Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Irises: Iris with sunlight

Communities > Forums > Irises
bookmark
Forum: IrisesReplies: 2, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9441173

This Iris pallida 'Argentea Variegata' has been struggling since I planted it. It actually is smaller than it was, but finally looks more healthy now. Looking closely there is a baby Iris growing on the right side. Do they like fertilizer and if so what kind? Thanks for any assistance. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themikesmom

themikesmom
Concord, NC

March 7, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9441833

we grow many pallidas but the non-varigated variety called Dalmatica and Princess Beatrice and were getting Empress of India this year, they love bonemeal in the Spring something like 4-10-10 or 10-10-4 i believe in the fall, we usually put the bonemeal down with epsoma bulbtone that has the benificial microorganisms and the alfalfa meal in it down about a week or two after the bonemeal, they also like their roots gnarled up real close to the surface as they do not like much water or moisture or to be planted too deep. they do fairly well in semi shaded areas too where as most TB iris need direct sun, they also do not need to be separated as much as other bearded iris species like germanicas, they seem to like to be crowded to some degree forming large colonies especially at abandoned homesites and in the wild. I guess this makes sense as they come from the dalmatica coast of former yugoslavia near present day croatia which is very arid and windy and cold at night kinda like a desert I understand with alot of rocky vegetation-less cliffs where no ones around to divide them and not alot of rain either.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2013
11:09 AM

Post #9441911

thanks a million themikesmom for all the useful information. I have tons of Bearded Iris but only this one of any other types. xuling

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Irises Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Irises forum dave 25 Jul 7, 2011 8:35 AM
autopsy photo! miss_kitty 10 Jun 11, 2013 1:18 PM
Another Iris? in need of identification mgh 33 Jul 6, 2007 10:03 PM
Trail Of Tears Iris starlight1153 15 May 2, 2010 6:44 PM
How to Hybridize Iris tazzy 23 Sep 18, 2007 1:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America