501012

Jean,

The Pirate Rooster is one of my artworks and I thought the cabbage looked better! Ha! Which did you like better as an avatar?

Just let me know when your heading this way!

David

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9501115

Sherri, yes...one of the cuttings has rooted and seems to be growing well. Other than that, I didn't have a whole lot of luck with the cuttings from the RU.

David, I missed the rooster, but the cabbage loks nice n bright! Really catches your eye!

Shauna

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9501151

Shauna,

They've fixed the avatar program now so that the pictures aren't so blurry. If you go in and redo your picture it should come out pretty and much clearer.

Heres the rooster so you can see him better. Thank you!

Q, The only reason I told DG'rs who might stop by to come later after the last freezes was only because I wanted them to see everything blooming the first time. But anyone is welcome to stop by anytime! Folk do all the time.

It is true that in about 3 weeks many things will be starting to bloom here that I would like you to see! (That amazingly late March cold blast setback things a month here!) The Amaranthus which are normally already up and glowing will be better in a few weeks to and are finally growing. I'll have a few to send home with you to add to your new bed! Wow those neighbors!!!

David

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9501382

I like the Rooster!!!! He has "personality"!!!!

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9501405

The green of the cabbage really stands out, but the rooster does have "personality".
tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9501522

Here is the Black Tacca (Batflower) today. The other is the shadow of the flower as it is cast against the house. The other bloom is a Coralbush- Jatropha multifida

This message was edited Apr 29, 2013 3:53 PM

Thumbnail by tony9779   Thumbnail by tony9779   Thumbnail by tony9779      

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9501587

That bat is wonderful!!!! I've never seen anything like that.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9501614

Shauna I'm glad the passi's worked for you. I love the Scarlet Crimson and the caterpillars don't eat that one. I have my first blooms today and they'll bloom all the way till they freeze.

Tony what an usual flower, I can see why it is called a batflower.

David I want to come visit also, and see the fish pool. I sure hope my Amaranthus seeds start doing something, I've moved the little peat pots into the garden soil this week now that I'm back home to keep an eye on them, at least they haven't died out. I really want that plant in my garden.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 29, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9501647

Tony,

The Shadowy picture has a "Nosferatu" feel from the 1922 Vampire flick! Thats fun and Love it. Thanks for sharing the pics. That Jatropha is something we all need!

How did I miss your earlier messages Sherri? Scrolling down to fast I suppose...

The Monarch caterpillar pic looks great now with the cleared up images as does Shauna's Rose, and I had a brain fart with naming my recent past avatar a Cabbage which is actually a Collard... Ha!

Since you gals liked the Pirate Rooster better, I am putting him back as the avatar for now. He was a commissioned piece by a group that wanted a logo for a new line of beer they were planning to launch called "Sea Cock". The commission was for a pirate rooster that had a peg leg that was a seacock. This is what a seacock is:

"A seacock is a valve on the hull of a boat or a ship, permitting water to flow into the boat, such as for cooling an engine or for a salt water faucet; or out of the boat..."

Anyway I was paid well until the final payment didn't come in and their deal fell through. Sooooo;... He's still mine to share! Thank you for liking him!

It will still be fun to change our avatars from time to time...Hmmmmm? What will the Holidays bring!

This message was edited Apr 29, 2013 5:44 PM
Nefitara
Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9501834

Sunkissed, I love your garden! Beautiful!

David, how did you get your carrots so big? I have a problem growing them. You guys are all amazing. I'm trying to learn as I read and look at pictures. I love your garden too David...I'm jealous. I have so much to learn about veggies :( I have 2 green thumbs and when it comes to veggies, my thumbs seem to disappear...lol. Sad...I know.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2013
5:23 AM

Post #9502331

Hello Tara,

The carrots were grown in white plastic 4 legged laundry tubs. I've been using tubs for carrots for years now and it works really well,...and away from the chickens when I let them out! Ha!

If you can grow ornamentals you can grow veggies. Speaking of veggies,...I just cleaned my Tilapia pool and put the leaves, fish poop and poop water on them. Wow the difference in a couple of days even!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9502378

I can never get a good straight carrot either. Davids do look great.
Nefitara
Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9502549

Wow David, that's a good idea about growing the carrots in a tub! May I ask how you control the insects around your veggie garden?

I agree with you Gardenglory :)
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9502603

David, would you mind starting a part 2 of this thread. Its gotten over 200 replies now, and its about that time.

tony9779
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9503347

David,
That Jatropha has been visiting my garage during the freezes for the past 8 years or so. It is now about 6 feet high. It's produced a few seeds over years but they haven't germinated.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9504213

This thread has gotten to long but has been fun. I've enjoyed all the shared stories, pictures and info. on it and am Looking forward to more of your seasonal developments. We are moving from here to:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1310369/

Welcome,... and hope to hear and see from more of you!

David

This message was edited May 1, 2013 12:54 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America