AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2013
9:00 PM

Post #9441439

This is the first year I am growing this variety of Pepper :Doux D'Espagne or Spanish Mammoth
from Baker Creek Seeds: http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-p-z/peppers/sweet/doux-d-espagne-or-spanish-mammoth-pepper.html

I seeded six seeds and only one germinated (January 29th). It is growing so slow.
Behind you can see a Pepper plant I started on January 11th.

Pictures 3,4 and 5: other Pepper varieties I started on January 11th.

Does anybody have any experience with this variety?

Sorry for the blurry picture. This plant didn't like to be photograph.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2013 11:02 PM

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9458252

This will be my third year for growing this pepper. Everyone who has tasted this pepper loves it. Very productive, too. Because I love stuffed peppers so much, this will always have a place in my garden.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9458453

Thank you so much.
Was your pepper also growing so slow?
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9459490

It seems to grow at the same rate as the rest of the peppers that I grow. You might try a little fish fertilizer or something similar as a kick in the pants to get it going. Hang in there. Your patience will be well rewarded.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9459902

Thanks.
I have been treating this plant like the other peppers and it is growing 1/3 compare to the others.
Maybe it is the seed's source. I got mine from Baker Creek, do you remember where you bought your seeds?
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9460250

Mine also came from Baker Creek. And it was seed left over from last year. Gardening is not an exact science and usually involves a certain amount of luck. Some things can't always be explained. Just do whatever you think might help. But a little extra feeding might do the trick. And I want to emphasize the word "little".

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 1:10 PM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2013
10:59 AM

Post #9465015

Doux D'Espagne or Spanish Mammoth finally grew.
It is still half size of the other pepper plants ...
It doesn't like to be photograph ... the plant is the one on the right of this picture.

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2014
7:14 PM

Post #9829217

What did you think of Doux d'Espagne? I grew it last year and liked it, but this year I had to sow it twice in my flats and so far only one has come up, from the second sowing. They were last year's seeds, but still!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2014
4:38 AM

Post #9829386

I didn't have many peppers from this plant, but the one I did harvest were huge and so good.
The wall is really thick and they were really sweet.
I told to Baker Creek about the problem with their germination and they sent me 2 new packages. The new seeds did germinate really good this year.
The plants have been out already for a month I think ... they have green peppers maybe 5" long already.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2014
4:57 AM

Post #9829395

That was nice of them to respond that way! If I get peppers from this seedling I'll try saving my own seeds for next year.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America